List of University of New England (Australia) people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2012)|
The University of New England has a number of notable alumni and faculty members.
- Don Aitkin, AO, a professor of politics at Macquarie University (1971-79); the Australian National University (1980-1988); and the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Canberra (1991-2002)
- Max Hartwell (1921-2009), a professor of economic history at the University of New South Wales (1950-56); a reader in economic and social history at the University of Oxford; and a professorial fellow of Nuffield College Oxford (1956-77) (Emeritus 1977). Hartwell was amongst the first intake of students in 1938 at the New England University College and the first of his cohort to become a professor
- Keith Leopold (1920-1999), a professor of German at the University of Queensland (1964). Leopold was amongst the first intake of students in 1938 at the New England University College.
- John Quiggin, an Australian Research Council Federation Fellow in economics and political science
- Douglas Daft, a former global CEO, of Coca-Cola
- Canning Fok Kin-ning, a group managing director of Hutchison Whampoa and Chairman of Hongkong Electric Holdings
- Don Walker, a musician, notably with Cold Chisel
- Natalie Bennett, the leader of the Green Party of England and Wales
- Dean Brown, a former Premier of South Australia
- Barnaby Joyce, the current Member of the Australian Parliament for New England
- John Kerin, a former Member of the Australian Parliament and Federal minister (Primary Industries; Energy; Transport and Communication; Trade and Overseas Development; Treasurer)
- Donald Page, the current Member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly and grandson of Sir Earle Page, the founding Chancellor of UNE
- Tony Windsor, a former Member of of the Australian Parliament for New England
- Jock R. Anderson, a professor and agricultural economist at the World Bank
- Bernie Fraser, a former governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia
Literature, writing and poetry
- Geoffrey Edelsten, an Australian businessman and entrepreneur
- Dame Bridget Ogilvie, a medical scientist
- Suzy Balogh, 2004 Olympic gold medal shooter
- Katherine Calder, 2010 Winter Olympic cross-country skier
- Fletcher Dyson, a member of the Australia national rugby union team, Wallaby #758
- Peter Horton, a member of the Australia national rugby union team, Wallaby #569
- Roy Masters, AM, an Australian sports journalist and former rugby league football coach
- Kathleen Partridge, 1988 Olympic gold medal field hockey; 1992 Olympics, (goal keeper)
- Damian Smith, a member of the Australia national rugby union team, Wallaby #707
- John Cassidy, 2004 – 2008
- James Harris, 2014 – present
- Sir Frank Kitto, AC, KBE, QC, 1970 – 1981
- Pat O'Shane, AM, 1994 – 2003
- Sir Earle Page, KCMG, QC, 1954 – 1960
- Rob Robertson-Cuninghame, 1981 – 1993
- The Hon. Richard Torbay, 2008 – 2013
- The Hon. John Watkins, 2013 – 2014
- Dr Phillip Wright, CMG, 1960 – 1970
- Professor James Barber (2010-2014)
- Sir Zelman Cowen (1966–1970)
- Professor Annabelle Duncan (current)
- Professor Ronald Gates (1977–1985)
- Professor Alec Lazenby (1970–1977)
- Professor Don McNicol (1988–1990)
- Sir Robert Madgwick (1954–1966)
- Professor Ingrid Moses (1997–2006)
- Professor Lawrence W Nicol (1985–1988)
- Professor Alan Pettigrew (2006–2010)
- Professor Robert HT Smith (1990–1994)
- Professor Bruce Thom (1994–1996)
Further information: University of New England faculty
- Hare, Julie; Lane, Beranrd (8 July 2014). "Second UNE chancellor to face corruption watchdog". The Australian. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "New England grazier James Harris named as UNE’s new Chancellor". University of New England. 20 November 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Governance". University of New England.
- "Earle Page, Minister for Health 1949–56". Australia's Prime Ministers. National Archives of Australia. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "UNE Chancellor farewells ‘giant of a man’". Armidale Express. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Richard Torbay, James Harris honoured by UNE". UNE News & Events. University of New England. 6 October 2007. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Lane, Bernard (10 November 2008). "Richard Torbay named new UNE chancellor". The Australian.
- "John Watkins new UNE chancellor". Armidale Express. Fairfax Regional Media. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Oppenheimer, Jillian (2002). "Wright, Phillip Arundell (1889–1970)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- UNE - Governance