List of Superfund sites in South Carolina
This is a list of Superfund sites in South Carolina designated under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) environmental law. The CERCLA federal law of 1980 authorized the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to create a list of polluted locations requiring a long-term response to clean up hazardous material contaminations. These locations are known as Superfund sites, and are placed on the National Priorities List (NPL). The NPL guides the EPA in "determining which sites warrant further investigation" for environmental remediation. As of March 10, 2011, there were 26 Superfund sites on the National Priorities List in South Carolina. One additional site is currently proposed for entry on the list. Four sites have been cleaned up and removed from the list.
- Proposed for addition to National Priorities List
- Deleted from National Priorities List
|SC1890008989||Savannah River Site (USDOE)||Aiken||07/14/1989||11/21/1989||09/13/1999|
|SCD058753971||Helena Chemical Co. Landfill||Allendale||06/24/1988||02/21/1990||09/13/1999|
|SCD004773644||Independent Nail Co.||Beaufort||cyanide and heavy metals||09/08/1983||09/21/1984||09/13/1988||
|SCD094995503||Kalama Specialty Chemicals||Beaufort||09/08/1983||09/21/1984||06/29/1999|
|SC6170022762||Parris Island Marine Corps Recruit Depot||Beaufort||08/23/1994||12/16/1994|
|SCD980711279||Geiger (C & M Oil)||Charleston||09/08/1983||09/21/1984||09/14/1998|
|SCD980310239||Koppers Co., Inc. (Charleston Plant)||Charleston||02/07/1992||12/16/1994||09/25/2003|
|SCD003360476||Macalloy Corporation||Charleston||heavy metals||10/22/1999||02/04/2000||09/26/2006|
|SCD980558142||Medley Farm Drum Dump||Cherokee||06/10/1986||03/31/1989||09/29/1995|
|SCD987577913||Brewer Gold Mine||Chesterfield||cyanide and heavy metals||09/23/2004||04/27/2005|
|SCD003353026||Koppers Co., Inc. (Florence Plant)||Florence||09/08/1983||09/21/1984|
|SCD000447268||Beaunit Corp. (Circular Knit & Dye)||Greenville||06/24/1988||02/21/1990||09/25/1998|
|SCD980799456||Golden Strip Septic Tank Service||Greenville||01/22/1987||07/22/1987||09/30/1996||
|SCD002601656||Para-Chem Southern, Inc.||Greenville||10/26/1989||08/30/1990||09/01/2000||
|SCD980840698||Rochester Property||Greenville||Groundwater contaminated with manganese, TCE, and bis(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate.||06/10/1986||10/04/1989||10/16/1995||
|SCD003358744||US Finishing/Cone Mills||Greenville||cyanide and Hexavalent Chromium ||03/10/2011||
|SCD980558043||Lexington County Landfill Area||Lexington||06/24/1988||10/04/1989||09/19/2001|
|SCD003362217||Palmetto Wood Preserving||Lexington||09/08/1983||09/21/1984||09/30/1997|
|SCN000407714||Barite Hill/Nevada Goldfields||McCormick||heavy metals||09/03/2008||04/09/2009|
|SCD003354412||Sangamo Weston/Twelve-Mile/Hartwell PCB||Pickens||PCBs||01/22/1987||02/21/1990||08/09/1999||09/28/1998
|SCD037398120||Palmetto Recycling, Inc.||Richland||Soil and a nearby stream contaminated with lead, barium, and chromium. The site also had an unlined acid pit containing 1,800 gallons of acid waste, 100 drums of caustic waste, and an unstabilized pile of battery casings.||01/22/1987||07/22/1987||07/21/1999||
|SCD000622787||SCRDI Bluff Road||Richland||12/30/1982||09/08/1983||09/09/1998|
|SCD980558050||Townsend Saw Chain Co.||Richland||06/24/1988||02/21/90||09/23/1999|
|SCD058754789||Aqua-Tech Environmental Inc (Groce Labs)||Spartanburg||08/23/1994||12/16/1994|
|SCD980839542||Elmore Waste Disposal||Spartanburg||06/24/1988||03/31/1989||09/24/1998|
|SCD991279324||Leonard Chemical Co., Inc.||York||09/08/1983||09/21/1984|
|SCD980844005||Rock Hill Chemical Co.||York||06/24/1988||02/21/1990||12/31/1996|
Superfund Alternative sites
Superfund Alternative sites are locations that have been found to be polluted enough to be listed on the National Priorities List, but are cleaned up through other methods without formal listing. These are not "Superfund" sites since they do not go through the Superfund listing process. There are 10 SA sites in South Carolina.
|CERCLIS ID||Name||County||Reason||Pre-CERCLIS screening|
|SCD000407376||Henry's Knob General Chemical||York||Ground water, sediment, soil, and surface water contaminated with arsenic, barium, chromium, copper, cobalt, magnesium, nickel, lead, zinc, and mercury.||09/25/2001|
- List of Superfund sites in the United States
- List of environmental issues
- List of waste types
- P.L. 96-510, 42 U.S.C. §§ 9601–9675), December 11, 1980.
- "National Priorities List". United States Environmental Protection Agency. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "Proposed NPL sites". EPA. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- "Final NPL sites". EPA. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- "Construction Completions at NPL sites". EPA. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- "Partial deletions at NPL sites". EPA. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- "Deleted NPL sites". EPA. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- "Para-Chem Southern, Inc. partial deletion narrative". EPA. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "Rochester Property Superfund site progress profile". EPA. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "US Finishing/Cone Mills Superfund site progress profile". EPA. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- "Sangamo Weston/Twelve-Mile/Hartwell PCB superfund site progress profile". EPA. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "Sangamo Weston/Twelve-Mile/Hartwell PCB 1998 partial deletion narrative". EPA. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "Sangamo Weston/Twelve-Mile/Hartwell PCB 2002 partial deletion narrative". EPA. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "Palmetto Recycling, Inc. Superfund site progress profile". EPA. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "Superfund Alternative Approach". EPA. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- South Carolina Superfund sites
- Henry's Knob General Chemical
- EPA list of current NPL Superfund sites in South Carolina
- EPA list of proposed Superfund sites in South Carolina
- EPA list of current Superfund sites in South Carolina
- EPA list of Superfund site construction completions in South Carolina
- EPA list of partially deleted Superfund sites in South Carolina
- EPA list of deleted Superfund sites in South Carolina