List of U.S. counties named after personal first names
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of U.S. counties named after personal first names. Saints and royalty are excluded.
- Ada County, Idaho: Ada is named for Ada Riggs, the first pioneer child born in the area and the daughter of H.C. Riggs, a cofounder of Boise, Idaho.
- Caroline County, Maryland: Caroline is named for Caroline Eden, daughter of Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore, sister of Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore, and wife of Maryland's last colonial governor, Robert Eden.
- Cecil County, Maryland: Cecil is named for Cecilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore, the first Proprietary Governor of Maryland.
- Charles County, Maryland: Charles is named for Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore.
- Collin County, Texas: Collin is named for Collin McKinney, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and early settler in the future county.
- DeWitt County, Illinois: DeWitt is named for DeWitt Clinton, the presidential candidate and seventh and ninth governor of New York.
- East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana: East Feliciana is allegedly named for Felicite de Gálvez, the wife of Bernardo de Gálvez, a Spanish governor of the Louisiana Territory.
- Florence County, South Carolina: Florence is named for Florence Harllee, a daughter of W. W. Harllee, a president of the Wilmington and Manchester Railroad.
- Frederick County, Maryland is named for Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore.
- Florence County, Wisconsin: Florence is named for Florence Julst, the first woman pioneer in the region.
- Henry County, Iowa: Henry is named for Henry Dodge, a governor of the Wisconsin Territory (which included present-day Iowa) and later U. S. senator from Wisconsin.
- Hernando County, Florida: Hernando is named for Hernando de Soto, the Spanish explorer.
- Isabella County, Michigan: Isabella is named for Isabella I, the Queen regnant of Castile and León.
- Jerome County, Idaho: Jerome is named for either Jerome Hill, Jerome Kuhn or Jerome Kuhn, Jr., three related local leaders important to the county.
- Josephine County, Oregon: Josephine is named for Virginia "Josephine" Rollins, the first European-American woman to settle in southern Oregon.
- Marshall County, South Dakota: Marshall is named for prominent county resident Marshall Vincent.
- Millard County, Utah:Named for Millard Fillmore thirteenth president of the United States.
- Patrick County, Virginia: Patrick is named for Patrick Henry, the fiery speaker and Founding Father who served as the first and sixth governor of Virginia.
 Possibly named for first names
- Ida County, Iowa: Ida is named for possibly Ida Smith, the first European-American child born in the county.
- Louisa County, Iowa: Louisa is named for either Louisa Massey of Dubuque, Iowa, who, according to legend, killed the murderer of her brother; or Louisa County, Virginia.
 Indirectly named for first names
- Franklin County, Idaho: Franklin is named for Franklin, Idaho, the first town in the state, in turn named for Franklin Richards, an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.