List of Russian Americans
This is a list of notable Russian Americans, including both original immigrants who obtained American citizenship and their American descendants.
|Lists of Americans|
|By U.S. state|
|By ethnicity or nationality|
|Afghan · African American · Albanian · Arab · Argentine · Armenian · Austrian|
Bahamian · Bangladeshi · Barbadian · Belgian · Brazilian · Bulgarian
Cajun · Cambodian · Chinese · Colombian · Croatian · Cuban · Czech
Danish · Dutch
English · Estonian
Filipino · Finnish · French
German · Greek
Haitian · Hispanic/Latino · Hmong · Hungarian
Indian · Indonesian · Iranian · Irish · Israeli · Italian
Jamaican · Japanese · Jewish
Laotian · Lebanese · Louisiana Creole
Macedonian · Mexican
Native American · Native Hawaiian · Nicaraguan · Nigerian · Norwegian
Pakistani · Palestinian · Polish · Portuguese · Puerto Ricans
Romanian · Russian · Rusyn
Salvadoran · Scotch-Irish · Scottish · Serbian · Slovak · Slovenian · Spanish · Sri Lankan · Swedish · Swiss
Taiwanese · Turkish
To be included in this list, the person must have a Wikipedia article showing they are Russian American or must have references showing they are Russian American and are notable.
- Olga Kurylenko,Actress(her parents emigrated from USSR)
- Michael Bay, American film director and producer (Bay's grandfather was Russian)
- Isabelle Fuhrman, actress (Mother, Elena Fuhrman, is Russian, making her half Russian)
- Dianna Agron, actress, father is of Russian ancestry 
- Pamela Anderson, Canadian-American actress, sex symbol, activist known for her roles on the television series Baywatch, mother is of Russian ancestry
- Darren Aronofsky, film director
- René Auberjonois, Tony Award-winning character actor (and grandson of the painter), best known for his early 1980s role as Clayton Endicott III on the television show Benson and his role as Odo on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- Olga Baclanova, actress
- Eric Balfour, actor, portraying Milo Pressman in 24, is of Russian, French and Native American ancestry
- Sasha Barrese, actress of Irish, Dutch, American Indian, and Russian descent
- Mikhail Baryshnikov, dancer and actor, immigrant from Russia
- Agnes Bruckner, actress, mother is Russian background
- Michael Bolton, singer, grandparents were Jewish immigrants from Russia 
- Yul Brynner, Russian-born American actor, won Academy Award
- Cheryl Burke, professional dancer is well known for starring on the television series Dancing with the Stars, father is Russian and Irish descent
- Amanda Bynes, actress
- Eddie Cantor, actor and dancer, parents were Jewish immigrants from Russia
- Michael Chekhov, actor and dancer, immigrant from Russia
- Jennifer Connelly, actress, mother is of Jewish Russian-Polish descent
- David Copperfield, illusionist and stage magician, paternal grandparents were Jewish immigrants from Russua.
- Gavin DeGraw, musician of Russian and Irish ancestry.
- Alexis Denisof, actor, father is of mostly Russian ancestry
- Leonardo DiCaprio, actor, Golden Globe and a Silver Bear Award winner, maternal grandparents are immigrants from Russia
- Kirk Douglas, actor, born to Russian Jewish parents
- Michael Douglas, actor, his father Kirk (also an actor) is of Russian Jewish descent
- Jim Downey (comedian), comedy writer.
- Robert Downey Jr, actor, paternal grandfather was of Russian Jewish ancestry
- Robert Downey Sr, director, father was of Russian Jewish ancestry
- Michael Dudikoff, actor, father is an immigrant from Russia
- Val Emmich, singer-songwriter and actor of Italian, Russian, and German ancestry
- Peter Falk, born to a Polish father and a Russian mother.
- Harrison Ford, actor, mother was of Russian Jewish descent
- James Franco, actor, mother of Russian Jewish descent
- Drew Fuller, actor of Russian, Scottish and English heritage
- Edward Furlong, actor, the star of such film as Terminator 2 and American History X, his father is of Russian origin
- Galen Gering, actor of Russian Jewish and Spanish descent
- Samuel Goldwyn, director and producer
- Tony Goldwyn, actor
- Katerina Graham, actress, singer, record producer, dancer, and model, mother of Russian Jewish ancestry
- Seth Green, actor, part Russian Jewish ancestry
- Maggie Gyllenhaal, her mother Naomi Foner Gyllenhaal is of Russian Jewish descent
- Jake Gyllenhaal, his mother Naomi Foner Gyllenhaal is of Russian Jewish descent
- Ben Harper, singer-songwriter, Jewish mother of Russian and Lithuanian ancestry 
- David Homyk, singer-songwriter, record producer, actor, and commercial model, is of Egyptian, Ukrainian, Russian, English, Welsh, Scottish-Irish ancestry.
- Zola Jesus, singer-songwriter, parents are immigrants from Russia
- Kidada Jones, actress, model, and fashion designer, daughter of actress Peggy Lipton and musician Quincy Jones
- Rashida Jones, actress, model, and musician, daughter of actress Peggy Lipton
- Jon Bon Jovi, musician, mother is of part Russian descent
- Milla Jovovich, actress and model, born in Kiev to a Russian mother and a Serbian father
- Stacy Kamano, actress of German, Russian, Polish and Japanese descent
- Lila Kedrova, Russian-born French-American actress, won Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress
- Justin Kirk, stage and film actor, mother is of Russian Jewish descent 
- Charles Klapow, American choreographer and dance instructor, Emmy Award winner, father of Russian origin
- Lenny Kravitz, American Singer
- Zoë Kravitz, American actress, singer and model daughter of Lenny Kravitz
- Mila Kunis, Russian-born actress
- Joe Lando, film actor
- Maria Lark, Russian-born television actress
- Margarita Levieva, Russian-born American actress. Born in the Soviet Union, she was a professional gymnast before going on to star in the films The Invisible, Adventureland and Spread
- Peggy Lipton, actress, paternal grandparets were of Russian Jewish ancestry
- Karina Lombard, actress and singer of Lakota Sioux, Russian, Italian and Swiss
- Marlee Matlin Actress who starred in Children of a Lesser God
- Walter Matthau, actor and comedian, father was a Jewish immigrant from Russia
- Wentworth Miller, actor, played Michael Scofield in the television series Prison Break. Mother is part Russian
- Sarah Natochenny, actress
- Larisa Oleynik, actress (Mad Men, 3rd Rock from the Sun), Russian father
- Mandy Patinkin, actor and singer
- Sean Penn, two-time Academy Award winning actor, paternal grandparents Jewish immigrants from Russia and Lithuania
- Michael Perretta, American hip hop musician, better known as Evidence, Russian mother
- Joaquin Phoenix, actor, Jewish mother of Russian and Hungarian ancestry 
- River Phoenix (1970–1993), actor, Jewish mother of Russian and Hungarian ancestry 
- Bronson Pinchot, actor, father is of Russian ancestry
- Natalie Portman, actor, mother is of partial Jewish Russian ancestry
- Sam Raimi, Jewish American film, producer, actor and writer, whose parents came from Russia and Hungary
- Ted Raimi, actor and brother of San Raimi
- Raven, drag queen and reality-television star
- Don Rickles, actor and comedian
- Natalya Rudakova, actress
- Olesya Rulin, actress and singer, immigrant from Russua
- Melanie Safka-Schekeryk Folk Singer. father is of Russian and Ukrainian ancestry
- Nicole Scherzinger, American singer, actress and dancer, lead of the group The Pussycat Dolls, mother is of partial Russian ancestry
- Regina Spektor, Jewish-Russian born American singer-songwriter and pianist, born in Moscow
- Princess Superstar, musician, father is of Russian Jewish descent
- Michelle Trachtenberg, television and film actress, mother is a Jewish immigrant from Russia 
- Liv Tyler, actress of part-Russian descent
- Lana Wood, actress, parents were immigrants from Russia
- Natalie Wood (1938–1981), Academy Award-nominated actress, won a Golden Globe, parents were immigrants from Russia
- Anton Yelchin, actor, Jewish immigrant from Russia
- Elena Zoubareva, opera singer, immigrant from Russua
Visual Art 
- Israel Tsvaygenbaum, Russian-American Painter and Russian Jewish descent
- Isaac Asimov, science fiction writer
- Reginald Bretnor, science fiction and fantasy writer
- Joseph Brodsky, Nobel Prize in Literature 1987
- Michael Dorfman, writer
- Sergei Dovlatov, short story writer and novelist
- Vladimir Nabokov, writer
- Ayn Rand, philosopher and novelist
- Michael Rostovtzeff, writer
- David Shrayer-Petrov, Moscow-born author, medical scientist, and former refusenik
- Maxim D. Shrayer, Moscow-born bilingual author, literary scholar and translator
- Gary Shteyngart, Russian-born writer
- Michelle Izmaylov, Russian-American science fiction and fantasy writer
- Alexei A. Abrikosov, theoretical physicist
- George Gamow, astrophysicist
- Lera Boroditsky, cognitive scientist
- Vladimir Nikolayevich Ipatieff, chemist
- Alexander Nikolayevich Lodygin, electrical engineer and inventor, one of inventors of the incandescent light bulb
- Sergei Khrushchev, professor & son of former Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev
- Wassily Leontief, economist, Nobel Prize 1973
- Abraham Maslow, psychologist
- Alexander Shulgin, pharmacologist, chemist and drug developer
- Igor Sikorsky, helicopter designer
- Otto Struve, astrophysicist
- Leon Theremin, physicist, inventor of Theremin
- Stephen Timoshenko, material physicist
- Vladimir Kosma Zworykin, one of the inventors of television
- Benjamin Agosto, ice dancer.
- Jack Babashoff, Olympic Swimmer - Silver medalist
- Shirley Babashoff, Olympic Swimmer - Gold/Silver medalist
- Mohini Bhardwaj, gymnast.
- Fred Biletnikoff, football wide receiver and coach.
- Sue Bird, professional women's basketball player.
- Alex Bogomolov, Jr., professional tennis player.
- Nathan Bor, boxer.
- Maxim Dlugy, grandmaster of chess.
- Rod Dyachenko, footballer.
- Bill Goldberg, former professional wrestler.
- Red Holzman, basketball player and coach.
- Irving Jaffee, speed skater.
- Anna Kotchneva, gymnast.
- Vladimir Kozlov, professional wrestler.
- Andrei Kirilenko, Basketball player.
- Varvara Lepchenko, professional tennis player.
- Valeri Liukin, artistic gymnast.
- Nastia Liukin, gymnast.
- Frank Mir, American mixed martial artist.
- Evgeni Nabokov, San Jose Sharks' former Goalie.
- Patrick O'Neal (sportscaster), studio host and reporter.
- Denis Petukhov, figure skater.
- Sergei Raad, soccer player.
- Andy Seminick, professional baseball player.
- Kerri Strug, gymnast.
- Nikolai Volkoff, professional wrestler.
- Ted Williams, American Major League Baseball left fielder.
- Johnny Weir, figure skater
- Anya Monzikova, model and actress born in Vologda
- Kaitlyn Hall,
- Michele Merkin, model and television host, also of Swedish and Russian Jewish descent
- Josie Maran, model of Russian descent
- Erika Harold, Miss America 2003, mother is Native-American, African-American and Russian descent.*
- Angelika Kallio, model born in Riga
- Irina Pantaeva, model and actress born in Ulan-Ude
- Sasha Pivovarova, model born in Moscow
- Natasha Poly, model born in Perm
- Vlada Roslyakova, model born in Omsk
- Tatiana Sorokko, model and fashion writer born in Arzamas-16
- Valentina Zelyaeva, model born in Moscow
- Eugenia Volodina, model born in Kazan
- Tatiana Kovylina, model born in Kazan
- Daria Strokous, model born in Moscow
- Ariel X, fetish model, pornographic actress, of Russian, Irish, and Polish descent.
- Igor Sikorsky, helicopter designer and inventor
- John Basil Turchin, Union army general in the American Civil War
- Boris Pash, Colonel of the US Army
- Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City, founder of Bloomberg business empire
- Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google
- Boris Chaikovsky, founder of Tele-King International
- Alexander Poniatoff, founder of Ampex Corporation
- Alexander P. de Seversky, founder of the Seversky Aircraft Corporation, founder and trustee of the New York Institute of Technology
- Igor Sikorsky, founder of the Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, a leading US helicopter manufacturer
- Serge Sorokko, art dealer, publisher and patron
- Michael Stroukoff, President of the Chase Aircraft Company, founder of the Stroukoff Aircraft Corporation
- André Tchelistcheff, America's most influential post-Prohibition winemaker
- Antuan Bronshtein, convicted murderer and Jewish immigrant
- Peter Demens, is one of the founders of the U.S. city of Saint Petersburg, Florida.
- Anatoli Efimoff, artist
- Betty Freeman, art philanthropist, father was a Russian immigrant
- John A. Gotti, leader of the Gambino Crime Family of the Cosa Nostra. Mother is of Russian descent
- Oleg Kalugin, former head of KGB operations in the United States
- Loren Leman, former lieutenant governor of Alaska, one of his ancestors was a Russian settler who married an indigenous Alutiiq woman in Kodiak while Russia claimed and colonized Alaska centuries ago
- Pitirim Sorokin, founded Harvard Sociology Dept 1930
- Jim Talent, former U.S. Senator, paternal grandparents were Jewish immigrants from Russia
- Anatoly Kashpirovsky, Ukraine-born faith healer who was popular in the USSR
-  "They called her the Russian Tigress. Olga Baclanova (pronounced bahk-LAH-no-vah), sultry Russian actress of stage and film..."
-  "One night in June 1974, the Russian dancer stepped from a stage in Toronto where he was appearing as a guest star with the Bolshoi Ballet concert group and literally ran to freedom. He stepped outside, followed by a crowd of confused fans, and sprinted to a waiting car that spirited him away from Soviet agents into a life of independence in the United States."
- Marx, Arthur (November/December1997). "Talk with Falk". Cigar Aficionado. Retrieved 2009-02-02.
- "I've Got a Crush on Steven Tyler's Grandfather". Huffington Post. January 11, 2011.
-  "Although now an American national, Isaac Asimov was Russian by birth..."
- Vladimir Nabokov - The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition - HighBeam Research
- Amazon.com: Ayn Rand: The Russian Radical: Books: Chris Matthew Sciabarra
- E. R. Bevan: The House of Ptolemy • Preface
- Shteyngart -  "Jewish Russian American writer"
- Lera Boroditsky
- Sikorsky Archives News
- Vladimir Zworykin - Electronic Television System
- Adventures in CyberSound: Zworykin, Vladimir Kosma
- "Interview with Ice Dancers Benjamin Agosto and Tanith Belbin". goldenskate.com. April 28, 2003. Retrieved April 23, 2008.
- Babashoff, Shirley
- "Her Party Life Over, She Returned to Bars" Diane Pucin, Los Angeles Times, July 19, 2001
-  "Some background - my father's name is Herschel Bird and his family is originally from Russia. In fact, our last name is really "Boorda." My great grandfather brought his family through Ellis Island in the early 1900's and we were soon known simply as Bird. This makes me half-Russian (not Czech!). So in my dad's eyes, this gave him a false sense of belonging. Every time I'd say "Dad, stop acting like an American" he would come back with "No one can tell I am not from here" and then attempt to say one of the three Russian words he remembers from his college days. He truly believed that no one would notice, which makes this story even better."
- Thunder sign Dyachenko, Costanzo
- Paul Farhi, "Goldberg: A David in Goliath's Shoes", Washington Post, December 9, 1999.
- Othello Harris, George Kirsch; Claire Nolte (April 2000). Encyclopedia of Ethnicity and Sports in the United States. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 222. ISBN 0-313-29911-0.
- Lepchenko Adjusts Well to Life in the U.S. Retrieved September 19, 2007
- Barron, David (August 9, 2008). "Nastia Liukin a gymnast by birth". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2008-09-11. More than one of
- "No fear for Mir". Torontosun.com. 2010-04-11. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
- O'Neal, Tatum (14 Oct. 2004). "Excerpt from 'A Paper Life'". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- USA Today, December 22, 2005: "U.S. Ice Dancers Keep it in the Family"
- Berger, Ralph. "Andy Seminick Biography at The Baseball Biography Project". Society for American Baseball Research. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- Bill Nowlin, "The Kid: Ted Williams in San Diego", p. 324
- Sikorsky Archives News