List of The Bill characters
The Bill is a long-running British television police procedural television series, named after a slang term for the police. The characters are all police officers or civilian staff at the fictional Sun Hill police station in London.
- 1 Main characters
- 2 Notable cast members
- 3 References
The final ensemble, present during the episode "Respect, Part 2", first broadcast on August 31, 2010, was headlined by Simon Rouse, rounding out his twenty-first year as Jack Meadows. Other cast members included Alex Walkinshaw, as Inspector Dale Smith, and Sally Rogers as formidable DC turned Sergeant Jo Masters. Walkinshaw spoke the final line of the series, "Let's do it," echoing Mark Wingetts first line spoken in 1983.
|Character||Years||Episode Total||Portrayer||Ranks Held|
|Jack Meadows||842||Simon Rouse||DSI / DCI / Superintendent|
|Dale 'Smithy' Smith||388||Alex Walkinshaw||PC / Sergeant / Inspector|
|Mickey Webb||333||Chris Simmons||DS / DC|
|Neil Manson||275||Andrew Lancel||Acting DCI / DI|
|Terry Perkins||210||Bruce Byron||DC|
|Roger Valentine||227||John Bowler||PC|
|Jo Masters||177||Sally Rogers||DC / Sergeant|
|Grace Dasari||95||Amita Dhiri||DC|
|Max Carter||69||Christopher Fox||DC / DS|
|Ben Gayle||108||Micah Balfour||PC|
|Callum Stone||100||Sam Callis||Sergeant|
|Mel Ryder||69||Rhea Bailey||PC|
|Jacob Banks||65||Patrick Robinson||DC|
|Eddie Olosunje||71||Jason Barnett||CSE|
|Leon Taylor||70||Dominic Power||PC|
|Stevie Moss||62||Lucy Speed||DC / DS|
|Kirsty Knight||19||Sarah Manners||PC|
Throughout its 27 years, The Bill featured a large ensemble including original cast members Trudie Goodwin and Mark Wingett, Loose Woman Lisa Maxwell and ex-Eastenders Roberta Taylor, Gary Lucy,Gillian Taylforth and Australian Actor Daniel MacPherson. A number of Special Guest Stars appeared throughout, including Serena Gordon and Caroline Catz.
A number of recurring Senior Officers have appeared throughout the shows run, including Kazia Pelka as Georgia Hobbs, and John McArdle is Ian Barratt. Cyril Nri's Okaro, however, became the only regular senior officer, following his promotion from Superintendent to Borough Commanding Chief Superintendent.
|Trevor Hicks||22||Mike Burnside||1990-1999||Deputy Assistant Commissioner
|Georgia Hobbs||11||Kazia Pelka||2006-2007|
|Roy Pearson||5||Adam Bareham||2004-2005|
|Lisa Kennedy||7||Julie Graham||2010||Commander|
|Adam Okaro||204||Cyril Nri||2002-2006||Borough Commander
|Guy Mannion||13||Nick Miles||1999-2001|
|Jane Fitzwilliam||9||Maureen Beattie||2002-2003|
|Ian Barratt||8||John McArdle||2005|
Ellis' Chief Superintendent Brownlow remains the highest ranking Station Chief, whilst Hartley's Tom Chandler became the station's first Detective Superintendent, appearing rarely in uniform. Guest Star Serena Gordon is, to date, the only female Station Chief.
|Charles Brownlow||346||Peter Ellis||1984-2002||Chief Superintendent|
|John Heaton||132||Daniel Flynn||2006-2009||Superintendent
|Tom Chandler||115||Steven Hartley||2000-2002|
|Amanda Prosser||8||Serena Gordon||2005|
The ranks of Detective Chief Inspector (D.C.I.) and Chief Inspector (ChInsp.) act as Division heads, supervising Sergeants and Constables, as well as Inspectors. Derek Conway became the final ChInsp. in 2002, with his role being left empty following his death. Jack Meadows acted as the last D.C.I. prior to his promotion to Superintendent.
|Frank Burnside||250||Christopher Ellison||1988-2000||Detective Chief Inspector
|Kim Reid||39||Carolyn Pickles||1990-1992|
|Rowanne Morell||22||Tanya Franks||2004-2005|
|Andrew Ross||15||Ron Donachie||2002-2004|
|Gordon Wray||13||Clive Wood||1990|
|Derek Conway||402||Ben Roberts||1987-2002||Chief Inspector|
|Philip Cato||69||Philip Witchurch||1993-1995|
|Paul Stritch||13||Mark Spalding||1995|
Division Supervisors act as second in command to Division Heads, and in their absence, take control of teams. Often a Detective Sergeant may act as Division Supervisor in the absence of both the roles of Chief Inspector and Inspector, as seen during Samantha Nixon's early appearances, and during Liz Rawton's return.
|Samantha Nixon||281||Lisa Maxwell||2001-2009||Detective Inspector
|Chris Deakin||265||Shaun Scott||1994-2000|
|Liz Rawton||135||Libby Davison||1996-2001|
|Alex Cullen||80||Ged Simmons||2000-2002|
|Sally Johnson||70||Jaye Griffiths||1993-2003|
|Roy Galloway||35||John Salthouse||1984-1987|
|Claire Stanton||33||Clara Salaman||1999-2001|
|Harry Haines||15||Gary Whelan||1992-1995|
|Karen Lacy||4||Liz May Brice||2008|
|Andrew Monroe||584||Colin Tarrant||1990-2002||Inspector|
|Gina Gold||344||Roberta Taylor||2002-2007|
|Christine Frazer||61||Barbara Thorn||1988-1990|
|Rachel Weston||41||Claire Goose||2008-2009|
|Brian Kite||12||Simon Slater||1987|
Sergeant's act as liaison's between Top Brass and patrol, and supervise the daily running and assignment of teams. Prior to 2010, four to six Sergeants would supervise one station, each with a sector to command; for example June Ackland often appeared as Custody Supervise, Matt Boyden as C.A.D. Supervisor and Craig Gilmore as relief supervisor, often alongside two to three Detective Sergeants in charge of Investigations.
|June Ackland||882||Trudie Goodwin||1983-2007||Sergeant|
|Bob Cryer||670||Eric Richard||1984-2004|
|Matthew Boyden||610||Tony O'Callaghan||1991-2003|
|Alec Peters||173||Larry Dann||1984-2004|
|Tom Penny||141||Roger Leach||1984-1991|
|Ray Steele||136||Robert Perkins||1993-1996|
|Sheelagh Murphy||119||Bernadette Nolan||2003-2005|
|Craig Gilmore||101||Hywel Simons||2001-2003|
|John Maitland||80||Sam Miller||1990-1993|
|Diane Noble||61||Kaye Wragg||2006-2009|
|Nikki Wright||56||Gillian Taylforth||2006-2008|
|Stuart Lamont||41||Steve Morley||1989-2001|
|Joseph Corrie||5||Roland Oliver||1990-1991|
|Jane Kendall||5||Liz Crowther||1993|
|Jack Wilding||1||Peter Dean||1983|
|Jim Carver||720||Mark Wingett||1983-2007||Detective Sergeant
|Alistair Greig||288||Andrew Mackintosh||1989-1998|
|Phil Hunter||240||Scott Maslen||2002-2007|
|Ted Roach||210||Tony Scannell||1984-2000|
|Debbie McAllister||192||Natalie Roles||1993-2004|
|Don Beech||186||Bill Murray||1989-2004|
|Mike Dashwood||155||Jon Iles||1984-1996|
|John Boulton||138||Russell Boulter||1992-2000|
|Geoff Daly||115||Ray Ashcroft||1993-2000|
|Stuart Turner||108||Doug Rao||2006-2009|
|Ramani DeCosta||92||Thusitha Jayasundera||2003-2006|
|Danny Pearce||80||Martin Marquez||1991-1996|
|Jo Morgan||62||Mary Jo Randle||1991-1995|
|Vik Singh||43||Raji James||2000-2002|
|Rosie Fox||10||Caroline Catz||1998-2000|
Detective Constables are the first line of Investigations, carrying out orders and assignments given to them by Sergeants and Inspectors. On several occasions, CID Constables would join uniform constables on patrol, however, for the most part, they would appear purely during serious investigations.
|Alfred 'Tosh' Lines||383||Kevin Lloyd||1988-1998||Detective Constable
|Rod Skase||245||Iain Fletcher||1994-2000|
|Suzi Croft||221||Kerry Peers||1990-1998|
|Viv Martella||203||Nula Conwell||1984-1993|
|Duncan Lennox||189||George Rossi||1998-2003|
|Alan Woods||173||Tom Cotcher||1992-1996|
|Will Fletcher||167||Gary Lucy||2005-2010|
|Gary Best||162||Ciaran Griffiths||2002-2005|
|Danny Glaze||157||Karl Collins||1991-2003|
|Ken Drummond||112||Russell Floyd||1993-2005|
|Tom Proctor||100||Gregory Donaldson||1997-2000|
|Kezia Walker||98||Cat Simmons||2006-2009|
|Eva Sharpe||91||Diane Parish||2002-2004|
|'Yorkie' Smith||83||Robert Hudson||1984-1991|
|Suzie Sim||83||Wendy Kweh||2004-2006|
|Kerry Holmes||80||Joy Brook||1998-2000|
|Zain Nadir||80||TJ Ramini||2005-2007|
|Brandon Kane||72||Pal Aron||2002-2004|
|Rob Thatcher||54||Brian Bovell||2003-2004|
|Kate Spears||41||Tania Emery||2000-2002|
|Paul Riley||39||Gary Grant||2000-2002|
|Juliet Becker||26||Rae Baker||2003|
|Tom Baker||10||Victor Gallucci||1990-2001|
Crime Scene Examiners
|Lorna Hart||14||Siobhan Redmond||2007||Crime Scene Examiner
|Faye Donelly||1||Siobhan Reilly||2008|
|Rachel Inns||3||Amanda Abbington||2007||C.S.E. Photographer|
|Matt Hinckley||30||Mark Dexter||2006-2007||Senior Crown Prosecutor|
|Jonathan Fox||22||Larry Lamb||2004-2005|
|Terry Knowles||4||Alex Avery||2001-2002||Special Constable|
|Reg Hollis||873||Jeff Stewart||1984-2008||Police Constable
|Polly Page||540||Lisa Geoghan||1992-2004|
|Taffy Edwards||111||Colin Blumenau||1983-1990|
|Robin Frank||41||Ashley Gunstock||1984-1989|
|Dave Litten||12||Gary Olsen||1984-1986|
|Nate Roberts||Ben Richards|
|Sally Armstrong||Ali Bastian|
|Timothy Able||Mark Haddigan|
|Jamila Blake||Lolita Chakrabarti|
|Adam Bostock||Carl Brincat|
|Cathy Bradford||Connie Hyde|
|Ruby Buxton||Nicola Alexis|
|Dan Casper||Chris Jarvis|
|Roz Clarke||Holly Davidson|
Civilian Station Operatives
|Dean McVerry||Luke Hamill||Dispatch Officer|
|Marion Layland||Susan Majorlier||Station Reception Officer
|Roberta Cryer||Moya Brady|
|Marilyn Chambers||Vickie Gates|
|Julian Tavell||Nick Patrick|
|Colin Fairfax||Tim Steed||Community Support Officer|
|Mia Perry||Jo Anne Knowles||Press Officer|
|Rochelle Barrett||Anna Acton||Drugs Referral Officer|
Notable cast members
This is a list of the most notable characters to have appeared on The Bill, being those who have been in the series for some considerable time and have had a significant impact on the series.
- Billy Murray appeared in The Bill for 5 years playing DS Don Beech. The character was a corrupt police officer, notably having murdered DS John Boulton, forcing Beech to go on the run. Since leaving The Bill, Murray's career has included a stint on EastEnders as Johnny Allen and two films, Rollin' with the Nines and Rise of the Footsoldier. The character also spawned Beech on the Run and Beech is Back.
- Russell Boulter played DS John Boulton from 1995 to 2000, the character having first appeared as a DC in 1994. The character had a reputation for being a hard man, and was once suspected of deliberately killing a suspect, although he was cleared. He later had a relationship with DS Claire Stanton, who was an anti-corruption officer targeting Don Beech. John was ultimately murdered by Beech, leading to the collapse of CID and the removal of Charles Brownlow as Superintendent.
- Tony O'Callaghan played Sergeant Matt Boyden for 12 years from 1991–2003. Boyden was shot dead by his daughter's boyfriend so she can profit from insurance money to fund her drug habit. Tony O'Callaghan has also appeared in The Magnificent Evans, Family Affairs, Holby City, Doctors and Shameless.
- Peter Ellis played Chief Superintendent Charles Brownlow for over 16 years from the start of the series in 1984 to 2000, when the character tendered his resignation in light of the Don Beech scandal. In 1983, Ellis appeared in the play Trafford Tanzi opposite Toyah Willcox.
- Christopher Ellison played DCI Frank Burnside for 5 years. Since leaving The Bill, Ellison has enjoyed a guest stint as Len Harker in EastEnders. Ellison has also appeared in Minder, Casualty, Judge John Deed and voiced a Doctor Who audio adventure. The character spawned spin off Burnside.
- Mark Wingett played DS Jim Carver from 1983 to 2007. After building up gambling debts, the character left Sun Hill in 2005. He briefly re-appeared in three episodes in 2007 and left at the same time as Sergeant June Ackland, whom he married in 2004. They divorced when he left for Manchester in 2005, just after the Sun Hill Fire in 2005.  Since leaving, Wingett has also appeared in EastEnders, the British version of American Chopper and Spartacus.
- Eric Richard played Sergeant Bob Cryer from 1984–2001, the character leaving when he was accidentally shot by then PC Dale Smith. Prior to appearing in The Bill, Richard appeared in a number of TV programmes including Open All Hours, Made In Britain and Shoestring.
- Scott Maslen played DS Phil Hunter from 2002–07, the character was written out with a transfer to Special Operations. Since leaving The Bill, Maslen has played the character of Jack Branning in EastEnders.
- Todd Carty played PC Gabriel Kent from 2003–05, the character left when his false identity was uncovered. As well as The Bill, Carty has appeared in a number of television series including EastEnders, Grange Hill, Heartbeat and Holby City.
- Kevin Lloyd played DC Tosh Lines from 1988–98, the character was written out as having accepted a position in the Coroner's Office after the actor was sacked for turning up drunk. The actor died a week after his dismissal. His son, James Lloyd played PC Steve Hunter from 2004 to 2006. 
- Andrew Paul played PC Dave Quinnan from 1989–2002 when the character left to transfer to SO10. Since leaving The Bill, Paul has enjoyed a brief stint on EastEnders as Maxwell Moon and on Where The Heart Is until the programme was axed in 2006.
- Lisa Geoghan played PC Polly Page from 1992 to 2004. After assisting a friend's suicide, she was tried for murder and returned to Sun Hill as a Civilian CAD Officer, a role which she ultimately resigned from.
- Jeff Stewart played PC Reg Hollis from 1984–2008. In 2008, the character was written out with the character resigning after being traumatised by the death of colleagues in a bomb blast. After learning of his axing from the show, Stewart attempted suicide on set by slashing his wrists. Stewart has not been on television since but has starred in the Miike Snow video, Black & Blue.
- Lisa Maxwell played DI Samantha Nixon from 2002–09 until the character transferred to the child exploitation unit. In April 2009, she made an appearance, discussing The Bill, on The Paul O'Grady Show and now appears on Loose Women.
- Roberta Taylor played Inspector Gina Gold from 2002–08, the character leaving due to the stress of the job. Taylor has since only appeared as a guest panelist on Loose Women, The Wright Stuff and The Paul O'Grady Show.
- Graham Cole played PC Tony Stamp from 1984–2009. The character was written out as part of the 2009 revamp after producers felt that he didn't fit the new show. Cole's last episode was shown on 5 November 2009 and his departure means The Bill has no original characters remaining.
- Trudie Goodwin played Sergeant June Ackland from 1983 to 2007, appearing first in Woodentop. The character retired in 2007 after her on-screen relationship with DC Jim Carver came to an abrupt end. When Goodwin left The Bill in 2007 she was not only the longest serving cast member in the history of The Bill, but also held the world record for the longest time an actor has portrayed a police character.
- Alex Walkinshaw has played Inspector Dale "Smithy" Smith since 1999. Walkinshaw made three "one off" appearances in the series prior to becoming a regular cast member and has made appearances in several other British soaps and serial dramas.
- Simon Rouse has played Superintendent Jack Meadows since 1990, though the character only became a regular role in 1992. Aside from The Bill, Rouse has had small appearances in a number of other British television series including Robin of Sherwood, The Professionals, Casualty, and Minder.
- Chris Simmons played DC Mickey Webb from 2000 to 2010. He appeared twice on the show playing different roles, most notably as a criminal in 1999, before joining the cast as a regular in the following year. He left the series temporarily in 2003, as the culmination of a storyline where his character was raped. He made several guest appearances before returning as a regular in 2005.
This is a list of some of the most notable actors to have made brief or cameo appearances in The Bill.
- Keira Knightley played child burglar Sheena Rose in a 1995 episode entitled "Swan Song".
- Russell Brand played teenager Billy Case in a 1994 episode entitled Land of the Blind.
- David Tennant played kidnapper Steven Clemens in a 1995 episode of The Bill called "Deadline".
- Paul O'Grady - credited as "Paul Savage" - played transvestite Roxanne in three episodes of The Bill between 1988 and 1990.
- Sean Bean played robber Horace Clark in a 1984 episode of The Bill entitled "Long Odds"
- Ralf Little played Tommy Lawson in the 2001 episodes Judas Kiss, Shout, Aftershock and Night Games.
- Emma Bunton played the role of Janice in the 1993 episode Missionary Work.
- Catherine Tate appeared in the 1993 episode Give and Take and 1994 installment Fly on the Wall.
- James McAvoy played a Scots runaway named Gavin in a 1997 episode entitled Rent.
- Lewis Collins played a stem cell scientist named Dr. Peter Allen in the 2002 episode 034 (ep43).
- Loraine Kelly appeared as herself in a 2003 episode when PC Cathy Bradford appeared on her GMTV show.
- "DS Don Beech (Character)". Internet movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- "Character - Johnny Allen". EastEnders. BBC. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Billy Murray (I)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- "DS John Boulton (Character)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- "Sgt. Matthew Boyden (Character)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- "The Bill Bios". Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Tony O'Callaghan (I)". internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Chief Supt. Brownlow (Character)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- "The Bill Bios". Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- "Other Plays: 1980-1989". Rob Wilton Theatricalia. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "D.I. Burnside (Character)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Christopher Ellison". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "DC Jim Carver (Character)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "DS Jim Carver". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Eric Richard (I)". Internet movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Sergeant Bob Cryer". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "DS Phil Hunter". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Scott Maslen". London: BBC. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "PC Gabriel Kent". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Todd Carty". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "DC 'Tosh' Lines". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Hayward, Anthony (4 May 1998). "Obituary: Kevin Lloyd". The Independent (Britain). Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- "PC Dave Quinnnan". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Andrew Paul (I)". Internet movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "PC Reg Hollis". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Sacked Bill Star Reassures Fans". London: British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). 11 January 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- "Jeff Stewert starring in Miike Snow video". London: The Sun. 18 September 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "DI Samantha Nixon". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (18 April 2009). "Bill star reveals baby heartache". Digital Spy. London. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Roberta Taylor". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Inspector Gina gold". The Bill Bios. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "PC Tony Stamp to leave The Bill". London: BBC News. 5 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Deans, Jason (6 November 2009). "The Bill collars 4m for stalwart's low key farewell". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "My arresting career". Canberra: The Age. 17 March 2005. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Cops and Clobber". The Guardian (United Kingdom). 8 March 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- "In pictures: The Bill's June Ackland". London: BBC News. 9 March 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Alex Walkinshaw". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Simon Rouse". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "My Yorkshire: Simon Rouse". York: Yorkshire Post. 9 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Graham, Alison (5 November 2008). "The Bill's DCI Jack Meadows". London: Radio Times. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "DC Mickey Webb (Character)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- "The Bill's famous faces". MSN News. Retrieved 31 August 2010.