Many United States Presidents have written autobiographies about their Presidencies and/or (some periods of) their life before their Presidencies. Some 19th century United States Presidents who wrote autobiographies are James Buchanan and Ulysses S. Grant, though Grant's autobiography is about his time as General during the U.S. Civil War and not about his Presidency. Out of the former U.S. Presidents since 1923, only George H. W. Bush has not written an autobiography. Some of the more recent U.S. Presidential autobiographies, such as Bill Clinton's, George. W. Bush's, and Barack Obama's (written and published before he was elected president) sold well enough to earn them millions of dollars.
Autobiographies covering the period of their presidency 
- Note: Only publication information for the first edition is given.
- Mr. Buchanan's Administration on the Eve of Rebellion by James Buchanan. D. Appleton and Company, 1866.
- Theodore Roosevelt: An Autobiography by Theodore Roosevelt. Macmillan, 1913.
- The Autobiography of Calvin Coolidge by Calvin Coolidge. Cosmopolitan Book Corporation, 1929. Previously published serially in the periodical Cosmopolitan.
- The Memoirs of Herbert Hoover by Herbert Hoover. Macmillan, 1951. Published in three volumes: Volume 1: Years of Adventure 1874-1920; Volume 2: The Cabinet and the Presidency 1920-1933; Volume 3: The Great Depression 1929-1941.
- Memoirs: Year of Decisions, by Harry S. Truman. Doubleday, 1955
- Memoirs: Years of Trial and Hope, by Harry S. Truman. Doubleday, 1956
- The Autobiography of Harry S Truman by Harry S. Truman. Posthumously compiled and edited from Truman's manuscript materials by historian Robert Ferrell.
- At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends, by Dwight D. Eisenhower. Doubleday, 1969.
- The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency 1963-1969 by Lyndon Johnson. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1971.
- RN - The Memoirs of Richard Nixon by Richard Nixon. Grosset & Dunlap, 1978.
- A Time To Heal by Gerald Ford. Harper & Row, 1979.
- Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President by Jimmy Carter. Bantam Books, 1982.
- An American Life by Ronald Reagan. Simon & Schuster, 1990.
- My Life by Bill Clinton. Knopf Publishing Group, 2004.
- Decision Points by George W. Bush. Crown Publishers, 2010.
Autobiographies not covering the period of their presidency 
Published diaries and papers 
External links