List of active Indian military aircraft
List of active Indian military aircraft is a list of military aircraft currently in service with the Indian Armed Forces. Figures are sourced from Flight International (Flightglobal.com). For a list of Previous Aircraft used by the Indian Military see List of historical aircraft of the Indian Air Force.
Indian Air Force
|Beriev A-50 Phalcon|| Israel
Russia [Note 1]
|AEW&C||A-50E/I||3||2 more on order.|
|EMB-145 AEWCS|| India
|AEW&C||3 Under Development by DRDO.|
|Sukhoi Su-30MKI|| Russia
|Air Superiority Fighter||Su-30MKI||170||Total 272 on order. 3 have been lost to crashes.|
|Mikoyan MiG-29||Soviet Union||Air Superiority Fighter||MiG-29 (9.12B)
|To be Upgraded to MiG-29UPG Standard. 15 lost to crashes between 1994 and 2013.|
|Dassault Mirage 2000||France||Multirole Fighter Aircraft||M2000H
|49||59 Mirage 2000's including 10 trainers were acquired.  10 aircraft including 3 trainers have been lost to crashes.  The current fleet of 49 will be upgraded to Mirage 2000-5 Mk2 standard between 2011 and 2020. |
|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21|| Soviet Union
|264||To be phased out by 2019. Mig-21 FL is to be phased out on 11 December 2013.|
|HAL Tejas||India||Fighter Aircraft||Mark I
|8||1 delivered with 79 on order. Not yet in operational service.|
|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-27 Bahadur||Soviet Union||Ground-Attack Aircraft||MiG-27ML||90||To be phased out by 2025. One lost on 12 February 2013.|
|SEPECAT Jaguar|| France
|149||Undergoing upgrades to prolong service life. 10 more on order.|
|Gulfstream III||United States||Reconnaissance||IV SRA-4||3|
|Ilyushin Il-78 MKI||Russia [Note 2]||Tanker Aircraft||IL-78MKI||6|
|C-17 Globemaster||United States||Transport Aircraft||Globemaster III||4||4 delivered, 6 more on order.|
|Ilyushin Il-76 Candid||Soviet Union||Transport Aircraft||Il-76MD||17|
|C-130J Super Hercules||United States||Transport Aircraft||C-130J||6||6 more on order.|
|Antonov An-32 Cline||Soviet Union||Transport Aircraft||An-32||109||Used to transport a maximum of up to 42 fully equipped troops or light cargo. Currently being upgraded in Ukraine to prolong service life.|
|Hawker Siddeley HS 748|| United Kingdom
|Airliner (Passenger)||HS 748-100||59||To be replaced under a $2.4 billion program.|
|Boeing 737||United States||Airliner (Passenger)||B 737-200||4||One 737-200 ADV and Three 737-700 BBJ1 used for VIP transport|
|Saras||India||Utility Transport||15 on Order.|
|Dornier Do 228|| Germany
|Utility Transport||Do 228-201||40|
|IAI Astra 1125||Israel||VIP Transport||1125 Astra||2|
|BAE Hawk|| United Kingdom
|Trainer Aircraft||Hawk 132||70||53 more on order.|
|HAL HJT-16 Kiran||India||Trainer Aircraft||HJT-16
|HAL HJT-36 Sitara||India||Trainer Aircraft||16 on order.|
|Pilatus PC-7||Switzerland||Trainer Aircraft||Mk||18||63 more to be delivered, with a possible order for another 37, and a follow up order of an additional 100.|
|HAL HPT-32 Deepak||India||Trainer Aircraft||Current fleet of around 70 aircraft grounded. Being replaced by Pilatus PC-7 trainer aircraft, of which 75 have been ordered.|
|HAL Rudra||India||Attack Helicopter||ALH-WSI||4||Total of 16 on order.|
|HAL Light Combat Helicopter||India||Attack helicopter||LCH||2||65 on order.|
|Mil Mi-35 Hind-E||Soviet Union||Attack Helicopter||Mi-35||27||Will be replaced by 22 Boeing AH-64 Apache attack helicopters.|
|Soviet Union||Transport Helicopter||Mi-8
|150||103 More Mi-17V5 on order. 1 Mi-17V5 crashed on 25-6-2013|
|Mil Mi-26 Halo||Soviet Union||Transport Helicopter||Mi-26||3||Will be complemented by Boeing CH-47 Chinook of which 15 is being ordered.|
|AgustaWestland AW101||United Kingdom||Transport Helicopter||AW101||3||9 more on order, Deal on hold as of February 2013 due to corruption charges.|
|HAL Dhruv||India||Utility Helicopter||Dhruv||47||65 more on order.|
|HAL Cheetah|| France
|Utility Helicopter||SA 315B
|HAL Chetak|| France
Army Aviation Corps (India)
|HAL Rudra||India||Attack Helicopter||ALH-WSI||20||Total of 60 on order, first 20 to be delivered by 2013.|
|HAL Light Combat Helicopter||India||Attack helicopter||LCH||114 on order.|
|HAL Dhruv||India||Utility helicopter||45||179 on order.|
|HAL Lancer|| France
|Light Attack helicopter||12||Developed from HAL Cheetah.|
|HAL Chetak|| France
|Utility helicopter||SA 316B Chetak||60||To be replaced.|
|HAL Cheetah|| France
|Utility helicopter||SA 315B Cheetah
|48||To be replaced. 22 HAL Cheetal on order|
|Mi-17V Hip||Soviet Union||Transport Helicopter||6|
Indian Coast Guard
|HAL Dhruv||India||Utility helicopter||9|
|HAL Chetak|| India
|Dornier Do 228|| India
Search & Rescue
|Do 228-101||38||By 31 July 2013|
Note: The Indian Armed Forces operate a number of UAVs/UCAVs split between the three service branches.
|IAI Harpy||Israel||Unmanned combat air vehicle||A small UCAV that homes into enemy radar emissions - destroying both itself and the enemy radar. In service with Indian Air Force.|
|IAI Harop||Israel||Unmanned combat air vehicle||10||A small UCAV that homes into enemy radar emissions - destroying both itself and the enemy radar. In service with Indian Air Force.|
|IAI Heron||Israel||Unmanned aerial vehicle||Heron I
|50+||In service with Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.|
|DRDO Lakshya||India||Target drone||39||A small target drone in service with the Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.|
|DRDO Nishant||India||Unmanned aerial vehicle||12+||In service with the Indian Army.|
|IAI Searcher||Israel||Unmanned aerial vehicle||Searcher II
|100+||In service with the Indian Army.|
- List of historical aircraft of the Indian Air Force
- Currently active military equipment by country
- Military of India
- Indian Air Force
- Indian Naval Air Arm
- Future of the Indian Air Force
- "World Air Forces 2013". Flightglobal.com
- Su-30MKI Delivery To Indian Air Force Slips
- Air Forces Monthly. Stamford, Lincolnshire, England: Key Publishing Ltd. April 2013. p. 31.
- "Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for India | Defense | RIA Novosti". En.rian.ru. 4 February 2010. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- "ASN Aviation Safety Database results".
- "First upgraded Mirage fighter for IAF undergoes flight test". brahmand.com. 27 October 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Fighters - Mirage to Rafale". SP's Aviation. February 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "ASN Aviation Safety Database results". aviation-safety.net. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "India approves $2.4 billion French Mirage jet upgrade". Dawn. 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- MiG-21bis likely to serve IAF until 2019
- India receives second C-17 - Flightglobal.com, 22 July 2013
- "Boeing delivers third C-17 Globemaster military transport aircraft to Indian Air Force". The Economic Times. 23 August 2013. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "India clears $2.4 billion plan to buy cargo planes for Air Force". Daily News & Analysis. 24 July 2012. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "Boeing 737". Bharat Rakshak. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "IAF - Our strength". Indian Air Force. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Indian Navy receives first Hawk Jet Trainer". The Hindu Business Line. 23 September 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Indian Air Force Pilatus PC-7 MkII Basic Flight Training started Monday". IDRW. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Pilatus joins IAF pilot training squad
- "IAF's first Swiss Pilatus trainer aircraft arrives in India". The Economic Times. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Pilatus PC-7 Mk-II training aircraft enters in service with the Indian Air Force". June 9, 2013.
- Nothing But The Very Ancient For India - Strategypage.com, 15 March 2013
- "Indian military aviation 2012 OrBat". Milaviapress.com. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- Navy receives first of P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft
- "Navy Inducts Boeing Poseidon-8I to Tighten Coastal Security". May 16, 2013.
- "Boeing Delivers 2nd P-8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) to Indian Navy". November 15, 2013.
- "Indian Navy Commissions First Advanced Light Helicopter (Dhruv) Squadron". November 12, 2013.
- "Army gets attack helicopters as India eyes China threat". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- Upgraded HAL Cheetal Helicopters for Indian Army - Armedforces-International.com, 19 December 2012
- "Coastguard inducts fourth Dornier for coastal surveillance". PTI. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Hindustan Aeronautics Limited delivers 'Lakshya-1' aircraft to Bharat Dynamics Limited". Indian Express. 27 July 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- International Institute for Strategic Studies; Hackett, James (ed.) (3 February 2010). The Military Balance 2010. London: Routledge. ISBN 1857435575.