List of admission tests to colleges and universities
This is a list of standardized tests that students may need to take for admissions to various Universities and Colleges. Tests of language proficiency are excluded here.
Only tests not included within a certain secondary schooling curriculum are listed. Thus, those tests initially focused on secondary-school-leaving, e.g., GCE A-Levels in the UK, or French Baccalaureate, are not listed here, although they function as the de facto admission tests in those countries (see list of secondary school leaving certificates).
- 1 Undergraduate
- 1.1 Australia
- 1.2 Brazil
- 1.3 Chile
- 1.4 China
- 1.5 Colombia
- 1.6 Cuba
- 1.7 France
- 1.8 Germany
- 1.9 Hong Kong
- 1.10 Hungary
- 1.11 India
- 1.12 Indonesia
- 1.13 Israel
- 1.14 Iran
- 1.15 Ireland
- 1.16 Japan
- 1.17 Malaysia
- 1.18 Pakistan
- 1.19 Poland
- 1.20 Russia
- 1.21 Saudi Arabia
- 1.22 Singapore
- 1.23 Sweden
- 1.24 South Korea
- 1.25 Taiwan (Republic of China)
- 1.26 Turkey
- 1.27 Ukraine
- 1.28 United Kingdom
- 1.29 United States (and Canada)
- 1.30 Vietnam
- 2 Postgraduate/Professional schools
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
- STAT – Special Tertiary Admissions Test, aptitude test for non-school leavers
- UMAT – Undergraduate Medical Admissions Test, required for undergraduate entry to many Australian and New Zealand undergraduate-entry medical and dental schools
- GAMSAT – Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test, required for graduate entry to many Australian graduate-entry medical and dental schools
- PQA – Personal Qualities Assessment, required for entry into health sciences, including undergraduate Medicine, for a growing number of Australian universities
- GAT – General Achievement Test ( VCE Students - Victorian Certificate of Education )
- HSC – Higher School Certificate
- Vestibular – Single University entrance exam in Brazil, each University may have its own vestibular.
- ENEM – National High School Exam. Since 2009 the score is used to enter in most universities, after this many universities extinguished their vestibulars.
- National College Entrance Examination – Standard means of entry to Chinese universities
- AST – Ameson Scholastic Test, originally designed for students who come from China, and are applying for the University of Cambridge of the UK, now used by a handful of UK and Australian universities.
- SABER 11 Exam – Test for all undergraduate students that want to apply to a university in Colombian territory.
- Prueba de Ingreso a la Universidad – Set of exams in different subject matters for all students who want to enter any university in Cuba.
- Baccalauréat (or le bac) – Test for all undergraduate students who are looking to enter a university in France.
- Abitur – Test for German students who want to apply to a university in Germany.
Admission processes differs in institutes. For secondary school students applying degree-level programme provided by University Grants Committee(UGC)-funded institutes, they can only apply through Joint University Programmes Admissions System(JUPAS), which uses Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination(HKALE) and Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education(HKDSE) as benchmark agency until academic year 2011/12. and Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education since 2011/12.
JUPAS is not used in most non-UGC/non-degree level programmes, even these institutes still uses the examination results that JUPAS uses as benchmark agency.
- Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (Last year of exam in 2011, as EAS Subsystem of JUPAS until 2011)
- Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (Last year of exam in 2013, as JUPAS benchmark until 20/12 admission)
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (The new qualification to replace the two qualifications above, starts since 2011/12)
From 2016 all students who would like to apply for a university in Hungary have to prove their language skills. They are required to pass a nationally accredited language exam at B2 CEFR level.
- The European Language Certificates (language exam)
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics (language exam)
Admission procedures and entry tests vary widely across states and universities/institutes. Usually, admission to a university in a state is based upon the performance of the candidates in the state-wide Higher Secondary examinations. These are usually given after completion of the twelfth standard/grade, for example the HSC examinations of Maharashtra. Some states also have special entrance examinations for entry into engineering and medical programs, for example the Common Entrance Test in Karnataka, or the Common Entrance Test in Delhi. Admission into federally established institutes like the Central Universities, the IITs, and the NITs is usually based on a combination of performance in nationwide exams such as the JEE-MAINS and the state-level Higher Secondary examinations. Admission into federally established institutes like the NISER and the CBS is based on performance in the nationwide exam - the NEST. Admission to the National Law Universities is based on a national level entry examination conducted annually by the CLAT organising comolklkk.
- Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) – Standard means of entry to the National Law Universities across India.
- JEE-MAINS (previously AIEEE) – Standard means of entry to the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) across India with other reputed private as well as government universities including Delhi College of Engineering(DCE) and Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT).
- All India Pre Medical Test – Standard test for admission to 15% of Central Government quota merit seats in Government Medical Colleges in India.
- BITSAT – Standard means of entry to BITS Pilani institutes across the country.
- NEST – Standard exams for entry to the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) and the Center for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CBS).
- JEE-ADVANCED (previously IIT-JEE) – Standard exams for entry to the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
- ALIGARH MUSLIM UNIVERSITY – Standard exams for entry to the ALIGARH MUSLIM UNIVERSITY (A.M.U.)
- Manipal University, VIT, SRM, Jain University, KIIT Entrance Examinations- for entry into these reputed private Deemed Universities
- GGSIPU Conducts CET to admission to various programes in country's capital(DELHI) in various government and private engineering college.
- CAT, XAT, MAT, NMAT, AMCAT (Amity University), or SNAP – Standard exams for entry to the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and other business schools
- National Eligibility and Entrance Test NEET-UG, for entry in to undergraduate medical education MBBS, The test is conducted at all India level.
- PAT (Planning Admission Test), Arvindbhai Patel Institute of Environmental Design (APIED), for entry into Masters of Urban Planning, Vallabh Vidyanagar, ANAND
- Common entrance exam of design
- BCECE – Test for admissions into medical, engineering and pharmacy course in the Bihar.
BCECE Board is the only institute of its kind in the Country that care about proxy students. At the examination centre candidates have to proceed through three thorough steps to avoid proxy.
- MP-PET – Test for admissions into medical, engineering and pharmacy course in the M.P.
Board is the only institute of its kind in the Country that organizes competitive tests all over India for entrance to various professional courses every year on a very large scale.
- CG-PET - Test for admissions into Engineering Graduate Course in C.G.
- CG-PMT - Test for admissions into Medical Course in C.G.
- RPET – Test for admissions into engineering colleges (Mostly government sponsored and some affiliated private) in Rajasthan.
- RPMT – Test for admissions into medical and pharmacy course in Rajasthan.
- GUJCET – Test for admissions into medical, engineering and pharmacy course in the state.
- GCET – Test for admissions into MCA and MBA programs in the state.
- PAT – Test for admissions into Masters in Urban Planning programs at BCHS, APIED V.V. Nagar.
- CEE – Test for admissions into engineering colleges like Assam Engineering College( at Guwahati ), Jorhat Engineering College, Jorhat Institute of Science and Technology( at Jorhat), Bineswar Brahma Engineering College( at Kokrajhar), Girijananda Choudhury Institute of Management and Technology( at Guwahati & Tezpur ), Royal Institute of Technology( at Guwahati ), NITS (at Mirza, Guwahati)and medical colleges like Guwahati Medical College & Hospital( at Guwahati ), Assam Medcal College & Hospital( at Dibrughar), Silchar Medical College & Hospital(at Silchar), Jorhat Medical College & Hospital(at Jorhat), Fakruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College & Hospital( at Barpeta) in the state of Assam.
- CEE[disambiguation needed] – Standard means of entry to Delhi Technological University(DTU, formerly Delhi College of Engineering - DCE) and Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT).
Although from 2010, the CEE has been cancelled and instead both of the above listed institutes will conduct counselling and admissions via the score in AIEEE exam.
- CET – Standard means of entry to State government engineering college (CBPGEC, AIT, GBPGEC) and affiliated self-financed college. GGSIPU, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.
- Common Entrance Test, the Karnataka common entrance test (KCET) – Test for admission into public and private medical and engineering colleges.
- Comed-K, conducted by the Consortium of medical and engineering colleges of Karnataka - for admission into private engineering and medical colleges.
- MHT-CET, the Maharashtra Health sciences & Technical- Common Entrance test – Test for admission into medical and engineering schools.
- Orissa JEE, The Orissa Joint Entrance Examination – Test for admission into medical, engineering management schools
- SEE-UPTU, previously Asia's biggest university but now split into 2 separate universities namely Gautam Buddha Technical University and Mahamaya Technical University. It conducts examination for engineering, architecture, pharmacy and management courses.
- TNPCEE – Test for undergraduate admissions in the select universities in the state of Tamil Nadu.This test has been removed from admission requirements from the academic year 2007–08 following approval from the then president Dr. APJ Abdulkalam
Single Entrance Examination for Medical Entrance
The Medical Council of India has determined that there will be only one common entrance test each for over 30,000 MBBS seats and over 11,000 MD seats in all government and medical colleges in the country. Earlier (till this year), students wanting to take up courses in medicine had to appear in at least five to six MBBS and MD entrance tests for various colleges and worry about problems like clash of exam dates as well as travel to distant places for counselling for allotment of seats.
- SBMPTN – A competitive exam. Test for undergraduate admissions in Public Universities in Indonesia. Students may choose one out of 3 exams: Science, Social, or Mixed. Each major in each university falls into Science or Social category.
Conducted Jointly by Some Universities
- UMB – Ujian Masuk Bersama - Test for undergraduate admissions in some state and private colleges
- SBM-PTAIN - Test for entering Public Islamic Universities in Indonesia.
- SMUP Unpad – Test for undergraduate admissions in Universitas Padjadjaran, Bandung, Indonesia
- Gadjah Mada University – Faculty of International Medicine entrance exam.
- SIMAK UI – University of Indonesia entrance exam.
- USM Unsri - The admission test conducted by Universitas Sriwijaya.
- Psychometric Entrance Test (colloquially "The Psychometry") – Required for undergraduate entry to most universities in Israel
- Iranian University Entrance Exam (Konkoor/Concours) – Standard means of entry to universities in Iran.
- Health Professions Admissions Test (HPAT) – Undergraduate Medical Admissions Test, required for undergraduate entry to Irish Medical Schools
- National Center Test for University Admissions
- Examination for Japanese University Admission – Required for entry by foreigners into many Japanese Universities
- Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia, also known as Malaysia Certificate of Education.
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia, also known as Malaysia Higher School Certificate.
- NAT - Category I – National Aptitude Test, for admission in Engineering, Computer Science, Medical and Arts in most universities of Pakistan
Also needs MCAT medical colleges Admission Test for getting admission in any medical college and ECAT for getting Admission in any Engineering College University. www.nts.org.pk
- GAT - Category I – Graduate Assessment Test', for admission in some universities, it is administered by National Testing Services (NTS)
- ECAT[disambiguation needed] – for admission in University of Engineering and Technology Lahore(UET)
Universities and other institutions of higher education formerly ran their own entrance exams. Since the introduction of the "new matura" in 2005, and in particular the marking of that exam by independent examiners rather than by teachers at students' own schools, the matura now serves as the admission test for Polish students. See Polish matura.
- Unified State Exam (Russian: Единый государственный экзамен, ЕГЭ, tr. Yediniy gosudarstvenniy ekzamen, EGE) – every student must pass after graduation from school to enter a university or a professional college. Since 2009, EGE is the only form of graduation examinations in schools and the main form of preliminary examinations in universities.
- Unified Republic Exam  (Russian: Единый республиканский экзамен, ЕРЭ, tr. Yediniy respublikanskiy ekzamen, ERE; Tatar: Бердәм Республика Имтиханы, БРИ, Berdäm Respublika Imtixanı, BRI) – students which graduate in the Republic of Tatarstan can choose to pass the ERE/BRI in the Tatar language. The test is not obligatory and accepted as an entry exam only by the Tatarstan universities, especially for the Tatar language faculties.
- Qudurat or Qiyas – by The National Center for Assessment in Higher Education.
- Högskoleprovet – the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test
- PIL – Test and interview, used by the Karolinska Institute for admission to some of its study programmes
- College Scholastic Ability Test – Standard means of entry to South Korean universities and colleges
Taiwan (Republic of China)
- General Scholastic Ability Test – Standard means of entry to Taiwanese universities and colleges held in January. It consists of five subjects, namely Chinese, English, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science. All examinees should take the whole set of test.
- Department Required Test – Standard means of entry to Taiwanese universities and colleges held in July. It consists of ten subjects, namely Chinese, English, Mathematics(A and B), History, Geography, Citizen and Society, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Examinees can take the tests that are required to meet to university's standard.
- YGS – Standard means of entry to Turkish universities. (1st step)
- LYS – Standard means of entry to Turkish universities. (2nd step)
- YÖS – The Examination for Foreign Students for Higher Education Programs in Turkey
- External Independent Evaluation Test – Test for all undergraduate students who are looking to enter a university in Ukraine.
- BMAT – Biomedical Admissions Test
- ELAT – English Literature Admissions Test
- GAMSAT - Graduate Medical School Admissions Test
- HAT – History Aptitude Test
- HPAT - Health Professions Admissions Test, currently only in use for admission into Medicine in the University of Ulster.
- LNAT – National Admissions Test for Law
- STEP – Sixth Term Examination Paper, only the subjects of Mathematics(I, II, III) are available after 2003
- UKCAT – United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test
- Modern and Medieval Languages Test, provided and required by the Faculty of Modern & Medieval Languages of the University of Cambridge
- Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA Cambridge)
- Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA Oxford), formerly known as the PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) Admissions Test
- Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA UCL)
- BTEC Extended Diploma – The highest level of the BTEC structure and is taken by people aged 16 or over (Equal to A-Level).
United States (and Canada)
- SAT – formerly Scholastic Aptitude Test
- ACT – formerly American College Testing Program or American College Test
- THEA – Texas Higher Education Assessment
- GED – High School Diploma Equivalent
- PERT – Replaced Accuplacer as the standard college placement test in Florida
- CAEL – Canadian Academic English Language Assessment
- TSĐH-CĐ – Tuyển Sinh Đại Học - Cao Đẳng
- GAMSAT – Graduate Australian Medical Schools Admissions Test
- LSAT – Law School Admission Test (some Juris Doctor programs)
- IELTS (academic) – International English Language Test (for international students)
- ANPEC – Admission test for Postgraduate studies in Economics
- ANPAD – Admission test for Postgraduate studies in Business Administration
- POSCOMP - Admission test for Postgraduate studies in Computer Science
- TUS – Graduate Medical Schools Admissions Test
- ALES – Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Examination
- Postgraduate Admission Test – Admission test for all graduate schools in mainland China. Subjects may vary.
- ECAES – Examen de Estado de Calidad de la Educación Superior
- Common Admission Test (CAT) - For entry to the management programs at Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and various other business schools in India.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), Joint Admission Test to M.Sc. (JAM) and Joint Management Entrance Test (JMET) – Standard means of entry to various graduate courses at Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
- Management Aptitude Test (MAT) - For admission to Master of Business Administration, Master of Management Studies, etc. programs.
- XLRI Admission Test (XAT) - For admission to the management program at Xavier Labour Relations Institute.
- Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT)- For entry to the master programs in the pharmacy
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) For entry to seven institutes of Indian government
- JEST EXAM which have two phases of examination first phase is objective and second phase is subjective, by getting rank in this test we can admitted into IISC Bangalore
- Many other exams like after BTech with GATE preparation are ISI,TIFR,UGC-NET,PGSET,NITLE,IISC
- GAT-GENERAL – Graduate Aptitude Test, for admission in M.Phil and HEC Scholarship Schemes, Pakistan.
- GAT-SUBJECT – Graduate Aptitude Test, for admission in PhD programs, Pakistan.
- NAT - Category II – National Aptitude Test, for admission in Graduate / Masters programs, Pakistan.
United States (and Canada)
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- Dental Admission Test (DAT) (United States)
- Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) (Canada)
- Optometry Admission Test (OAT)
- Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT)
- Veterinary College Admission Test (VCAT) (Has not been offered since April 2003)
- Allied Health Professions Admission Test (AHPAT)
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT)
- List of primary and secondary school tests
- List of secondary school leaving certificates
- List of language proficiency tests
- Link text The Website for the National Center for Assessment in Higher Education.
- Test Preparation at the Open Directory Project
- Educational Testing Service developer of many of these exams
- Standard means of entry to Ukrainian universities and colleges (Russian)