List of University of Calgary people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
This is a list of people associated with the University of Calgary.
- 1 Alumni
- 2 Faculty
- 3 References
Alumni are listed by their department of study.
- Samuel Weiss, Ph.D.: pioneer in neurobiology.
- Sue Pedersen, M.D.: endocrinologist and world expert on obesity.
- Sanjeev Dutta, M.D.: associate professor at Stanford University.
- Onkar Ghate, M.A., Ph.D.: senior fellow at the Ayn Rand Institute
- Jan Zwicky, B.A.: philosopher, poet.
- Zainab Alwan, Top ranked ping pong player from 2009-2012
- Kristina Groves, Olympic Silver Medalist in speed skating.
- Chris le Bihan Olympic Bronze Medalist
- Christine Nesbitt Olympic Gold Medalist
- Arne Dankers Olympic Silver Medalist
- Greg Vavra, former Canadian Football league quarterback
- Ezra Levant, B.Comm.: conservative writer and commentator.
- Al Duerr, M.B.A.: former Mayor of Calgary
- Dawn Farrell, B. Comm., President & CEO, TransAlta
- Russ Girling, B. Comm., M.B.A.: President & CEO, TransCanada Corporation
- Gary Kovacs, M.B.A. : CEO of Mozilla Corporation
- Ryan Kubic,B. Comm., CFO, Canadian Oil Sands
- Charlie Fischer, B.Sc (engineering), M.B.A.: former president and CEO of Nexen Inc
- Hal Kvisle, M.B.A.: CEO of Talsiman, member of the Trilateral Commission.
- Naheed Nenshi B.Comm: Mayor of Calgary.
- W. Brett Wilson M.B.A.: businessman, philanthropist, member of the Order of Canada.
- John Zaozirny B.Comm.: lawyer, former Minister of Energy for Alberta.
- Theo de Raadt, B.Sc. 1972: founder and leader of OpenBSD and other projects developed with University of California at Berkley and DARPA.
- James Gosling OC, B.Sc. 1977: inventor of the Java programming language.
- Stephen Harper, M.A. 1991: Prime Minister of Canada
- Danielle Smith, B.A.: politician, Leader of Wildrose Alliance
- Bart Demosky, CFO, Suncor Energy
- Chip Wilson B.A.: founder of Lululemon
- Diane Ablonczy, B.Ed.: Reform / Canadian Alliance / Conservative member of parliament.
- Sir Carlyle Glean, B.Ed, MA: Governor-General of Grenada
- Frits Pannekoek, President of Athabasca University
- Pierre Poilievre, B.A.: Conservative member of parliament.
- Diane Ablonczy: LL.B.: Reform / Canadian Alliance / Conservative member of parliament.
- Warren Kinsella: LL.B. : Toronto-based lawyer and political consultant.
- Sergei Scurfield: B.Comm., LL.B.: former member of Canadian Parliament.
- Neil Brown: B.Sc (biology), LL.B.: lawyer, professor of biology, member of Alberta Legislative Assembly.
- Kent Hehr: J.D.: member of Alberta Legislative Assembly.
- Linda Taylor: LL.B.: Executive Director at Office of Administration of Justice, United Nations.
- Gary Botting: J.D.: lawyer, author, scholar, leading authority on Canadian extradition law.
- Nickie Vlavianos: LL.M. : legal scholar, LL.M thesis received Governor General's Gold Medal for best graduate thesis of any faculty in Canada.
- Cecilia Low: LL.M. : Commissioner at Alberta Energy Regulator
- Patricia Rowbotham : Judge at Alberta Court of Appeal.
- Robert Thirsk, B.Sc. 1985: astronaut.
- Gerald Fuller, B.Sc.: professor of chemical engineering at Stanford University
- Christine Nesbitt, Canadian Olympic gold medalist in long track speed skating
- Klaus-Jurgen Bathe, M.Sc.: pioneer of finite element analysis, professor of mechanical engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M. Elizabeth Cannon Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- Hatim Zaghloul, M.Sc., Ph.D. (physics): inventor, co-founder of WiLAN
- Grant Mossop, B.Sc., M.Sc. Director of the Geological Survey of Canada
- Rob Anders, B.A.: Reform / Canadian Alliance / Conservative member of parliament.
- Ian Brodie, M.A., Ph.D.: political scientist and former Chief of Staff to Prime Minister Stephen Harper
- Sharon Carstairs: Member of the Canadian Senate.
- Susanne Craig, B.A.: journalist for Wall Street Journal and New York Times.
- Lee Richardson: former member of the Canadian Parliament, also educated at the University of Oxford .
- Jim Hawkes, (M.Sc. psychology): politician, former member of Parliament, chess master.
- Murray Smith, B.A.: former Minister of Energy for Alberta.
Faculty are listed by their academic department.
- Barry F. Cooper: member of the Calgary School.
- Tom Flanagan: member of the Calgary School, advisor to Preston Manning and Stephen Harper.
- Rainer Knopff: member of the Calgary School.
- Ted Morton: member of the Calgary School, Alberta MLA.
- Károly Bezdek: Canada Research Chair and Director of the Centre for Computational and Discrete Geometry in the Faculty of Science.
- Morley D. Hollenberg: pharmacologist, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada 
- Quentin Pittman: neuroscientist (fever research)
- Eldon Smith: cardiologist, Advisory Board Chair of the Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta
- John L. Wallace: pharmacologist (inflammation research), Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada  & entrepreneur (co-founder of Nicox, founder of Antibe Therapeutics )
- Michael Walsh: molecular biologist, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada http://www.rsc.ca/documents/media/2009%20New%20Fellows%20(Citations).pdf[dead link]
- Samuel Weiss: neuroscientist, Director of the Hotchkiss Brain Institute
- D. George Wyse: cardiologist and pharmacologist, Distinguished Scientist of the Heart Rhythm Society
- Tayler, Theresa (June 23, 2011). "Fiercely real role model; Local fashion model lends her talent to humanitarian work.". Canwest News Service (in English).