List of Tampa Bay Rays seasons
The Tampa Bay Rays are a professional baseball team based in St. Petersburg, Florida. The Rays are a member of both the Major League Baseball’s (MLB) American League Eastern Division and the American League (AL) itself. Since their inaugural season in 1998, the Rays have played their home games at Tropicana Field. The team was originally known as the "Tampa Bay Devil Rays," which was inspired by a common nickname of the manta ray, but after the 2007 season, they changed their official name to the "Tampa Bay Rays."
Tampa Bay made their Major League debut in 1998, where they were an expansion team. For their first ten seasons, Tampa Bay struggled, never had a winning record, and were always fifth in the American League Eastern Division, except for a fourth place finish in the 2004 season. However, Tampa Bay had their best season ever in 2008, when they won their first American League East Division title, defeated the Chicago White Sox in the ALDS, beat the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS, but lost to the Philadelphia Phillies in the World Series.
Regular season results
|World Series Champions
||American League Champions
||Wild Card Berth
|Tampa Bay Devil Rays|
|1998||1998||AL||East||5th||63||99||.389||51||Did not make the playoffs|
|1999||1999||AL||East||5th||69||93||.426||29||Did not make the playoffs|
|2000||2000||AL||East||5th||69||92||.429||18||Did not make the playoffs|
|2001||2001||AL||East||5th||62||100||.383||34||Did not make the playoffs|
|2002||2002||AL||East||5th||55||106||.342||48||Did not make the playoffs|
|2003||2003||AL||East||5th||63||99||.389||38||Did not make the playoffs|
|2004||2004||AL||East||4th||70||91||.435||30½||Did not make the playoffs|
|2005||2005||AL||East||5th||67||95||.414||28||Did not make the playoffs|
|2006||2006||AL||East||5th||61||101||.377||36||Did not make the playoffs|
|2007||2007||AL||East||5th||66||96||.407||30||Did not make the playoffs||Carlos Peña (CPOY)[f]|
|Tampa Bay Rays|
|2008||2008||AL||East||1st||97||65||.599||—||Won ALDS[d] vs. Chicago White Sox, 3–1
Won ALCS[e] vs. Boston Red Sox, 4–3
Lost World Series vs. Philadelphia Phillies, 4–1
|Joe Maddon (MOY)[h]
Evan Longoria (ROY)[j]
|2009||2009||AL||East||3rd||84||78||.519||19||Did not make the playoffs|
|2010||2010||AL||East||1st||96||66||.593||—||Lost ALDS vs. Texas Rangers, 3–2|
|2011||2011||AL||East||2nd||91||71||.562||6||Lost ALDS vs. Texas Rangers, 3–1||Joe Maddon (MOY)[h]
Jeremy Hellickson (ROY)[j]
|2012||2012||AL||East||3rd||90||72||.556||5||Did not make the playoffs||Fernando Rodney (CPOY)[f]
David Price (CYA)[g]
|2013||2013||AL||East||2nd||92||71||.564||5½||Won Wild Card Game vs. Cleveland Indians
Lost ALDS vs. Boston Red Sox, 3–1
|Wil Myers (ROY)[j]|
|1195||1395||.461||All-time regular season record (1998–2013)|
|13||17||.433||All-time postseason record|
|1208||1412||.461||All-time regular and postseason record|
These statistics are current through the 2013 season. Bold denotes a playoff season, pennant or championship.
- a The Finish column lists regular season results and excludes postseason play.
- b The Wins and Losses columns list regular season results and exclude any postseason play. Regular and postseason records are combined only at the bottom of the list.
- c The GB column lists "Games Back" from the team that finished in first place that season. It is determined by finding the difference in wins plus the difference in losses divided by two.
- d ALDS stands for American League Division Series.
- e ALCS stands for American League Championship Series.
- f CPOY stands for Comeback Player of the Year
- g CYA stands for Cy Young Award.
- h MOY stands for Manager of the Year.
- j ROY stands for American League Rookie of the Year.
- Tampa Bay Rays team records
- List of Tampa Bay Rays Opening Day starting pitchers
- Tampa Bay Rays managers and ownership
- "Tropicana Field". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Time to shine: Rays introduce new name, new icon, new team colors and new uniforms". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Rays Timeline 1995-1996". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Tampa Bay Rays History & Encyclopedia". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- Bill Chastain (2007-10-26). "Pena honored as AL comeback player". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "2008 Tampa Bay Rays". Baseball-Reference. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Manager of the Year Award Winners". Baseball-Reference.com. 2008-11-12. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- "Rookie of the Year Award Winners". Baseball-Reference.com. 2008-11-10. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- Bill Chastain (2012-10-19). "Rodney is Comeback, Delivery Man awards winner". MLB.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Most Valuable Player MVP Awards & Cy Young Awards Winners". Baseball-Reference.com. 2012-11-14. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- Adam Berry (2012-11-14). "Price is right: Rays ace wins AL Cy Young Award". Raysbaseball.com. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
|Major League Baseball season-by-season team history|
|East Division||Central Division||West Division|
|East Division||Central Division||West Division|