List of Slovak submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Slovakia has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1993. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue.
The Slovak submission is decided annually by the Slovak Film and Television Academy (Slovenskej filmovej a televíznej akadémie). As of 2012, fifteen Slovak films have been submitted for consideration, none of which have been nominated for an Oscar. Six of these have been directed by Martin Šulík.
Until 1993, the Slovak Republic was a constituent republic within Czechoslovakia, and Czech and Slovaks routinely collaborated on national productions. The Shop on Main Street, which won the Best Foreign Film Oscar in 1966 for Czechoslovakia, was a Slovak-language production. It was also the first Czechoslovak film ever to be nominated for an Oscar.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by the Slovak Republic for review by the Academy for the award by the year of the submission and the respective Academy Award ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Slovak title||Director||Result|
|Everything I Like||Všetko čo mám rád||Šulík, MartinMartin Šulík||Not Nominated|
|Angel of Mercy||Anjel milosrdenstva||Luther, MiloslavMiloslav Luther||Not Nominated|
|The Garden||Záhrada||Šulík, MartinMartin Šulík||Not Nominated|
|Orbis Pictus||Orbis Pictus||Šulík, MartinMartin Šulík||Not Nominated|
|Rivers of Babylon||Rivers of Babylon||Balco, VladimírVladimír Balco||Not Nominated|
|All My Loved Ones||Všichni moji blízcí||Mináč, MatejMatej Mináč||Not Nominated|
|Landscape||Krajinka||Šulík, MartinMartin Šulík||Not Nominated|
|Cruel Joys||Kruté radosti||Nvota, JurajJuraj Nvota||Not Nominated|
|The King of Thieves||Král zlodejov||Fíla, IvanIvan Fíla||Not Nominated|
|City of the Sun||Slnečný štát||Šulík, MartinMartin Šulík||Not Nominated|
|Return of the Storks ||Návrat bocianov||Repka, MartinMartin Repka||Not Nominated|
|Blind Loves ||Slepe lásky||Lehotský, JurajJuraj Lehotský||Not Nominated|
|Broken Promise||Nedodržaný sľub||Chlumský, JiříJiří Chlumský||Not Nominated|
|The Border||Hranica||Vojtek, JaroslavJaroslav Vojtek||Not Nominated|
|Gypsy||Cigán||Šulík, MartinMartin Šulík||Not Nominated|
|Made in Ash||Až do mesta Aš||Grófová, IvetaIveta Grófová||Not Nominated|
|My Dog Killer||Môj pes Killer||Fornay, MiraMira Fornay||Not Nominated|
In 2008 the producers of Bathory protested the decision of the Slovak Academy not to consider their film, the most expensive in Slovak history, for an Oscar nomination. The Slovak Academy said the multi-national production, which was filmed in Slovak- and English-language versions, did not qualify as a majority-Slovak production, in part because none of the lead cast came from Slovakia. The Academy instead chose documentary Blind Loves from a shortlist of four films.
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Cinema of Slovakia
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Source: http://www.aic.sk/aic/slovensky-film/v-zahranici/archiv/navrat-bocianov-sa-bude-uchadzat-o-oscara-2008.html
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- Other finalist: Rozhovor s nepriatel'om (Facing the Enemy) Source: http://www.aic.sk/aic/slovensky-film/v-zahranici/archiv/navrat-bocianov-sa-bude-uchadzat-o-oscara-2008.html
- Other finalists: Démonov (Demons), Polčas rozpadu (Half Life) and Muzika (Music). Source: http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/33308/30/slovakia_hopes_for_blind_luck_at_oscars.html
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- Holdsworth, Nick (20 September 2012). "'Made' for Oscar foreign lingo consideration". Variety (Reed Business Information). Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Oscars: Slovakia Nominates 'My Dog Killer' for Foreign Film Category". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- Tizard, Will (2008-10-02). "Slovak Oscar pick prompts protest". Variety.