List of automotive customizers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of automotive customizers effectively worldwide.
- Larry Alexander - paint & bodywork (MI), parter with brother Mike
- Mike Alexander - paint & bodywork (MI), partner with brother Larry
- Asami Amemiya - Mazda engines & bodywork (JP), primarily associated for his work on Mazda rotary engines
- Dennis Anderson - monster trucks, best known for his work on Grave Digger (CA)
- Art Arfons - car builder (KS), landspeed record holder and famous for his series of Green Monster racing vehicles
- Hans Werner Aufrecht - Mercedes-Benz, co-founder of Mercedes-AMG (GER)
- Gil Ayala - paint & bodywork (CA)
- Joe Bailon - paint & bodywork (CA), inventor of candy apple paint.
- George Barris - movie & TV cars (CA), but also collaborated with brother Sam on the Hirohata Merc
- Sam Barris - paint & bodywork (CA), collaborated with brother George on the Hirohata Merc
- Gene Berg - Volkswagen Beetles (CA)
- Andy Brizio - hot rod builder (CA)
- Roy Brizio - hot rod builder (CA)
- Nick Butler - custom car builder (UK)
- John Buttera -nicknamed "Lil' John"; hot rod builder (WI)
- Reeves Callaway - Chevrolet Corvette tuner (CT)
- Bruce Canepa - exotics and SUVs, best known for making alteration to the Porsche 959 to enable legal street use in the US. (CA)
- Bob Chandler - trucks, best known for creating the Bigfoot series of monster trucks. (MO)
- Pete Chapouris - hot rod builder (CA), best known for The California Kid 3-window coupe, featured in the movie, partner with Jim "Jake" Jacobs in Pete and Jake's Hot Rods.
- Sid Chavers - award winning automotive interior designer (CA)
- Ron Clark - paint & bodywork (MI), partnered with Bob Kaiser in Clarkaiser Customs
- Boyd Coddington - hot rod builder (CA), creator of the Boydster
- Ron "Professor Hammer" Covell - sheet metal fabricator and customizer (CA)
- Bill Cushenberry - paint & bodywork (KS)
- John D'Agostino - paint and body (CA)
- Hans Dahlbäck- VW and Audi, noted for his work on a 900 bhp Golf Mk. IV (SWE)
- Tom Daniel--designer of The Red Baron
- Dick Dean - paint and body (CA)
- Steve Dinan - BMW tuner (CA)
- Rick Dobbertin - VW customizer
- Brian Doyen -Hot Rod & Late Model suspension fabrication and electrical (CA)
- Vic Edelbrock, Sr. - pioneer manufacturer of aftermarket parts and speed equipment (CA)
- Vic Edelbrock, Jr. - continues the efforts and legacy started by his father in hot rod community and industry (CA)
- Neil Emory - co-creator of Polynesian with Clayton Jensen
- Ken "Posie" Fenical - hot rod builder (PA)
- Chip Foose - hot rod builder (CA)
- Bill Frick - builder of Studillacs in the '50s
- Brad Fanshaw - hot rod builder (CA)
- Yecid Forero Bustos - car customizer. (Colombia)
- Mike "Blackie" Gejeian - car customizer, racer, show promoter (CA)
- Uwe Gemballa - Porsche tuner (GER)
- Gene Winfield - Fade paint and customs and racing cars
- Burt Greenwood - Corvette tuner, brother of John (FL)
- John Greenwood - Corvette tuner, brother of Burt (FL)
- Hiroyuki Hasegawa - Japanese cars, co-owner and co-founder of tuning parts company, HKS (JPN)
- John Hennessey - originally famous for works on Dodge Vipers, founder of Hennessey Performance Engineering (TX)
- Art Himsl - pinstriping (CA)
- Mickey Himsl - pinstriping (CA)
- Bill "Leadslinger" Hines - metal shaper and car customizer (MI)
- Yasuji Hirano - Honda tuner, owner of Top Fuel (JPN)
- Dieter Inzenhofer - Porsche engine tuner, part of a trio that is ANDIAL (CA, originated from Germany)
- Ed "The Camfather" Iskenderian - an early pioneer in performance cam shafts for drag and dry lakes racing. (CA)
- Jim "Jake" Jacobs - customs, partner with Pete Chapouris in Pete and Jake's Hot Rods (CA)
- Jesse James - hot rod builder, also known as a motorcycle builder and reality show star (CA)
- Dean Jeffries - movie & TV car builder and pinstiper, credited with the creation of the "crab claw" style flamed paint job (CA)
- Clayton Jensen - co-creator of Polynesian with Neil Emory
- Bob Kaiser - paint & bodywork (MI), partnered with Ron Clark in Clarkaiser Customs
- Bernt Karlsson (customizer) Custom paint & Bodywork (CA) originally from Sweden, featured on TV show American Hot Rod
- Edo Karabegovic - high end European exotics, owner of edo competition (GER)
- Wataru Kato, Japanese car tuner, owner of Liberty Walk, famous for modifications to Ferraris (JPN)
- Kousuke Kida, Japanese car tuner, owner of Signal Auto (JPN)
- Willy Koenig - Italian and German exotics, most famous for his work on Ferraris and the twin-turbo Testarossa (GER)
- Kourosh Mansory - prestige car bodies (GER, originally from Czech Republic)
- Dick "Magoo" Megugorac - hot rod builder (CA)
- Erhard Melcher - Mercedes-Benz engines, co-founder of Mercedes-AMG (GER)
- Chuck Miller -- builder of The Red Baron at Styline Customs
- Steve Moal - hot rod builder
- Dean Moon - hot rod builder (CA)
- Gene Mooneyham - automotive supercharger manufacturer and engine performance pioneer, also builder of the famed "554 Mooneyham & Sharp coupe" race car (CA)
- Kazuhiko "Smokey" Nagata - Japanese car tuner (JPN)
- Akira Nakai - Porsche tuner, owner of Rauh Welt (JPN)
- Arlen Ness - hot rod builder, also known as a motorcycle builder (CA)
- "Real Ralph" Newman - pinstriper (CA)
- Richard Noble - builder and designer of Thrust1, subsequently famous for his "Thrust" land speed record projects (GBR)
- Ken "Nomuken" Nomura - bodywork and drifting setup, better known outside his native country as a drifting driver (JPN)
- Simon Norris - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo engines (GBR)
- Bob Norwood - Ferrari engines (TX)
- Jay Ohrberg - known for his work on creating custom vehicles for movie and TV productions
- Kazuyoshi "Okachan" Okamura - known for his work on Nissan Silvias and 180SXs and owner of Yashio Factory (JPN)
- Ed Pink (CA) - engines
- Andy Robinson - hot rod builder, better known for his involvement in drag racing (UK)
- Ed "Big Daddy" Roth - hot rod designer (CA)
- Alois Ruf - Porsche tuner (GER)
- Frank Schonig - hot rod builder (CA)
- Jamie Shaw - bodywork, owner of Carisma Automotive and star of the British edition of Pimp My Ride (UK)
- Carroll Shelby - builder, factory designer (TX)
- Alwin Springer - Porsche engines, part of a trio that is Andial (CA, originated from Germany)
- Darryl Starbird - hot rod builder (KS & OK)
- Vittorio Strosek - European bodies (GER)
- Dave Stuckey - hot rod builder (KS)
- Bill Summers - hot rod builder, famed for his work on Goldenrod, brother of Bob (CA)
- Bob Summers - hot rod builder, famed for his work on Goldenrod, brother of Bill (CA)
- Hideki Tanabe - Japanese car modifications, founder of Powerhouse Amuse (JPN)
- Katsunori "Dandy" Tanaka - Japanese car modifications and engine mapper (JPN)
- Troy Trepanier - hot rod builder (IL)
- Ken "Von Dutch" Howard - pinstriper (CA)
- Arnold Wagner - Porsche engines, part of a trio that is Andial (CA, originated from Germany)
- Larry Watson - custom paint
- Harry Westergaard - bodywork
- Joe Wilhelm - paint & bodywork (CA)
- Gene Winfield - paint & bodywork (CA)
- Alex Xydias - hot rod builder and engine tuner (CA), founder of the legendary So-Cal Speed Shop and the first driver to achieve 200 mph in a Ford Flathead powered streamliner.
- Hiranao Yokomaku - bodykit designer, owner of Veilside, famous for the Combat and Fortune series of bodykits (JPN)
- Rod & Custom, 8/89, p.60.
- Ganahl, Pat, "The Candy Man", in Rod & Custom, 7/95, p.81; Street Rodder, 1/85, p.56.
- Street Rodder, 1/85, p.111.
- Jalopy Journal.
- Fetherston, David, "Detroit Dreams", in Rod & Custom, 7/95, p.58.
- Worked on the Lincoln Futura (basis of the Batmobile), and designed Hot Wheels cars.
- Batmobile site.
- Hot Rod Show World, p.76. Peterson Publications/Hot Rod Magazine, 1976.
- Hot Rod August 1954; Motor Trend Custom Car Annual 1954; Rod & Custom, 8/89, p.68.
- Rod Action, 2/85, p.5.
- Bishop, Mike, "The 45th Grand National Roadster Show", in American Rodder, 6/94, p.27.
- Kowalke, Ron. Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975, 4th Edition (Krause Publications, 1997); Shaw, Wilbur. "Studebaker with a Cadillac Engine" in The Popular Science Monthly, July 1953 (New York, Popular Science Publishing Co.), pp.76, 80, 210, & 212.
- Martin, Dick (February 2009). Blackie Gejeian - The Story. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- Hot Rod, August 1998.
- Jim Mederer - Mazda tuner, co-founder of Racing Beat (CA)
- Street Rodder, 12/98, p.206.
- Hot Rod Show World, p.76. Peterson Publications/Hot Rod Magazine, 1976.
- Street Rodder, 1/85, p.56.
- Genevieve Chappell
- Rod & Custom, 8/89, p.55.
- Winfield worked with L. David Ash, Dick Dean, George Barris, Matt Jeffries (from "Star Trek"), & did work on Aluminum Model Toys & "RoboCop" Grant, David The Legendary Custom Cars and Hot Rods of Gene Winfield. Motorbooks, 2008.
- Madigan, Tom. Edelbrock: Made in USA, Tehabi Books, 2005.
- DeWitt, John. Cool cars, high art: the rise of kustom kulture. University Press of Mississippi, 2001.
- Grant, David The Legendary Custom Cars and Hot Rods of Gene Winfield. Motorbooks, 2008. ISBN 978-0-7603-2778-4.