List of South American countries by population
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This table may be more easily updated if the rank-order column (1,2,3) is removed (or separated). Alphabetical order may also help. Sort buttons order numbers. Help:Sorting.|
This is a list of South American countries and dependent territories by population, which is sorted by the mid-year normalized demographic projections.
(or dependent territory)
|June 1, 2013
|1||Brazil||201,033,000||49.00||0.87||1,685,000||80||201,032,714||July 1, 2013||Official estimate|
|2||Colombia||47,130,000||11.81||1.17||544,000||60||47,492,000||March 14, 2014||Official population clock|
|3||Argentina||41,350,000||10.36||1.13||464,000||61||40,117,096||October 27, 2010||Final 2010 census result|
|4||Peru||30,476,000||7.63||1.12||339,000||62||30,475,144||June 30, 2013||Official estimate|
|5||Venezuela||29,760,000||7.45||1.67||490,000||42||28,946,101||October 30, 2011||Preliminary 2011 census result|
|6||Chile||16,841,000||4.22||1.01||168,000||69||16,634,603||April 9, 2012||Final 2012 census result|
|7||Ecuador||15,779,000||3.95||1.66||258,000||42||15,697,100||March 14, 2014||Official population clock|
|8||Bolivia||10,517,000||2.63||2.02||208,000||35||10,389,913||November 21, 2012||Preliminary 2012 census result|
|10||Uruguay||3,297,000||0.83||0.18||6,000||381||3,286,314||September 30, 2011||Final 2011 census result|
|12||Suriname||539,000||0.14||0.94||5,000||74||534,189||August 13, 2012||Preliminary 2012 census result|
|13||French Guiana||259,000||0.06||3.60||9,000||20||229,040||January 1, 2010||Official estimate|
|14||Falkland Islands (UK)||3,000||0.00||0.00||0||-||2,563||April 15, 2012||2012 census result|
- List of countries by population
- List of African countries by population
- List of countries in the Americas by population
- List of Arab countries by population
- List of Asian countries by population
- List of Caribbean island countries by population
- List of Eurasian countries by population
- List of European countries by population
- List of European Union member states by population
- List of Latin American countries by population
- List of member states of the Commonwealth of Nations by population
- List of Middle East countries by population
- List of North American countries by population
- List of Oceanian countries by population
- List of countries by past and future population
- List of countries by past population (United Nations)
- List of countries by population in 2000
- List of countries by population in 2010
- Calculated, when available, from the latest national censuses or most recent official estimates (many of which are cited in their respective column), using the [[exponential function|exponential]k] formula shown on the List of countries by past and future population article. This is done to normalize the different populations to a unique date, so that they are really comparable.
- It corresponds to the following formula: projection2013/projection2012x100-100.
- It corresponds to the calculation: projection2013*annual_growth/100.
- It corresponds to the formula: LN(2)/LN(growth/100+1), which produces exactly the same result as LOG10(2)/LOG10(growth/100+1).
- Islands claimed by Argentina. Possessed by the British from 5 January 1833, it was briefly captured by the Argentinian forces during the Falklands War (April 2-June 14, 1982)