List of Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Hertfordshire
This is a list of the Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) in Hertfordshire, a county in the East of England region. In terms of size, the region extends from Norfolk, in the north, to the Thames estuary, in the extreme south, and almost two-thirds of the county is rural. Hertfordshire itself, however, has a population of 1,058,600 within an area of 1,634 km2 (403,770.2 acres), making it the 16th largest ceremonial county in the United Kingdom. As of 2009[update], there are 43 sites designated within this Area of Search, 30 of which have been designated for their biological interest, 6 for their geological interest, and 7 for both biological and geological interest. In England, the body responsible for designating SSSIs is Natural England, which chooses sites because of their flora, fauna, geological or physiographical features. Natural England took over the role of designating and managing SSSIs from English Nature in October 2006 when it was formed from the amalgamation of English Nature, parts of the Countryside Agency and the Rural Development Service. The data in the table is taken from English Nature's website in the form of citation sheets for each SSSI.
For other counties, see List of Sites of Special Scientific Interest by Area of Search.
- Reason for designation; either for the site's biological or geological interest.
- Data rounded to one decimal place.
- Grid reference is based on the British national grid reference system, also known as OSGB36, and is the system used by the Ordnance Survey. Those SSSIs with more than one OS grid reference are composed of multiple sections, separated by non-SSSI land.
- Site notification consists of designating a site as an SSSI and consulting with the owner(s). This list uses the date notified under Section 28 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
- Link to maps using the Nature on the Map service provided by Natural England.
- "Map of Eastern England". Natural England. Archived from the original on 2007-12-16. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "Hertfordshire geography". Hertfordshire Tourism Board. 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-24.
- "T 08: Selected age groups for local authorities in the United Kingdom; estimated resident population; Mid-2006 Population Estimates". Office for National Statistics. August 22, 2007. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "SSSIs in Hertfordshire". English Nature. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "Notification of SSSIs". English Nature. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- Natural England citation sheets for each SSSI. Retrieved on 2008-02-26. (PDF files).
- "Guide to National Grid". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 2008-02-21.