List of bank robbers and robberies
This is a list of famous bank robberies, bank robbers and gangs involved in bank robberies.
- 1 Australia
- 2 Austria
- 3 Belgium
- 4 Brazil
- 5 Canada
- 6 China
- 7 Colombia
- 8 Denmark
- 9 Finland
- 10 France
- 11 Georgia
- 12 Germany
- 13 India
- 14 Iraq
- 15 Republic of Ireland
- 16 Italy
- 17 Japan
- 18 Lebanon
- 19 Malta
- 20 Netherlands
- 21 Nigeria
- 22 Philippines
- 23 Pakistan
- 24 Poland
- 25 Norway
- 26 Romania
- 27 Russia
- 28 Slovenia
- 29 Serbia
- 30 South Africa
- 31 Sweden
- 32 United Kingdom
- 33 United States
- 34 Uruguay
- 35 Notes
- 36 References
- Brenden Abbott
- Darcy Dugan
- Keith Faure
- Frank Gardiner–Ben Hall gang
- Edward "Ned" Kelly
- Gregory David Roberts
- Ronald Ryan
- Andrew George Scott (Captain Moonlite)
- Squizzy Taylor
- Bank of Australia robbery, 1828, £14,000 in promissory notes and coins.
- 1984 Sydney bank robbery and hostage crisis
turd burglers me
- Antwerp Diamond Heist - February 16, 2003 .Almost $100 million worth of diamonds, gold and other jewellery were stolen from the high security underground vaults of Antwerp World Diamond Centre by a 5-man team. In a disciplined, sophisticated manner, they carefully planned and covered all possible loopholes before its execution by training themselves in a replica of the vault. They started their plot months before the heist by renting a space and starting a trading business to blend in.
- Brussels Airport diamond heist - February 18, 2013. Robbers escaped with US$50 million worth of diamonds (belonging, again, to the Antwerp World Diamond Centre) stolen from a Swiss-bound Fokker 100 at Brussels Airport.
- Banco Central burglary at Fortaleza – 2005, the largest bank robbery in Brazil and one of the largest in history (US$70.1 million)
- Embraforte burglary at Belo Horizonte - 2010. The robbers escaped with approximately US$25 million stolen from a cash transportation company
- Japeri Train Robbery - 1960. A major train robbery in Brazil, which occurred in a rural area of the municipality of Japeri, in the state of Rio de Janeiro.
- Pinheiro Preto Train Robbery - 1909.
- The Boyd Gang
- Roger Caron
- Ty Conn
- Front de libération du Québec
- Kevin Pinto - the Exchange Bandit
- Monica Proietti
- Stopwatch Gang
- Paddy Mitchell
- Stephen Reid
- Agricultural Bank of China robbery, March–April 2007 the largest bank robbery in China's history (51 million yuan, US$6.7 million).
- Bank of the Republic (Colombia) robbery – On October 16 and 17, 1994, $24 075 million pesos (US$28.8 million ) cash was extracted from the Bank in the city of Valledupar, Colombia. The money was in non-circulating bills of $2000, $5000 and $10000 pesos denominations. The bank had the serial number of every bill stolen.
The first bank robbery in Denmark occurred August 18, 1913 in the bank Sparekassen for København og Omegn at Østerbro in Copenhagen. It was carried out by two men, Danish salesman Lindorff Larsen and a German machinist Güttig, armed with revolvers, the two got away with 9000 Danish kroner. Güttig was arrested August 30 and Lindorff Larsen committed suicide after having fled the police.
The largest bank robbery in Denmark was carried out against the security firm Dansk Værdihåndtering in Brøndby at 5.30 AM on August 10, 2008. The robbers, who were armed with AK-47 assault rifles, got away with 62 million Danish kroner, after having knocked down a wall with a bulldozer. The robbery involved elaborate plans to obstruct the police from arriving at the scene, among other things 11 garbage trucks were set on fire and placed on routes from the nearest police stations to the scene of the crime and caltrops were placed on other key routes. The robbers used 3 getaway cars, which they afterwards parked in containers at an abandoned gravel pit for a later pickup, but the police managed to discover their placement, and following a continued surveillance of the area arrested 3 men of Swedish nationality that appeared at the scene a few days later to pick up the cars. All in all 15 persons of a variety of nationalities and ethnicities, but mainly tied to the Swedish crime scene, were sentenced to prison for a total of 110 years. Only 4 million of the 62 million Danish kroner has been recovered to date.
- Red Army Faction
- Andreas Baader
- Gladbeck hostage crisis after a DM 300.000 bank-robbery by Dieter Degowski and Hans-Jürgen Rösner on August 16, 1988
- Chelembra bank robbery, 2007, 80 kilograms of gold and 2,500,000 rupees, a total value of 80 million Indian Rupees.
- Central Bank of Iraq, March 18, 2003 - Considered the largest bank robbery in history. Hours after the start of the Iraq War, Saddam Hussein orders his sons Qusay and Uday to steal nearly US$1 billion cash from the bank.[Note 1]
- Dar Es Salaam Bank in Baghdad—About US$300 million is stolen on July 12, 2007 by the bank's security guards, but mostly recovered later.
- Al-Rafidain in Baghdad, July 28, 2009 - One of Iraq's biggest-ever heists. Thieves made off with at least US$3.8 million in a pre-dawn raid on a branch of the state-owned bank in the shopping district of Karrada that left 8 police guards dead.
- Al-Rafidain Bank, al-Mishkhab, 20 miles south of Najaf-About US$5.5 million is stolen.
Republic of Ireland
- Valerio Viccei (convicted of Knightsbridge Security Deposit robbery)
- 300 million yen robbery, 1968.
- 540 million yen robbery incident in Fukutoku Bank Kobe branch, August 1994.
- 600 million yen robbery incident in Tachikawa, Tokyo, May 2011。
- The British Bank of the Middle East in January 1976 in Beirut £25 million the equivalent of £100 million today. This bank robbery was executed by the PLO.
- HSBC, 2007, 1 million Euros
- The Museon Museum Jewel Heist
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol The biggest jewel and diamond heist in Dutch history at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, where 75 million euros worth of jewels and diamonds was stolen from a secured cargo area. The robbers threatened security employees with guns and drove away in a money transport truck.
- Alvin Flores Gang
- Kuratong Baleleng Gang
- ABL Karachi,December 13, 2009, 301 Million Rs
KARACHI: In the biggest bank robbery in Pakistan’s history, foreign currency worth Rs301 million was looted from the Allied Bank Limited (ABL)’s head office on II Chundrigar Road here on Sunday morning. Earlier, the looted amount was projected as being over Rs500 million.
- Wołów bank robbery - the largest.
- Kredyt Bank in Warsaw, March 3, 2001 - The bandits have stolen 100 thousand złoty's and shooting three cashiers and a security guard. Three criminals were sentenced to life imprisonment.
On the night of October 31 2005 robbers entered the safety deposit boxes of SKB Bank (Societe Generale) in Ljubljana through the main door and deactivated the alarm system. Disarmed the security guard and opened more than 400 safety deposit boxes. They took at least 32.000.000,00 EUR in gold, precious stones and cash. In March 2012 two robbers were arrested. One of them was a security guard at the bank. The Court process against two robbers started in November 2013. At least one robber is still free.
- The Norrmalmstorg Robbery
- Västberga helicopter robbery, 2009, helicopter robbery of a cash depot in southern Stockholm
- John Ausonius – The Laser Man killer and convicted bank robber.
- Croydon Airport, 1935, members of the Sabini gang stole £12 million (at today's value) worth of gold bullion.
- Heathrow Airport, 1948, Jack Spot's attempted heist of £500,000 (£15million at 2013 value) of gold bullion and valuables foiled through the intervention of the Flying Squad.
- Eastcastle Street, 1952, Billy Hill's postal van robbery, netted £250,000.
- Great Train Robbery, 1963, Buster Edwards, Charlie Wilson, Bruce Reynolds, Ronnie Biggs etc. robbed £2.6million.
- Linwood bank robbery, 1969, two policemen killed.
- Baker Street robbery, 1971, London, politically sensitive material taken from safe deposit boxes.
- Bank of America robbery, 1975, Mayfair, London. £8 million stolen; £500,000 recovered.
- Security Express, 1983, Curtain Road, Shoreditch, the Knight brothers and friends took £6m.
- Brink's-MAT robbery, 1983, Heathrow Airport, England, £26 million gold bullion.
- Knightsbridge Security Deposit robbery, 1987, £40 million. Gang leader Valerio Viccei caught when he returned to the country.
- Loughton incinerator thefts, 1988–92, more than £600,000 stolen from the Bank of England's incinerator plant in Loughton over a four-year period.
- City of London financial messenger mugged for £292m in government bonds, 1990. All but two recovered.
- Graff Jewellers 1, 2003, £23m in jewellery taken from this Mayfair store.
- Northern Bank robbery, 2004, Belfast, Northern Ireland, £26 million.
- Securitas depot robbery, 2006, Kent, South East England, £53,116,760.
- Graff Jewellers 2, 2009, Another £40m in jewellery taken.
- Clyde Barrow, of Bonnie and Clyde
- Naomi Betts
- Black Liberation Army
- James J. Bulger
- Butch Cassidy, leader of the Hole in the Wall Gang
- William Daddano Sr.
- Emmett Dalton, principal of the Dalton Gang, 1890s
- Bennie Dickson
- Stella Mae Dickson
- The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord
- John Dillinger
- Bill Doolin, 1890s
- Earl Durand
- Charles Arthur "Pretty Boy" Floyd
- Geezer bandit
- Granddad Bandit
- Patty Hearst
- J.L. Hunter
- James-Younger Gang, 1866–1881
- Frank James, one of the two James Brothers
- Jesse James, the other member of the James Brothers pair
- Philip N. Johnson, $18.8 million of Loomis-Fargo's Jacksonville. FL Office.
- Alvin Karpis
- Tom Ketchum
- Harry Longabaugh, known as "The Sundance Kid"
- Candice Rose Martinez, "The Cell Phone Bandit"
- Emil Matasareanu & Larry Eugene Phillips, Jr., North Hollywood shootout
- Mad Hatter (bank robber), 2006–2007
- May 19th Communist Organization
- McCanles gang, 1861
- Midwest Bank Robbers, 1990s
- Vernon Miller*Bugs Moran
- Frank Nash
- George "Baby Face" Nelson
- Albert Frederick Nussbaum
- Joseph "Specs" O'Keefe
- Reno Gang
- Kenneth "Speedy" Raulerson
- Stanley Mark Rifkin, $10.2 million in 1978, the largest in U.S. history at the time
- Leslie Ibsen Rogge robbed a total of $2,000,000
- Scott "Hollywood" Scurlock
- Mutulu Shakur
- Luke Elliott Sommer
- Henry Starr
- Willie "The Actor" Sutton
- Symbionese Liberation Army
- The Order (group)
- Stephen Trantel aka "The Long Island Bank Robber", New York commodities broker who robbed 10 banks from July through November 2003, after losing his six-figure job. He netted just over $60,000 from the 10 bank robberies, was unarmed, and no one was injured during the commission of the crimes. He was featured on 48 Hours ("Stolen Dreams", 2008), Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry? ("Keeping Up Appearances" (2010)), and the 2011 American Greed debut ("Case File: Bank Robbing Broker"); he is also the subject of an upcoming book
- Trenchcoat Robbers – 1997 $4.46M cash
- United Freedom Front
- Bobby Randell Wilcoxson
- John Wojtowicz
- Adam Worth
- Robberies (chronological)
- United States Trust Company theft, 1934
- Bank of the Manhattan Company theft, 1935, same gang as the United States Trust Company theft one month earlier, $1.462 million in U.S. Government securities (largest to that date)
- Great Brink's Robbery, 1950, $2.78 million in cash, cheques and securities (largest value robbery to that date)
- United California Bank robbery, 1972, safe deposit boxes looted of approximately $30 million in cash and valuables (largest value in world to that date)
- Lufthansa heist, 1978, $5 million in cash (largest cash to that date) and $875,000 in jewels
- Security Pacific Bank, Norco, California, 1980, deadly shootout between local law enforcement and five bank robbers
- Brink's robbery, 1981, deadly shootout between local law enforcement and 10+ bank robbers populated with members of two revolutionary organizations
- Sentry Armored Car Company, 1982, 11 million in cash. (Was the basis for the 2013 film Empire State)
- White Eagle, 1983, $7.2 million in cash
- 1986 FBI Miami shootout, 1986, deadly shootout between FBI and two bank robbers
- North Hollywood shootout, 1997, deadly shootout between local law enforcement and two bank robbers
- 1997 Loomis Fargo Robbery in Florida by Philip N. Johnson, March 1997, $18.8 million in cash
- Dunbar Armored robbery, September 1997, $18.9 million in cash (the current U.S. cash robbery record)
- 1997 Loomis Fargo Robbery in North Carolina, October 1997, $17.3 million in cash
- 1998 Bank of America robbery, $1.6 million cash
- 2013 $45-million ATM cyber looting, $45 million cash
- Some sources  consider this to be a legal withdrawal rather than a robbery.
- "Brussels diamond robbery nets gigantic haul". bbc.co.uk. February 19, 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Diamond heist at Brussels airport nets gang up to £30m in gems". guardian.co.uk. February 19, 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- Axel Breidahl & Axel Kjerulf, Københavnerglimt - 1912 - 1920, 1938, p. 41.
- Jyllandsposten.dk, "Sådan foregik danmarkshistoriens største røveri", March 7 2010
- B.T., "Seks dømt i Danmarks- historiens største røveri", January 19 2012
- Iraq (AFP) Eight dead, US$3.8 million missing in Baghdad bank heist
- Ngân hàng Iraq mất $5 triệu sau khi lính canh bị cho uống thuốc ngủ (Vietnamese)
- 1976: Bank robbers jailed for 100 years, BBC News, On this day
- High-profile heists , BBC News, High-profile heists
- "The Ultimate Heist". Time. November 20, 1978.
- "American Greed 2011 Debut Features The Story of Stephen Trantel, Bank Robbing Broker"
- Kotlowitz, Alex (July 8, 2002). "THE TRENCHCOAT ROBBERS". New Yorker. Retrieved September 7, 2010.