List of airports in the Los Angeles area
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Main article: Transportation of Los Angeles
The following is a list of airports in the Los Angeles Area:
International Service Airports
- Los Angeles International Airport (IATA: LAX, ICAO: KLAX) is owned by the city of Los Angeles. The airport is located in the west of the city and is, by far, the busiest airport serving the city. It is the sixth busiest commercial airport in the world and the third busiest in the United States; in 2006, LAX handled over 61 million passengers and 2 million tons of cargo.
- LA/Ontario International Airport (IATA: ONT, ICAO: KONT), owned by the city of Los Angeles; serves the Inland Empire. This airport is located to the east, in the bedroom community city of Ontario, California and is the next most prominent airport after LAX.
- John Wayne Airport (IATA: SNA, ICAO: KSNA) is located to the south-east of the city, in the city of Santa Ana, in the northern part of Orange County. It offers limited international service.
Domestic Service Airports
- Bob Hope Airport (IATA: BUR, ICAO: KBUR) is located in Burbank, California, north of downtown. It is limited to a small number of passenger airlines and serves the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys.
- Long Beach Airport (IATA: LGB, ICAO: KLGB) is located to the south of the city, in the city of Long Beach.
- Coast Guard Air Station Los Angeles - shares an airfield with Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) (see above).
- Los Alamitos Army Airfield is in Orange County.
- March Joint Air Reserve Base is in Riverside County.
- Naval Air Station Point Mugu is in Ventura County.
- U.S. Air Force Plant 42 - shares an airfield with Palmdale Regional Airport (see below).
Towered General Aviation Airports
- Brackett Field (IATA: POC, ICAO: KPOC) is in La Verne.
- Camarillo Airport (IATA: CMA, ICAO: KCMA) is in Camarillo.
- Chino Airport (IATA: CNO, ICAO: KCNO) is in Chino.
- El Monte Airport (IATA: EMT, ICAO: KEMT) is in El Monte.
- Fullerton Municipal Airport (IATA: FUL, ICAO: KFUL) is in Fullerton.
- General William J. Fox Airfield (IATA: WJF, ICAO: KWJF) is in Lancaster.
- Hawthorne Municipal Airport (IATA: HHR, ICAO: KHHR) is in Hawthorne.
- Oxnard Airport (IATA: OXR, ICAO: KOXR) is in Oxnard.
- San Bernardino International Airport (IATA: SBD, ICAO: KSBD) is in San Bernardino.
- Santa Monica Airport (IATA: SMO, ICAO: KSMO) is in Santa Monica
- Southern California Logistics Airport (IATA: VCV, ICAO: KVCV) is in Victorville in San Bernardino County, far north-east of the city.
- Van Nuys Airport (IATA: VNY, ICAO: KVNY) is in the San Fernando Valley. It is the world's busiest general aviation airport.
- Whiteman Airport (IATA: WHP, ICAO: KWHP) is in the northern San Fernando Valley.
- Zamperini Field (IATA: TOA, ICAO: KTOA) is in Torrance.
- Riverside Municipal Airport (IATA: RAL, ICAO: KRAL) is in Riverside
- Palmdale Regional Airport (IATA: PMD, ICAO: KPMD) is located north of the city, in Palmdale, and serves the northern outlying communities of the Santa Clarita and Antelope Valleys. It used to have scheduled commercial service until United Airlines canceled service in 2008.
Non-towered General Aviation Airports
- Apple Valley Airport (IATA: APV, ICAO: KAPV) is in Apple Valley
- Cable Airport (IATA: CCB, ICAO: KCCB) is in Upland.
- Catalina Airport (IATA: CIB, ICAO: KAVX) is near Avalon, Santa Catalina Island.
- Compton/Woodley Airport (IATA: CPM, ICAO: KCPM) is in Compton.
- Corona Municipal Airport (IATA: AJO, ICAO: KAJO) is in Corona.
- Flabob Airport (IATA: RIR, ICAO: KRIR) is in Riverside.
- Perris Valley Airport (FAA LID: L65) is in Perris.
- Redlands Municipal Airport (IATA: REI, ICAO: KREI) is in Redlands.
Other notable aviation facilities
- Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Hooper Heliport (4CA0) in downtown Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County Fire Department (LAFD) Barton Heliport (KPAI) located at the southeast corner of Whiteman Airport (see above) in Pacoima
- Goodyear Blimp Base Airport (64CL) in Carson
- Hughes/Corporate Heliport (CL71) in Westchester, adjacent to Loyola Marymount University
Notable closed airports
- Grand Central Airport near Glendale.
- Marine Corps Air Station El Toro near Irvine, now in the process of redevelopment.
- Hughes Airport near Westchester, now home to Playa Vista.
- Disneyland Helipad, at the Disneyland Hotel in Orange County, closed in 1968.
- Rialto Municipal Airport (FAA LID: L67) in Rialto closed in 2014.
- Los Angeles Air Route Traffic Control Center
- Los Angeles World Airports
- Los Angeles Airport Police
- Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport Authority Police
Notes and references
- Los Angeles World Airports
- AirNav.com 4CA0 LAPD Joy Hooper Memorial Heliport
- "Air Operations". Los Angeles County Fire Department. Retrieved 2007-02-17.
- AirNav.com KPAI Barton Heliport