An automation integrator is a systems integrator—a company or individual—who makes different versions of automation hardware and software work together, generally combining several subsystems to work together as one large system.
The title may refer to those who only integrate hardware, although these will often work with software integrators. Software created by automation integrators allows devices to communicate with each other, as well as collecting and reporting data.
The magazine Control Engineering publishes an annual “Automation Integrator Guide” which lists over 2,000 automation integrators. They also give an annual system integrator of the year award to three automation integration firms. George Brown College offers a specific Automation Integrator Certificate.
The Control System Integrators Association (CSIA) certifies automation integrators, through an audit based on 76 critical criteria from the best practices manual. Companies must be associate members of the CSIA to be eligible for certification.
Automation Integrators work in a wide variety of industries which use robotics and automation. Some of the most common include:
- Water and Wastewater
- Electrical equipment
- Food and beverage
- Oil and gas
Leading manufacturers of automation hardware and software include:
- ACS Motion Control
- Allied Automation Inc
- Automation Direct
- Banner Engineering
- Control Technology
- Delta Tau Data Systems
- DSP Control Group
- Elmo Motion Control
- Emerson Industrial Automation
- General Electric
- Inductive automation
- National Instruments
- Phoenix Contact
- PPT Vision
- Rockwell Automation
- Trio Motion Technology
- "Automation Integrator Guide, 2011 Articles". Control Engineering. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- VanDoren, Vance. "The Best In Automation System Integration, 2011". Control Engineering. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Automation Integrator Certificate". George Brown College. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- VanDoren, Vance. [tt_news=16525&cHash=271281 "System Integrator Certification Catches On"]. Control Engineering. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "Automation Integrator Guide". VanDoren Industries. Retrieved 16 April 2012.