List of Saint Thomas Christians
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
|Part of a series on|
|Saint Thomas Christians
|Nasrani · Mar Thoma Nasrani · Syrian Christians|
|Saint Thomas · Thomas of Cana · Mar Sabor and Mar Proth · Tharisapalli plates · Synod of Diamper · Coonan Cross Oath|
|Monuments · Churches · Shrines · Liturgical language · Church music|
|Paremmakkal Thoma Kathanar · Abraham Malpan · Gheevarghese Mar Gregorios of Parumala · Marth Alphonsa · Mar Kuriakose Elias Chavara · Mar Varghese Payyappilly Palakkappilly · Thoma of Villarvattom|
This is a list of Saint Thomas Christians who have made significant contribution to public service, science, sports, literature and the arts.
Politics and public service
- T M Varghese
- Kandathil Mammen Mapilah
- Joseph Mundasseri
- Ponkunnam Varkey
- C J Thomas
- D C Kizhakkemuri
- P T Chacko
- C M Stephen
- Varghese vaidyan
- Barrister George Joseph
- Thevarthundiyil Titus
- P J Kurien
- C P Mathew
Science and technology
- Abraham Verghese, American medico and author
- Dr. Benjamin Pulimood, Director/Principal of the Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, and president of the Indian Society of Gastroenterology.
Judicial and government service
- George Mathan (1819–1870), First Native Anglican Priest and Writer
- Abraham Malpan (1795–1845), leader of reformation in Malankara Syrian Church
- Abraham Mar Thoma (1917–1947), Mar Thoma XVII of Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church
- Alexander Mar Thoma (1953–2000), Mar Thoma XIX of Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church
- Baselios Thoma Didymos I, Supreme Head & Catholicos of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church
- Baselios Thomas I, Supreme Head & Catholicos of Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
- Joseph Mar Thoma, Supreme Head & Marthoma XXI of Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church
- Cheppad Philipose Mar Dionysius (1825–1855), Mar Thoma XII
- George Menachery (born 1938), historian, editor of the St. Thomas Christian Encyclopedia of India
- Saint Gregorios Geevarghese, (Parumala Thirumeni) of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church
- Acharya K K Chandy, Founder Member - Christavashram, Kottayam.
- Joshua Mar Ignathios, Bishop of the Eparchy of Mavelikara.
- Juhanon Mar Thoma (1937–1976), Mar Thoma XVIII of Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church
- Mar Ivanios, Servant of God, OIC (1882–1953).
- Mar Abraham Kattumana, Former Titular Archbishop of Cebarades and pontifical delegate of Syro Malabar Church
- Mar Sebastian Mankuzhikary (1818–1877), first bishop of Thamarasserry
- Mar Thoma I (1653–1670), first bishop of the Malankara Church
- Mathews Mar Athanasius, Metropolitan (1818–1877), Mar Thoma XIII
- Sadhu Kochoonju Upadesi, Christian preacher, poet and composer.
- V.C. Samuel Syrian Orthodox Theologian and Church Historian
- K. V. Simon, poet and Mahakavi (an honorific meaning Great Poet)
- Sebastian Kappen, liberation theologian
- Varghese Payyappilly Palakkappilly, Servant of God and the founder of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Destitute.
- Cardinal Mar Varkey Vithayathil, head and major archbishop of Syro Malabar Church
- Mar Joseph Powathil, Archbishop of Syro-Malabar Catholic Archdiocese of Changanassery
- Cardinal Mar Antony Padiyara, Syro-Malabar Catholic Archdiocese of Changanassery
- George Abraham Thampy, Winner of the Scripps National Spelling Bee in 2000
- Matthew Eappen, Baby who was murdered in the Louise Woodward case
- Vinod Thomas, Director-General of Independent Evaluation Group), World Bank
- , Fire in the Belly, With eggs: India's Missile woman: Tessy Thomas; 28th April 2012
- Devika, J. (2005). Herself. Popular Prakashan. p. xxiv.
- 1. Mathew Vaidyan K.L. Fr.Dr. Chief Editor; Vaidikarude Vaidikan, Commemorative Volume, Rev.Dr.V.C.Samuel Ecumenical Forum, Konni, India 2001, 2. Kuriakose M.K. Fr. Orthodox Identity in India: Essays in Honor of V.C.Samuel, Bangalore, 1988