List of Welsh principal areas by percentage Welsh language
This is a list of Welsh principal areas by the percentage of those professing some skills in the Welsh language in Wales in the 2011 UK census. The census did not record Welsh speakers living outside Wales.
The Census produced a detailed breakdown of skills as:
- Understands spoken Welsh (no other skills)
- Speaks but does not read or write Welsh
- Speaks and reads but does not write Welsh
- Speaks, reads and writes Welsh
- Other combination of skills; e.g. Can read but not speak.
- No knowledge of Welsh
Those with knowledge of the Welsh language 2011
For the purpose of the first table, all combinations other than "no knowledge of Welsh" have been combined, giving a percentage of people that state they have some communication skills in the Welsh language rather than an ability to speak Welsh. The totals include children whose parents have filled in the Census details on their behalf.
|Population total||% of those who
have some knowledge
|Isle of Anglesey||47821||21930||69751||68.56%|
|Neath Port Talbot||33896||105916||139812||24.24%|
|Rhondda Cynon Taf||44911||189499||234410||19.16%|
|The Vale of Glamorgan||20093||106243||126336||15.90%|
Those with the ability to speak Welsh
The second table includes only those people who stated in the 2011 Census that they are able to speak the Welsh language. It was these statistics that were reported by the press when the first data samples were released in 2012.
- Status of the Irish language
- List of Welsh principal areas by population
- List of Welsh principal areas by area
- "2011 Census: Datacube - Welsh language skills by age and sex , unitary authorities in Wales" (Microsoft Excel). Office for National Statistics. December 11, 2012. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Census 2011: Number of Welsh speakers falling". bbc.co.uk. 11 December 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2014.