List of Seventh-day Adventist periodicals
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
This is a list of periodicals published by the Seventh-day Adventist Church or by its church members. They include both official and unofficial publications relating to Seventh-day Adventism. Magazines which are only available on the internet are not included.
Most periodicals are listed by location of the publisher. A brief list of the most circulated periodicals is also included.
|Adult Sabbath School Bible Study Guide||United States: Nampa, Idaho||Pacific Press||English||Quarterly||2003—|
|Adventist Review||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Weekly||30,000 paid||1849–1850 (Present Truth and Advent Review), 1850–1988, 1997—; Anniversary Issues|
|Adventist World||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald, Lane Press, Korean Publishing Company, Signs Publishing Company||English, Spanish, French||Monthly||1,200,000 unpaid||2006—|
|Aventisten heute||Germany: Lüneburg||Advent-Verlag Lüneburg||German||Monthly||20,000 unpaid||2004—2009 (AdventEcho), 2010—|
|Atlantic Union Gleaner||United States: South Lancaster, Massachusetts||Atlantic Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Monthly||22,000||2007—|
|Canadian Adventist Messenger||Canada: Oshawa, Ontario||Canadian Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Monthly||2007—|
|Catalyst||Thailand: Saraburi||Institute Press, Asia-Pacific International University||English||Yearly||-||2007- present|
|College and University Dialogue||Committee on Adventist Ministry to College and University Students (AMiCUS)||English, Spanish, Portuguese, French||Three times per year||30,000||1994—|
|el Centinela||United States: Nampa, Idaho||Pacific Press||Spanish||Monthly||100,000||2007—|
|Florida Focus||United States: Winter Park, Florida||Florida Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Quarterly||23,000||1997—|
|Gleaner (periodical)||United States: Ridgefield, Washington||North Pacific Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Monthly||2002—|
|Guide||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Weekly||30,000||Individual story archives|
|Insight||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Weekly||Cover story archives|
|La Femme d'Esprit||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||French||Bi-monthly|
|La FLAMA||United States: Alvarado, Texas||Texas Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||Spanish||Quarterly|
|Lake Union Herald||United States: Berrien Springs, Michigan||Lake Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Monthly||2003—|
|Liberty||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Bi-monthly||200,000||1930, 1997—|
|LIFE.info||United Kingdom: Alma Park, Grantham, Lincolnshire||British Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Bi-monthly||Vol. 1 Issue 1—|
|Listen||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||9 issues per year||Article archives|
|Message||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Bi-monthly||75,000||Archives|
|Ministry||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, French||Monthly||53,000 unpaid||1928—|
|Mujeres del Espíritu||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||Spanish||Bi-monthly|
|My Best Friends Magazine||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Bi-monthly|
|Our Little Friend||United States: Nampa, Idaho||Pacific Press||English||Weekly|
|Outlook[disambiguation needed]||United States: Lincoln, Nebraska||Mid-America Conference Union of Seventh-day Adventist||English||Monthly||2005—|
|Pacific Union Recorder||United States: Westlake Village, California||Pacific Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Monthly||80,000||1901–1975, 2003—|
|PowerPoints Study Guide||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Quarterly|
|Primary Treasure||United States: Nampa, Idaho||Pacific Press||English||Weekly|
|Real-Time Faith Bible Study Guides||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Quarterly|
|Record||Australia: Wahroonga||South Pacific Division of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Weekly||26,000||(1898–1966, 2002—)|
|Renewed & Ready||United States: Nampa, Idaho||Pacific Press||English||Monthly|
|Shabbat Shalom||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Three times per year|
|Sharing Scripture||United States: Nampa, Idaho||Pacific Press||English||Monthly|
|Signs of the Times||United States: Nampa, Idaho||Pacific Press||English||Monthly||1874–1979, 2007—|
|Signs of the Times (Australian version)||Australia: Warburton, Victoria||Signs Publishing Company||English||Monthly||45,000||1903–1925, 1926–1933, 2002—|
|Southern Tidings||United States: Decatur, Georgia||Southern Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Monthly||More than 80,000||2000–2003, 2006—|
|Southwestern Union Record||United States: Burleson, Texas||Southwestern Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Monthly||2004—|
|Edge||Australia: Wahroonga||South Pacific Division of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Bi-Monthly||26,000||1997—|
|The FLAME||United States: Alvarado, Texas||Texas Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Quarterly||2006—|
|Vibrant Life||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Bi-monthly|
|Visitor||United States: Columbia, Maryland||Columbia Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists||English||Monthly||44,500||1901–1966, 2004–2006, 2007–2008|
|Winner||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||9 issues per year||Article archives|
|Women of Spirit||United States: Hagerstown, Maryland||Review and Herald||English||Bi-monthly||Article archive|
|Zeichen der Zeit||Germany: Lüneburg||Advent-Verlag Lüneburg||German||Quarterly||90,000 unpaid||2004—|
- 1 Periodicals by circulation
- 2 Scholarly journals
- 3 Sabbath School lessons
- 4 Official local area newsmagazines
- 5 Adventist publishing houses
- 6 Independent
- 7 Adventist Archives
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Periodicals by circulation
The list of Adventist periodicals by circulation may give some indication of notability, but this criterion alone does not measure the impact of a magazine, and gift subscriptions and other freely distributed magazines might be expected to have an inflated circulation. As an example, one may assume that academic journals have more influence than their lower circulations suggest.
Items here are also listed by location below. Many older issues of these periodicals can be viewed online at the Adventist Archives
- Adventist World – 1,200,000 (unpaid circulation)
- Liberty – over 200,000
- Health & Home(Adventist magazine) (flagship publication of Philippine Publishing House) – 165,000
- El Centinela (Spanish version of Signs of the Times) – 100,000
- Pacific Union Recorder – 75,000 unpaid
- Ministry – 53,000 (including 37,000 gift subscriptions)
- Signs of the Times (Australian version) – 45,000
- Adventist Review – 30,000 paid subscribers
- Guide – 30,000
- College and University Dialogue – 30,000
- Record, magazine issued freely to Australian church members – 26,000
- Korean Signs of the Times – 17,000 in 2004
- Journal of the Adventist Theological Society - ? paid; nearly 2000 unpaid
- Spectrum, Adventist focus, independent.
- Andrews University Seminary Studies - 600
- Journal of Asia Adventist Seminary (?)
- Journal of Adventist Mission Studies (?)
- Asia Adventist Seminary Studies (?)
Sabbath School lessons
These publications are used during Sabbath School time at church. Many are published on various denominational presses worldwide.
- Sabbath School Lesson study guide, or colloquially "the quarterly" (Adult)
- Beginner (infants)
- Kindergarten (Kindergarten)
- Our Little Friend (Kindergarten)
- Primary (Primary age)
- Primary Treasure (Primary age)
- PowerPoints (Juniors and Earliteens)
- Guide, a weekly story magazine for Juniors and Earliteens (10-14 year olds).
- Real Time Faith (Earliteens)
- Insight (Youth)
- Cornerstone Connections or Collegiate Quarterly (Youth)
Official local area newsmagazines
The official newsmagazines include:
- Gleaner (North Pacific Union). Archives: 1906–1931 in DjVu format, August 2002— (as of 2008)
- Pacific Union Recorder (Pacific Union Conference) 1901–1975 in DjVu format, 2003—
- Visitor (Columbia Union Conference) 1901–1966 in DjVu format, 2004–2006, 2007–2008
Adventist publishing houses
North America is administered as the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists.
Review and Herald Publishing Association
- Adventist Review, the official Seventh-day Adventist magazine, issued weekly and with nearly 30,000 paid subscribers.
- Adventist World, an international magazine with 1.2 million unpaid circulation.
- Ministry, for pastors, by the Ministerial Association of Seventh-day Adventists. Monthly circulation to Adventists about 16,000; and bimonthly sent to about 37,000 pastors of other denominations on a gift basis. ISSN 0026-5314
- Liberty, devoted to religious freedom
- Listen, drug education for teens
- Message, mission with an urban edge
- Shabbat Shalom, aimed at facilitating dialogue between Jews and Christians
- Vibrant Life, about the health message
- Winner, drug education for late primary school age
- Women of Spirit, for women
Pacific Press Publishing Association
- El Centinela monthly magazine, Spanish language version of Signs
- Signs of the Times monthly magazine for North America (one year of archives)
- Signs of the Times, an easy-reading magazine in a format similar to Reader's Digest, the flagship publication of Signs Publishing Company for distribution in the South Pacific. It has a circulation of 45,000
- Record is a weekly news magazine aimed at churchmembers, issued freely to churches. Circulation of 26,000
- Edge is targeted at young adults, and published bimonthly by Signs Publishing.
- Catalyst, published from Mission College in Thailand
- Kerala Adventist Chronicle is the official magazine of southwest India union of SDA
South America is administered as the South American Division of Seventh-day Adventists.
Asociación Casa Editora Sudamericana
The Asociación Casa Editora Sudamericana (South American Publishing House):
- Revista Adventista, the Spanish language version of the Adventist Review.
- Vida Feliz, a publication related to the health message.
- Mis amigos, a publication in magazine format for children.
Universidad Adventista de Chile
The Universidad Adventista de Chile, through its Faculty of Theology publishes:
- Advenimiento, a theological review published semesterly, as a mean to make known researches in the biblical-theological field, in the context of the seventh-day adventist faith.
- Our Firm Foundation, published by Hope International
- Pilgrim's Rest, by Vance Ferrell
- Adventists Affirm, published from Michigan. Archives from Spring 2000 (as of August 2008)
- Adventist Today
- Spectrum, published by the Association of Adventist Forums. In 2002, paid subscriptions numbered 3000
- Adventist Heritage
- Present Truth Magazine (formerly of Robert Brinsmead)
- Good News Unlimited
- Adventist Professional
- Adventist Currents
"The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists is the world administrative center for the denomination. Its Archives houses records covering the entire period of the church's history. Patrons are able to trace the development of the church through these records, which include legal instruments, minutes, reference files, reports, correspondence, publications, recordings, films, video and audio tapes, and photographs. The Office of Archives, Statistics, and Research is commissioned to preserve all materials produced by the General Conference.
"Holdings of the General Conference Archives presently total over 10,000 linear feet, and are stored primarily in a fireproof, climate-controlled vault. They are arranged according to general categories" one of which is 'Periodicals.'
"The General Conference Archives contains one of the largest and most complete collections of English-language Seventh-day Adventist periodicals to be found anywhere. There are over 750 titles, many of them beginning with the first issue."
Source: General Conference Archives
The General Conference Archives can be accessed HERE.
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- List of United States magazines
- Media ministries of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- History of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Welcome, Adventist Review website. Accessed 2008-09-25
- Knott Elected Adventist Review and Adventist World Editor; Succeeds Retiring Editor Johnsson
-  Accessed 2008-09-27
- Welcome to Dialogue online! Accessed 2008-09-27
- Acerca de El Centinela Accessed 2008-09-28
- Advertise in Guide Accessed 2008-09-28
- Message magazine advertising Accessed 2008-9-27
- French edition of Adventist Church's journal for pastors debuts Accessed 2009-04-11
- Ministry homepage. Accessed 2008-09-25
- Pacific Union Recorder on the Pacific Union Conference website. Accessed 2008-09-25
- South Pacific Division of Seventh-day Adventist Publications Access 2008-09-25
- Southern Union Conference website, Accessed 2011-11-07
- South Pacific Division of Seventh-day Adventist Publications Access 2008-09-25
- Columbia Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, Visitor Magazine website. Accessed 2008-09-25
- Adventist Review : Annual Council 2006 - 2
- Australian Record July 1, 2006, p.5
- Pacific Union Recorder at the Pacific Union Conference website. Accessed 2008-01-01
- College and University Dialogue
- Seventh-day Adventist Church South Pacific | Publications
- North America: Korean Adventist Press Unites U.S. Korean Churches
- Publications :: Adventist Theological Society
- Ministry, International Journal for Pastors : Welcome
- Seventh-day Adventist Church South Pacific | Publications
- AldenThompson.com | "Review and Retrospective on the Adventist Church During the Last 30 Years"
- Adventist Archives Multiple Seventh-day Adventist periodicals viewable online.
- Seventh-day Adventist Periodical Index (SDAPI), sponsored by the Association of Seventh-day Adventist Librarians (ASDAL)
- Publishing Ministries of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, a list of church publishers worldwide.
- Review and Herald magazines
- WorldCat search for Seventh-day Adventist periodicals
- Publishing Ministries, a list of church publishers.
- List of Adventist journals from ASDAL
Analysis and commentary:
- Four SDA News Reports Compared by Alicia Goree in Adventist Today 6:3