List of University of California, Riverside people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of notable alumni and faculty of the University of California, Riverside.
Academia, science, and technology
- Peter Adriaens – Professor of Engineering and Entrepreneurship at the University of Michigan
- Leonard Beeghley – Professor of sociology at University of Florida
- Neil Campbell – American scientist known best for his best-selling Biology textbook
- Mason Gaffney – Professor of Economics and prominent Georgist
- Harmohinder Singh Gill – Plant pathologist who pioneered fungus classification by disc electrophoresis
- Matthew Haughey – Blogger and founder of MetaFilter
- Marigold Linton – Director of American Indian outreach at the University of Kansas
- Gary North – Economist and author
- Arthur Riggs – Director of the Beckman Research Institute and former geneticist with Genentech and father of modern Biotechnology
- Peter Steinberger – Dean of the Faculty Reed College and Robert H. and Blanche Day Ellis Professor of Political Science and Humanities
- Tim White – Professor, integrative biology and research, paleoanthropologist
- Jennifer Wilby – Director of the Centre for Systems Studies, University of Hull
- Charles E. Young – First UCR student body president and former chancellor at the University of California, Los Angeles
Arts, film, and literature
- Earl W. Bascom – inventor, actor, rodeo cowboy, Hall of Fame inductee, international artist and sculptor.
- Steve Breen – 1998 Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist
- Jamie Chung – Actress, TV series The Real World: San Diego and films, such as I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Sorority Row, Grown Ups, The Hangover II. Chung also appeared on MTV's The Real World and Real World/Road Rules Challenge
- Billy Collins – The eleventh U.S. Poet Laureate
- Katherine Fugate – Screenwriter Valentine's Day and creator of Army Wives TV series
- Elizabeth George – Mystery writer
- Barbara Hambly – American novelist and screenwriter
- Ryan Holiday – Author of Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator; director of marketing for American Apparel
- Lisa Kekaula – Lead singer for The Bellrays
- Patricia Ja Lee – Actress known for role as Cassie Chan as the Pink Ranger in the television series Power Rangers: Turbo and Power Rangers in Space
- Nakul Dev Mahajan, Choreographer
- Lindsay Ridgeway – Actress, Boy Meets World
- Charlyne Yi – Actress, comedian, and performance artist (Knocked Up)
- Michael Basinger – Former professional football player for the Green Bay Packers
- Pat Hill – Head football coach of Fresno State
- Butch Johnson – Former professional football player for the Dallas Cowboys and the Denver Broncos
- Joe Kelly – Major League pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals
- John Lowenstein – Former Major League Baseball player
- Brenda Martinez - Track and field athlete
- Gary McCord – Professional golfer, CBS announcer and analyst and won the DII individual golf championship in 1970
- Troy Percival – All time saves leader for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- Dan Runzler – Major League pitcher for the San Francisco Giants
- Marc Rzepczynski – Major League pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals
- Eric Show – Former professional baseball player for the San Diego Padres and Oakland Athletics
- Charles Smith – Major League pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers
- Erasmo Solorzano – Professional MLS football player for the Chivas USA acquired in the 2007 draft.
- Brendan Steele – Professional golfer on the PGA Tour
Business, politics, and law
- Ruben Barrales – Deputy assistant to President Bush and director of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs in the White House and former San Mateo County supervisor
- David S. Cunningham, Jr. – Los Angeles, California, City Council member, 1973–87, a graduate
- Lloyd Levine – Former California State Assemblyman for the 40th District
- Holly J. Mitchell – California State Senator for the 26th District, former California State Assemblymember to the 54th and 47th Districts.
- Ronald Neumann – Former U.S. Ambassador to Algeria
- Rod Pacheco – Former Riverside County, California, District Attorney, and California Assembly member
- Gloria Romero – Former State Senate Majority Whip, former California Assembly member, 49th District
- Stefanie Schaeffer – Defense attorney, in 2006 won Donald Trump's reality show, The Apprentice.
- Jeff Cooper – Father of the "Modern Technique of the Pistol" and firearms guru whom defined the modern scout rifle.
- James Holmes – Suspected gunman in the 2012 Aurora shooting.
- Chris Abani – Professor of creative writing and the recipient of the PEN USA Freedom-to-Write Award, the 2001 Prince Claus Awards, a Lannan Literary Fellowship, a California Book Award, a Hurston-Wright Legacy Award and the Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award.
- Reza Aslan – Assistant Professor of Creative Writing
- John Baez – Professor of mathematics, mathematical physicist
- Bir Bhanu – Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering and Director of the Center for Research in Intelligent Systems
- Alfred M. Boyce - first dean of the College of Agriculture
- Sean Cutler – Plant scientist noted for discovery of pyrabactin
- Mike Davis – Urban theorist and author
- Christopher Chase-Dunn – Sociologist, contributor to world-systems theory
- John Martin Fischer – Professor of philosophy, Vice-President of the Pacific Division of the American Philosophical Association, noted as a primary proponent of semi-compatibilism
- Theodore Garland, Jr. – A founder of the field of evolutionary physiology
- Ivan Hinderaker – Former Chancellor
- Theodore L. Hullar - Former Chancellor
- Perry Link - Chancellorial Chair & Professor of China Studies
- Ronald O. Loveridge – Mayor of Riverside, California
- Robert Nisbet – Conservative sociologist and early Dean of Letters and Science at UCR.
- John W. Olmsted - first chairman of the Humanities division
- Robert Rosenthal – Professor of psychology, former chair of Harvard's psychology department
- George Edgar Slusser – Professor of comparative literature, science fiction expert
- Andrea Smith – Associate Professor in the Department of Media and Cultural Studies, Nobel Peace Prize nominee.
- Harry Scott Smith - entomologist
- Susan Straight – Writer and professor of creative writing and National Book Award finalist
- Karl Taube – Professor of Anthropology, specializing in research into pre-Columbian Mesoamerican cultures
- Bob Toledo – Former UCR football coach; 13th head coach of UCLA
- John V. Tunney – Professor of business law, former United States Senator and member of Congress
- Jonathan H. Turner – Sociologist. One of the last remaining grand theorists in the discipline, and the author of the influential "Structure of Sociological Theory" and "Emergence of Sociological Theory"
- Georgia Warnke – Distinguished Professor of Philosophy and the Director of the Center for Ideas & Society