List of Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Greater London
This is a list of the Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) in Greater London, which is part of south east England. In geographic terms, the area is split by the River Thames. The London region has a population of 7,512,400 within an area of 1,579 km², making it the second-largest populated region in the United Kingdom. However, even though it is one of the largest urban conglomerations in Europe, almost two-thirds of London is made up of greenspace and wetlands, consisting primarily of extensive areas of green belt, large parks and the Thames basin. As of 2012[update], there are 36 sites designated within this Area of Search, 29 of which have been designated for their biological interest and 7 for their geological interest.
In England, the body responsible for designating SSSIs is Natural England, which chooses sites because of their Fauna, flora, geological or physiographical features. Natural England took over the role of designating and managing SSSIs from English Nature in October 2006 when it was formed from the amalgamation of English Nature, parts of the Countryside Agency and the Rural Development Service. The data in the table is taken from Natural England's website in the form of citation sheets for each SSSI.
For other counties, see List of Sites of Special Scientific Interest by Area of Search.
- A Data rounded to one decimal place.
- B Grid reference is based on the British national grid reference system, also known as OSGB36, and is the system used by the Ordnance Survey.
- C Those SSSIs with more than one OS grid reference are composed of multiple sections, separated by non-SSSI land.
- D This list uses the date notified under Section 28 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
- E Link to maps using the Magic Map service provided by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- F Some sites are partly in boroughs outside Greater London.
- "T 08: Selected age groups for local authorities in the United Kingdom; estimated resident population; Mid-2006 Population Estimates". Office for National Statistics. August 22, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "Urban Greater London". Natural England. Archived from the original on 2007-12-14. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "London, Landscape and geodiversity". Natural England. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "SSSIs in Greater London". Natural England. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Notification of SSSIs". Natural England. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- Natural England citation sheets for each SSSI. Retrieved on 2007-12-24. (PDF files).
- "Guide to National Grid". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- Mayor of London, London’s foundations: protecting the geodiversity of the capital, March 2009 Geological SSSIs in Greater London