List of Saint Joseph's University people
A list of notable alumni, faculty, and benefactors of the Saint Joseph's University.
Politics, law, and activism
- William A. Barrett – Former U.S. Representative (D-PA)
- Melissa Brown – Ophthalmologist; three-time candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives (R-PA)
- E. James Burke – Chief justice of the Wyoming Supreme Court
- William T. Cahill – Six-term U.S. Representative (R-NJ); 46th Governor of New Jersey
- Charles F. Dougherty – Two-term U.S. Representative (R-PA)
- Kevin M. Downing – Attorney for Miller and Chevalier; former prosecutor with the Department of Justice Tax Division handling the KPMG tax shelter fraud and UBS tax evasion scandal
- Charles J. Dunlap, Jr. – Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters United States Air Force, Washington, D.C.
- Clare G. Fenerty – Former from Pennsylvania
- Thomas M. Foglietta – Former U.S. Representative; U.S. Ambassador to Italy
- William J. Green, III – Former U.S. Representative; former Mayor of Philadelphia
- Richard J. Hughes – Former Governor of New Jersey, Former Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, Chairman of the Credentials Committee–1968 Democratic National Convention
- Ronald T. Kadish – Lieutenant General, United States Air Force; former director of the Ballistic Missile Defense Organization and the Missile Defense Agency
- John F. Lehman – Secretary of the Navy under President Ronald Reagan, author, and member of the 9/11 Commission
- Frank LoBiondo – U.S. Representative (R-NJ)
- Kathleen McGinty – secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection; former advisor to Al Gore and Barack Obama
- Joseph McKenna – Former Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court
- Francis J. Myers – Pennsylvania State Senator; U.S. Representative (D-PA)
- Joseph M. Nardi, Jr. – Judge of Superior Court of New Jersey, Burlington County; former Mayor of Camden, New Jersey
- Michael A. O'Pake – Democratic Pennsylvania State Senator, 11th Senatorial District
- Lawrence W. Pierce – Lawyer; federal judge
- Dominic Pileggi – Republican Leader of the Pennsylvania State Senate
- Francis R. Smith – Former U.S. Representative (D-PA)
- Isabel Saint Malo de Alvardo - Vice President of Panama
- Brian Duperreault – CEO, Marsh & McLennan Companies
- Francis J. Erbrick – EMS Technologies Board of Directors
- Andrew von Eschenbach – Acting Chairman of Food and Drug Administration (FDA), former Director of the National Cancer Institute, and Director at BioTime, a biotechnology company
- Robert D. Falese, Jr. – President of the Commercial and Investment Bank, for Commerce Bank Corp.
- John M. Finlayson – Chairman & CEO, Layered Technologies
- Michael J. "Mike" Hagan – Former Chairman/CEO of NutriSystem, Inc.; 2006 Entrepreneur of the Year (Forbes Magazine)
- Daniel J. Hilferty III – President and CEO of Independence Blue Cross.
- Patrick D. Mahoney – CMO, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Edward W. Moneypenny – Senior Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer of 7-Eleven, Inc.; Executive Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer of Covanta Energy Corporation; Chief Financial Officer at two former Fortune 500 companies in the energy industry, Florida Progress Corporation and Oryx Energy Corporation; Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (since May 2006)
- Mary Lou Quinlan – Founder and CEO, Just Ask a Woman; author of Just Ask a Woman: Cracking the Code of What Women Want and How They Buy
- Sister Mary Scullion – Co-founder and executive director, Project H.O.M.E.
- John W. Smithson – CEO of Pennsylvania Manufacturers Corp.; Senior Vice President/Interim President of Saint Joseph's University
- John Patrick Cardinal Foley – Grand Master of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre
- Rev. William J. Byron, S.J. – A priest of the Society of Jesus and former president of The Catholic University of America and the University of Scranton
- David Hollenbach, S.J. – Director of the Center for Human Rights and International Justice at Boston College
- Rev. C. Kevin Gillespie, S.J. – 27th President of Saint Joseph's University
- Cliff Anderson – former NBA player for the Lakers, Cavaliers, and 76ers
- Mike Bantom – former NBA player for the Phoenix Suns, Seattle SuperSonics, New Jersey Nets, Indiana Pacers, and Philadelphia 76ers; silver medalist with the United States national basketball team in the 1972 Summer Olympics
- Debbie Black – former player for the Connecticut Sun of the WNBA; assistant coach, Ohio State University's women's basketball team
- Norman Black - former CBA player for the Lancaster Red Roses, NBA player for the Detroit Pistons, PBA player for the Tefilin, San Miguel Beermen and Magnolia Quench Plus, etc.
- Pat Calathes – Pro basketball player (VTB United League)
- Pat Carroll – Pro basketball player who played for the undefeated Hawks team
- Megan Compain – Member of the 2000 and 2004 New Zealand Women's Olympic Basketball Team
- Bill Cubit – American football coach and former player; current offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Illinois
- Dave Debusschere – American NBA (basketball) and MLB (major league baseball) player; coach
- James "Bruiser" Flint – former college basketball star, former coach of UMass, and current coach for Drexel University
- Matt Guokas – former NBA player, head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers and Orlando Magic, and television broadcaster
- Matt Guokas, Sr. – Player for the Philadelphia Warriors. Later broadcast games for the Philadelphia Eagles for over 30 years
- Gerald Hunsicker – executive with Major League Baseball's Tampa Bay Rays; former general manager of the New York Mets and Houston Astros
- Dwayne Jones – Forward-Center, Orlando Magic
- Joe Lunardi – ESPN college basketball analyst and creator of Bracketology
- Jim Lynam – former NBA head coach of the San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers, Philadelphia 76ers, Washington Bullets
- Ann "Muffet" McGraw – former basketball player at SJU; women's basketball coach at University of Notre Dame
- Jack McKinney – Former NBA head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, Indiana Pacers (1981 Coach of the Year), and Kansas City Kings
- Jamie Moyer – former professional [Pitcher]] for Major League Baseball's Philadelphia Phillies and Seattle Mariners. Currently working as a member of the Philadelphia Phillies broadcast team.
- Jameer Nelson - 2004 Naismith College Player of the Year and current NBA guard for the Dallas Mavericks
- Ahmad Nivins – basketball player
- Jim O'Brien (basketball) – current head coach of the Indiana Pacers and former head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers and Boston Celtics of the NBA
- Vince Papale – former professional football player for the Philadelphia Eagles and inspiration for the Disney movie Invincible
- William Warren Phillips, aka "Bill Phillips" – professional basketball player
- Jack Ramsay – Hall of Fame basketball coach; former NBA head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers, Buffalo Braves, Portland Trail Blazers, and Indiana Pacers
- George Senesky – former NBA player; championship-winning coach
- Mike Teti – 3-time Olympic rower, 12-time national team member, Former USRowing Men's Coach (1997–2008), Current University of California, Berkeley Men's Coach, 3-time Olympic Rowing Coach (1996 – MLW4-, 2000 – M8+, 2004 – M8+)
- Delonte West – NBA Guard, Dallas Mavericks.
- Paul Westhead – former NBA head coach for the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls, and Denver Nuggets and current Head Coach of WNBA Phoenix Mercury
- Jack Whitaker – Emmy award-winning sports broadcaster, CBS & ABC
- Chazz Witherspoon – current Professional Heavyweight Boxer who is 23-0 with 15 KO's
- Ronald Roberts - current power forward for the Philadelphia 76ers
Arts, entertainment, and media
- Joseph Ignatius Breen, American film censor
- Glenn Brenner - Washington, D.C, sportscasting legend for WUSA-TV
- Richard Corliss – Writer/editor, who focuses on films
- Tim Martin Gleason – Actor, singer
- Jeanne Marie Laskas – Award-winning columnist, journalist, and book author
- Gregg Murphy – Emmy Award-winning journalist for CN8 who specializes in sports
- Joe Queenan – Author, critic, and humorist
- Daniel J. Curran – President, University of Dayton[when?]
- F. Gregory Gause – author, political scientist, university professor and Arabist.
- Anthony James Joes, PhD – author of Victorious Insurgencies and other works on insurgency and counterinsurgency.
- Peter J. Woolley – political scientist, author, founding director of the opinion research group, PublicMind.
Saint Joseph's University was technically without a President for a period of months, with Senior Vice President John Smithson serving as interim President of the University. Smithson took on the role when the University's 26th President, Rev. Timothy R. Lannon, S.J., stepped down to assume the Presidency at his own alma mater, Creighton University.
On January 24, 2011, the Board of Trustees elected Rev. Joseph M. O'Keefe, S.J. as the 27th President of the University, but O'Keefe later had to step down, citing health issues; the University subsequently selected Smithson, a former chair of the Board of Trustees, to serve as Interim President and directed its efforts to a Jesuit-only search. Under Smithson, the University began taking steps to complete its Plan 2020: Gateway to the Future.
On November 10, 2011, the University's Board of Trustees announced that it had selected Rev. C. Kevin Gillespie, S.J., Associate Provost of University Centers at Loyola University Chicago, as the 27th President of the University. Gillespie is a member of the University's Class of 1972 and has served as a trustee since 2006. Gillespie is only the second President to also be an alumnus of the University, the first was Rev. Cornelius Gillespie, S.J., who served from 1900-07, and again from 1908-09. Gillespie was formally presented at a reception on November 11, 2011, and formally assumed the Presidency on July 1, 2012. Until that time, the University announced that John Smithson will continue his role as interim President.
Gillespie was inaugurated in a ceremony on October 12, 2012, which culminated a week of school-pride and university activities. Other inauguration week events included a day of community service, an evening of song and prayer, a Mass of Thanksgiving, and a softball game and barbecue for faculty, staff, and students.
- Phil Martelli – Men's basketball coach
- Pat Cullinan – Men's lacrosse coach
- Tom Turner – Men's soccer coach
- Al Laveson – Men's tennis coach
- Fritz Hamburg – Men's baseball coach
- Robert D. Falese, '69, President, CBA&G LLC
- Daniel J. Hilferty, '78, President & CEO, Independence Blue Cross
- Edward D. Loughlin, '73, Executive Vice President, SEI Investments
- Edward W. Moneypenney, '64, CFO (Retired), 7-Eleven, Inc.
- Lynn B. McKee, '83, Executive Vice President, Human Resources,Aramark, Inc.
- Robert J. Caruso, '91, Managing Partner & President, Select Equity Group, Inc.
- A. Bruce Cawley, '67, President, Millennium 3 Management, Inc.
- Rev. Albert J. DiJulio, S.J., Sabbatical
- Gerianne Tringali DiPiano, M.B.A. '92, CEO, FemmePharma Global Healthcare, Inc.
- Marlene S. Dooner, '83, Senior Vice President, Investor Relations, Comcast Corporation
- Rev. Vincent J. Genovesi, S.J., Rector of the Jesuit Community, Saint Joseph's University
- Rev. C. Kevin Gillespie, S.J., '72, Associate Provost for University Centers, Loyola University Chicago, 27th President-elect of Saint Joseph's University
- Ambassador David F. Girard-diCarlo, '70, Member & Shareholder, Cozen O'Connor
- John J. Griffin, Jr., '78, Vice President, J.P. Morgan
- William A. Harvey, Esq., '74, Managing Partner, Klehr Harrison Harvey Branzburg LLP
- Rev. Gregory A. Kalscheur, S.J., Assistant Professor of Law, Boston College Law School
- Michael L. Kempski, '68, Senior Vice President, Beneficial Insurance Services
- Jamie Maguire, '84, President & CEO, Tokio Marine North America
- Joseph J. McLaughlin, Jr., '81, Chairman & CEO, Haverford Trust Co.
- Rev. Bruce T. Morrill, S.J., Edward A. Malloy Professor of Catholic Studies, Vanderbilt University Divinity School
- Maureen A. O'Connor, '86, Civic Volunteer
- Hon. Dominic F. Pileggi, '79, State Senator, Senate of Pennsylvania
- John W. Smithson, '68, M.B.A. '82, Interim President, Saint Joseph's University
- Dennis R. Suplee, Esq, '64, Partner, Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP
- John J. Swanick, CPA, '82, M.B.A. '86, Partner, Grant Thornton, LLP
- Sean F. Sweeney, M.B.A. '94, President/Chief Marketing Officer, Philadelphia Insurance Companies
- Rev. John W. Swope, S.J., President, Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
- Denise Viola-Monahan, '85, Senior Vice President, PNC Bank, N.A.
- Dr. Raymond G. Washington, Jr., '91, General Surgeon, Pinehurst Surgical Clinic, P.A
- Rev. Robert A. Wild, S.J., President-emeritus, Marquette University
- Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., '76, President, Loyola University New Orleans
- Christine M. Wiseman, J.D., President, Saint Xavier University
- Dr. Anthony James Joes, PhD – author of Victorious Insurgencies and numerous other works on insurgency and counterinsurgency
- Dr. Scott McRobert, PhD – Geneticist.
- Joe Lunardi – ESPN bracketologist
- Dr. Jodi Mindell – Professor of psychology
- Dr. Eileen Grogan – Biologist, specializing in evolutionary science.
- Jeffrey Hyson – Historian and pop-culture expert featured in USA Today
- Claire Simmers – Author of "Personal Web Usage in the Workplace"
- Claire Renzetti – Sociologist.
- James J. Maguire '58 – Donor of $15 million. Maguire Campus is named for him.
- Maryanne and John R. Post ’60 – Donors of $13.5 million. Post Hall is named for them and the new library will be as well.
- Brian Duperreault '69 – Donor of $10 million.
- Michael J. Hagan '85 – Donor of $10 million. Hagan Arena is named for him
- Bernadette B. and James J. Nealis '69 – Donors of $2.5 million.
- H.F. Lenfest – Donor of $1 million.
- Erbrick profile, ems-t.com; accessed September 6, 2014.
- Daniel J. Hilferty, Saint Joseph's University. Accessed December 1, 2014.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers website, ieee.org; accessed September 6, 2014.
- Shapiro, Leonard (January 15, 1992). "Glenn Brenner Succumbs to Brain Tumor at 44". Washington Post.
- Anthony Joes profile, sju.edu; accessed September 6, 2014.
- Woolley profile, FDU Magazine Online, vol 17, No. 1, Summer/Fall 2009.
- Rev. Cornelius Gillespie, S.J. profile, sju.edu; accessed September 6, 2014.
- Reference to Dr. Anthony James Joes, historybookclub.com; accessed September 6, 2014.
- Reference to Dr. Anthony James Joes, sju.edu; accessed September 6, 2014.
- Scott McRobert reference, sju.edu; accessed September 6, 2014.
- "Can't Sleep? Turn Off the Cell Phone!" (reference to Dr. Jodi Mindell), TIME.com; accessed September 6, 2014.
- "There Are Sharks in Those Hills!", sju.edu; accessed September 6, 2014.
- "Indiana Jones the Hero" by Jeffrey Hyson, usatoday.com;m accessed September 6, 2014.
- "March Madness Slams Business" by Claire Simmers, newsweek.com; accessed September 6, 2014.
- Not So Different After All (reference to Claire Renzetti), newsweek.com; accessed September 6, 2014.