List of San Francisco Bay Area wildflowers
A List of San Francisco Bay Area wildflowers. The San Francisco Bay Area is unusual, for a major metropolitan area, in having ready access to rural and wilderness areas, as well as major urban parks. Particularly in spring, these offer a rich range of wild flowers[peacock term].
The native plants of the San Francisco Bay Area are not always typical of other regions of California, and some species are endemic. This list covers the flowers of the Bay Area one is most likely to see within its nine counties. It starts with flowers that are (a) common and/or (b) already have an article in Wikipedia. Flowering shrubs and trees are only included if their flowers are visually significant.
Flowering herbs (forbs)
- California Poppy
- Purple Chinese Houses
- Yellow Pansy
- Franciscan Wallflower
- Douglas Iris
- Baby Blue Eyes
- Heuchera spp. - coral bells
- Western Blue-eyed Grass
- Calypso Orchid
- Fiddlenecks (several species)
- Blue Flax
- Cow Parsnip
- Common Star Lily
- Crimson Columbine
- Wavy-leafed Soap Plant
- Clarkia spp. - Farewell to Spring
Bushes, shrubs, and climbers
- Bush Lupin
- Arctostaphylos spp. - Manzanitas
- California wild grape
- Ceanothus spp. - California lilacs
- Pipestem Clematis
- Rubus spectabilis - native Blackberry
- Rosa californica - rose
- Vaccinium ovatum - Huckleberry
- California Manroot
- Ribes spp. - currants
- Ribes malvaceum
Garden escapes are introduced species, plants that have established in the area - via their seeds, underground runners, or by exuberant growth - beyond the limits of gardens where planted. Some may be reproducing in the wild as invasive species and noxious weeds. Because of the large population of the Bay Area and its variety of garden styles, many plant species may be encountered as garden escapes.
- Among those seen are:
- Acacia spp.
- Bougainvillea spp.
- Common Broom (Spanish, French, others)
- Cortaderia spp. (Pampas grass)
- Eucalyptus spp.
- Forget-me-nots (Myosotis discolor and M. latifolia)
- Ice plant - several genera
- Ivy - Hedera spp.
- Nassella tenuissima - Mexican feather grass
- Pelargonium spp.
- Pennisetum setaceum
- Rubus armeniacus – Himalayan Blackberry
- Vinca major
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nature of the San Francisco Bay Area.|