Young & Hungry
|Young & Hungry|
|Created by||David Holden|
|Theme music composer||CM French|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original channel||ABC Family|
|Original run||June 25, 2014– present|
Young & Hungry is an American sitcom created by David Holden, and executive produced by Ashley Tisdale. The multi-camera series stars Emily Osment and Jonathan Sadowski, and premiered on ABC Family on June 25, 2014. On June 24, 2014, a first webisode was released.
The series follows wealthy young tech entrepreneur Josh (Jonathan Sadowski), who hires a feisty young food blogger named Gabi (Emily Osment) to be his new personal chef. Desperate to keep her new job, Gabi must prove her skills to Josh and his personal aide Elliot (Rex Lee), who would prefer a celebrity chef for the job instead. The series is based upon the life of San Francisco food blogger Gabi Moskowitz.
- Emily Osment as Gabi Diamond, a feisty young food blogger. She lives in San Francisco with her best friend, Sofia. She loves cooking and she can even figure out what people like to eat. Her mother passed away while she was still a teenager and she has been on her own ever since. Despite not having enough credentials, she applies for the job to be Josh's personal chef. Josh agrees to hire her if she can make a dinner for his girlfriend Caroline that will make her say yes to his marriage proposal. After Caroline breaks up with Josh the same day, he feels distraught and he and Gabi have a one night stand. They decide to keep it a secret, which causes her to have complicated romantic feelings for Josh.
- Jonathan Sadowski as Josh Kaminski, a wealthy young tech entrepreneur and self-made millionaire. He is extremely smart, charming, and sweet and always goes with his gut feeling. He and Gabi have a drunken one night stand, which he decides to keep secret in order to propose to his vain and materialistic girlfriend, Caroline. Despite the fact that he and Gabi slept together, he wants to keep their relationship professional, so he decides to let her stay. Nevertheless, he takes an immediate liking to Gabi, often giving her life advice and looking out for her as a protective figure.
- Rex Lee as Elliot Park, Josh's publicist and right-hand-man. He is very outspoken about the fact that he'd much rather have a professional celebrity chef than Gabi. He would do anything to make Josh happy and cares for him. He is one of the few people who knows about Gabi and Josh's hookup.
- Aimee Carrero as Sofia Rodriguez, an ambitious banking intern and Gabi's best friend and roommate. She is a strong-minded and career-driven young woman. Her job consists of fetching coffee for the clients at her firm. She fully supports Gabi, gives her advice, and often gives her pep talks about keeping her job. She also knows about Gabi's hookup with Josh and unexpectedly becomes friends with Caroline when the two bond over singer Lorde. Her full name is revealed to be Sofia Maria Consuela Rafaella Rodriquez.
- Kym Whitley as Yolanda, Josh's housekeeper. She is very loud-spoken and says what is on her mind. She and Gabi bond instantly and she often sticks up for her. She is sassy with a bit of an attitude and was the first to find out about Gabi and Josh's hookup. She and Elliot constantly bicker.
- Mallory Jansen as Caroline Huntington, Josh's girlfriend turned fiancée. She is very materialistic and vain, caring more about her possessions and physical appearance than Josh. Josh realizes that she is stuck-up and conceited, however he looks past this when she says she loves him. Gabi tries to impress her, but Caroline sees Gabi as unprofessional and untrustworthy. In the episode "Young & Thirty (...and getting married!)", Caroline and Josh call their wedding off.
- Jesse McCartney as Cooper, a computer hacker that Josh hires to work for him and has a romance with Gabi, much to Josh's dislike. He breaks up with Gabi after finding it increasingly difficult to keep their relationship a secret from Josh and moves to China as revealed in the episode "Young & Getting Played". In the episode "Young & Thirty (...and getting married!)", Cooper and Gabi reunite, right before Josh was about to reveal his true feelings for Gabi.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||Andy Cadiff||David Holden||June 25, 2014||1001||1.08|
|Gabi Diamond is a young ambitious food blogger, who interviews for Josh Kaminski, a wealthy young tech entrepreneur, to be his new chef. Gabi cooks a trial dinner for Josh who is proposing to his girlfriend Caroline. When Caroline breaks up with Josh over the phone, Gabi comforts Josh. She joins him for dinner, and after a couple drinks, they wake up after sleeping with each other. Gabi rushes out, worrying that she ruined her chances of being a professional chef. When she returns the next day, Yolanda and Elliot confront her, and is hired as Josh's chef.|
|2||"Young & Ringless"||Phill Lewis||David Holden||July 2, 2014||1002||0.77|
|Gabi begins her first official day as Josh's chef and wants to leave the memory of her one-night stand with Josh behind her. Caroline accuses Gabi of stealing her engagement ring. Gabi must prepare an elaborate dinner for Josh's Chinese investors. When Caroline forces Josh to get the security footage from his building manager, both Josh and Gabi panic, knowing that their one-night stand will be revealed to Caroline. Elliot also panics, because it was him who took the ring, just to try it on, and it got stuck. Josh tries to edit the tape, however Caroline demands to watch it. Josh then asks Caroline if she actually loves him, and if she does then she should trust him. She then gives up and believes him. Gabi cooks dinner for the Chinese investors, Josh and Caroline. Gabi ends up cooking spaghetti and meatballs, and although Caroline is disgusted, Josh and the Chinese investors are pleased. In the end, Josh, Yolanda, Elliot and Gabi watch the security footage and it is revealed to them that Elliot tried on the ring.|
|3||"Young & Lesbian"||Arlene Sanford||Jenny Lee||July 9, 2014||1004||0.91|
|Elliot sets up Gabi on a date with Logan Rawlings (Ashley Tisdale), a magazine editor who is Josh's only chance of making a coveted "30 Under 30" list of a magazine. Gabi then tells Logan that she is not a lesbian but will help her get back together with her chef girlfriend Judy Green (Jessica Lowndes), in exchange for getting Josh on the list.|
|4||"Young & Pregnant"||Robbie Countryman||Andrea Abbate||July 16, 2014||1003||0.90|
|Gabi fears that she may be pregnant from her one-night stand with Josh. Yolanda finds the box from Gabi's pregnancy test and assumes that Caroline is pregnant. Elliot and Yolanda both make attempt to tell Josh the news.|
|5||"Young & Younger"||Andy Cadiff||Caryn Lucas||July 23, 2014||1005||0.76|
|Gabi starts to date a guy named Cam (Nick Roux), however she later discovers that he is a minor. Josh also sees him hugging a woman who turns out to be Cam's mother Beverly (Virginia Williams). Josh finds out that Cam is 17 and tries to stop Gabi from having sex with him. Gabi pretends that she had sex with Cam so that Josh doesn't tell her "I told you so." However when Josh reveals that he knows that Cam is 17, Gabi reveals that she broke up with Cam. Elliot wants to be invited to Josh's party with Josh's other tech programmer friends.|
|6||"Young & Punchy"||Andy Cadiff||Michael Dow & Devon Kelly||July 30, 2014||1006||0.93|
|Josh hires Cooper (Jesse McCartney), a computer hacker to work for him. But when Cooper puts his romantic moves on Gabi, Josh's jealous feelings start to show and he tells Gabi that she can't date Cooper. However, they decide to date in secret anyway. Josh has a new bathtub put in for Caroline, with her to be the first one to use it. However, Elliot and Yolanda schemes to use it for themselves.|
|7||"Young & Secret"||Andy Cadiff||Ali Schouten & Ryan Shankel||August 6, 2014||1007||0.85|
|Gabi tries to keep her relationship with Cooper a secret from Josh. To keep Josh from from finding out, Gabi says that Cooper and Sofia are dating. Sofia tries to get tickets to a Lorde concert and becomes fast friends with Caroline to go to the concert, along with going with Gabi's charade of her "dating" Cooper. Elliot and Yolanda go on a juice only diet, which does not work in their favor.|
|8||"Young & Car-less"||Phill Lewis||Lucas Brown Eyes||August 13, 2014||1008||0.89|
|When Gabi's car breaks down, Josh decides to replace it for her. When Gabi finds out, she is furious and reveals that her car was the last gift her mother gave to her before she passed away. Feeling terrible for what he did, he tries to buy it back from the mechanic (James Earl) he sold it to—who wants to sell it back for an unreasonable price. Gabi, Sofia, Yolanda, Josh, and Elliot then steal the car and it unexpectedly dies during the process. Gabi has a funeral for her beloved car which everyone attends, and expresses the fact that she is lucky to have such amazing friends and that her mother is watching over her.|
|9||"Young & Getting Played"||Anthony Rich||Ali Schouten & Ryan Shankel||August 20, 2014||1009||0.85|
|Yolanda's son Derek (Maestro Harrell) visits after breaking up with his long time girlfriend Cheryl (Sasha Compère), and is set up by Yolanda with Sophia, skipping right over Gabi. However, Derek is still heart broken over Cheryl with Gabi coming up with a plan to upset Yolanda by dating Derek and to have Yolanda call Cheryl to get back with him. A pipe bursts in Caroline's apartment, forcing her to move all of her designer clothes into Josh's room, with Josh coming to the realization that Caroline is a hoarder.|
|10||"Young & Thirty (...and getting married!)"||Phill Lewis||David Holden||August 27, 2014||1010||1.02|
|Josh and Caroline's wedding is pushed further ahead than planned, and everyone freaks out for different reasons. Caroline forgets Josh's birthday, and Gabi decides to let Caroline take credit for her special gift for Josh- a replica of his childhood blanket. Josh is very moved by this gift, and is sure that Caroline is who he wants to marry. Eventually, Elliot breaks down and reveals to Josh that Gabi is the one who made the blanket, and that Caroline forgot his birthday. When Josh confronts Caroline, they both realize that they are having doubts about their relationship, and decide to call the wedding off. After some advice from Yolanda, Josh decides to go see Gabi and confess his feelings. By the time Josh makes it to Gabi's apartment, Cooper who is back from China has already won Gabi over with his own sentimental gift, leaving Josh out in the rain alone.|
|No.||Title||Original streaming date|
|1||"Get to Know Gabi"||June 24, 2014|
|Food blogger Gabi Moskowitz describes how San Francisco is a town where people think and eat food constantly. She also presents to us her boyfriend that helps her with everything and supports her around food.|
|2||"Food Bomb"||June 26, 2014|
|Gabi Moskowitz and the cast of Young & Hungry prepare a surprise meal & "food bomb" for the show's writers and producers. They make spaghetti with olive oil, garlic and bread crumbs.|
|3||"Gabi's No Fail Grilled Cheese"||July 3, 2014|
|Gabi Moskowitz and Emily Osment, prepare Gabi's No Fail Grilled Cheese.|
|4||"Hot & Hungry"||July 9, 2014|
|Gabi Moskowitz cooks up her signature hot sauce with Jonathan Sadowski, Aimee Carrero, and Young & Hungry executive producer Ashley Tisdale.|
|5||"Melted Chocolate Madness"||July 19, 2014|
|Gabi Moskowitz makes chocolate sweets with Rex Lee.|
|6||"Gabi's Pizza Throw Down"||July 23, 2014|
|Chef Gabi Moskowitz and Kym Whitley (Yolanda) team up with two very special guests for a pizza throw down!|
|7||"Easy Breezy Brunch with Aimee Carrero"||July 31, 2014|
|Chef Gabi Moskowitz and Aimee Carrero (Sofia) team up to create an easy breezy brunch you can make at home!|
|8||"$50 Pantry with Jonathan Sadowski"||August 6, 2014|
|Chef Gabi Moskowitz shows Jonathan Sadowski (Josh) all of the key ingredients you should keep in your pantry, for less than $50 total!|
|9||"Gabi's Grill"||August 13, 2014|
|Chef Gabi Moskowitz and Young & Hungry's Aimee Carrero (Sofia) share delicious and easy to make grilling recipes!|
Development and production
On August 23, 2013, ABC Family placed a pilot order. The pilot was written by David Holden and directed by Andy Cadiff. Ashley Tisdale, Eric Tannenbaum, Kim Tannenbaum, and Jessica Rhoades serve as executive producers.
Casting announcements began in September 2013, with Emily Osment first cast in the lead role of Gabi Diamond, a blunt and klutzy food blogger who not only has a true gift for cooking, but also the ability to figure out what it is people want to eat. Aimee Carrero was the next actor cast in the series regular role of Sofia Rodriguez, Gabi's best friend and an ambitious banking intern. Shortly after, Jonathan Sadowski and Rex Lee were cast in the series, with Sadowski playing the lead role of Josh Kaminski, a young tech entrepreneur who hires Gabi as his personal chef; and Lee cast as Elliot Park, Josh's high-strung personal aide and right-hand-man. Kym Whitley was the last actor cast in the series regular role of Yolanda, Josh's housekeeper.
Awards and nominations
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Show||Young & Hungry||Nominated|
|Choice Summer TV Star: Female||Emily Osment||Nominated|
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 10, 2014). "ABC Family Announces Summer Premiere Dates for 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Switched at Birth' 'Chasing Life', 'Mystery Girls' & 'Young & Hungry'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 6, 2014). "ABC Family Picks Up Comedy Pilots Starring Tori Spelling, Jennie Garth & Emily Osment To Series". Deadline.com. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "Smith: Our Gabi inspires a TV show". The Press Democrat. January 8, 2014. Retrieved October 3, 2014.
- "Wednesday Cable Ratings: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Wins Night, World Cup Soccer, ‘Catfish’, ‘Suits’, ‘Young & Hungry’ & More - Ratings". TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com. June 26, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Wednesday Cable Ratings: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Wins Night + ‘Catfish’, ‘Big Smo’, ‘Pardon the Interruption’ & More - Ratings". TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com. July 3, 2014. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Wednesday Cable Ratings: World Cup Soccer Wins Night, ‘Duck Dynasty’, ‘Catfish’, ‘Suits’, ‘The Bridge’, ‘Graceland’ & More - Ratings". TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com. July 10, 2014. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- "Wednesday Cable Ratings: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Tops Night + ‘Teen Mom’, ‘ESPY Awards’, ‘Suits’ & More - Ratings". TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com. July 17, 2014. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 24, 2014). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Teen Mom 2' Wins Night, 'Suits', 'Bring It', 'Graceland', 'The Bridge' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 31, 2014). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Sharknado 2' Tops Night + 'Duck Dynasty', 'Teen Mom II' 'Suits' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 21, 2014). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Teen Mom 2' & Little League World Series Win Night, 'Suits', 'Franklin & Bash', 'Bring It!', 'The Bridge' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 28, 2014). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Teen Mom 2' Leads Night + 'American Pickers', 'The Daily Show', 'American Restoration' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 1: Get to Know Gabi". YouTube. June 24, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 2: Food Bomb". YouTube. June 26, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 3: Gabi's No Fail Grilled Cheese". YouTube. July 3, 2014. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 4: Hot & Hungry". YouTube. July 9, 2014. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 5: Melted Chocolate Madness". YouTube. July 19, 2014. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 6: Gabi's Pizza Throw Down". YouTube. July 23, 2014. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 5: Melted Chocolate Madness". YouTube. July 19, 2014. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 8: $50 Pantry with Jonathan Sadowski". YouTube. August 6, 2014. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Young & Foodie - Episode 9:Gabi's Grill". YouTube. August 13, 2014. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- "ABC Family Greenlights Production of Three New Comedy Pilots". The Futon Critic. August 23, 2013. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "Twitter / EmilyOsment: And a very nice first day on". Twitter.com. April 21, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- Bucksbaum, Sydney (September 25, 2013). "Emily Osment cast as lead in new ABC Family comedy pilot 'Young & Hungry'". Zap2it.com. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "Development Update: Friday, October 18". The Futon Critic. October 18, 2013. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 22, 2013). "Cynthia Watros Joins MTV Pilot ‘Finding Carter’, Rex Lee & Jonathan Sadowski Cast In ABC Family’s ‘Young & Hungry’". Deadline.com. Retrieved January 7, 2014.