List of banks in the United Kingdom
Independent British retail banks
The table shows the main independent British retail banks, in order of market capitalisation. The list is quite short as British banking has been highly consolidated since the early 20th century. Unlike some other major economies, the UK does not have a major stratum of independent local banks. The list shrank further during 2008: Northern Rock was nationalised by the UK Government (and is now owned by Virgin Money), followed by Bradford & Bingley; Alliance & Leicester was acquired by Santander, who own Abbey. Lloyds TSB plc announced, on 18 September 2008, a confirmed agreement to take over HBOS plc.
|Bank||Headquarters||Market value (£bn)
4 October 2013
|Total Assets (£bn)
As of 30 June 2012
|HSBC||Canary Wharf, (London, England )||126.3||1,677|
|Lloyds Banking Group†||City of London, (London, England )||53.5 ||955|
|Royal Bank of Scotland Group††||Edinburgh, (Edinburgh, Scotland )||42||1,405|
|Barclays||Canary Wharf, (London, England )||43.6||1,620|
|Standard Chartered||City of London, (London, England )||36.7||395|
- † Includes Lloyds Bank, Bank of Scotland and TSB Bank. The UK government owns a minority stake of 25% of the Lloyds Banking Group, with the bank remaining in the private sector.
- †† Includes National Westminster Bank, the Royal Bank of Scotland and Ulster Bank. The UK government owns a controlling stake of 84% of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS)'s ordinary shares, but the bank remains nominally independent of government
The retail and commercial banking markets are dominated by HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds Banking Group, Royal Bank of Scotland Group and Spanish-owned Santander (most of these companies operate more than one banking brand in the UK). The fifth major UK-based bank, Standard Chartered, operates primarily in Asia and Africa.
There are a number of banking businesses owned by retail groups, such as:
- Co-operative Bank owned by The Co-operative Group.
- Harrods Bank owned by Harrods, a department store in London.
- Sainsbury's Bank: owned by British supermarket company Sainsbury's.
- Tesco Bank: owned by British supermarket company Tesco.
- M&S Bank owned by the British department and supermarket chain Marks & Spencer, operated through HSBC.
There are a small number of independent specialist or local banks. A full list is maintained by the Bank of England.
Many of these are just a small fraction of the size of the smallest of the banks in the table above. These include:
- Airdrie Savings Bank
- Arbuthnot Latham
- C. Hoare & Co
- CAF Bank (a bank for charities provided by Charities Aid Foundation)
- Charity Bank (a bank which is also a charity and supports other charities)
- Close Brothers Group
- Duncan Lawrie Bank
- Julian Hodge Bank
- N M Rothschild & Sons
- Raphaels Bank
- Secure Trust Bank
- Unity Trust Bank (a bank supporting social enterprise)
There is also a government-run savings bank called National Savings and Investments.
The other main class of consumer financial service organisation in the United Kingdom is the building society, but the building society sector is much smaller than it used to be as many major building societies demutualised in the 1980s and 1990s and there has also been ongoing consolidation via mergers between societies. Halifax (now part of Lloyds Banking Group) and Abbey (now owned by Santander) were the two largest building societies. The remaining building societies which demutualised have all subsequently lost their independence, either through nationalisation or acquisition by other banks. See Building society for a list of the remaining building societies. Out of the remaining building societies, only Nationwide would be large enough to appear in the above table if it were a bank.
UK retail banking brands owned by foreign banks
- Allied Irish Bank (GB): owned by AIB Group of the Republic of Ireland.
- Bank of Baroda (UK): owned by Bank of Baroda of India. Branches in City of London, Ilford, Tooting, Kenton, Wembley, Southall, Aldgate, Birmingham, Leicester and Manchester.
- Bank of China (UK): owned by Bank of China. Branches in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow.
- Zenith Bank UK.
- Adam and Co Private Bank: owned by Adam and Company North Cyprus.
- Bank of Ireland: based in the Republic of Ireland. One of the leading banks in Northern Ireland, and present in Great Britain to a lesser extent.
- Chartered Trust Bank: owned by Adam and Company North Cyprus.
- Citibank (UK): owned by Citigroup of the United States
- Clydesdale Bank: owned by National Australia Bank.
- Eg by Industrial and Commercial Bank of China.
- ICICI Bank: owned by ICICI Bank of India.
- Danske Bank (formerly Northern Bank): owned by Danske Bank of Denmark.
- Punjab National Bank: owned by Punjab National Bank of India. Branches in City of London, Ilford, Southall, Wembley, Birmingham, Leicester and Wolverhampton.
- Santander (formerly Abbey, Alliance & Leicester and Bradford & Bingley): owned by Banco Santander of Spain.
- Silicon Valley Bank UK: owned by Silicon Valley Bank of the United States
- State Bank of India (UK): owned by State Bank of India. Branches in City of London, Birmingham, Coventry, Golders Green, Harrow, Southall, East Ham, Leicester, Manchester and Wolverhampton.
- Svenska Handelsbanken AB: owned by Handelsbanken of Sweden.
- The Bank of East Asia, UK Branch. Branches in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
- Yorkshire Bank: owned by National Australia Bank.
- Bank of India: owned by Bank of India.
- 2008 United Kingdom bank rescue package
- 2009 United Kingdom bank rescue package
- Banking in the United Kingdom
- Building society
- List of building societies in the United Kingdom
- "Lloyds TSB confirms deal to take over HBOS". 2008-09-18. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- "Recommended acquisition of HBOS plc by Lloyds TSB Group plc" (PDF). Lloyds TSB. 2008-09-17. Retrieved 2008-09-18.[dead link]
- BBC News: HBOS confirms Lloyds merger talks; Guardian: Banking crisis: Lloyds TSB in talks to buy HBOS
- "Banks in UK". Banks Around the World. Retrieved 20 November 2009.
- "USD/GBP". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "HSBC Holdings plc". Bloomberg. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Lloyds Banking Group plc". Bloomberg. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc". Bloomberg. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Barclays plc". Bloomberg. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Standard Chartered plc". Bloomberg. 12 September 2013. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "RBS shares plunge on record loss". BBC News. 19 January 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- Bank of England Prudential Regulation Authority - Banks & building societies list
- List of active banks in the United Kingdom with swift codes
- Consequences of Abbey's potential of Alliance and Leicester
- BBA - British Bankers' Association - BBA Member Banks
- Bank of England Prudential Regulation Authority - Banks & building societies list (updated monthly)
- Bank Opening Times in the United Kingdom