List of assassinations and acts of terrorism against Americans
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009)|
||The following text needs to be harmonized with text in List of terrorist incidents in the United States.
||The following text needs to be harmonized with text in List of assassinated people#United States.
- 1837 - Elijah P. Lovejoy, editor of an abolitionist newspaper, the "Alton Observer", killed by a mob of pro-slavery advocates.
- 1890 - David Hennessy, Police Chief of New Orleans is shot, allegedly by the Mafia.
- 1901 - William McKinley, 25th US President is shot in Buffalo, New York State by anarchist Leon Czolgosz, and dies eight days later.
- 1910 - The Los Angeles Times bombing by union activists kills 21 and injures some 100.
- 1915 - RMS Lusitania is torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-20 off Ireland. 128 US nationals killed.
- 1919 - The 1919 United States anarchist bombings, carried out by anarchist followers of Luigi Galleani, failed to kill any of their intended targets.
- 1920 - The Wall Street bombing kill 28 and seriously injures 143.
- 1927 - The Bath School disaster in Bath Township, Michigan killed 45 and wounded 58, mostly children. The perpetrator, Andrew Kehoe, blew himself up.
- 1950 - Griselio Torresola and Oscar Collazo, members of the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party fail to assassinate President Harry S. Truman at Blair House in Washington, D.C. on November 1, 1950.
- 1954 - United States Capitol shooting incident on March 1. Four Puerto Rican nationalists, led by Lolita Lebrón shoot and injure five members of the United States House of Representatives during an immigration debate.
- 1963 - 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama, committed by the Ku Klux Klan. Four African-American girls are killed on Sunday morning.
- 1963 - John F. Kennedy assassination committed by Lee Harvey Oswald who killed President John F. Kennedy. Lee Harvey Oswald was killed on November 24, 1963 by Jack Ruby.
- 1968 - Rev Dr Martin Luther king Jr - civil rights advocate is assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee
- 1970 - The first mass aircraft hijackings occurred in 1970, the so-called Dawson's Field hijackings, when the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine seized control of two American planes and one Swiss airliner, all bound from Europe to the United States, to punish the United States for supporting Israel. The Pan Am, TWA and Swissair planes were blown up on the ground in Jordan and Egypt.
- 1975 - The Puerto Rican nationalist FALN bombs Fraunces Tavern in New York City on January 24, killing four and injuring more than 50.
- 1975 - Central Intelligence Agency's Athens station chief was shot by Revolutionary Organization 17 November. The group has committed further assassinations, often using a .45 calibre handgun, and around fifty other attacks. Initial attacks were aimed at American and Greek officials but the range of operations was expanded in the 1980s and 1990s to include bombings and European Union targets.
- 1979 - United States Embassy in Pakistan attacked by mob mistakenly blaming the US for radical Islamic faction hostage crisis in Mecca.
- 1979 - Terrorist group attacked a bus of unarmed navy sailors in Sabana Seca, Puerto Rico killing two and wounded another
- 1981 - Retired General James Dozier was kidnapped by the leftist Italian Red Brigades Marxist terrorist group.
- 1983 - Bombing at United States Embassy in Beirut, April 18, 1983. 63 people, including 17 Americans, are killed.
- 1983 - Beirut barracks bombing, October 23, 1983. 305 people, including 241 US servicemen, are killed by 2 suicide bombers.
- 1983 - On November 7, the Armed Resistance Unit, a militant leftist group, bombs the U.S. Capitol in response to the U.S. invasion of Grenada.
- 1984 - Twenty-two people were killed (two of them American) and seventy were wounded when a van loaded with four hundred pounds of explosives exploded in front of the U.S. Embassy annex in Awkar, Lebanon. Islamic Jihad (code name of Hezbollah) claimed responsibility for the bombing in a call to the media.
- 1985 - Achille Lauro hijacking, wheel-chair bound American killed by Palestinian militants.
- 1985 - US Army Specialist Edward Pimental was murdered by members of the Red Army Faction. His military identification card was later used to gain access to Rhein-Main Air Base to plant a car bomb.
- 1985 - A car bomb exploded at Rhein-Main Air Base, killing two and wounding eleven.
- 1985 - A car bomb exploded outside of the Post Exchange complex in Frankfurt, Germany, wounding 34
- 1986 - Four Americans were killed and five Americans were injured when a bomb exploded aboard TWA Flight 840 as it traveled from Rome to Athens. The aircraft was able to land safely at Athens International Airport.
- 1986 - On April 6, a Berlin discotheque bombing killed a Turkish woman and 2 US servicemen and injured 230 people, including more than 50 American servicemen.
- 1987 - A car bomb exploded outside the back gate of the U.S. Embassy in Rome and mortars were fired at the compound from across the street. One passerby was injured in the attacks.
- 1988 - On April 14 at 8 p.m., a car bomb exploded in front of the USO Club in Naples, Italy. Five people died and fifteen were injured, including four U.S. servicemen who were injured and US Navy Petty Officer Angela Santos, 21, was killed. Junzo Okudaira, a Japanese Red Army (JRA) member, was indicted in the United States on April 9, 1993 for the Naples bombing. Okudaira is also a suspect in the June 1987 car bombing and mortar attack against the U.S. Embassy in Rome.
- 1988 - Pan Am Flight 103, outbound from London for New York with 259 people aboard, was destroyed by a bomb on December 21, 1988 while over Lockerbie, Scotland. All aboard the aircraft were killed as were eleven persons on the ground.
- 1988 - 1990 - Marine Col. Rich Higgins kidnapped, tortured and murdered by Hezbollah terrorists.
- 1993 - World Trade Center bombing, February 26: 6 killed, 1,042 injured.
- 1995 - Killing of two US Diplomats in Pakistan, March 8.
- 1995 - Oklahoma City bombing, 168 killed, over 800 injured. April 19.
- 1996 - Khobar Towers bombing: 19 American servicemen killed.
- 1998 - US embassy bombings: U.S. Kenya Embassy blown up, 214 killed (including 12 Americans); U.S. Tanzania Embassy blown up, 11 killed.
- 2000 - USS Cole attacked, 17 U.S. Navy sailors killed, 39 sailors injured.
- 2001 - September 11, 2001 attacks, 2,997 killed;
- 2002 - Nine people killed by bomb blast near US embassy in Lima - seen as attempt to disrupt forthcoming visit by President George W. Bush.
- 2002-2006 - Karachi consulate attacks: three separate attacks killed 18 people (including an American diplomat) and injured 87.
- 2002 - Two Marines shot, one killed in Kuwait.
- 2003 - Riyadh Compound Bombings kill 9 Americans, among 35 others.
- 2003 - Three American diplomats are killed by a roadside bomb targeting their convoy in Gaza. Palestine Resistance Committees, an umbrella organization has taken responsibility for the attack."
- 2003–present - Damascus terrorist attacks: American interests in Syria targeted by Islamists.
- 2004 - Paul Marshall Johnson, Jr, civilian working in Saudi Arabia, kidnapped and beheaded; five other Americans die in attacks in Saudi Arabia in 2004.
- 2012 - US Embassy in Libya was attacked. The ambassador and three other Americans were killed.
- 2012 - Sikh temple in Wisconsin was attacked by a white supremacist. Six Americans were killed, not including the perpetrator, who committed suicide.
- 2013 - 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, 3 killed, 183 injured. April 15.
- List of United States presidential assassination attempts and plots
- List of terrorist incidents in the United States
- List of terrorist incidents
- Terrorist attacks on U.S. diplomatic facilities
- Aircraft hijacking
- Suicide bombing
- List of massacres
- Anti-American sentiment
- Terrorism Time Line
- History of Terrorism: Timeline of terrorist acts - chronology
- Thinkquest: Timeline of Terror
- Time.com: A Timeline of Terror Terrorism Hits and Misses
- Infoplease: Terrorist Attacks on Americans
- Infoplease: Terrorist Attacks (within the United States or against Americans abroad)
- Frontline: Terrorist Attacks on Americans
- US Department of State - Political Violence Against Americans, 1987–2002 and 2008