List of alternative therapies for developmental and learning disabilities
This list covers alternative therapies for developmental and learning disabilities. Many of the treatments—including physiotherapy, massage and others—are neither generally considered as 'alternative therapies' nor as standard treatments for developmental and learning disabilities. They are, however, sometimes given or recommended as treatments specifically for these disabilities and therefore included in the list. None of these therapies are supported by scientific evidence.
- 1 Bioenergy therapies
- 2 Dietary treatments
- 3 Eclectic approaches
- 4 Hearing therapies
- 5 Holistic healing
- 6 Medical interventions
- 7 Movement-based therapies
- 8 Pedagogical approaches and policies
- 9 Psychosocial interventions
- 10 Stress management
- 11 Student profiling
- 12 Technological interventions
- 13 Touch therapies
- 14 Training methods
- 15 Visual approaches
- 16 Emerging therapies
- 17 References
- 18 External links
- Distant healing
- Electromagnetic Field (EMF) Balancing Technique
- therapeutic touch (TT) According to the American medical association,therapeutic touch is "little more than quackery".
- Zero Balancing
- B6-magnesium treatment
- glyconutritional supplement
- Sunflower therapy
- Spectral Activated Music of Optimal Natural Structure (SAMONAS)
- flower remedies
- anti-motion sickness medication and other types for Vestibular Dysfunction
- Brushing technique
- Developmental Exercise Programme (inhibition of primitive reflexes)
- Dance Movement Therapy
- Physio-Neuro Therapy
Pedagogical approaches and policies
- Gentle Teaching
- Person Centered Approach (PCA)
- caffeine-free diet
- Brushing and joint compression
- Asfedic Tuning (TintaVision)
- Coloured overlays
- Dunlop test
- Harris Filters
- Prism glasses
- Visual Tracking Magnifier
- Dolphin Assisted Therapy
- Light and Colour Therapy
- Chivers, Maria (2006). Dyslexia and Alternative Therapies. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers. p. 144. ISBN 978-1-84310-378-3.
- Jacobson, JW; Foxx M, Mulick JA (2005). Controversial Therapies for Developmental Disabilities. New Jersey: Erlbaum. pp. 1–505. ISBN 0-8058-4192-X.
- addressing challenging behavior
- Silver, Larry B (2003). Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A Clinical Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment For Health and Mental Health Professionals. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Pub inc. p. 247. ISBN 1-58562-131-5.
- Reid, Gavin (2005). Dyslexia A Complete Guide for Parents. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons. p. 213. ISBN 0-470-86312-9.
- Bull, L. (2007). "Sunflower therapy for children with specific learning difficulties (dyslexia): A randomised, controlled trial". Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice (1): 15–24.
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Doman-Delacato treatment of neurologically handicapped children. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1968; 49:183-186.
- American Health Journal