List of World Heritage Sites in Japan
Japan accepted the UNESCO World Heritage Convention on 30 June 1992. As of June 2013, seventeen properties have been inscribed on the World Heritage List: thirteen cultural sites and four natural sites. A further ten sites and one site extension have been submitted for future inscription and are currently on the Tentative List as of 2013.
Kamakura's proposed World Heritage site was submitted for nomination in 2013. The World Heritage Committee recommended not inscribing the site because it lacked integrity and Japan duly withdrew the site from consideration.
World Heritage Sites
Location of sites
The Tentative List consists of sites previously nominated, but not yet inscribed.
Previous tentative list sites
List of sites whose nomination was not approved by the World Heritage Committee.
|Name||Image||Location||UNESCO data||Reason(s) inscription was not recommended|
|Kamakura, Home of the Samurai||Kanagawa Prefecture||370 (1992) iii, iv||Site lacked integrity.|
In January 2012 the Japanese Government requested the inscription of the tentative sites of Kamakura and Mount Fuji in 2013. The request was considered by the World Heritage Committee at its 37th session in Phnom Penh, Cambodia in September, 2013. Mount Fuji was successfully inscribed on the List. However ICOMOS recommended not inscribing the Kamakura site, stating that the historical aspects of the site had largely been supplanted by the modern city that grew up around it and thus the site lacked the integrity necessary to be considered. The request for World Heritage status for Kamakura was duly withdrawn by Japan.
The Japanese Government plans to request the inscription in 2014 of The Tomioka Silk Mill and Related Industrial Heritage. The Amami and Ryūkyū Islands (Yanbaru) have been selected for nomination as a joint fifth Natural Site and a study panel is to be formed to consider a sixth candidate site.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to World Heritage Sites in Japan.|
- Cultural Properties of Japan
- National Treasures of Japan
- Cultural Landscapes of Japan
- National Parks of Japan
- UNESCO World Heritage Site
- "Japan". UNESCO. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Decisions Adopted by the World Heritage Committee at its 37TH Session WHC-13/37.COM/20, Decision: 37 COM 8B.28".
- "Evaluations of Nominations of Cultural and Mixed Properties WHC-13/37.COM/INF.8B1, pg. 125".
- "Japan asks for Mt. Fuji, Kamakura to be added to World Heritage List". Mainichi Daily News. 27 January 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Japan prepares to nominate more sites for registration on global list". The Japan Times. 1 January 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Govt to select candidate for World Natural Heritage". Daily Yomiuri. 18 February 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- (English) UNESCO World Heritage Sites - Japan
- (Japanese) World Heritage Sites in Japan
- (Japanese) Database of National Cultural Properties - World Heritage (世界遺産)