List of backmasked messages
The following is an incomplete list of backmasked messages in music.
|Ash||"Evil Eye" (album)||"She's giving me the evil eye, suck Satan's cock."||Said at the beginning of the song. Lead singer Tim Wheeler remarked that "Yeah, we did hide a secret message in 'Evil Eye', but it's not that bad..."|
|At the Drive-In||"300 MHz" (EP)||"...your enamel / made no reflection in our mirror / coughing up the coffins / cotton candy coated teeth / these pockets were clinching all filled with teeth / amnesia proletariat / in the unlikely event / that sarcasm is an unfitting dress / amnesia proletariat / amnesia proletariat / amnesia / coughing up the coffins / cotton candy coated teeth / these pockets were clinching / all filled with teeth / sharpened on the fucking hides of men..."||Heard by reversing the song starting at the 94-second mark. The message is composed of rearranged verses from earlier in the song.|
|The B-52's||"Detour Thru Your Mind" (album)||"I buried my parakeet in the backyard. Oh no, you're playing the record backwards. Watch out, you might ruin your needle."||At the end of the track. May poke fun at psychedelia, or at the backmasking controversy.|
|The Beatles||"Rain"||"...the sun shines. Raaain. When the rain comes, they run and hide their heads"||Gibberish occurs during the fade out (accompanying music is not reversed), actually sections of the vocal melody. This was one of the earliest instances of backmasking. The deliberate reversal was repeatedly acknowledged by John Lennon and others.|
|"Free as a Bird" (album)||"Turned out nice again."||Can be heard during the song's fade-out. Was commented upon by many newspapers after the album's release in 1995 and the discovery of the message by BBC Radio Five Live producer Simon Clifford. Paul McCartney stated that, "We even put one of those spoof backwards recordings on the end of the single for a laugh, to give all those Beatles nuts something to do." The phrase was a catchphrase of popular 1940s entertainer George Formby.|
|"Revolution 9" (album)||"Turn me on dead man."||A debated message which fueled the Paul is Dead rumor. See Backmasking.|
|The Beatles||"I'm So Tired" (album)||"Paul is a dead man. Miss him, miss him, miss him"||A debated backmasking message in which helped the Paul is Dead rumor. Forwards it is John and Yoko mumbling, backwards a Paul is dead message.|
|Beck||"Loser" (album)||"Soy un perdedor. I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me" (entire chorus reversed)||After the last time Beck says "I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me," and before the vocal "I'm a driver, I'm a winner."|
|Between the Buried and Me||"Disease, Injury, Madness" (album)||"You must wait for the rest of the non-believers/If you disagree, you will sleep/You must wait for the rest of the non-believers"||At 3 minutes and 17 seconds into the song, you can hear faint vocals that sound like gibberish. Reversed you can hear the lyrics.|
|Bloodhound Gang||"Lift Your Head Up High (and Blow Your Brains Out)" (album)||"Devil child will wake up and eat Chef Boyardee Beefaroni"||Said in a deep, odd-sounding voice. Preceded by "I hope you take this the wrong way / And misinterpret what I say / Rewind and let me reverse it / Backwards like Judas Priest first did"|
|Boards of Canada||"You Could Feel the Sky" (album)||"A god with hooves, a god with horns"||Clearly audible two minutes and fourteen seconds into the song.|
|"1969" (album)||"David Koresh"||In the sentence "Although not a follower of David Koresh, she's a devoted Branch Davidian." The rest of the sentence is not backmasked.|
|Butthole Surfers||"Pepper" (album)||"I don't mind the sun sometimes; the images it shows. You never know just how you look through other people's eyes."||Between the second chorus and the third verse.|
|Cake||"Jesus Wrote a Blank Check" (album)||"Don't forget to breathe in."||This occurs after the song ends (about 3:06 of the track).|
|Chiodos||"The Lover and the Liar" (EP)||"How does it feel to know that you've taken someone's smile?"||This is whispered by Craig Owens at the beginning of the track.|
|Choking Victim||"Hate Yer State" (album)||"You think you're alive, motherfucker? You're just the walking fucking dead, you're a fucking sheep, stepping on my back to stay alive. West Coast, East Coast, you're all just a bunch of fucking fools, you and the rest of this greedy fucking world. Kill yourself! So stay in school, say no to drugs, oh yeah! Hail Satan! Good night boys and girls, pleasant dreams."||Reversal of undeciperable gibberish at beginning of song.|
|Chumbawamba||"Look! No Strings!" (album)||"Oh fuck me Jesus!"||Near the end of the song. References the band's "Fuck Me Jesus" tour. Chumbawamba was described by the press in Keswick, where they played a concert, as "the worst of the American Satanic backwards message bands"|
|"Mary, Mary"||A girl reciting Hail Marys||The very end of this song wraps up a theme from the beginning in which "Mary" recites the Hail Mary. The recitation is quite obviously backmasked given the sound and length of the reversed version.|
|Cradle of Filth||"Dinner at Deviant's Palace" (album)||Unusual sounds and a reversed reading of the Lord's Prayer||Backwards readings of the Lord's Prayer are allegedly used in certain demonic rites.|
|D12||"My Band" (album)||"Buy this album now. When it gets to the end."||20 seconds before the end of the track when Eminem does a parody of Kelis's Milkshake called "My Salsa."|
|Darkthrone||"As Flittermice As Satan's Spys" (album)||"In the name of God, let the churches burn."||At the end of the track.|
|Chris de Burgh||"The Vision" (album)||"And then a vision..."||Heard at the beginning of the track after segueing from "The Leader" (where this sample was taken), another track on the album Into the Light.|
|Deep Purple||"Stormbringer" (album)||"Cocksucker, motherfucker, stormbringer!"||Occurs at the beginning of the song before the first verse.|
|Def Leppard||"Rocket" (album)||"We are fighting with the gods of war"||A preview of another song, "Gods of War," on the album Hysteria.|
|"White Lightning" (album)||"She's got the rhythm of love"||From the song "Heaven Is", recorded backwards.|
|Deicide||"Satan Spawn, the Caco-Daemon" (album)||"Satan spawn, cacodaemon, cacodaemon, cacodaemon, satan spawn, cacodaemon, cacodaemon, cacodaemon."||At the beginning of the track, accompanied by bleating of sheep. Effectively the same as the chorus.|
|Drowning Pool||"Sermon" (album)||"Ladies and gentlemen, tell me what you believe"||A reversal of earlier parts of the song. Drummer Mike Luce said, "It's just a homage. A tribute back to the old school."|
|The Dukes of Stratosphear||"The Mole from the Ministry" (mini-album)||"You can fuck yourself with your atom bomb."||Speeded up and fluttering at the very end of the track.|
|Electric Light Orchestra||"Mr. Radio" (album)||"Hello Mr. Radio..."||Heard at 1:57 of the track.|
|"Down Home Town" (album)||"Face the mighty waterfall" (2x)||At the beginning of the track. This album was released in 1975 following allegations of a hidden message in 1974's Eldorado, and was a satirical response. This was also the chorus to their previous track "Waterfall".|
|"Fire on High" (album)||"The music is reversible, but time... (violin note) is not. Turn back! Turn back! Turn back! Turn back!"||Reversal of a mysterious deep mumbling. Another response to the Eldorado controversy.|
|Various songs from Secret Messages (Those are "Secret Messages", "Time After Time", "Stranger", "Danger Ahead", "Rock N' Roll Is King" and the intended side D track for a double album "Hello My Old Friend")||"Welcome to the show" (2x), "Thank you for listening", "Look out there's danger ahead", "Hup two three four", "Time after time", "You're playing me backwards", "Plant a tree" and "..acquire... It's seriously gonna be fun"||This concept album, released by ELO in 1983, contains many backwards and hidden messages, both visual and auditory. It was a further response to the Satanic backmasking controversy. The British release contains a parody warning label about the backward messages, but this was deleted by CBS Records for the United States version.|
|Missy Elliott||"Work It" (album)||"I put my thing down, flip it, and reverse it." and "Watch the way Missy like to take it backwards"||Reversed version of the preceding line. The "Watch the way Missy like to take it backwards" message can be heard in the middle of the second verse.|
|Eminem||"Stimulate" (album)||"I'm not here to save you / I'm only here for the ride / So let me entertain you / And everything will be fine."||At the end of the track.|
|Enigma||"Odyssey of the Mind" (album)||While this track does contain some forward vocals as well, the entire track contains backmasking from the first (self-titled) track of the album, "Le Roi Est Mort, Vive le Roi!".|
|"Camera Obscura" (album)||Lyrics beginning with "Cause we are the fighters / Just fighting for our rights / Stand up, join us, modern crusaders alive / We have the power"||Sections of Andru Donalds' reversed vocals from "Modern Crusaders", an earlier track in the album.|
|Eurythmics||"This City Never Sleeps" (album)||"I enjoyed making the record, very good, very good"||At the end of the song, after some seconds of silence.|
|Fall Out Boy||"Dance, Dance" (album)||"Joe Trohman is lame."||This is whispered just before the first chorus. Joe Trohman is the band's guitarist.|
|Filter||"The 4th" (album)||"Ooh what a hell of a price, what a hell of a price."||This part is most clear for the first 1:30 of the song. Taken from the song "World Today" which segues into the next track.|
|The Fireman||"Don't Stop Running" (album)||"Warmer than the sun, cooler than the air."||Heard at the very end of the song at the 10:20 mark.|
|Franz Ferdinand||"Michael" (album)||"She's worried about you, call your mother."||Right before the second verse. A reference to bassist Bob Hardy's homesickness during the recording of the album. The band "wanted to do the exact opposite [of Satanic backmasking], put the most positive thing we could think of as a backwards message."|
|Robert Fripp||"Haaden Two" (album)||"One thing is for sure - the sheep is not a creature of the air. Baaaaaaaah!"||This line is a sample of Graham Chapman in a sketch from the first episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus.|
|The Godfathers||"Unreal World" (album)||"I've been walking 'cross vast empty spaces I feel / I've been looking for one place I know that is real."||Heard at the beginning of the track before the music starts.|
|Grim Reaper||"Final Scream" (album)||"See you in hell!"||Said by a demonic voice. References the band's first album, See You In Hell. It is heard after the child says "Goodnight Daddy" and at the end of the song.|
|Half Man Half Biscuit||"Christian Rock Concert" (McIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt)||"The body of Shane Fenton is in the laundry chute of the New Ambassadors Hotel near Euston Station "||Normal lyrics include "Get thee behind me Stryper, I’ve played your records backwards, I’ve seen your antics in the Green Room"|
|Iced Earth||"Damien" (album)||"Your pain on the cross was but a splinter compared to the agony of my father. I will drive deeper the thorns into your rancid carcass, you profaner of Isis.You have done nothing."||Reversed lyrics from earlier in the song.|
|Incubus||"Azwethinkweiz" (album)||"Thursday Night we smoked indica, and Azwethinkweizm was born"||Said by Brandon Boyd.|
|Information Society||"Are Friends Electric" (album)||"Obey your parents. Do your homework. Winners don't do drugs."||Heard between the songs "Are Friends Electric" and "Ozar Midrashim." The back of the album cover features the disclaimer "InSoc can accept no responsibility for the mental effect of the backwards message."|
|Insane Clown Posse||"Echo Side" (album)||"Fuck the Devil! Fuck that shit! We believe in life legit. If you diggin' what we say, why you throw your soul away?"||Heard after "licked the back of his neck and said.."|
|"Everybody Rise" (album)||"Yeah, if you flip this message cuz you think there's some secret message, there ain't shit!"||Reversal of gibberish at the end of the track. Said by Violent J.|
|Iron Maiden||"Still Life" (album)||"Hmm, Hmmm, what ho sed de t'ing wid de t'ree bonce. Don't meddle wid t'ings you don't understand", followed by a belch.||Found between the songs "The Trooper" and "Still Life", on Piece of Mind. It is an inebriated Nicko McBrain (the drummer) doing his "famous" impression of Idi Amin Dada. It translates to the following: "'What ho,' said the monster with the three heads, 'don't meddle with things you don't understand.'"
The message was included by the band in response to allegations of Satanism that were surrounding them at the time.
|Jay Chou||"You Can Hear" (album)||"只有你能聽得到" ("Only you can hear it")||Following the same line forwards. This is done intentionally, so if you play it backwards, "only you can hear it".|
|The J. Geils Band||"No Anchovies, Please" (album)||"It doesn't take a genius to tell the difference between chicken shit and chicken salad."||Disguised as a foreign-sounding language spoken under the narration.|
|Journey||"Message of Love" (album)||"Message of love"||The song title is backmasked in the opening 30 seconds of the song.|
|Judas Priest||"Love Bites" (album)||"In the dead of the night, love bites"||Admitted to by Rob Halford during the subliminal message trial. Halford said that "When you're composing songs, you're always looking for new ideas, new sounds."|
|KISS||"Hate" (album)||"Corgan"||The introduction to the song features amplifier feedback along the message "Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boise, Idaho... direct from the Paramount Theatre... 12 year-old, little Billy Corgan" with the last word, "Corgan", being backmasked.|
|Korn||"Shoots and Ladders" (album)||"This is madness"||Can be heard spoken repeatedly throughout the chorus.|
|L7||"Boys in Black"||"All beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Two all beef patties. (laugh)"||The formula for a Big Mac.|
|Lacuna Coil||"Self Deception" (album)||"I don't know what to do, no guilt is in my heart, I don't know what to do, I'm not the reason"||The backwards message is the chorus of the song.|
|Linkin Park||"P5hng Me A*wy" (album)||"Everything falls apart even the people who never frown eventually break down. Everything has to end you'll soon find we're out of time left to watch it all unwind."||During the intro and breaks.|
|"Announcement Service Public" (album)||"You should brush your teeth, and you should wash your hands."||The only lyric to this interlude. Heard once at around 0:25 to 0:35, and four times from 1:45 to end. The title is reversed because you have to reverse the song as well to get the message from it.|
|Marilyn Manson||"Tourniquet" (album)||"This is my lowest point of vulnerability"||At the opening of the track.|
sympathy for the parents
|Various messages. For example, "You are on the other side now...there ain't no going back once you been here, brothers and sisters...there ain't no going back."
says the same thing forward as it does backwards "uh uh the apocoloypse"
|Appears as the B-side for the single "Get Your Gunn".|
|The Mars Volta||"Eunuch Provocateur" (album)||"Have mommy or daddy ever had to spank you?", "I'm very fond of this one about an old spider friend of mine", "The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout / down came the rain and washed the spider out / out came the sun and dried up all the rain / and the itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again."||The second part is the song "Itsy Bitsy Spider".|
|Bob and Doug McKenzie||"Black Holes" (album)||"Good day, I'm Bob McKenzie. This is my brother, Doug." "Take off!" "No, how's it goin'?" "Oh, sorry, eh." "No, you take off!" "You take off!" "You blew it!" "Oh, sorry." "This is the backwards part." "Alright, start over." "Forget it!"||On their Great White North album, the comic duo explain on this track that there's a "secret message" to be played backwards that "will give you clues to what really happened." The message is preceded by an invitation to play the next part backwards "like you do with some other albums."|
|Mew||"New Terrain" (album)||The entire song played backwards reveals another song titled "Nervous".||Slightly audible.|
|Mindless Self Indulgence||"Backmask" (album)||"Respect your parents." / "Clean your room." / "Do your homework." / "Don't stay out too late." / "Eat your vegetables." / "Put away your toys." / "Don't sit too close to the TV." / "Take the dog for a nice walk." / "Hurry up! Get dressed for church." / "Who needs me to suck their dick?" / (at the end of the song) "Don't listen to this song."||Clearly audible reversed speech by singer Jimmy Urine; starts at 2:10 into the song and lasts until the end. The song speaks degradingly about angsty teenagers who look for backwards messages in music, and contains the lyrics "Play that record backwards/ Here's a message yo for the suckas/ Play that record backwards/ And go fuck yourself."|
|Mitch Benn||"Please Don't Release This Song" (album)||"We haven't got a clue."||Fragment of another track from the same album, played repeatedly at the end of this track. The whole song, including the use of backmasking, is a Beatles parody.|
|Moby||"Machete" (album)||"I have to say goodbye."||Appears midway through the song.|
|Motörhead||"Nightmare/The Dreamtime" (album)||"Now tell me, about your miserable little lives. I do not subscribe to your superstitious, narrow minded flights* of paranoia. I and people like me, will always prevail! You will never stifle* our free speech in any country in the world, 'coz we will fight forever*." "In a single stroke, you poor, stupid, running dogs. Why is it..." [Words followed by a * are difficult to make out, and may be incorrect]||Various sections of the song. Reputedly a message to the Parents Music Resource Center.|
|Mr. Bungle||"Egg" (album)||"Rotting from the inside / over-incubated by the heat of fear and love / the self's coagula[ted]"||These are the lyrics from the start of the track, although the backwards version is a different take.|
|Nelly Furtado||"Big Hoops (Bigger the Better)" (album)||"Oh My God! Descending to the 13th floor, 14, 16, We’re on the 11th floor, descending to the 12th floor
Oh My God! Descending to the 13th floor, 14, 16, We’re on the 11th floor, descending to the 12th floor"
|Occurs at the very end of the song, after the breakdown. The message is more noticeable on the a cappella version of the song.|
|Nevermore||"Sentient 6" (album)||"Seven, seven, seven. I am the bringer of the end, fear me, I am the beast that is technology."||Occurs at 4:43. There is a recurring theme in Nevermore albums about humanity becoming enslaved by technology.|
|Oasis||"D'You Know What I Mean?" (album)||"All my people right here, right now... d'you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah..."||Heard throughout some parts of the song, including the third verse.|
|Oingo Boingo||"Cry of the Vatos" (album)||"Just once or twice is good for your soul / Praise God! Brothers and sisters! / Accept Jesus into your heart and you will saved! / You will receive everlasting life / Listen to me, I've sinned, I know / Praise Jesus and you will be saved, saved, saved / Praise God, you are healed, healed, healed."||Entire song.|
|Ozzy Osbourne||"Bloodbath in Paradise" (album)||"Your mother sells whelks in Hull"||A parody of the most famous line from The Exorcist, in which the possessed child screams "Your mother sucks cocks in hell." The message appears to be related to an earlier lawsuit against Ozzy related to alleged subliminal messages on his album Blizzard of Ozz.|
|Petra||"Judas Kiss" (album)||"What are you looking for the devil for, when you ought to be looking for the Lord?"||A response to the backmasking controversy.|
|A Perfect Circle||"Renholdër" (album)||"Danny Lohner, Danny Lohner"||Said in a high-pitched voice. The title, "Renholdër", is "Re: D. Lohner" backwards. Danny Lohner was an early member of A Perfect Circle.|
|Pilot||"You're Devotion"||"Oh, oh, oh / It's magic, you know / Never believe it's not so / Och aye! / Oh, oh, oh / It's magic..."||Appears during the song's fadeout. The backmasked message is the chorus of Pilot's earlier song, "Magic". Bassist David Paton remarked: "We always meant to have something else there and after the success of 'Magic' the idea just came up in the studio for all of us to sing the chorus of 'Magic' on the fade. I think you might even hear an 'Och aye!' in there as well."|
|Pink Floyd||"Empty Spaces" (album)||"Hello, Luka. Congratulations. You've just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the funny farm, Chalfont." (voice in background) "Roger! Carolyne is on the phone!" "Ok"||The start and end of this line are difficult to hear, and it is often shortened to simply "...congratulations. You've just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the funny farm, Chalfont." Many fans believe this line refers to former lead singer Syd Barrett, who suffered a breakdown years earlier. Another interpretation of this is that it foreshadows the progression of Pink (the main character on The Wall) towards insanity and the "funny farm."|
|Plasmatics||"Coup d'État" (album)||"The brainwashed do not know they are being brainwashed"||After the song "The Damned", at the end of the album.|
|Prince||"Darling Nikki" (album)||"Hello, how are you? I'm fine. 'Cause I know that the Lord is coming soon. Coming, coming soon", followed by thirty-seven "hah"s.||At the end of the track with the sound of rain and wind. The message appears to be in sharp contrast to the rest of the sexually laden song but is more likely a simple double-entendre.|
|The Prodigy||"Full Throttle" (album)||"We're going in full throttle!"||The backmasked portion is actually sampled from the film Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. It appears backmasked on the album Music for the Jilted Generation, but a version of the song featuring the unbackmasked sample appears as the B-side to their single "One Love".|
|The Rutles||"Piggy in the Middle" (album)||"This little piggy went to maaaarket."||Found prior to the bridge at around 1:13. As The Rutles are themselves a parody of The Beatles, this parodies the numerous purported backwards messages in Beatles songs.|
|Slayer||"Hell Awaits" (album)||"Join us!" (x45)  followed by "Welcome back" as a greeting to their fans for their 2nd record.||Whispered (steadily getting louder) during the first 1 minute and 5 seconds of the song|
|Soundgarden||"665" (album)||"Santa, I love you baby. My Christmas king. Santa, you’re my king. I love you, Santa baby. Got what I need."||Throughout the song. Obviously parodies the claimed Satanic messages.|
|Tech N9ne||"Absolute Power" (album)||"I've traveled many roads and seen many things in search of fortune and fame. All my dreams died no matter how hard I tried so nothing but unhappiness remains. So now I sit with this pen in my hand, itching to produce and perform. Waiting to rule with absolute power. I love these calm little moments before the storm."||This message appears at the beginning of the track.|
|Tenacious D||"Karate" (album)||"Eat donkey crap."||This plays at the end of Karate, before the song "Rock Your Socks" begins.|
|Tiger Army||"Towards Destiny" (album)||"Tiger Army never die, Tiger Army never die, Tiger Army never die. As the last tiger dies, the Ghost Tigers rise. Heed the call of the werecat Transylvania. We fight on the side of fate. Toward destiny, we ascend to it forever. Hail Satan."||After the first verse, at around 0:36. Never Die was a song on the band's first LP, and "Tiger Army Never Die" has since become the band's motto. The title of Tiger Army's third release, III: Ghost Tigers Rise was taken from this message as well.|
|Tool||"Intension" (album)||"Listen to your mother. Your father is right. Work hard. Stay in school. Listen to your mother. Your father is right. Listen to your mother. Your father is right."||Occurs during indecipherable whispering and ambiance beginning at 0:59.|
|United Nations||"Subliminal Testing" (album)||"You never listened, won't you turn this back around."|
|The Used||"Cut Up Angels" (album)||"Happiness is a warm gun, yes it is"||Heard from 0:04-0:13 of the song.|
|Steve Vai||"Whookam" (album)||An extended message, beginning with "There is a god; the universe is not without a creator, sustainer and protector. He is the ocean of bliss."||Entire track.|
|Roger Waters||"Perfect Sense" (album)||"Julia, (pause) however (pause - the second thunder in normal direction), in the light and visions of the issues of Stanley, (pause) we changed our mind. (pause) We have decided to include a backward message. (pause - the first thunder is in normal direction) Stanley, (pause) for you, (pause) and for all the other book (short pause) burners." ["partners" is often quoted in place of burners; this is due to Waters' speaking with a thick Scottish accent in the soundbite and his "ur" sounding like an "ar"]||Waters deliberately recorded a backward message critical of film director Stanley Kubrick, who had refused to let Waters sample breathing sounds from 2001: A Space Odyssey.|
|The White Stripes||"Walking with a Ghost"||"Get out of my mind."||During the backwards solo.|
|Akira Yamaoka||"The Reverse Will"||"Now I lay me down to sleep" / "I pray the Lord my soul to keep" / "If I should die before I wake" / "I pray the Lord my soul to take"||The track is from the video game Silent Hill 2. The backmasked message is a theme running through the entire song; the only lyrics can be heard as the prayer spoken backwards by Laura.|
|"Weird Al" Yankovic||"I Remember Larry" (album)||"Wow, you must have an awful lot of free time on your hands."||At about 3:09 to 3:19.|
|"Nature Trail to Hell" (album)||"Satan eats Cheez Whiz."||At around 3:40. The message is an intentional satire of the Satanic backmasking controversy.|
|Frank Zappa||"Hot Poop" (album)||"Better look around before you say you don't care, / Shut your fucking mouth about the length of my hair, / How would you survive / If you were alive, / Shitty little person?"||This was done by Zappa, along with The Mothers of Invention, in 1968. Appears on the original vinyl record. These lines were cut from a different track, "Mother People", and replaced with less offensive lyrics. But the original lyrics were recorded backwards into the end of "Hot Poop", though with the word "fucking" mostly cut out.|
|"Ya Hozna" (album)||Various messages, including "I am the heaven / I am the water / Ich bin deine Ritze / Ich bin deine Ritze und Schlitze", "You're a lonely little girl / But your Mommy & your Daddy don't care", "I'm like reach / I'm like squat / I'm like roll / Repeat / Like roll over / Like thrust / Okay, like pull / Like push / I'm like . . . / Okay, like . . . blow / I'm blow", "You're never too old", and "Ich bin hier / Und du bist mein Sofa"||The vocals on "Ya Hozna" song are all backwards, although the backing track and guitar are mostly forwards. The vocals are made up of distorted outtakes from "Valley Girl", "Lonely Little Girl", and "Sofa #2". The lyrics sheet reads, "backwards vocal — you figure it out". Zappa may have recorded the song as a response to the early 1980s backmasking controversy.|
- Timmis, Steve. "Random Ash Facts". Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- O'Callaghan, Bren (2004-05-25). "Ash interview". BBC. Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- "Modern Rock". Backmask Online. Archived from the original on 2006-05-26. Retrieved 2006-07-25.
- "Hard Rock/Metal/Punk". Backmask Online. Archived from the original on 2006-03-11. Retrieved 2006-07-25.
- Patterson, R. Gary (2004). Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses. Fireside. p. 174. ISBN 0-7432-4423-0.
- Olcott, Ev. "Audio Reversal In Popular Culture". Archived from the original on 2006-08-21. Retrieved 2006-08-26.
- Lennon, John; Chronicle Books LLC Staff (2000). The Beatles Anthology. Chronicle Books. pp. 212–214. ISBN 0-8118-2684-8.
- Toropov, Brandon. The Complete Idiot's Guide to... Urban Legends. Alpha Books. p. 37.
- Randall, Jeff (1995-11-28). "Beatles go back to backwards". The Daily Nebraskan. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- O'Hagan, Sean (2005-09-18). "Macca beyond". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- Between the Buried and me - Disease, Injury, Madness FULL SONG - YouTube
- "One Fierce Beer Coaster: backwards talk decoded". The Easter Egg Archive. Retrieved 2006-07-17.
- "Boards of Canada". Trouser Press. Retrieved 2006-07-24.
- Pepper Lyrics. sing365.com. http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/pepper-lyrics-butthole-surfers/1b93e4b36cc553b348256d0a00310b24 Retrieved 2011-07-18
- "Jesus Wrote a Blank Check (Cake): John McCrea". The Easter Egg Archive. Retrieved 2007-03-13.
- The Lover And The Liar Backwards - Youtube Video
- "Hate Yer State (Choking Victim): Monologue". The Easter Egg Archive. Retrieved 2006-07-17.
- "Chumbawamba: Biography". Retrieved 2006-08-25.
- (Italian) "Tutti i messaggi subliminali audio nella musica rock". Retrieved 2006-08-26.
- Waliszewski, Bob. "Chumbawamba: Tubthumper". Archived from the original on 2006-05-08. Retrieved 2006-08-25.
- (Italian) Stagetti, Costanza. "Messaggi subliminali". Retrieved 2006-08-25.
- "Dinner at Deviant's Palace (Cradle of Filth): The Lords Prayer". The Easter Egg Archive. Retrieved 2006-07-17.
- The Ritual of the Lord's Prayer Backwards
- the alt.satanism Frequently Asked Questions file
- My Band - UGO.com
- As Flittermice As Satans Spy - UGO.com
- "Darkthrone Biography/Discography". Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- High, Chris. "Subliminal song lyrics in Chris de Burgh songs?". Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- "DME Music News, May 13, 2002". Retrieved 2007-03-18.
- "Def Leppard Official Site: FAQ". Archived from the original on 2006-05-17. Retrieved 2006-07-25.
- Pierce-Toogood, Dominic. "Drowning Pool's American Dream turns to Nightmare...". Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- Dahlen, Chris. "The Dukes of Stratosphear: 25 O'Clock". Retrieved 2009-04-02.
- "Electric Light Orchestra Secret Messages". Retrieved 2006-07-27.
- "Classic Rock". Backmask Online. Archived from the original on 2006-05-26. Retrieved 2006-07-25.
- DPRP : Counting Out Time : Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado
- Milner, Jeff. "Jeff Milner's Backmasking Site". Retrieved 2006-08-19.
- Poundstone, William (1986). "Backward Messages on Records". Bigger Secrets. Retrieved 2006-08-19.
- "Secret Messages (Electric Light Orchestra): Secret Messages". The Easter Egg Archive. Retrieved 2006-07-17.
- "Rap/HipHop". Backmask Online. Archived from the original on 2006-03-11. Retrieved 2006-07-25.
- "Stimulate by Eminem". Songfacts. Retrieved 2007-02-06.
- Music: Enigma, Le Roi Est Mort, Vive le Roi!.
- Music: Enigma, The Screen Behind the Mirror.
- This City Never Sleeps - UGO.com
- "The 4th (Filter): Richard Patrick and Rae DiLeo Credits". The Easter Egg Archive. Retrieved 2007-03-13.
- McDonald, Toby. "Why Franz Ferdinand are sublime". Retrieved 2006-09-04.
- Elephant Talk FAQ
- Album details at debaser.it (in Italian)
- Rand, Chris. "Christian Rock Concert".
- Kloczko, Chris (2001-07-09). "Interviews: Iced Earth". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- "Incubus Questions". 2006-08-31. Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- The Governor (2005-09-21). "Backwards Messages in Rock Music — Revealed!". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- Harland, Kurt. "Don't Be Afraid". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- Echo Side - UGO.com
- "The Iron Maiden Commentary". Archived from the original on 2006-06-18. Retrieved 2006-08-19.
- Narinian, Vartan. "The Iron Maiden FAQ Part 1".
- "Jay Chou FAQ". Retrieved 2006-06-21.
- Journey FAQ - question #2.15
- "Judas Priest's Lead Singer Testifies". New York Times. 1990-08-01. Retrieved 2007-04-20.
- Album Discography Carnival Of Souls - KissFAQ-Wiki
- "Shoots And Ladders by KoRn Songfacts". Songfacts. Retrieved 2006-07-23.
- "Lacuna Coil - Frequently Asked Questions". Retrieved 2006-08-23.
- Minner, Dennis. "Linkin Park Reanimation Review – Christian Perspective". Archived from the original on 2006-11-25. Retrieved 2006-08-25.
- "Announcement Service Public by Linkin Park". Songfacts. Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "Marilyn Manson Sampling & Backmasking". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- "The Mars Volta FAQ". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- "Bob & Doug McKenzie". Mark Prindle's Record Reviews. Retrieved 2007-07-25.
- Mew - New Terrain
- Moby - Machete
- "Motörhead: 1916". Retrieved 2006-08-26.
- Kennedy, Heather Leah. "Mr. Bungle Frequently Asked Questions". Retrieved 2006-08-26.
- "Hidden Lyrics in Big Hoops".
- "Sentient 6 backwards lyrics reversed".
- "Oasis - Be Here Now (CD Review)". Retrieved 2007-03-18.
- "Cry of the Vatos". Everything2. Retrieved 2006-08-26.
- Stokes, Paul. "Experiments in the paranoid mind". Retrieved 2006-07-28.
- Bloodbath In Paradise - UGO.com
- "Renholder by A Perfect Circle". Songfacts. Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- "You're Devotion by Pilot". Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- Patterson, R. Gary (2004). Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses. Fireside. p. 186. ISBN 0-7432-4423-0.
- Solotaroff, Ivan (1994). "The Dreamer Deceiver: The Reno Trial of Judas Priest". No Success Like Failure: The American Love of Self-Destruction, Self-Aggrandizement, and Breaking Even. Sheep Meadow. p. 33. ISBN 1-878818-31-7.
- Urick, Brett. "Empty Spaces". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- "The Plasmatics discography, Part III". Retrieved 2006-06-25.[dead link]
- Battista, Nicola. "(rumori) Star Wars Breakbeats". Retrieved 2006-08-26.
- "Rutles, The: The 5th Rutle – George Harrison!". The Easter Egg Archive. Retrieved 2006-08-26.
- TENACIOUS D: Tenacious D (Epic)
- "Tenacious FAQs". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- "Comedy". Backmask Online. Archived from the original on 2006-04-27. Retrieved 2006-07-25.
- "Ghost Tigers Frequently Asked Questions". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- Smith, Matt (2006-04-20). "Flipmojo". Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- "All About Steve".
- Amused To Death Trivia
- Wolk, Douglas (2005-12-21). "Red and White Catechism". Seattle Weekly. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Silent Hill 4 FAQs". 2005-05-21. Retrieved 2007-02-03.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic Frequently Asked Questions
- Pacholski, Luke. "We're Only In It for the Money". Retrieved 2006-07-29.
- "Freshest Freshlist". Backmask Online. Archived from the original on 2006-08-19. Retrieved 2006-08-24.
- Albertos, Román García. "Them Or Us". Retrieved 2006-08-23.
- Sweet, Rob; Robbert Heederik (1995-09-01). "alt.fan.frank-zappa FAQ, version 2.2". Retrieved 2007-04-07.
- Starostin, George. "Frank Zappa". Retrieved 2007-04-07.