List of United Kingdom by-elections (1979–present)
This is a list of parliamentary by-elections in the United Kingdom since 1979, with the names of the incumbent and victor and their respective parties. Where seats changed political party at the election, the result is highlighted: red for a Labour gain, blue for a Conservative gain, orange for a Liberal, SDP or Liberal Democrat gain, yellow for a SNP gain and grey for any other gain.
Where the cause of by-election is given as "resignation" or "seeks re-election", this indicates that the incumbent was appointed on his or her own request to an "office of profit under the Crown", either the Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds or the Steward of the Manor of Northstead. Accepting an office of profit under the Crown vacates the Member's seat. This process is used because members of the House of Commons are not technically permitted to resign. A member who resigns in this manner may stand for re-election.
UK by-election records
For a list of exceptional results and records in the history of by-elections in the United Kingdom see: United Kingdom by-election records
- Manchester Evening News
- "David Miliband to step down as MP". The Guardian. 27 March 2013.
- "Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness resigns as Mid-Ulster MP". BBC News Online. 30 December 2012.
- Croydon North by-election: Labour's Steve Reed secures win | url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20544539 | accessdate= 30/11/12
- url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20345196 | accessdate=16/11/2012
- United Kingdom Election Results (David Boothroyd)
- United Kingdom Elections (Keele University)
- British Parliamentary By-Elections since 1945
- List of MPs since 1660
- F. W. S. Craig, British Parliamentary Election Results 1974–83
- F. W. S. Craig, British Parliamentary Election Statistics 1832–1987
- F. W. S. Craig, Chronology of British Parliamentary By-elections 1833–1987