United States Navy staff corps
In the United States Navy, commissioned officers are either line officers or staff corps officers. Staff corps officers are specialists in career fields that are professions unto themselves, such as physicians, lawyers, civil engineers, chaplains, and supply specialists. For example, a doctor can advance to become the commanding officer (CO) of a hospital, a hospital ship, or a medical school or the chief of the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, while a supply officer can become the CO of a supply depot or a school or the head of the Naval Supply Systems Command.
Staff Corps officers wear their specialty insignia on the sleeve of the dress blue uniforms and on their shoulder boards, in place of the star worn by line officers. On Winter Blue and Khaki uniforms, the specialty insignia is a collar device worn on the left collar, while the rank device is worn on the right.
List of staff corps and their ranking officers
|Medical Corps||210X||Surgeon General of the United States Navy||
VADM Matthew L. Nathan
|Dental Corps||220X||Chief, Dental Corps||
RDML Stephen Pachuta
|Nurse Corps||290X||Director, Nurse Corps||
RADM Rebecca McCormick-Boyle
|Medical Service Corps||230X||Director, Medical Service Corps||
RDML Terry Moulton
|Navy Chaplain Corps||410X||varies by religion:||Chief of Chaplains of the United States Navy||
RADM Margaret G. Kibben
|Supply Corps||310X||Commander, Naval Supply Systems Command||
RADM Jonathan A. Yuen
|Civil Engineer Corps||510X||Commander, Naval Facilities Engineering Command||
RADM Katherine L. Gregory
|Judge Advocate General's Corps||250X||Judge Advocate General of the Navy||
VADM Nanette M. DeRenzi
†An officer designator describes their general community or profession. The (fourth) digit (X) denotes the whether the officer has a Regular (0), Reserve (5), or Full Time Support (7) commission.
When officers are of the same grade and date of commissioning, but from different officer’s categories, seniority takes precedence in the following order:
- Civil Engineer
- Judge Advocate General
- Medical Service
- Staff and line
- List of Naval Officer Designators
- United States Navy officer rank insignia
- Uniforms of the United States Navy
- Badges of the United States Navy
- U.S. Navy midshipman rank insignia can be found in the midshipman article.
- U.S. Navy warrant officer rank insignia can be found in the warrant officer (United States) article.
- List of United States Navy enlisted warfare designations
- United States Navy enlisted rate insignia
- List of United States Navy ratings
- Navy Enlisted Classification
- This article incorporates text in the public domain from the United States Navy.
- "United States Navy Specialty Insignia — Staff Corps". Navy Data. U.S. Navy. Retrieved 2006-12-26.