List of To Love-Ru characters
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2009)|
This is a list of characters from the Japanese anime and manga series To Love-Ru. Each character's profile is based more on the manga than the anime adaptation. Also many of the characters now make a cameo appearance in the manga Mayoi Neko Overrun!.
- 1 Yuuki family
- 2 Planet Deviluke
- 3 Sairenji Family
- 4 Kotegawa Family
- 5 Other extraterrestrials
- 6 Sainan High
- 7 The Tenjouin
- 8 Other characters
- 9 References
- Rito Yuuki (結城 リト(梨斗) Yūki Rito?)
- Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe
- Rito is a 15 (currently 16) year-old high-school student. Rito used to be on the soccer team in junior high and was quite good, but quit because he was constantly helping his father with his manga artist duties, thus did not want to leave his sister Mikan alone in the house. Mikan comments he is very good at the most "useless little things", like crane and festival games (e.g. hoops, catching fish, squirt guns). Along with the numerous useless little things Rito is good at, he is also an accomplished florist, gardener, and horticulturalist.
Rito's nature is borderline clumsy, where he always ends up molesting or groping the many girls in the series (though mostly unintentionally). He is extremely kind, selfless, caring, charismatic, and thoughtful and has a lot of respect for women, though mostly by intention, and not so much by success. Due to his shyness around girls, he is very clumsy around women and has great difficulty maintaining his composure around any sort of stimulating situation. Even without interference from Lala's inventions, Oshizu's psychic powers, or Celine jumping into his face, Rito is on his own clumsy enough to trip over absolutely nothing, and possesses an extraodinary skill in accidentally reaching his hands or face into the breasts or other private parts of any girl within reach when he is falling.
It is only by accident that he encounters Lala Satalin Deviluke, and despite his enduring feelings for Haruna Sairenji, Rito shows signs of developing deeper affection towards Lala throughout the story but is unsure if what he feels is actually love. This is shown again when he couldn't help but think about Lala even though he and Haruna were naked together. It is recently revealed that he is in love with Lala, but he is also in love with Haruna. At the end of the series, he confesses to Lala, but tells her he also loves Haruna, yet she is happy on both parts. He is confused as polygamy is illegal in Japan where Lala replied that once he is king of the universe the laws of earth no longer apply and forces him to go tell Haruna (strapping a jet pack to his back). Right before he was about to tell her, she moves out of the way, just like when he confessed to her very early in the series, leading him to state "I love you" to all of the female cast with the exception of Momo, Mikan, Golden Darkness (Yami), and Haruna herself. The ending implies that his "love" troubles will continue on into the future.
As Riko Yuusaki, his female alter-ego, she is a beautiful girl (with a physical appearance resembling a tomboy) who gets much attention from men, such as Motemitsu, the perverted principal and even Saruyama, Rito's best friend. Later, Saruyama falls in love with "Riko-chan" and asks Lala to invite her for a date; out of pity, she forcefully changes Rito into "Riko" so Saruyama can go on a date with Riko. After that Riko only appears for short amount of times at rare occasions.
Rito's independent and reliable 12 year-old sister, Mikan takes care of the housework while their parents are away on business and watches after Celine. In contrast to her brother, she is very mature and does not hesitate to tease him, going as far as stating they aren't blood-related, but quickly retracting the statement, playing it off as a lie. Mikan also seems to have a certain lack of respect for Rito because of this (she hardly ever addresses him by his honorific as an older brother), but does refer to him as "Onii-chan" as thanks for trying so hard to take care of her when she develops a fever and when he gives her a Christmas present. Mikan may not show it, but she cares very deeply for Rito and misses his company, to the point one could suspect her of having a brother complex. This is more evident in the second OVA where she wonders if he would marry her if they were not blood related, and in the manga where she blushes every time another character mentions her brother, and also in the 5th OVA where after being hit by the pollen she tries to molest him while affectionately calling him "Onii-chan". Her brother complex may be the reason she rarely calls Rito "Onii-chan"; less a lack of respect and more a sign of her wish that their relationship was something other than that of a brother and sister. She also states how she and Rito used to play together before Lala entered their lives. It is later revealed that Mikan is terrified of thunder and lightning (and that Rito would always comfort her).
Mikan grows quite attached to Golden Darkness, perhaps due to Darkness seemingly being the same age as her. Mikan is very perceptive and seems to be able to read people's emotions, even their reactions, most of which is Rito's obvious anxiety around Haruna and Yui's subtle feelings for him. Mikan even calls him a "playboy" (as does Nana) for attracting so many girls all of a sudden. Mikan, however, does respect Rito's relationship with Lala, even going so far as to tell Momo not to get too close to Rito for Lala's sake, although it is fairly obvious that she could have done this out of jealousy from how close Momo was getting to Rito.
Mikan appears with Celine in the series Mayoi Neko Overrun! as customers in the manga series chapter 1 and with some friends in chapter 3.
Rito's father is a manga artist and is very different compared to Rito in terms of both looks and personality. Saibai draws at amazing speeds and can be utterly serious before deadlines are met, but seems to have a bit of a goofy side, such as making a joke about Rito and Lala "sleeping" together every night and punching Rito when he got drunk and mistook his son for a burglar. With the help of Lala he returns for the Christmas party, stating how much Zastin and his workers have grown since starting out. In the anime, he writes a (not-so-encouraging) letter to him at the end of the first season.
Rito's mother is a fashion designer and a scout for fashion models. Normally working overseas, she returns home to check up on the family. Despite initially appearing to be refined and chic, Ringo's personality is equally as odd as Saibai's, where she has a tendency to start sizing women up with her hands, whenever she spots pretty girls. Ringo seems to take her work very seriously, having immediately entered "work-mode", when she meets Lala and Haruna for the first time. Like her daughter, Ringo is also highly perceptive, able to read Haruna's feelings towards Rito. With the help of Lala, she returns for the Christmas party and mistakes Celine as her son's child.
Lala Satalin Deviluke
- Lala is the first princess of Deviluke, whose family rules the Galaxy. As such, her hand in marriage is sought from across the Galaxy as she is (presumably) the successor to the Galaxy's throne. A rather childish girl, she is somewhat naïve regarding the culture and customs on Earth. Lala initially runs away from home, as she does not wish to get married to any of her suitors, and due to an accident, ends up naked in Rito's bathtub. Upon arriving on Earth, Lala pretends to love Rito to keep herself from getting married, but really does fall in love with him after she misinterprets a statement that Rito shouts that was meant for Haruna. Although Lala appears to be somewhat airheaded, she is well known on Deviluke for her genius-level intellect and enjoys making all manners of inventions, often prompting some disastrous effect or another. Throughout the series, she frequently tries to get Rito to love her, although her grand gestures generally end up putting Rito and company in embarrassing situations. Although Rito frequently chastises her for causing embarrassing and otherwise troublesome incidents, Lala rarely shows any form of negativity towards him and even states it is impossible for her to hate him. Even after finding out that he was in love with Haruna as well, she instead cheered and stated that they could both marry him.
- Eccentric, playful and intelligent, Lala isn't shy (due to being bathed and dressed by numerous servants while growing up,) to a point where it feels almost natural for her to be in the nude (the only exception of this occurs when Lala catches a personality changing fever from another planet, making her very shy), although she will cover herself up in front of those she really dislikes such as Lepescu. Like all citizens from Deviluke, Lala's physical abilities vastly exceeds that of a human (in one instance, she manages to blow away a typhoon just by shouting) and has a distinctive tail with a shape of a spade on the end that can shoot a destructive beam. Oddly, her tail is very sensitive, causing her friends to nickname it her "weakness" (all female Devilukeans' tails are more sensitive than a male's) despite being able to throw Run and Saki to a wall while they mess with it. Unfortunately, Lala is bad at cooking. The food she cooks is either inedible or extremely spicy. While the fact that Lala is an alien is initially a secret, it becomes common knowledge relatively soon after her arrival with no one making a big deal about it. According to Ringo, Lala's measurements are B89, W57, H87.
- She recently made a cameo appearance as a passer-by in Chapter 8 of the manga Mayoi Neko Overrun!.
- Lala's all costume robot, who acts as a module to form her clothing. Peke is exceptionally devoted to Lala and has the ability to shapeshift into any kind of clothing for her to wear, but this also drains her power supply. She can also scan the clothing of people around her and duplicate those clothes. As her batteries run out, the clothing Lala wears will slowly dissolve, until it completely disappears. To recharge, Peke simply needs to sleep. Using a dress-form program, Peke has the ability to take on a human form, with the appearance of a young girl.
Gid Lucion Deviluke
- The King of Deviluke and Emperor of the known universe, Gid is the father of Lala, Nana, and Momo. Despite his near omnipotent power, he has the physical appearance of a child, looking slightly devilish, with shark-like teeth, spiky black hair, and the characteristic Devilukean tail. While his daughters' tails end in spades, his appears as a wicked looking trident. Gid's personality borders juvenile delinquency and (extreme) perversion, going as far as to use his child like appearance to get close to pretty girls, thus Lala claims the only reason he wants her to get married is so he can step down as king and be free to pursue his perverted hobbies. Lala states his current appearance is due to him using too much power during the "Galaxy Unification Wars", which desized his body, following his conquest. However even in this form he is described to still be very powerful, stating he could destroy the Earth if he released it. In the manga, he seems more easygoing and is much more accepting of Rito as his heir, where he simply wishes to relinquish the throne so he could pursue his perverted interests. However, in the anime, he is much more critical of Rito and even attacks him, saying that Rito is not suitable for Lala.
Nana and Momo
- Lala's younger sisters and being twins, they are introduced with Nana and Momo when they have most of the characters in a virtual game world created by Lala that they subsequently modify. They claim they did this to determine the nature of their sister's friends and to test Rito's affection for Lala.
- Both Nana and Momo are currently on Earth, running away from their studies. During this time, Lala has taken it upon herself to look after them and discipline them when they do something mischievous; ironically she has done those herself. They used to live with Zastin and his cohorts, but found it too cramped and uncomfortable. To get around this and to spend more time with their big sister, they created a pocket dimension in Rito's house (it is said to be bigger than Rito's house) to live in.
- Nana has long hair, a single visible sharp tooth and unlike her sisters, a flat chest, which is used as a recurring gag throughout the manga. She is quite jealous of Momo's chest. She understands and can talk to animals. At some point of the series To Love Ru OVA 5, Nana develops small feelings for Rito, after he saved her from Momo's plant friends. And she manages to get the courage to sleep with Rito in his bedroom while he is sleeping, but actually sees Lala and Momo sleeping with him. Nana is so far the only character to question why so many girls fall in love with Rito, yet it is clear that she has growing feelings for him as well.
- Like her sisters, she has a cell phone capable of transporting objects. However, instead of gadgets, Nana summons animals.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, Nana becomes a Sainan High student at Momo's urging. Nana manages to get a new friend named Mea. When she found out Mea was a weapon like Yami and that she wanted to stop "playing" friends, she became depressed and confused. After being encouraged by Rito, Nana met up with Mea again and made up when Nana said she doesn't care if Mea is a weapon or anything, she just want to be with her and be friends.
- Momo has short hair and is generally sweeter than her twin, but develops a bad attitude whenever Nana takes credit for what she does. What gadgets are to Lala and animals are to Nana, plants are to Momo; she has a special connection with them that allows her to manipulate plants at will.
- She falls in love with Rito and has a strong attraction towards him (similar to Lala's, but with a more lustful desire), stating how his facial expressions are lovely, letting him touch her tail, and even becoming more aroused when Nana refers to him as a "beast". At times, she would even sneak into Rito's bed at night, but when asked why she does that, she simply replies that she is sometimes half asleep and unintentionally ends up in Rito's bed. At one time, she nearly stated how jealous she was of Lala that Rito's hand was stuck to her tail. Her tail is also able to shoot out lightning. As her attraction to Rito grows, so does her protectiveness of him, as she will physically threaten other characters (such as Mea) with violence if she attempts to harm Rito.
- Like her sisters, she has a cell phone capable of transporting objects. However, instead of gadgets, Momo summons plants.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, Momo takes over the role of the main female protagonist alongside Golden Darkness. Wanting Rito's love, but unwilling to cause conflict between her sister or Haruna, Momo realises if Rito becomes the next king of Deviluke, Earth laws will not apply to him, allowing him to create a harem where she can display her affections openly. Momo along with her sister become Sainan High's students, where Momo takes it upon herself to try to bring out the "carnivore" in Rito, which basically means his sex drive so he will take it upon himself to want to create a harem with all of the female cast.
Second names of the members of the royal family of Deviluke are resembling the names of different devils and demons, which plays along with their family name.
Those are, for each of them:
- Gid Lucion Deviluke - Lucifer
- Lala Satalin Deviluke - Satan
- Momo Belia Deviluke - Belial
- Nana Astar Deviluke - Astaroth
- Lala's personal bodyguard and the best swordsman on Deviluke. Initially, Zastin disapproves of Rito, deeming him weak and subsequently seeks to test his strength. However, once Rito exclaims his opinion of marriage in self-defense, Zastin is swayed by his words (though not in the way Rito intends) and summarily approves of him, believing he truly understands Lala's feelings. He is currently working as the assistant chief to Saibai; the funds he gets for his duties are handed to Lala for her use. Zastin has shown a keen interest in becoming a manga artist, professionally. He has two assistants that work under him, simply known as Maul and Smutts. Zastin's tail is thin and very scorpion-like in appearance.
- Despite his skill with the sword, Zastin has a horrible sense of direction, resulting in him getting lost (one of the running gags in To Love-Ru). He also seems to have extremely bad luck, where he keeps getting run over by trains and cars.
- Sophie Michaela Deviluke (ソフィー・ミカエラ・デビルーク Sofi Mikaera Debirūku?)
- First referenced in Chapter 2 and formally introduced in Chapter 49 of Darkness, Sophie is the Queen of Deviluke and the mother of Lala, Nana, and Momo. Unlike the rest of her family whose middle names refer to devils, her middle name is a reference to the archangel Michael.
- Sophie is the last descendant of the Charmian race and therefore possesses no tail. While her Charmian blood endows her with one of the most beautiful appearances and voice, it has also caused trouble for her in the past. She possesses Charm, an ability that seduces any males she comes across, causing them to lose their sanity and run wildly towards her. The first person not to be affected by her Charm ability is Gid. Gid helped Sophie restrain many males during his combat training and gained her trust. She later married Gid and had three children.
- It is said that Nana's and Momo's trait to communicate with animal and plants respectively was inherited from Sophie's Charm ability.
- Bonham (ボーナム Bōnamu?)
- Nicknamed Bonham of Thunder (雷鳴のボーナム Raimei no Bōnamu?), he was a loyal warrior to Gid in the 6th Galactic War. He was the teacher of Lala, Nana and Momo. His military space battleship, Thunderbolt (サンダーボルト Sandāboruto?), was disengaged and joined back by Lala when she wanted to learn about mechanics (To Love-Ru Darkness' Volume 3).
- One of Rito's classmates and the girl of his affections, Haruna has similar feelings for him, having been attracted to his kind, gentle nature since junior high. Despite her growing love for Rito, which she believes to be unrequited, she usually suppresses her feelings and cannot confess to him because of her friendship with Lala, who also loves Rito. However, with some encouragement, she tells Lala of her ordeal, to which Lala accepts, claiming Haruna as her rival for Rito's heart, while remaining friends. She lives with her older sister in an apartment and has a severe fear of ghosts and the supernatural, the exception being Oshizu Murasame, to an extent. When frightened, she has a habit of grabbing the nearest thing around her – typically Rito – and swinging wildly, in an attempt to get rid of whatever frightens her. There is also a running gag to where Rito is about to confess to her, only for something (or someone) to come between it.
- A highly responsible person, Haruna's personality can sway her classmates' hearts to vote for her as their class representative, even when she did not run to be a candidate. She is affiliated with the tennis club and a southpaw. According to Mio, Haruna's measurements are B78, W55, H80.
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, it would appear Rito has yet to properly confess his feelings to Haruna, despite Lala pressuring him to do so and the fact he can have multiple wives if he became the King. This due to the fact he still has a monogamy viewpoint.
- Haruna's older sister, she shares her apartment with Haruna. Extremely popular with the guys (having received confessions from two men at the same time), Akiho continuously turns them down, as her sister states she is not looking for love at the moment. However, she has been dating Yuu Kotegawa.
- An uptight, high-strung girl placed in Rito's class during the second year, Yui has little to no tolerance for anything she does not consider to be "acceptable behavior"; ironically, despite this, she seems to secretly desire for Rito to do them to her (where in the OVA 5 she states "you're the only one who can do naughty things to me"). Her haughty opinions, quick temper, and habit of speaking her mind often results in her vocally reprimanding classmates. Yui quickly grows annoyed and disgusted by eccentricities and bizarre actions, particularly with regards to Rito and Lala. Unfortunately, almost every encounter with Rito usually ends up with her embarrassed, naked or groped, (Or all three) and although her nature prevents her from easing her behavior, she does slowly warm up to his usual antics. After Rito saves Yui from a group of delinquents, she develops feelings for Rito, although her inexperience with boys leaves her unable to understand her feelings and is continually in self-denial about them. And when Rito usually asks what's wrong, she says the exact opposite of what she wants to say and then hurts him in some way (a typical Tsundere). After Celine takes on her human like form, she becomes very close to Yui, even being seen as a daughter like figure in Yui's daydreams of her and Rito being married together. A common gag is that newer characters cannot remember Kotegawa's family name (calling her "Kokegawa" for example), presumably due to the fact she is generally an unwilling participant in Lala's frequent schemes. Also, she really likes cats – owning cat based books, having a stuffed cat, decorating her room with cat shaped things, shaping her chocolate into a cat's face, and even having a cat-themed floaty, something Rito seems to find cute about her. According to Mio, her measurements are B88, W59, H87.
- She also appeared in chapter 4 of Mayoi Neko Overrun! as a walk-on character due to the fact that she likes cats.
- Yui's 19 year-old brother, Yuu is a ladies' man, something Yui dislikes. After finding Rito and Yui being chased by hoodlums, he defends the two from the ruffians, while commenting that he hopes Yui will grow to be more mature. At the moment, he is dating Akiho, Haruna's older sister but unknown to him she isn't taking the relationship as seriously as he does. He also is one of the few people to know that Rito is Riko.
- Ren Elsie Jewelria & Run (レン・エルシ・ジュエリア&ルン Ren Erushi Jueria & Run?)
- Voiced by: Fuyuka Ōura
- A childhood friend of Lala, Ren is infamously known for wearing girls clothing during his play dates with Lala when he was a child. He arrives on Earth to win Lala by proving he is "man enough" for her, but becomes jealous of her relationship with Rito. Due to his pursuit of her, he accidentally gives Rito his first kiss. While Ren is furious, it has an unexpected consequence towards his "alter ego". As Ren is from planet Memorze (メモルゼ Memoruze?), he can change gender in mind and body upon triggering a specific stimulus. In his case, a sneeze. As a girl, Run (ルン Run?) is in love with Rito, due to the kiss, and blames Lala for her misfortunes, while Ren is still in competition, albeit one-sided, with Rito for Lala's hand in marriage. Currently, Run is a famous idol, having released several albums. She becomes friends with Kyouko after Run played an antagonist in her show and now are often seen together, even releasing a few albums together.
- In the anime, while Ren appears a few times, Run is the dominant personality of the two, who is more serious about her feelings towards Rito to the point of stalking him, even taking a simple misunderstanding from him into her believing all men are never serious about her feelings. In the manga, Ren appears at first as the main personality. However, later on Run becomes the dominant personality (like in the anime) with Ren usually showing up for comedic effect, or when Ren does show up he inevitably changes into Run. In To Love-Ru Troubles, it is revealed they are able to communicate with each other.
- In Chapter 9 of To Love-Ru Darkness, Run and Ren permanently separate into two different beings upon reaching adulthood.
- Run appears in Mayoi Neko Overrun! as a cameo on a poster.
- Golden Darkness (金色の闇 Konjiki no Yami?)
- Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
- A dispassionate, withdrawn assassin, Golden Darkness was hired by one of Lala's prospective suitors, Lacospo, to kill Rito. She breaks the contract after noting Rito's true nature. Golden Darkness came to Earth on the Lunatique, a very fast ship (it can travel 30 million light-years in 2 hours). Golden Darkness has decided to stay on Earth, where she roams the city streets and Sainan High, purportedly to continue her mission to assassinate Rito, although she has yet to accomplish this despite numerous opportunities, hinting that she says this as an excuse to stay on Earth, which is then confirmed). Commonly referred as "Yami-chan", she spends much of her time reading books and magazines, while eating taiyaki (it is the only thing she eats since it is the first food offered to her by Rito. By her planet's calculations, she is 24 years-old, despite having the appearance of a 14 year-old (her Trans ability has slowed her ageing process), although this is only mentioned in the anime. She has a weakness to anything slimy.
- Like Lala, Golden Darkness' physical abilities are exponentially stronger than a human's. She states she hates "ecchi" people, and does not hesitate to assault a person who looks at her in an obscene way. She has become close to Mikan Yuuki and seems to keep an eye out for her, evident when she and Mikan switched bodies and the Principal attempted to grope her, prompting Yami-san (in Mikan's body) to warn him not to touch Mikan and deliver a savage beating. Though she always says she will kill Rito one day, it is becoming increasingly doubtful that she will ever do it. In fact, as of chapter 159, she seems to have begun to develop feelings for Rito. Instead of beating him and saying "I hate ecchi people" like she normally does, she blushes when Rito sees her in a swimsuit and states "Don't look at me with those ecchi eyes".
- In To Love-Ru Darkness, after some convincing from Mikan, she enrolls in school and becomes a classmate of the main cast. Mikan is also giving her cooking lessons. Despite her normal stoic appearance, it is obvious that she does care for Rito, and is shown to be developing further feelings for him, although not enough to forgo the occasional beating when he becomes "Ecchi". Her new life may already be in jeopardy when Mea, a fellow classmate, is revealed to be her 'little sister', suggesting that she will have to return to space and fulfill her contract to kill Rito.
- Recently, it is revealed that Golden Darkness's creator is Professor Tearju and that her given name is Eve.
- She is based on the young girl from Black Cat, Eve, seeing how they both can turn any part of their bodies into a weapon. Also they are both voiced by Misato Fukuen in the respective anime.
- Also, in chapter 61 of the To Love-Ru manga and Motto To Love-Ru 10 (Episode 4 Act 1), "Yami Yami Fashion", Golden Darkness tries on a black dress similar to the one that Eve wears in the final chapters of Black Cat.
- She recently made a cameo as a bath-goer in Chapter 7 of Mayoi Neko Overrun!.
Kentaro Yabuki initially illustrated Black Cat between 2000-2004, then assisted Saki Hasemi with his manga project To Love-Ru. They agreed that a character featured in To Love-Ru would be based on one of the protagonists in Black Cat, which ended up being Eve. Yami's debuted in chapter 35 of the manga and her first appearance in the anime is in episode 11. Her character was recognized for being extremely similar to Eve and is currently one of the most popular characters in the series. Fans also debate whether she could have her own series. 
- Ryouko Mikado (御門 涼子 Mikado Ryōko?)
- Voiced by: Masako Joh (Season 1 and Motto), Harumi Sakurai (To Love-Ru Darkness)
- The provocative school doctor at Sainan High, Ryouko helps out other extraterrestrials on Earth in various ways, usually dealing with medical care, although she does offer her human students a variety of her own concoctions as well. Formerly an operative for a shadowy, black market extraterrestrial organization bent on overthrowing Emperor Gid, she fled to Earth in hopes of hiding from her superiors. Evidence of her non-human origins are the elf-like ears hidden by her short hair - her species has not yet been specified. Furthermore, she seems to be smitten with Rito, as shown when she asks him to rub oil on her.
- Tearju Lunatique (ティアーユ ルナティーク Tiāyu Runatīku?)
- Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
- The woman who created Golden Darkness using of her own DNA, therefore the two look almost identical although each has her own distinguishing features. She raised Yami as her own daughter and, after finding out the organization wanted to turn Yami into a weapon, was almost killed while rescuing Yami and then fleeing for life. Well-endowed and beautiful, she quickly becomes the object of attention of the male students of the school who consider her clumsiness (on a par with Rito's, according to Oshizu) as rather cute. Unlike others she calls Yami "Eve". She also is an old classmate of Ryouko Mikado's and was brought to Earth by her to reunited with Yami.
- As with her creation, Tearju is based upon a character of the same name and similar role from Black Cat.
- Celine (セリーヌ Serīnu?)
- Voiced by: Ryōka Yuzuki
- Lala's gift for Rito's 16th birthday, Celine is initially a multi-story, carnivorous, sentient sunflower kept in the Yuuki's residence backyard. Although seemingly monstrous, Rito cares for Celine deeply, referring to her as his family. The plant has traits in common with humans: perspiring when the climate is humid, wearing a scarf during a chilly weather and eating ramen when hungry (although Celine still needs the basic nutrients of water and sunlight as well). When Celine seemingly contracts a deadly disease, Kare Kare, Rito is fully dedicated to saving her and finding the only known antidote, the luckberry. With his friends they journey to the S-level-danger class planet of Misletoe to obtain the antidote, only to return and find Celine all dried up. In reality, she was germinating and Celine burst out from her single seed, taking the appearance of an infant girl, with a flower on her head. This event shocks even Momo, who is very knowledgeable about the galaxy's flora, stating that even with all of her knowledge there is still much about Celine's biological makeup that is a complete mystery to her.
- Referring to Rito as her "mama", the infant Celine gets drunk when she drinks cola at which time she sprays pollen from the flower on her head that temporarily causes anyone who inhales it to fall in love with Rito (a side-effect that originates from Celine's own affection for him from taking care of her every day). Celine has a tendency jump onto someone out of nowhere or playfully tackle any passing girl and attempting to breast feed. Comically mistaken as being Rito's daughter, Celine makes guest star appearances in the OVA adaptation (as a plant near the end of OVA 4 and as an infant in OVA 6 part 3) and becomes a regular character with her infant form in the new anime series.
- She and Mikan are customers at the Stray Cat in the manga series Mayoi Neko Overrun!.
- Kyouko Kirisaki (霧崎 恭子 Kirisaki Kyōko?)
- Voiced by: Chiemi Chiba
- A half-alien girl, Kyōko is a famous idol who has the ability to create and throw fire at will and becomes friends with Run when Run portrays an antagonist on her show. She is best known for her role as Magical Kyōko, a fictional magical girl character who stars in her own television series which Lala loves watching, often forcing Rito to watch it with her. She is present when Run asks Rito to be her date, and is able to tell they aren't dating though wishes Run luck on getting him. Ever since their first meeting on her show, Kyōko and Run have done many projects together, including debuting many songs together.
- When Rito and his friends are given invitations to an RPG world Lala had partially created, an image of Kyōko is programmed into the game. However, Kyōko's programming within the game is modified by Nana and Momo, turning her into the "Demon King", tasked with seeking out Rito and offering him a way to send him and his friends home if he leaves Lala and promises to become her boyfriend. Adding to Rito's anxiety, Demon King Kyōko threatens to destroy Rito and his friends if he does not state his feelings for Lala. In comedic fashion, the otherwise unbeatable Kyōko is destroyed by a watering can that only Rito can use. Although she doesn't seem to be interested in Rito at first there do seem to be signs of her being fond of him after a few interesting situations arise. This becomes more evident after he saves her when she visited his school (to the extent of referring to Rito as a "prince" when he "princess-carries" her).
- Kyouko is based upon a character of the same name from 'Black Cat'. Kyouko also appears in a television in "Black Cat".
- Kyouko also appears in the manga series Mayoi Neko Overrun! on chapter 1.
- Kuro (クロ?)
- A hit man who mysteriously appears on Saki Tenjōin's vacation island to eliminate certain targets. He seems to have a connection to Golden Darkness as revealed in Chapter 150 where it is explained that he is the cause of the destruction of the organization which made Golden Darkness a weapon.
- His name is based on Train Heartnet's code, the "Black Cat", of the manga "Black Cat". His gun resembles Train's with only the symbol different, and he himself is based on Train Heartnet.
- Lacospo (ラコスポ Rakosupo?)
- Voiced by: Kappei Yamaguchi
- One of Lala's suitors, (his appearance reminiscent of Emperor Pilaf of the original Dragonball, perhaps an homage) Lacospo is Golden Darkness' former client, having hired her to kill Rito so that he can marry Lala. Unfortunately, his plan backfires when Lala states she "can never marry someone so cruel" and Golden Darkness breaks their contract upon discovering her target is not as Lacospo described him. Defeated, he leaves, but vows to return and win Lala over. He returns during the fireworks festival, having hired a new assassin, who uses threads from his body to manipulate the limbs of his targets, to kill Rito. The new assassin is defeated by Golden Darkness and Lacospo is defeated when Nana summons a giant cobra-like snake, Jiro Snake (ジロ・スネーク Jiro Sunēku?), the natural enemy of Lacospo's giant frog Gama-tan (ガマたん?) whichn is capable of regurgitating an acidic-like mucus that oddly enough melts only clothes, using this to satisfy his perversions.
Lala's other suitors
- The first suitor to approach in the series. He is from Balke planet, can blind others' eyes by his fake monstrous appearance, but actually he is extremely weak. The anime explains his appearance by stating that he is a shape shifter, but the high ability in shifting is offset by a frail physical body; he cowers when Rito is about to punch him, and then faints and loses his shape after Rito screams at him.
- Priuma (プリューマ Puryūma?)
- The second to approach. He barely has his appearance in the series, and yet defeated even before any people find out his presence because of his tiny figure. (He is smaller than a fly)
- Keize (ケイズ Keizu?)
- A member of Solgam (ソルガム Sorugamu?), a universal mafia organization which is against the Deviluke, suspected of murder, fabrication of illegal weapons. He kidnapped Haruna and Yui to threaten Ryouko to join Solgam.
- Tiger (タイガー Taigā?) & Panther (パンサー Pansā?)
- The Bounty hunters who choose Yami as their target when she and Lala's gangs are in the Bath House. Tiger is the older perverted one, Panther is the younger masculine one. They use an antenna to control Rito's movement and make their move.
- Lanjra (ランジュラ Ranjura?)
- The hitman hired by Lacospo to assassinate Rito, using invisible wires as his weapon of choice. He fought Yami and lost to her.
- Karman (カルマン Karuman?)
- The deceal galaxy fashion model who self-proclaimed as the "No. 1". He tried to kidnap Peke to make her serve him.
- Khameleon (カメレオン Kamereon?)
- The alien who stole the top secrets from a galactic mafia, was on the run and Kuro's target. He can disguise as anyone.
To Love-Ru Darkness character
- Mea's boss, who is behind the plan to make Yami to return the assassins' world.
- She has long black hair, golden eyes, a small yet slender body, and dark skin. She has a similar appearance like Mikan and possesses the same transformation ability as Yami and Mea. It is shown that Nemesis has a bit of a sexual interest in Rito. Momo has an antagonistic personality toward her. She knows that Yami possesses a destructive weapon called "Darkness" which, according to Tearju, is supposedly a forbidden transformation of hers.
To Love-Ru Darkness character
- Yami's former opponent. She arrives to Earth under Nemesis's request to fight Yami.
Risa and Mio
- Risa Momioka (籾岡 里紗 Momioka Risa?) & Mio Sawada (沢田 未央 Sawada Mio?)
- Voiced by: Ryōka Yuzuki (Risa) and Chiemi Chiba (Mio)
- The mischievous, cheerful best friends of Haruna, Risa and Mio spend as much times as they can with her and Lala. Whenever Lala inquires about Earth culture and habits, the two divulge as much information as they can for her (although it is often misleading and perverted). Risa and Mio are known for their playful habit of groping other girls. Recently, it is shown that Mio enjoys cosplay and works at a maid cafe, while Risa might have feelings (or at least lusts) for Rito, but it hasn't been detailed if she was serious or joking.
- The perverted best friend of Rito, Kenichi has known him since junior high and is more open and obvious of his obsession with girls and is one of the few male characters Rito can talk to about his situations involving Haruna or Lala. He is aware of Rito's feelings for Haruna and consistently advises he get together with her. Recently, Kenichi reveals his crush on a girl named Riko, but does not realize she is actually Rito, who is accidentally transformed into a girl by one of Lala's bizarre inventions.
- The best pitcher on the baseball team at Sainan High and an arrogant womanizer, whenever a new girl comes to the school, Motemitsu will try anything to get them to go on a date with him. Greatly admired by his teammates and the male student body, Motemitsu unfortunately is a closet pervert, having taken shots of girls changing. He was once found out taking photos of girls in the swimming pool, during a swimming class, and was suspended from school for two weeks. He also keeps a personal record of every girl in the school with him. A running gag involves Motemitsu immediately asking out (or, in one case, proposing to) any pretty girl he sees, causing his followers to comment "As expected from Motemitsu-senpai, [whatever Motemitsu has just done]!", only to be instantly rejected, to which his followers say "As expected from Motemitsu-senpai, immediately rejected!". He is not seen or mentioned in the later half of the manga for reasons never explained, most likely due to focus more on the growing main cast.
- The ghost of a girl who died in the old abandoned school building 400 years ago, Shizu is sincere, kind, and very curious about the modern world, but has a severe fear of dogs, likened to Haruna's level of fear to the supernatural. She is usually addressed as "Oshizu" (お静?); the O (お?) is an honorific used to refer to women. When frightened, she can emit blasts of mental stress, blowing apart various objects and surroundings, but is also capable of manipulating others through sheer willpower. A related gag is the blasts of stress frequently rip apart clothing, resulting in Rito being in an awkward situation with one of the female cast. Since her meeting with Rito and the others, she begins exploring the world outside the old school building. Oshizu is aware of Haruna's crush on Rito by her ability to sense feelings while possessing another person and becomes very supportive towards cheering Haruna into confessing her feelings to him.
- Oshizu "returns" to the living, after Ryouko creates a prosthetic body for her to inhabit, built with biological qualities (looking and feeling like an actual, human body). However, she occasionally "disconnects" during brief moments of excitement, her spirit leaving her prosthetic body. She currently works as a nurse for Ryouko, while Ryouko maintains Oshizu's physical body. In the first anime, Oshizu is not given a new body and her presence is limited, while she has her body as she does in the manga for the OVA releases and the new anime.
- She appeared in Mayoi Neko Overrun! as a customer (with Haruna).
- The unnamed principal of Sainan High is well known throughout campus as a pervert. He will enroll any girls into the school body so as to ogle and grope them without hesitation (though, according to him, they have to be "cute girls"). This groping is not limited only to Sainan High, but in public, as well. A common gag involves the Principal spontaneously shedding his clothes and chasing after a girl he becomes smitten with, which inevitably results in him beaing beaten to a pulp. Once, Run purposefully causes herself to change into Ren to get the principal to leave her be; upon seeing Ren, the principal thinks briefly, then continues to chase him (stating "This is okay too").
- Throughout the series, the principal has survived many severe injuries and attacks. Some of these include burning, (by Kyouko) beaten up, and on one occasion, almost eaten by a crocodile in the Amazon.
To Love-Ru Darkness character
- The first-year schoolgirl appears in 1st chapter of To Love-Ru Darkness. She is the classmate of Nana and Momo when they two transfer to Sainan High. Nana becomes her friend after talking to her about Nana's ability to understand animals' language. At the end of the second chapter of Darkness, she reveals to Yami that she is Yami's little sister, and possess similar powers. She desires for Yami to kill Rito and return to her life as an assassin instead of living a normal life on Earth. Her master calls her Mea (メア?) (katakana) instead of Mea (芽亜?) (kanji). After chapter 7 it appears she is starting to develop sexual feelings for Rito, and start seeing other people as friends. After Nana found out Mea was a weapon, she told her she was "playing" friends with her. However, Nana made up with her and became friends again.
The Venus Momo Club (shortened as VMC), founded by the first-year students, is first introduced in To Love-Ru Darkness' Chapter 17. It is a fanclub which consists the love-struck boys who are in love with Momo. Nakajima is currently the one in charge of the club. Its members who have been named so far are 1-C's Nakajima (中嶋?), Sugimura (杉村?), and a third-year student named Kusao (草尾?).
Others in Faculty
- Honekawa (骨川?)
- The homeroom teacher of Rito's class. He wears glasses with swirls in them and is quite absent-minded at times. Apparently, back in his younger days he was very handsome, to the point that not even Rito can recognize him. He also helped Run in getting close to Rito but actually didn't take effect. He also had a brief appearance as passing by pedestrian in Mayoi Neko Overrun.
- Sasuga (佐清?)
- The tennis club's advisor. He gets girls' attention due to his handsome appearance. He was once copied by Ghi Bree, one of Lala's fiancee candidates. Later, he was challenged by Gid in a tennis match, which made him faint standing because of Gid's massive strength.
- Naruiwa (鳴岩?)
- First appeared in volume 2 and his name is revealed in Volume 3. He is in the disciplinary team.
- Ogawa (小川?)
- The homeroom teacher of 1-B class, which Momo, Nana, Yami and later Mea attend.
- Ageru Matome (的目 あげる Matome Ageru?)
- The male class representative in Rito's class at his second year. He is drawn badly and always wears a pair of glasses. First introduced at Volume 6.
- Tachibana (立花?)
- Rito's junior from his middleschool and also attending to Sainan High. He admires Rito's "how to get girls' attention" and asks Rito to help him be Haruna's 'man-in-thought', also Yui's.
- They are the two girls who make short appearance throughout the original To Love-Ru. Sayaka is the girl who usually wears two hairpins with short hair, and Koyomi is the bespectacled girl with long hair.
- The arrogant queen bee of the school, third-year student Saki consistently tries to one-up Lala, stating there can only be one "queen" in Sainan High. She once tries to seduce Rito to make Lala jealous, but when that does not work, Saki takes up any excuse to physically assault Rito. She gains a crush on Zastin, only to be horrified when she discovers he is Lala's servant. However, this makes her very determined to win his heart, at any cost. Though she can be stuck up and prideful, she has shown a kinder side to people in need, as when she saved Aya from bullies and Riko (Rito's female counterpart) from the perverted principal.
- In the first anime, Saki attempts to seduce Rito throughout the series and does not look at Zastin the way she does in the manga.
- In Mayoi Neko Overrun!, she is shown with her two friends at a ball in chapter 3.
Rin and Aya
- Rin Kujou (九条 凛 Kujō Rin?) & Aya Fujisaki (藤崎 綾 Fujisaki Aya?)
- Voiced by: Mai Hashimoto (Rin) and Kaori Mizuhashi (Aya)
- Saki's loyal and assisting friends, Rin is skilled in the kendo arts and has been a loyal bodyguard of Saki for years, as her family has always served the Tenjouin in this position. Is the only person who has been able to take down Lala in one strike by throwing a vibrating bracelet onto Lala's tail incapacitating her. Always comes across as professional and serious although Rito's perverted accidents sometimes test her patience and she was willing to back Saki up after hearing her reason for running away from home.
- The bespectacled Aya is weak-willed and became associated with Saki after she and Rin protected her from bullies when they were kids. In the first anime it is shown that Aya has a license for heavy machinery when she grabs Rito out of the crowd using a crane during the Miss Sainan contest in which Saki challenged Lala to a contest to decide who was the most beautiful in Sainan high.
- Ryuuga Tenjouin (天条院 劉我 Tenjōin Ryūga?)
- The father of Saki Tenjōin and the Tenjōin Group Leader. At the beginning, because of his interest on sending his daughter to a prestigious foreign academy, he appears to be a strict man that does not listen to others. But later, when his daughter firmly states her wishes to stay with her friends (specifically Aya since Rin, as her bodyguard, would go with her anyway,) he accepted his daughter's wishes, and later revealed to his butler how proud he was of his daughter doing things her own way before exploding in laughter and stating: "She is a Tenjoin after all".
- Kai Kujou (九条 戒 Kujō Kai?)
- The father of Rin Kujō and the head butler of the Tenjoin family.
- Arashiyama (嵐山 Arashiyama?)
- The butler at the Tenjouin Family's Mansion.
- Takami (高海?)
- The hostess of the hotspring lodging-house. She may be the cause of Sainan High to go spending the holiday in her lodging-house (the Principal seems to use the holiday trip as a chance to meet her).
- Mikan's homeroom teacher in her elementary school. She is shown to be an otaku and big fan of Saibai's work.
- They are two of Mikan's close friends who visit the Yuuki family. Later in their visit, Sachie forgets to return Mikan's book, so they come back to the house only to see Mikan in an abnormal position with Rito.
- Makoto Ooyoshi (大好 誠 Ooyoshi Makoto?)
- The 6-C student in Mikan's school. He proposed to Mikan once but she rejected. His name is mentioned by Sachie and Mami.
- To Love-Ru Chapter 27: Rito's Long Day (リトのある長い一日, Rito no aru nagai ichinichi)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 104: Siblings (兄妹, Kyōdai)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 73: Bad Mood? Good Mood? (不機嫌?ご機嫌?, Fukigen? Gokigen?)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 60. Troublesome, Isn't It? (大変だねェ, Taihen da nē)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 2: Great Escape of Love (愛の大脱出, Ai no dai dasshutsu)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 91: Honest Feelings (真っ直ぐなキモチ, Massugu na kimochi)
- To Love Ru Chapter 30: Ladies, Be Modest
- To Love-Ru Chapter 60: Troublesome, Isn't It? (大変だねェ, Taihen da nē)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 97: Trouble Quest 5 (とらぶるくえすと5, TORABURU KUESUTO go)
- to-LOVE ru chapter 160 page 13
- To Love-Ru Episode 22: Shudder! The Culture Festival (戦慄!文化祭, Senritsu! Bunkasai)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 117
- To Love-Ru Chapter 86: Sister... (妹よ・・・, Imōto yo...)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 138: Happening Weather
- To Love-Ru Chapter 23: Scramble For The Lips (唇争奪戦, Kuchibiru sōdatsusen)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 42: Confession (告白, Kokuhaku)
- to-LOVE-ru Chapter 138 Page 18
- To Love-Ru Chapter 76: Sleepover party (お泊り会, Otomari kai)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 58: An Unexpected End (意外な結末, Igai na ketsumatsu)
- "Yami Character Profile Official Site". Shueisha. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Motto To Love-Ru". animenewsnetwork. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- To Love-Ru Chapter 149: The Smiling Cat (ほほえんでいる猫, Sono nikoyaka neko)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 13: The Lust Whirling Underwater (水中に渦巻く欲望, Suichū ni uzumaku yokubō)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 113: Beach Girls♡ (ビーチ・ガールズ♡, BĪCHI GǍRUZU♡)
- To Love-Ru Chapter 80: Master of Love (恋愛マスター, Ren'ai MASUTĀ)