List of battles 1301–1800
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of battles 1401–1800)
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (January 2009)|
- 1 Early 14th century (1301-50)
- 2 Late 14th century (1351-1400)
- 3 Early 15th century (1401–50)
- 4 Late 15th century (1451–1500)
- 5 Early 16th century (1501–50)
- 6 Late 16th century (1551–1600)
- 7 Early 17th century (1601–50)
- 8 Late 17th century (1651–1700)
- 9 Early 18th century (1701–50)
- 10 Late 18th century (1751–1800)
- 11 External links
Early 14th century (1301-50)
|1302||Battle of the Golden Spurs||11 July – In Flanders, Flemish burghers led by William of Jülich and Pieter de Coninck defeat French knights.|
|1302||Battle of Bapheus||27 July – The founder of the Ottoman Dynasty Osman I defeats a Byzantine force.|
|1303||Battle of Dimbos||Ottomans defeat Byzantine governors.|
|1304||Second Siege of Stirling Castle||April – July – Edward I besieges the Scots successfully. The Warwolf siege engine is constructed and first used during this battle.|
|1304||Battle of Mons-en-Pévèle||17 August – Lowland rebels defeat the French under King Philip IV. The French claim victory, as they remained in possession of the battlefield while suffering the heavier losses.|
|1306||Battle of Methven||Forces of the Earl of Pembroke defeat newly crowned Robert the Bruce and his small Scottish army.|
|1307||Battle of Loudon Hill||Scots under Robert Bruce defeat the greater English army.|
|1311||Battle of Halmyros||15 March – Catalan Company defeats Walter V of Brienne of Athens and goes on to capture Athens and Thebes.|
|1313||Battle of Gamelsdorf||9 November – Louis the Bavarian defeats his cousin Frederick I of Austria.|
|1314||Battle of Bannockburn||Robert the Bruce defeats Edward II, takes Stirling Castle and secures Scottish independence.|
|1315||Battle of Montecatini||29 August – Pisa defeats allied forces of Florence and the Kingdom of Naples.|
|1315||Battle of Morgarten||15 November – Swiss defeat Leopold I, Archduke of Austria decisively.|
|1316||Battle of Picotin||22 February – Ferdinand of Majorca defeats Matilda of Hainaut and the Achaean barons loyal to her.|
|1316||Battle of Manolada||5 July – Louis of Burgundy defeats the Majorcans, Ferdinand of Majorca is slain.|
|1316||Second Battle of Athenry||10 August – English defeated the Irish under Felim O'Connor, King of Connacht.|
|1318||Battle of Dysert O'Dea||Irish under Ó Deághaidh defeat the English Lordship.|
|1318||Battle of Faughart||English defeated a Scots-Irish army under Edward Bruce, who is slain.|
|1319||Battle of Chios||The Knights Hospitaller and the Genoese of the Lordship of Chios score a crushing victory over an Aydinid fleet.|
|1322||Battle of Bliska||A coalition of Croatian noblemen defeat Mladen II Šubić of Bribir, Ban of Croatia.|
|1322||Battle of Burton Bridge||English Royal forces defeat a rebel English army.|
|1322||Battle of Boroughbridge||English Royal forces defeat a rebel English army fighting for the Scots.|
|1322||Battle of Mühldorf||28 September – Louis the Bavarian defeats and captures Frederick I of Austria.|
|1325||Battle of Zappolino||Communal struggle between Bologna and Modena, which emerges victorious|
|1325||Battle of Varey||Vienne under Guigues de la Tour-du-Pin defeat the Savoyards.|
|1328||Battle of Cassel||French under Philip VI defeat a revolting Flemish peasant army, killing their leaders.|
|1329||Battle of Pelekanon||10 June – The second ruler of the Ottoman Dynasty, Orhan I, defeats the Byzantine emperor Andronicus III.|
|1329||Battle of Ardnocher||Irish force led by William MacGeoghegan defeats English army under Thomas Butler, who is killed.|
|1330||Battle of Posada||9 November – Basarab I of Wallachia defeats Charles I of Hungary.|
|1330||Battle of Fiodh an Atha||Ualgarg O'Rourke is defeated by the English.|
|1332||Battle of Dupplin Moor||English supporting Edward Balliol, Scottish pretender, defeated the Scots.|
|1332||Battle of Płowce||27 September- Poland's Ladislas IV Lokietek defeats Teutonic Knights.|
|1333||Battle of Halidon Hill||19 July – Edward III of England avenges Bannockburn.|
|1336||Battle of Minatogawa||Kusunoki Masashige, obeying Emperor Go-Daigo's orders, leads an imperial army into a disastrous defeat by the Ashikaga. Kusunoki commits suicide.|
|1337||Battle of Cadsand||English defeated pro-French garrison of Cadsand in Flanders.|
|1337||Siege of Kanagasaki||Ashikaga victory during Nanboku-cho Wars.|
|1338||naval battle of Arnemuiden||French victory over the English fleet.|
|1340||Battle of Parabiago||Rebel Lodrisio Visconti is defeated by the Visconti of Milan's army.|
|1340||Battle of Sluys||24 June – Edward III beats the Franco-Genoese fleet of Philip VI of France off the coast of Flanders and gains control of the English Channel.|
|1340||Battle of Saint-Omer||26 July – Anglo-Flemish force driven back from the town by a French army.|
|1340||Battle of Rio Salado||30 October – Alfonso XI of Castile and Alfonso IV of Portugal defeat the Marinid under Sultan Abul-Hassan and the Granadine under King Yusuf I.|
|1341||Battle of Champtoceaux||13 October −16 October – Begins Breton War of Succession.|
|1342||Battle of Brest||18 August – English fleets defeats Genoese mercenaries.|
|1342||Battle of Morlaix||Besieged by the English, a French relief army broke the siege of Morlaix. When the English retreated into a wood, the French withdrew.|
|1344||Battle of Stephaniana||May – Turks from the Emirate of Aydin defeat a Serbian army in northern Greece.|
|1345||Battle of Auberoche||English relief army lifted a siege by the French.|
|1345||Battle of Gamenario||Ghibelline Asti and John II of Montferrat defeat the Neapolitan Guelph League army.|
|1345||Battle of Lough Neagh||Naval battle between Hugh O'Neill and the Clann Hugh Buidhe.|
|1345||Battle of Peritheorion||7 July – A Byzantine-Turkish army under John VI Kantakouzenos and Umur Bey defeats and kills the renegade lord Momchil in the Rhodope.|
|1345||Battle of Warns||Frisians defeat Dutch invasion force led by William IV, Count of Holland.|
|1345||Siege of Kaffa (Second)||1345-46 The Golden Horde again lays siege to the Genoese city of Kaffa on the Black Sea, but withdraws due to the Black Death.|
|1346||Battle of Calry Lough Gill||O Rourke soundly defeated by the O Connors.|
|1346||Battle of St-Pol-de-Leon||English defeated the French.|
|1346||Battle of Caen||English force captured and sacked the town.|
|1346||Battle of Blanchetaque||English under Edward III crossed the Somme.|
|1346||Battle of Crécy||26 August – English longbowmen defeat French cavalry at Abbeville.|
|1346||Battle of Neville's Cross||English defeated the Scots under King David Bruce.|
|1347||Siege of Calais||4 September 1346 – 3 August 1347 – English forces capture the city.|
|1347||Battle of Porta San Lorenzo||(Rome) – November – The people of Rome defeat the baronal troops of Stefano Colonna.|
|1347||Battle of La Roche-Derrien||English relief army lifted a French siege.|
|1349||Battle of Lunalonge||Anglo-Gascons held the upper hand during the day over the French but the Anglo-Gascons had to withdraw during the night.|
|1349||Battle of Llucmajor||25 October – James IV of Majorca defeated and killed by troops of Aragon.|
|1350||Les Espagnols sur Mer||English fleet defeats Castilian fleet.|
Late 14th century (1351-1400)
|1351||Combat of the Thirty||Thirty French knights from Chateau Josselin under Jean de Beaumanoir call out and defeat thirty English knights under Robert Bemborough.|
|1351||Battle of Saintes||English relief army lifted a French siege.|
|1351||Battle of Ardres||French defeated the English.|
|1352||Battle of Mauron||Anglo-Bretons defeated the French.|
|1354||Battle of Sapienza||Genoans destroy Venetian fleet.|
|1356||Baile Loch Deacair||in south Connacht|
|1356||Battle of Poitiers||25 October – Edward the Black Prince captures King John II of France, France plunges into chaos.|
|1358||Battle of Mello||Army of French nobles crushes the peasant Jacquerie.|
|1361||Battle of Wisby||Danish defeated the Swedish.|
|1362||Battle of Helsingborg – Danish-German War|
|1362||Battle of Brignais||6 April – Free Companies defeat the French.|
|1364||Battle of Cocherel||16 May – French defeat Gascon-Navarrese-English.|
|1364||Battle of Cascina||28 July – Battle between Republics of Pisa and Florence.|
|1364||Battle of Auray||29 September – End of Breton War of Succession English defeat Franco-Bretons.|
|1365||Battle of Adrianople||Capture by Ottoman Turks|
|1367||Battle of Nájera||English under the Black Prince and Don Pedro of Castile defeated the Franco-Castilians.|
|1369||Battle of Montiel||Franco-Castilians under King Henry II of Castile defeated Portuguese-Marinids-Grenadines-Jews under Don Pedro of Castile.|
|1370||Battle of Pontvallain||French victory against English|
|1371||Battle of Baesweiler||Edward, Count of Guelders and William II, Duke of Jülich defeat Wenceslaus, Duke of Brabant.|
|1371||Battle of Maritsa||26 September – Serbs under their ruler Vukashin were defeated by an Ottoman force.|
|1372||Battle of La Rochelle||Naval battle. Castilian fleet defeats the English fleet. English sea dominance destroyed.|
|1373||Battle of Chiset (Chizai)||French defeated an English relief army trying to lift the siege of Chiset.|
|1377||Cesena Bloodbath||2,500/5,000 inhabitants of the Italian city of Cesena are slaughtered by Papal troops led by John Hawkwood during the War of the Eight Saints.|
|1377||Battle on Pyana River||The Russian troops are defeated, while their commander drowns in the river.|
|1377||Battle of Dubravnica||Moravian Serbia defeated the Ottoman Empire.|
|1380||Battle of Kulikovo||Dmitri Donskoy of Moscow halts the Mongols.|
|1381||Battle of North Walsham||Forces led by Henry le Despenser defeat the rebels of Norfolk at the end of the English Peasants' Revolt.|
|1382||Battle of Roosebeke||French and Castilian forces under King Charles VI of France defeated Flemish and English forces.|
|1383||Trian Chongail||Hugh O Neill and Robin Savage kill each other in a cavalry charge.|
|1384||Battle of Atoleiros||6 April – Nuno Alvares Pereira (Portuguese general) defeats Castile.|
|1385||Tochar Cruachain-Bri-Ele||O Conchobhair, King of Ui Falighe, soundly defeats the English of Meath.|
|1385||Battle of Trancoso||An army sent by John I of Castile is defeated by the Portuguese.|
|1385||Battle of Aljubarrota||14 August – Portugal maintains independence from Castile, John I establishes Avis dynasty.|
|1385||Battle of Valverde||14 October – A Portuguese army defeated a Castilian army.|
|1385||Battle of Savra||Serbian forces under Balša II and Ivaniš Mrnjavčević were defeated by Ottoman commander Hayreddin Pasha near Berat.|
|1386||Battle of Sempach||9 July Swiss defeat Leopold III of Austria.|
|1386||Battle of Pločnik||Serbian victory and first serious defeat for the Ottoman army in the Balkans.|
|1387||Battle of Castagnaro||11 March – Giovanni Ordelaffi and Ostasio da Polenta, for Verona, defeated by John Hawkwood and Francesco Novello Carraresi, for Padua.|
|1388||Battle of Otterburn||19 August English defeated in Scottish/English border dispute.|
|1388||Battle of Bileća||27 August Bosnians and Serbians defeat the Ottomans.|
|1389||Battle of Kosovo Polje||A Turkish army gathered by Murad I and a Serbian army under Knez Lazar beat each other into the ground. The battle was a draw, yet in the wake of it the Serbs were left with too few men to effectively defend their lands, while the Turks had many more troops in the east. Both Lazar and Murad lost their lives in the battle.|
|1391||Battle of Alessandria||Paduan army under John Hawkwood defeats Veronese under Giovanni Ordelaffi.|
|1394||Ros-mic-Triuin||King of Leinster attacks and defeats the English.|
|1394||Battle of Rovine||10 October – Mircea cel Batrin the voievod of Wallachia defeated Beyazid I, sultan of the Ottoman Empire.|
|1395||Battle of Portomaggiore||16 April – Astorre I Manfredi for the Republic of Venice and Niccolò III d'Este beat Ferrarese rebel Azzo X d'Este.|
|1396||Battle of the North Inch||Scottish clan battle|
|1396||Battle of Nicopolis||25 September – French-Hungarian crusade defeated by the Ottoman Empire|
|1399||Battle of Tragh-Bhaile||The Anglo-Irish defeat the sons of Henry O Neill.|
|1399||Battle of the Vorskla River||Vytautas the Great of Lithuania is defeated by generals of Tamerlane.|
Early 15th century (1401–50)
- Battle of Casalecchio – 26 January – Alberico da Barbiano for Milan defeats Bolognese–Florentine army under Muzio Attendolo.
- Battle of Bryn Glas – 22 June – English army routed in mid-Wales; Owain Glyndŵr's revolt spreads.
- Battle of Angora or Battle of Ankara – 20 July – Timur defeats and captures Ottoman sultan Bayezid I in Anatolia.
- Battle of Nesbit Moor – clash prior to the Battle of Homildon Hill
- Battle of Homildon Hill – Scottish raiding force is defeated in Northern England.
- 1403 Battle of Shrewsbury – 21 July – Lancastrians defeat rebel army including Welsh soldiers led by Henry Percy, "Hotspur".
- 1405 Battle of Pwll Melyn – May – Owain Glyndŵr's rebels defeated near Usk.
- 1406 Cluain Immorrais. The King of Ui Falighe defeats the Galls of Meath.
- 1406 Battle of Tuiteam Tarbhach – Scottish clan battle fought between the Clan MacLeod of Lewis against the Clan MacKay
- 1410 -
- 1411 Battle of Harlaw – 24 July – Highlanders versus Lowland Scots ends in draw.
- 1412 Battle of Chalagan – December – Kara Koyunlu Turkomans defeat the Georgian army under Constantine I of Georgia and Shirvanshah Ibrahim, their ally.
- 1415 –
- 1418 Siege of Rouen – – 19 July January 1419 – Henry V of England gains a foothold in Normandy.
- 1419 Battle of la Rochelle – A Castilian fleet defeats an English-Hanseatic coalition fleet.
- 1420 –
- 1421 –
- Battle of Horic – 27 April – Taborites defeat Utraquists, ending the Hussite Civil War.
- Battle of Cravant – 31 July – English victory during Hundred Years' War
- Battle of Verneuil – 17 August – English defeat French, killing two French earls.
- Siege of Salonika (Thessaloniki) – Venice vs. the Ottoman Empire
- Battle of La Brossinière French victory over English
- Battle of Brouwershaven – 13 January – Burgundian troops defeat combined Zeelander and English forces.
- Battle of St. James – 6 March – An English force defeats the French under Arthur de Richemont.
- Battle of Usti nad Labem – 16 June – Hussites defeat Imperial forces in the modern-day Czech-Republic.
- Battle of Khirokitia – 7 July – Mamelukes defeat intoxicated Cypriots.
- 1427 – Battle of Maclodio – 4 October – Part of the Wars in Lombardy
- 1429 –
- Siege of Orléans (1428–1429) English forces commanded by the Earl of Suffolk besiege French city and are driven off by Joan of Arc.
- Battle of Jargeau – 11–12 June – Joan of Arc captures a bridge held by English over the Loire River. Her helmet saves her from a projectile.
- Battle of Meung-sur-Loire – 11–12 June The forces of Joan of Arc capture a second bridge over the Loire River.
- Battle of Beaugency – 16–17 June – Joan of Arc's forces capture a third Loire River bridge.
- Battle of Patay – 18 June – First major field victory of the French in the Hundred Years' War, recognized as the war's turning point.
- 1430 Siege of Compiègne – 23 May – French victory but Joan of Arc is captured by Burgundians.
- 1434 Battle of Lipany – 30 May – Catholic Crusaders destroy Taborite army.
- 1436 Battle of Piperdean – Scottish victory over the English on the Scottish Borders
- 1439 Battle of Grotniki, Poland – Polish army defeats Hussite Protestants.
- 1440 Battle of Anghiari – 29 June – Niccolò Piccinino, overlord of Bologna, defeats Milanese Filippo Maria Visconti and is then opposed by Cosimo de Medici.
- 1443 Battle of Zlatica – December – Crusader advance stopped by the Ottoman army.
- 1444 Battle of Varna 10 November Ottoman Murad II defeats Hungarians, Poles and Wallachians, king Władysław III of Poland killed.
- 1445 Battle of Gomit Emperor Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia defeats and kills Sultan Arwe Badlay of Adal.
- 1450 Battle of Formigny – Decisive French victory during the Hundred years war: The Count of Clermont and the Earl of Richmond use cannon to break up archers and defeat the English under Kyriell.
Late 15th century (1451–1500)
- 1453 –
- 1454 -
- 1455 –
- 1456 Siege of Belgrade 22 July Hungarian forces lift Ottoman siege, Sultan Mehmet II wounded.
- 1457 Battle of Direptatea April Ştefan cel Mare, helped by Wallachian prince Vlad III the Impaler, defeated Petru Aron and became Voivod of Moldavia.
- 1459 –
- 1460 –
- Battle of Sandwich (1460) Yorkists land at Sandwich, rout Lancastrians.
- Battle of Sarno – Angevin victory over Ferrante I of Naples
- Battle of Northampton – 10 July – Warwick attacks royal camp, captures King Henry.
- Battle of Wakefield – 30 December – Queen Margaret's Lancastrians defeat Duke of York, who is killed in the fight.
- 1461 –
- Battle of Mortimer's Cross – 2 February – Yorkists defeat Lancastrians in the west.
- Second Battle of St Albans – 17 February – Lancastrians storm the town, chase out Yorkists.
- Battle of Ferrybridge – 28 March – Lancastrians ambush the Earl of Warwick, and kill his second-in-command.
- Battle of Towton – 29 March – Edward IV of England defeats Lancastrian forces.
- Ottoman Turks led by Mehmet II capture Trabzon.
- 1462 –
- Battle of Zatoka Świeża – 15 September – Polish navy defeats Teutonic navy.
- 1464 –
- 1467 –
- 1469 Battle of Edgecote Moor (or Banbury) – 26 July – Warwick the Kingmaker triumphs over Edward IV.
- 1470 –
- 1471 –
- 1473 –
- 1474 –
- 1475 –
- 1476 –
- Battle of Toro - 1 March - Indecisive: Prince John of Portugal defeated the Castilian right wing and remained in possession of the battlefield while his father Afonso V is defeated by the Castilian left-centre led by the Duke of Alba and Cardinal Mendoza. Both sides claimed victory.
- Battle of Grandson – 2 March – A Swiss army defeats the Burgundians under Charles the Bold.
- Battle of Morat – 22 June – The Swiss defeat Charles the Bold again.
- Battle of Valea Albă – 26 July – Mehmed II defeated Ştefan cel Mare.
- 1477 Battle of Nancy – 5 January – Swiss pikemen defeat cavalry of Burgundy's Charles the Bold, who was killed.
- 1478 Battle of Macomer – Sardinian rebels are defeated by the Aragonese.
- 1479 Battle of Breadfield – 13 October – Pál Kinizsi, comite of Timişoara, defeated the Ottomans.
- 1480 –
- Siege of Rhodes – May until 28 July – Ottomans unsuccessfully besiege the Knights Hospitaller garrison on Rhodes.
- Battle of Bloody Bay – A naval battle fought near Tobermory, Scotland, between John of Islay, Earl of Ross, the Lord of the Isles and chief of Clan Donald; and his son, Angus Og Macdonald
- 1480/1481 – Battle of Otranto – Gedik Ahmet Paşa of the Ottoman Turks captures Otranto in the Italian peninsula.
- 1481 Battle of Yenişehir – 22 June – The forces of Sultan Beyazit II of Ottoman Turks defeat the supporters of his brother and rival, Cem Sultan.
- 1482 Battle of Campomorto – 21 August – Papal army under Roberto Malataesta defeats Neapolitan troops led by Alfonso, Duke of Calabria.
- 1484 Battle of Lochmaben Fair – Scottish Royal-Black Douglas civil war
- 1485 Battle of Bosworth Field – 22 August – Ends Wars of the Roses fought since 1460, Henry VII becomes King.
- 1486 Battle of Auldicharish – Scottish clan battle
- 1487 Battle of Stoke – 16 June – Henry VII of England finally defeats internal opposition.
- 1488 Battle of Sauchieburn – 11 June – King James III defeated by Scottish nobles.
- 1492 Battle of Granada – 2 January – Ferdinand II of Aragon defeated the last Muslim kingdom in al-Andalus, the emirate of Granada of sultan Boabdil.
- 1493 Battle of Krbava field – 9 September – Ottoman-Croatian Wars Ottoman Turks defeat Croatians.
- 1495 Battle of Fornovo – 6 July – Francesco II Gonzaga of the Italian Holy League defeated Charles VIII of France.
- 1497 –
- 1499 -Battle of Zonchio (also known as Battle of Sapienza or First Battle of Lepanto) – 25 August – The Ottoman fleet defeats the Venetian fleet.
- 1500 –
Early 16th century (1501–50)
- 1503 –
- 1509 –
- Battle of Diu 3 February – Portuguese Viceroy destroys Moslem fleet off the coast of India, wrests control of spice trade.
- Battle of Polesella – A fleet of the Republic of Venice is destroyed on the Po River by the Ferrarese artillery.
- Battle of Agnadello (also known as Battle of Vaila) 14 May – Italian Wars
- Siege of Padua – 15–30 September Venice captures Padua.
- 1512 Battle of Ravenna – 11 April – Gaston de Foix defeats the Spanish, but is killed in the battle.
- Battle of Novara – 6 June – Holy League defeats France.
- Battle of Guingate (of the Spurs) – 16 August – Henry VIII and Emperor Maximilian I crush French.
- Battle of Flodden Field – 9 September – Henry VIII's army under Earl of Surrey killed James IV of Scotland.
- Battle of La Motta – 7 October – Spain defeats Venice.
- 1515 –
- War of Urbino – Francesco Maria I della Rovere shortly reconquers Urbino.
- Siege of Arai – 11 July – In Japan, the Hōjō Clan captures Arai castle.
- Battle of Marj Dabiq – 24 August – Selim I of Ottoman Turks defeats the Mamelukes and captures Syria.
- Battle of Yaunis Khan – 28 October – Ottoman Empire defeats the Mamelukes.
- 1517 Battle of Ridaniya – Ottoman Turks under Selim I defeat Mamelukes and capture Egypt.
- 1520 Battle of the Night of Sorrows – 30 June – The Aztec Empire defeats the Spanish troops of Hernán Cortés.
- 1524 Siege of Edo – Edo Castle falls from Uesugi control to Hōjō control.
- 1527 Sack of Rome – 6 May – Unpaid Spanish and Imperial troops attack the city in protest.
- 1530 Battle of Gavinana – 3 August – Florence crushed by the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1531 –
- Battle of Antukyah – February or March – The Ethiopian army panics and flees before Imam Ahmad Gragn's seven cannons and matchlockmen.
- Battle of Puná – April – Pizarro's forces defeat much larger forces of natives on the island of Puná.
- Battle of Obertyn - 22 August - Polish army defeats the Moldavians.
- Battle of Kappel – 11 October – Victory of Swiss Catholics over the followers of Zwingli
- Battle of Amba Sel – 28 October – Imam Ahmad Gragn again defeats Emperor Lebna Dengel, and crosses the Walaqa River unchecked into Bet Amhara.
- 1532 Battle of Cajamarca – Pizarro captures king Atahuallpa.
- 1533 Battle of Cuzco – Capital of the Inca empire taken by the Spanish.
- 1536 –
- 1537 Battle of Ollantaytambo – January – The forces of the Inca emperor Manco Inca defeat the Spanish troops of Hernando Pizarro.
- 1538 –
- 1540 Battle of Mabila - 18 October - Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto's forces destroy the fortress town of Mabila in present-day Alabama, killing Tuskaloosa.
- 1541 Battle of Sahart – 24 April – Ethiopian Emperor Gelawdewos defeats an attack by Garad Emar, a lieutenant of Imam Ahmad Gragn. However, the Emperor is forced south into Shewa and away from the advancing troops of Portuguese commander Christovão da Gama.
- 1542 –
- Battle of Baçente – 2 February – Portuguese under Christovão da Gama capture a Moslem-occupied hillfort in northern Ethiopia.
- Battle of Sezawa – 9 March – Takeda Shingen defeats four enemy forces to begin his conquest Shinano Province.
- Battle of Jarte – 4 April-16 The Portuguese under Christovão da Gama encounter the army of Imam Ahmad Gragn in two successive victories.
- Battle of the Hill of the Jews – August – During the rainy season, Christovão da Gama captures a strategic position and many badly needed horses.
- Battle of Haddon Rig – 24 August – Scottish victory over the English
- Battle of Wofla – 28 August – Reinforced with at least 600 arquebusiers and cavalry, Imam Ahmad Gragn attacks the Portuguese camp. The Portuguese are scattered, Christovão da Gama captured and executed.
- Battle of Solway Moss – 25 November – English victory over Scotland
- Battle of Azukizaka – Oda Nobuhide defeats Imagawa Yoshimoto.
- Siege of Uehara – Takeda Shingen captures Uehara Castle from Suwa Yorishige.
- Siege of Kuwabara – One day after Uehara, Shingen defeats Yorishige again. Yorishige then commits suicide.
- Siege of Fukuyo – Takeda Shingen captures Fukuyo fortress. Battle of Ankokuji follows, Takato Yoritsugu defeated.
- Battle of Alltan-Beath – Scottish clan battle
- 1543 –
- 1544 –
- 1545 –
- Battle of Ancrum Moor – Scottish victory over the English during the War of the Rough Wooing
- Siege of Takatō Takeda Shingen defeats Takatō Yoritsugu, taking his castle.
- Siege of Ryūgasaki The Takeda family defeats Tozawa Yorichika.
- Battle of the Solent – 18 July – Indecisive naval battle between France and England, English flagship Mary Rose sinks.
- Battle of Kawagoe Hōjō forces defeat the Uesugi, foiling a siege.
- 1547 –
- 1548 –
- 1549 Siege of Fukashi Takeda Shingen captures several of Nagatoki's castles, forcing him to flee to Kyoto.
Late 16th century (1551–1600)
- 1552 Siege of Kazan – Ivan the Terrible defeats the Kazan Khanate.
- 1552 Siege of Eger – Hungarian victory over Ottoman Turks
- 1553 First Battle of Kawanakajima (June) indecisive battle between Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin
- 1554 Battle of Renty 12 August – Francis, Duke of Guise repels an Imperial invasion of Picardy.
- 1555 Second Battle of Kawanakajima Takeda Shingen defeats Uesugi Kenshin.
- 1555 Battle of Garbharry – battle fought between Clan MacKay and Clan Sutherland
- 1556 Second battle of Panipat 5 November – Akbar the Great defeats the Sultan of Bengal.
- 1557 –
- 1558 –
- 1560 –
- 1561 Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima 10 September Takeda Shingen defeats Uesugi Kenshin in the climax of their ongoing conflicts.
- 1564 –
- 1565 Siege of Malta Knights of Malta defeat Turkish forces.
- 1566 Battle of Szigetvár 6 August – 8 September 2,300 Hungarian defenders are annihilated by an army of 90,000 soldiers of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1567 –
- 1568 –
- Battle of Langside 13 May James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray defeats the forces of his half-sister, Mary, Queen of Scots, forcing her to flee to England.
- Battle of Rheindalen – Dutch attempt to conquer Roermond.
- Battle of Heiligerlee 23 May Dutch army ambushes Spanish army.
- Battle of Jemmingen 21 July Spanish army under the Duke of Alva defeats the Dutch army.
- Battle of Jodoigne Spain defeats Dutch army.
- Siege of Hachigata Takeda Shingen is unable to take a Hōjō fortress.
- 1569 –
- Siege of Odawara Takeda Shingen's forces burn the Hōjō clan controlled town.
- Battle of Mimasetoge Takeda Shingen escapes a trap set for him by the Hōjō clan.
- Battle of Jarnac 13 March, French Catholic forces defeat French Huguenots.
- Battle of La Roche-l'Abeille 25 June, French Huguenots defeat French Catholic forces.
- Battle of Moncontour 3 October, French Catholic forces defeat French Huguenots decisively.
- 1570 –
- 1571 –
- 1572 –
- Battle of Molodi The Crimean Tatars and Ottoman Janissaries are routed by Russians near Moscow.
- Siege of Futamata Takeda Shingen captures one of Tokugawa Ieyasu's fortresses.
- Relief of Goes Spanish victory over the Dutch
- Capture of Brielle 1 April – Marked a turning point in the uprising of the Low Countries against Spain in the Eighty Years' War
- 1573 –
- Battle of Mikatagahara Tokugawa Ieyasu is forced to retreat from Takeda Shingen.
- Siege of Iwamura Takeda Shingen's forces led by Akiyama Nobutomo capture Iwamura castle.
- Siege of Odani Nobunaga defeats Azai Nagamasa, effectively destroying the Azai family.
- Siege of Ichijo ga dani Nobunaga effectively destroys the Asakura.
- Siege of Noda Takeda Shingen is killed.
- Battle of Flushing 17 April – Dutch rebels manage to capture 5 Spanish ships.
- Battle of Borsele 22 April – A Spanish fleet under Sancho d'Avila is forced to retreat by a Dutch fleet under Admiral Worst.
- Battle of Haarlemmermeer 26 May – The Dutch failed in an attempt to break the siege of Haarlem.
- Siege of Haarlem 13 July – Spanish capture city following a seven-month siege.
- Battle on the Zuiderzee Dutch fleet destroyed a larger and better-equipped Spanish fleet on the Zuiderzee.
- 1574 –
- Battle of Reimerswaal 29 January – Sancho d'Avila's attempt to resupply his troops ends up in complete annihilation of his fleet.
- Siege of Leiden – Dutch rebel victory over Spain
- Battle of Mookerheyde 14 April A Dutch army crumbles at a Spanish army's presence.
- Battle of Lillo 30 May – Lodewijk van Boisot with 64 Dutch ships destroys the Spanish fleet near Antwerp.
- Battle of Takatenjin Takeda Katsuyori, son of Takeda Shingen, captures Tokugawa Ieyasu's fortress of Takatenjin.
- Second Siege of Nagashima Nobunaga's second attempt is foiled by a counter-attack.
- Siege of Itami Nobunaga defeats Araki Murashige who had rebelled.
- 1575 –
- 1576 –
- 1577 -
- 1578 –
- Battle of Gembloux 31 January Don John of Austria crushes Protestant army.
- Battle of Alcazarquivir 4 August Moors defeat Portuguese army, kill King Sebastian of Portugal.
- Second Battle of Kizugawaguchi Nobunaga defeats the naval forces of the Mori clan.
- Battle of Rijmenam (1578) The Spanish forces were dealt a strategic defeat.
- Siege of Kozuki Hideyoshi is defeated by the Mori clan.
- Battle of Çıldır – Ottoman Turks defeat Safavid Persia and conquer the Caucasus.
- 1579 –
- 1580 –
- 1581 –
- 1582 –
- Battle of Temmokuzan Tokugawa Ieyasu and Oda Nobunaga destroy the forces of Takeda Katsuyori, who commits suicide.
- Siege of Takamatsu Hideyoshi captures Takamatsu Castle. The lord of this castle also commits suicide.
- Battle of Honnō-ji 21 June Nobunaga is defeated by Akechi Mitsuhide, who forces him to commit suicide.
- Battle of Yamazaki Hideyoshi defeats the murderer of his master Oda Nobunaga.
- Battle of Uchide-hama Hideyoshi again defeats Nobunaga's murderer, Akechi Mitsuhide.
- 1583 -
- 1584 Battle of Komaki and Nagakute Hideyoshi is defeated by Tokugawa Ieyasu.
- 1585 Invasion of Shikoku Hideyoshi conquers the island.
- 1586 Battle of Zutphen 22 September, Spanish defeat Dutch rebels.
- 1588 -
- 1590 –
- 1592 –
- Battle of Sangju 24 April Konishi Yukinaga defeats the Koreans under Yi Il.
- Battle of Ch'ungju 28 April Japanese forces decisively defeat the Koreans.
- Battle of Okpo 7 May The Korean Navy defeats a Japanese convoy.
- Siege of Busan 24–25 May (13–14 April Lunar Calendar) Japanese defeat Koreans.
- Battle of Hansan Island 14 August Korean Navy defeats Japanese Navy.
- Battle of Busan 1 November Korean Navy could not recapture Busan from Japan.
- Siege of Pyongyang Chinese general Li Rusong defeats Konishi Yukinaga. Japan is expelled from Pyongyang.
- Siege of Jinju (1592) Siege of Jinju Fortress. Commander Kim Si-min repulses the Japanese commander Hosokawa Tadaoki, due to the arrival of a Korean relief force led by Gwak Jae-u.
- 1593 –
- Battle of Byeokjegwan 27 January, decisive battle between Japan and China in Seoul. The Japanese army led by Ukita Hideie and Kobayakawa Takakage defeated the Chinese army under Li Rusong.
- Battle of Haengju The Korean army under commander Gwon Yul defenders were successful in repelling the Japanese forces.
- Siege of Jinju Japanese defeat Koreans.
- Battle of Sisak Forces of the Holy Roman Empire defeat forces of the Ottoman Empire.
- Battle of Dryfe Sands A clash between Clan Maxwell and Clan Johnstone
- 1594 Battle of Glenlivet
- 1596 –
- 1597 –
- Battle of Turnhout 24 January Dutch troops defeat Spanish cavalry.
- Battle of Chilchonryang 28 August Japanese Navy decisively defeat Korean Navy.
- Siege of Namwon (August) Japanese defeat Korean and Chinese alliance force.
- Siege of Ulsan Japanese defeat Korean and Chinese alliance force.
- Battle of Myeongnyang 26 October Korean Navy defeats Japanese navy.
- 1598 –
- Battle of the Yellow Ford – Irish under Hugh O'Neill, earl of Tyrone, destroy English force.
- Battle of Stångebro 25 September Sigismund loses the Swedish crown to his uncle, Duke Charles.
- Battle of Sacheon (1598) October, Japanese army defeats Chinese army.
- Battle of Noryang Point 16 December, the Chinese and Korean Navy failed to prevent the retreat of the Japan army.
- 1600 –
- Battle of Sekigahara – Japanese General Ieyasu defeats three regents of the son of Hideyoshi in the most important battle in Japanese history – he later establishes the Tokugawa Shogunate.
- Battle of Nieuwpoort 2 July Battle between Dutch (led by Prince Maurits) and Spanish army, led by Albrecht, archduke of Austria
Early 17th century (1601–50)
- 1601 –
- Battle of Bantam Dutch outnumbered expedition fleet defeats the Portuguese Armada.
- 1603 –
- 1605 –
- 1606 –
- Battle of Cape Rachado Dutch Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie and Portuguese fleets. Portuguese victory.
- Battle of Gol 10 March – Susenyos defeats the combined armies of Yaqob and Abuna Petros II, making him Emperor of Ethiopia.
- Siege of Groenlo Forces led by Ambrosio Spinola take the city, which remained in Spanish hands until 1627.
- 1607 Battle of Gibraltar 25 April – Dutch fleet destroys anchored Spanish fleet.
- 1608 Battle of Ebenat 17 January – Emperor Susenyos surprises an Oromo army, killing 12,000 Oromo at a cost of 400 soldiers.
- 1610 –
- 1611 Siege of Smolensk (ended in June) – Poland captures city after two-year siege.
- 1614 Battle of Imafuku (November) Tokugawa Ieyasu attacks and captures the village of Imafuku by defeating Toyotomi clan forces.
- 1615 –
- 1617 Second Battle of Playa Honda – Spanish victory in the Philippines during Eighty Years' War
- 1618 Siege of Plzeň Protestants defeat Catholics in the Thirty Years' War.
- 1619 –
- 1620 Battle of White Mountain 8 November Battle deciding fate of Prague in Thirty Years' War
- 1621 Battle of Khotyn Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth army stops great Turkish invasion.
- 1622 –
- 1623 –
- 1625 –
- 1626 –
- 1627 –
- Battle of Dirschau – 7 August – Indecisive battle during the Polish–Swedish War (1626–29)
- Siege of Groenlo A Dutch army led by Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange liberates the city from Spanish rule.
- Battle of Oliwa Battle in the Polish–Swedish War (1626–29). It was the biggest and the last naval battle of the Polish royal navy.
- 1628 Battle in the Bay of Matanzas Dutch fleet led by Admiral Piet Hein was able to defeat and capture the Spanish treasure fleet.
- 1629 –
- 1630 Siege of Recife (1630) the Dutch captured Recife, in Portuguese Brazil. This began a war over Brazil, which would see the Dutch establish a colony called New Holland.
- 1631 –
- Battle of Magdeburg (ended 20 May) Imperial Soldiers capture and pillage town.
- Battle of Albrolhos 10 August – Spanish Admiral Oquendo defeated the Dutch after a six-hour naval battle.
- Battle of Breitenfeld 17 September Saxons and Swedes defeat Catholics under Tilly.
- Battle of the Slaak Crushing Dutch victory over the Spanish fleet
- 1632 –
- 1634 – Battle of Nördlingen – 6–7 September – The Imperial armies number 33,000 troops, the Protestant forces with 25,000. At the end of the day, 12,000 Protestants are dead, another 4,000 captured, including Swedish army leader Gustaf Horn.
- 1636 Battle of Wittstock – Sweden defeats an army of Saxony and the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1637 –
- 1638 Battle of Kallo – William of Nassau tried to surround the city of Antwerp.
- 1639 –
- 1641 –
- 1642 –
- Battle of Honnecourt – 26 May – Spanish victory against a French army
- Battle of Edgehill – 23 October – First battle of English Civil War, a draw
- Second Battle of Breitenfeld – 23 October – Swedish victory over Holy Roman Empire
- Battle of Brentford – 12 November – Royalist cavalry defeats Roundheads, but has to retreat later.
- Battle of Lostwithiel (1642)
- 1643 –
- Battle of Rocroi 19 May French under Duc d'Enghien destroy Spanish military supremacy in Europe.
- Battle of Adwalton Moor 30 June Royalists beat Roundheads near York.
- Battle of Burton Bridge 4 July Royalists capture Burton from the Roundheads.
- Battle of Lansdowne 5 July Royalists and Roundheads tie near Bath.
- Battle of Roundway Down 13 July Royalists crush Roundheads in West Country.
- First Battle of Newbury 20 September Roundheads save London from Royalists.
- Battle of Tuttlingen 24 November
- 1644 –
- Battle of Ochmatów - 30 January - Polish-Lithuanian army defeat Crimean Tatars.
- Battle of Cropredy Bridge 29 June Charles defeats Roundheads under William Waller.
- Battle of Marston Moor 2 July Oliver Cromwell Roundheads defeat King Charles I of England's Cavaliers securing the North for the Puritans.
- Battle of Freiburg (August) – French and Bavarians defeat Austrians.
- Battle of Tippermuir 1 September Montrose's Royalists defeat Elcho's Covenanters.
- Battle of Lostwithiel 2 September Royalists surround Roundheads west of Plymouth.
- Battle of Aberdeen (1644) 13 September Royalist victory during Scottish Civil War
- Second Battle of Newbury 27 October Roundheads block Charles' return to London.
- Battle of Jüterbog – Sweden defeats Holy Roman Empire.
- Battle of Lagoscuro – Allied Castro (city), Republic of Venice, Modena, and Tuscany forces defeat the papal army.
- 1645 –
- Battle of Inverlochy 2 February Highlanders defeat covenanters.
- Battle of Jankau 23 February
- Siege of Hulst – The heavily fortified town was conquered by Dutch troops commanded by Frederick Henry after only 28 days.
- Battle of Auldearn 9 May Royalist victory during Scottish Civil War
- Battle of Naseby 14 June Cromwell's Ironsides defeat Charles' Cavaliers.
- Battle of Alford 2 July Covenanters defeated by Royalists under Montrose.
- Second Battle of Nördlingen 3 August French victory during Thirty Years' War
- Battle of Tabocas 3 August – Aka Battle of Mount Tabocas, battle between the Dutch and the Portuguese army
- Battle of Kilsyth 15 August James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose defeats Covenanters in decisive battle.
- Battle of Philiphaugh 13 September Covenanters under General David Leslie surprise Montrose in camp, Montrose runs away.
- 1646 -
- 1647 –
- Battle of Dungans Hill, Irish Leinster army destroyed by Parliamentarians.
- Battle of Knocknanuss, Irish Munster army destroyed in Cork by Inchiquin.
- Battle of Puerto de Cavite 10 June Spanish defenders defeat Dutch invasion in the Philippines during Eighty Years' War.
- Battle of Kombi 29 October – Decisive Dutch victory over the Portuguese Empire
- 1648 –
- Battle of Maidstone
- Battle of St Fagans
- Siege of Pembroke
- First Battle of Guararapes 18 April – Dutch and Portuguese forces in Pernambuco, in a dispute for the dominion of that part of Brazil
- Battle of Zusmarshausen 17 May French and Swedish defeat Holy Roman Empire.
- Battle of Prague
- Battle of Preston 17 August Cromwell defeats William Hamilton, 2nd Duke of Hamilton.
- Battle of Lens 20 August
- Second Battle of Guararapes, Portuguese forces defeat the Netherlands and conquer Pernambuco.
- Battle of Rathmines, an army composed of Irish and Royalist soldiers is destroyed, paving the way for the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland.
- Destruction of Huronia, force of 1200 armed Iroquois destroy Huron villages of St. Louis and St. Ignace near southern Georgian Bay, Canada, initiating Huron dispersal.
- 1650 Battle of Dunbar
Late 17th century (1651–1700)
- 1651 –
- 1652 –
- Battle of Goodwin Sands (or Dover) 29 May Blake's attack without a declaration of war on Tromp's fleet, initiates First Anglo-Dutch War.
- Battle of Plymouth First Anglo-Dutch War 26 August De Ruyter's 36 men-of-war hold off Ayscue's 45 men-of-war, driving them away.
- Battle of Elba Dutch victory over the English fleet
- Battle of the Kentish Knock (or Dover) 8 October Blake beats back de With.
- Battle of Dungeness 10 December Tromp defeats Blake during the First Anglo-Dutch War.
- Battle of Bléneau (La Fronde) 7 April. Condé commands Fronds against French under Marshall Turenne, but the outcome is inconclusive.
- 1653 –
- Battle of Portland 28 February – 2 March Dutch admiral Tromp, outnumbered, loses a dozen men-of-war and 50 merchantmen to Blake.
- Battle of Livorno 13 March Johan van Galen's ships defeat Bodley.
- Battle of Leghorn 14 March Dutch naval victory over the English
- Battle of the Gabbard (or North Foreland) 12–13 June, English victory during the First Anglo-Dutch War
- Battle of Scheveningen (or Texel) 8–10 August English victory during the First Anglo-Dutch War, Tromp killed
- 1654 –
- 1655 –
- 1656 –
- Battle of Częstochowa (Winter, continued from 1655) Failed Swedish attack on Jasna Góra monastery
- First Battle of Warsaw 30 June Poland retakes capital from Sweden.
- Second Battle of Warsaw 18–20 July Charles X Gustavus of Sweden defeats Poland and is declared war upon by every country of significance in the Northern War.
- Battle of Prostken 8 October Prince Bogusław Radziwiłł defeated by loyal Polish.
- 1658 –
- 1659 –
- Battle at Elvas 14 January Portuguese defeat Spain.
- 1660 -
- 1661 Siege of Fort Zeelandia Ended the Dutch East India Company's rule over Taiwan
- 1664 Battle of Saint Gotthard – Austrians defeat Ottoman Empire.
- 1665 –
- Battle of Lowestoft Battle during the Second Anglo-Dutch War. Biggest naval defeat in Dutch history.
- Battle of Vågen English fleet defeated by the Dutch without losing any ships.
- Battle of Ambuila (or Mbwila) Portuguese forces defeat and kill king António I of Kongo, ending native rule of that kingdom.
- Battle of Montes Claros – Portuguese forces defeat Spain.
- 1666 –
- 1667 Raid on the Medway a.k.a. Battle of Chatham, England's largest naval defeat in history. A successful Dutch attack on English ships, in their main naval base Chatham, during the Second Anglo-Dutch War. The Dutch under command of Lieutenant-Admiral Michiel de Ruyter.
- 1671 –
- 1672 –
- Battle of Solebay 7 June – Naval battle between Dutch and English, England forced to abandon plans for a blockade.
- Siege of Groningen 9 July – Dutch victory that ended all hope to push deeper into the Netherlands
- Siege of Groenlo (1672) a 10-day siege of the Dutch town of Groenlo by forces of France during the Franco-Dutch War. It ended in the town's surrender.
- 1673 –
- Siege of Bonn (1673)
- Battle of Khotyn – Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth forces defeat Ottoman Empire.
- First Battle of Schooneveld 7 June – Dutch naval victory
- Siege of Maastricht (1673) 11 June – Key element in King Louis XIV's plans to attack the Netherlands
- Second Battle of Schooneveld 14–15 June – Dutch win naval battle, poor fighting on both sides.
- Battle of Texel 21 August Dutch defeat English and French attempt at naval invasion.
- 1674 Battle of Seneffe 11 August – French defeat the Dutch.
- 1675 –
- Battle of Lwów Jan Sobieski defeats Turkish and Crimean Tatar forces.
- Battle of Fehrbellin 28 June Swedes invade Brandenburg and lose.
- Battle of Turckheim France defeats Austrian-Prussian coalition and conquers Alsace.
- Great Swamp Fight 16 December English colonial forces in New England destroy the headquarters of the Narragansett during Metacom's or King Philip's War.
- 1676 –
- Battle of Agosta Draw between the French and Dutch navy. Dutch genius Admiral and naval hero Michiel de Ruyter gets wounded and dies a week later. The French retreat out of respect for the wounded Admiral.
- Battle of Bornholm Naval battle between the fleet of Charles XI of Sweden, and a combined Danish and Dutch fleet. Allied victory.
- Battle of Öland 1 June – Danish-Dutch fleet defeats Swedish fleet in the Baltic Sea during the Scanian War.
- Battle of Lund 4 December Swedish troops defeat the Danish ones in the bloodiest battle in Scandinavian history with over 9,000 dead (about 50% losses on both sides).
- 1677 -
- Battle of Malmö – Swedish victory over Denmark
- Battle of Landskrona – Swedish victory over Denmark
- Battle of Cassel – French victory under Philippe I, Duke of Orléans, against the Dutch under William III of Orange, stadtholder of the Netherlands
- Battle of Marstrand – Danish-Norwegian victory over Sweden
- Battle of Uddevalla – Danish victory over Sweden
- 1678 Battle of Saint Denis 15 August – Last battle of the Franco-Dutch War
- 1679 Battle of Drumclog 1 June – Part of the Scottish Covenanter Wars
- Battle of Bothwell Bridge 22 June – Part of the Scottish Covenanter Wars
- 1683 Battle of Vienna 12 September – Polish King Jan Sobieski defeats Ottomans, lifts siege of Vienna.
- 1685 Battle of Sedgemoor – James II of England's forces defeat those of the Duke of Monmouth, ending the Monmouth Rebellion.
- 1687 Second Battle of Mohács 12 August Charles of Lorraine defeats Ottomans.
- 1688 -
- 1689 Battle of Bantry Bay – France defeats the English fleet near the Irish southern coast.
- 1690 –
- Battle of Beachy Head 10 July French defeat the English fleet under command of Admiral Arthur Herbert, 1st Earl of Torrington in the War of the League of Augsburg.
- Battle of Fleurus The French troops, under the command of Louis XIV's marshal Montmorency, defeat a coalition formed by England, Spain, the Dutch Republic and the Holy Roman Empire.
- Battle of the Boyne William of Orange defeats James II of England.
- Battle of Quebec – British attack during King William's War
- 1691 –
- Battle of Aughrim – The bloodiest battle in Irish history and a Jacobite defeat
- Battle of Slankamen 19 August – Louis of Baden defeats Ottoman Turks.
- Battle of La Prairie French repulse British and First Nations' attack on this settlement.
- Battle of Leuze was a famous French cavalry victory in the Nine Years' War against a superior Anglo-Dutch force.
- 1692 -
- 1693 –
- 1694 –
- 1695 Siege of Namur – William III of Orange and Coehoorn recapture the place.
- 1697 Battle of Zenta – Prince Eugene of Savoy defeats Ottoman Turkish forces.
- 1700 Battle of Narva – 30 November – Charles XII of Sweden defeats Russians during the Great Northern War.
Early 18th century (1701–50)
- 1701 Crossing of the Düna – 19 July – Charles XII crosses the Düna during the Great Northern War.
- 1702 –
- Battle of Cremona 1 February – Indecisive action between Austria and France
- Battle of Klissow – 19 July – Sweden defeats a combined Saxon and Polish army during the Great Northern War.
- Battle of Hummelshof – 30 July – Russia defeats Sweden during the Great Northern War.
- Battle of Friedlingen – France defeats Holy Roman Empire during War of the Spanish Succession.
- Battle of Vigo Bay 23 October – English and Dutch forces capture a defended harbor and part of the silver from a treasure fleet.
- 1704 –
- 1705 –
- 1706 –
- Battle of Fraustadt – 13 February – Sweden defeats Saxony during the Great Northern War.
- Siege of Barcelona – Battle during the War of the Spanish Succession. Allied victory.
- Battle of Ramilles or Battle of Ramillies 23 May – Duke of Marlborough defeats the French in the War of Spanish Succession.
- Battle of Turin 7 September – French siege fails during War of the Spanish Succession.
- 1707 Battle of Almansa 25 April French forces defeat Portuguese.
- 1708 –
- Battle of Holowczyn – 4 July – Swedish defeat two Russian forces during the Great Northern War.
- Battle of Oudenarde 11 July Duke of Marlborough and Prince Eugene of Savoy defeat French and besiege Lille.
- Battle of Lesnaya – 28 September – Swedish routed after snowstorm starts during the Great Northern War.
- Battle of Wijnendale 28 September General Webb defeats the French near Torhout who wanted to stop the siege of Rijsel.
- 1709 –
- 1710 –
- Battle of Helsingborg – 10 March – Sweden defeats invading Danish force during the Great Northern War.
- Battle of Almenar 27 July – Austrian-British-Dutch allies defeat the Spanish in the War of Spanish Succession.
- Battle of Saragossa 20 August – Important allied victory in the War of Spanish Succession
- Battle of Brihuega 9 December – The duke of Vendôme surprises and defeats a British force.
- Battle of Villaviciosa 10 December – Indecisive battle between retreating Austrian-Dutch forces and a Franco-Spanish army
- Battle of Prut – Ottoman Turks defeat Peter I of Russia.
- 1711 –
- 1712 –
- 1714 –
- 1715 –
- 1716 –
- 1718 Battle of the Salween River September – Zunghar forces defeat a Chinese expeditionary force sent to capture Lhasa.
- 1718 Siege of Fredriksten – 12 December – Swedish king is killed in Norway during the Great Northern War.
- 1719 Battle of Glen Shiel 10 June
- 1728 Battle of Palkhed 28 February Maratha Peshwa Baji Rao I defeats Mughal Governor of Deccan, Nizam-ul-Mulk.
- 1729 Battle of Damghan – Nadir Shah defeats the Afghans.
- 1739 Battle of Grocka – 22 July/23 – Ottoman Empire defeats Austria.
- 1739 Battle of Stavuchany – Russians defeat Ottoman Empire.
- 1741 –
- Battle of Cartagena de Indias March–May – Spanish decisive victory. One of the biggest British naval defeats.
- Battle of Mollwitz 10 April – Prussia under Frederick the Great fights and beats the Austrians under FM Neipperg in Silesian War.
- Battle of Milan 20 April
- Battle of Colachel 10 August Hindu ruler of Travancore, Marathanda Raja defeats Dutch East India Company at Colachel, off the southern coast of India.
- 1742 Battle of Chotusitz 17 May – Frederick the Great of Prussia beats the Austrians for a second time under Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine.
- 1743 Battle of Dettingen 16 June – French defeat during War of the Austrian Succession.
- 1744 –
- Battle of Toulon (1744) 22 February – draw between British and Franco-Spanish fleets
- Battle of Villafranca 20 April – France and Spain defeat Britain and Sardinia.
- Battle of Casteldelfino 18 July – French troops victorious against Sardinians at bayonet-point despite several orders to retreat.
- Battle of Madonna dell'Olmo 30 September – Franco-Spanish victory over Sardinian forces, Prince of Conti wounded twice.
- 1745 –
- Battle of Fontenoy 11 May – French victory, during the War of the Austrian Succession, against a coalition made of Great Britain, Hanover, the Dutch Republic and Austria
- Battle of Hohenfriedberg 4 June – Frederick the Great of Prussia beats an Austro-Saxon army under Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine.
- Battle of Prestonpans 21 September – Jacobite Stuarts under Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) defeat English.
- Battle of Soor 30 September – Frederick the Great of Prussia defeats a superior Austro-Saxon force under Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine.
- Battle of Kesselsdorf 14 December – Prussians defeat Austro-Saxon force.
- 1746 –
- Battle of Falkirk (1746) 17 January – Jacobites defeat English dragoons.
- Battle of Culloden Moor (or Battle of Culloden) 16 April – Jacobites lose to government forces.
- Battle of Piacenza 16 June – Austrian victory during War of the Austrian Succession, Montcalm present on French side.
- Battle of Rottofreddo 12 August – French army defeats small Austrian force during French retreat to Genoa.
- Battle of Rocoux – French victory over an allied Austrian, British, Hanoverian and Dutch army outside Liège
- 1748 –
- 1750 Battle of Kathio – Chippewas defeat Sioux and gain control of Minnesota.
Late 18th century (1751–1800)
- 1754 –
- 1755 –
- 1756 –
- 1757 –
- Battle of Reichenberg 21 April – Prussian victory over Austria in the Seven Years' War
- Siege of Fort William Henry 4 August-9 – British defeated by French then Indians slaughter prisoners.
- Battle of Prague 6 May Prussians beat the Austrians, though at a terrible cost during the Seven Years' War.
- Battle of Kolín 18 June – Frederick the Great of Prussia loses, for the first time, to Austria in Seven Years' War.
- Battle of Plassey 23 June – Robert Clive consolidates English rule over India.
- Battle of Hastenbeck 26 July – French army defeats Hanover, Great Britain, Hesse-Kassel and Brunswick.
- Battle of Gross-Jägersdorf 30 August – Russians under Stepan Fedorovich Apraksin defeat the Prussians.
- Battle of Moys 7 September – Prussian-Austrian battle during the Seven Years' War
- Battle of Rossbach 5 November – Frederick crushes French, Louis XV says "After me, the Deluge".
- Battle of Breslau 22 November – Battle fought during the Seven Years' War, Austrians briefly re-conquer Silesia.
- Battle of Leuthen 5 December – Frederick the Great crushes Austrians under Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine; considered Frederick's greatest victory.
- 1758 –
- Battle of Cartagena, 28 February
- Battle of Cuddalore 29 April – Indecisive naval battle of Seven Years' War
- Battle of Luisbourg 8 June – 26 July – also Louisburg, British capture fort controlling entrance to St. Lawrence River.
- Battle of Krefeld 23 June – Ferdinand son of duke of Brunswick drives French across the Rhine.
- Battle of Domstadtl 30 June – Seven Years' War: Ernst Gideon von Laudon and Joseph von Siskovits routed a convoy with supplies for the Prussians besieging Olomouc, protected by forces of Hans Joachim von Zieten.
- Battle of Bernetz Brook 6 July – A sharp engagement in the Carillon campaign between the British and an isolated party of Frenchmen
- Battle of Carillon 8 July – also called Battle of Ticonderoga. A far superior British force badly mauled after foolishly attacking entrenched French head on.
- Battle of Negapatam 3 August – Britain and France fight indecisive naval battle off the coast of India.
- Battle of Zorndorf 25 August – Frederick battles Russians under Fermor in Prussia to a bloody draw.
- Battle of Fort Duquesne 14 September – French repel British attack, but realize they can't hold fort. Fort abandoned by French in November.
- Battle of Fort Ligonier 12 October – French attack on fort fails.
- Battle of Hochkirch 14 October – Austrians mildly defeat Prussians.
- 1759 –
- Battle of Ticonderoga (1759) – British capture French fort.
- Battle of Bergen (1759) 13 April – French repulse Ferdinand's drive on Frankfurt-am-Main.
- Battle of Kay 23 July – battle fought during the Seven Years' War
- Battle of Fort Niagara (6 July – 26) – British take fort, but Brigadier General John Prideaux is killed.
- Battle of Beauport 31 July – French stop British attempt to land near Quebec city; notable naval bombardment with British ships and batteries firing 4000 rounds in 8 hours on French shoreline entrenchments.
- Battle of Minden 1 August – Ferdinand defeats French.
- Battle of Lagos (18 August – 19) – British naval victory near Portugal
- Battle of Kunersdorf August – Russia and Austria smash Frederick's Prussian army.
- Battle of Pondicherry 10 September – Indecisive naval battle near India
- Battle of the Plains of Abraham, 13 September – English defeat French outside Quebec City.
- Battle of Quiberon Bay 20 November
- Battle of Maxen 21 November – Battle during the Seven Years' War
- Battle of Meissen 4 December – Battle during the Seven Years' War
- 1760 –
- Battle of Sainte-Foy 28 April – French defeat British but fail to re-take Quebec city; entrenched French forced to retreat when British naval re-enforcements arrive in May.
- Battle of Landeshut 23 June – in Bavaria, Austria captures a Prussian army.
- Battle of Warburg 1 August – Battle during the Seven Years' War
- Battle of Liegnitz 15 August – Frederick defeats Austrians.
- Battle of the Thousand Islands-16 August-24
- Battle of Torgau 3 November – Prussian pyrrhic victory over Austria during the Seven Years' War
- Battle of Montreal – Three British armies converge on Montreal forcing general capitulation of Canada, New France.
- Battle of Wandiwash
- 1761 –
- 1762 –
- 1763 Battle of Bushy Run (4 August-5) – British defeat Indians in Pennsylvania backcountry.
- 1764 Battle of Buxar – Mughal emperor with his combined forces attacks British to drive British out of Bengal, British successful.
- 1767 Battle of Bang Rajan
- 1768 Battle of Borgo
- 1769 Battle of Faggeta 9 December – Ras Mikael Sehul and Emperor Tekle Haymanot, with the help of Goshu of Amhara and Wand Bewossen, defeat Fasil of Damot.
- 1770 –
- Battle of Golden Hill 19 January – in New York, the first bloodshed between the rebels and their colonial masters
- Battle of Chesme 6 July – Russian fleet defeats Ottoman fleet.
- Battle of Larga 7 July – Russian army defeats Crimean Tatars and Ottoman janissaries.
- Battle of Kagul 21 July – Russian army under Rumyantsev attacks and puts to flight 150,000 Turks.
- 1771 –
- The Three battles of Sarbakusa May – An alliance of three of the most powerful aristocrats of Ethiopia – Goshu of Amhara, Wand Bewossen, and Fasil of Damot – defeats Ras Mikael Sehul and Emperor Tekle Haymanot I, taking control of that country.
- Battle of Alamance 16 May – Colonial government crushes North Carolina patriots (Regulators).
- Battle of Lanckorona 23 May – A force of 4,000 Russians under Alexander Suvorov defeat a Polish formation of 1,300 men.
- 1774 Battle of Point Pleasant 10 October- Frontiersmen defeat Shawnees.
- 1775 –
- Battle of Lexington and Concord 19 April – Patriot militia repel British in confrontation at Concord, drive them back to Boston.
- Capture of Fort Ticonderoga – Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold capture fort.
- Battle of Machias – first naval engagement of American Revolution; British sloop captured.
- Battle of Bunker Hill 17 June – British win, Patriot morale boost
- Battle of Longue Pointe 25 September – American attack on Montreal led by Ethan Allen fails; Allen is captured.
- Siege of Fort St. Jean 21 August – 3 November – Americans under Richard Montgomery capture fort near Montreal.
- Battle of Great Bridge 9 December – American victory seals the fate of the British colonial government in Virginia.
- Battle of Quebec 31 December – Arnold and Richard Montgomery defeated before Quebec City; Montgomery killed.
- 1776 –
- Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge 27 February – NC patriots defeat Scottish Loyalists.
- Battle of the Rice Boats (2 March – 3) – British ships set on fire.
- Battle of The Cedars (15 May – 16) – British capture American forces near Montreal during American Revolutionary War.
- Battle of Trois-Rivières 8 June – American counterattack during retreat from Quebec fails.
- Battle of Long Island 27 August – William Howe crushes George Washington.
- Battle of Harlem Heights 16 September – Washington repels Howe.
- Battle of Valcour Island 11 October – Benedict Arnold escapes the British fleet under Guy Carleton.
- Battle of Pell's Point 18 October – British forces defeat Colonel John Glover's forces.
- Battle of White Plains 28 October – Howe inflicts casualties on George Washington's army.
- Battle of Trenton 26 December – Washington surprises Hessian force.
- Battle of Fort Cumberland (22 November – 28 December) – American attack on fort in Nova Scotia fails.
- 1777 –
- Second Battle of Trenton – 2 January – After winning during the day, Washington slips away by night.
- Battle of Princeton – 3 January
- Battle of Bound Brook – 13 April – Successful British attack during American Revolution
- Siege of Fort Ticonderoga – Americans abandon fort to avoid British artillery.
- Battle of Oriskany – 6 August – General Herkimer killed in British ambush.
- Battle of Bennington – 16 August – John Stark eradicates detachment sent by Burgoyne.
- Battle of Brandywine – 11 September – Howe drives George Washington's troops to Philadelphia.
- Battle of 1st Saratoga Freeman's Farm – 19 September – Morgan defeats Burgoyne.
- Battle of Germantown – 4 October – Howe kills 700 patriots while losing 534.
- Battle of 2nd Saratoga – 7 October – Gates (Benedict Arnold) defeats Burgoyne.
- Battle of Stillwater
- 1778 –
- Battle of Crooked Billet – 1 May – American contingent forced to abandon their supplies.
- Battle of Monmouth – 28 June – George Washington stands off Clinton, Clinton continues retreat to NY, Charles Lee order of retreat leads to court-martial.
- Battle of Alligator Bridge – 30 June – American attack thwarted because of terrain, including ditch dug by British.
- First Battle of Ushant – Indecisive naval battle
- Battle of St. Lucia – 15 December – British naval victory
- 1779 –
- First Battle of Tucson – 9 December – Spanish victory over Apache warriors
- Battle of Kettle Creek – 14 February – Pickens defeats loyalist brigade.
- Battle of Vincennes – 23–25 February – Americans capture fort.
- Battle of Brier Creek – 3 March – Ashe loses 350 men near Augusta to British.
- Battle of Grenada – 6 July – French naval victory
- Battle of Stony Point – 16 July – Wayne takes 700 prisoners in bayonet attack with only 15 patriot casualties.
- Battle of Paulus Hook – 19 August – Henry Lee drives British from New Jersey.
- Battle of Newtown – 29 August – Americans defeat Iroquois.
- Battle of Fort Bute – 7 September – Spanish victory over British forces
- Battle of Lake Pontchartrain - 10 September - Americans led by William Pickles capture West Florida.
- Battle of Baton Rouge (1779) – 20–21 September – Spanish capture city.
- Siege of Savannah – 16 September – 18 October – American siege fails.
- 1780 –
- Battle of Cape St. Vincent (1780) – 16 January – British fleet under Admiral Sir George Rodney destroys a smaller Spanish fleet under Don Juan de Lángara.
- Battle of Fort Charlotte (2–14 March) – Spanish victory near Mobile, Alabama
- Battle of Martinique – 17 April – Indecisive naval battle between British and French
- Battle of Pollilur – Tipu Sultan routs British.
- Siege of Charleston – 12 May – British take South Carolina city.
- Battle of Saint Louis – 26 May – British unable to take town from Spanish.
- Battle of Springfield – 23 June – Greene defeats British.
- Battle of Camden – 16 August – Cornwallis crushes Gates, 900 patriots killed.
- Battle of Fishing Creek – 18 August – Tarleton defeats Sumter.
- Battle of King's Mountain – 7 October – Patriots capture loyalists.
- 1781 –
- Battle of Mobile – British unable to retake city.
- Battle of Cowpens – 17 January – Morgan defeats Tarleton.
- Battle of Guilford Court House – 15 March – Cornwallis achieves a Pyrrhic victory over Greene and Morgan.
- Battle of Porto Praya – 16 April – French admiral Suffren damages English naval squadron.
- Battle of Hobkirk's Hill – 25 April – Greene defeats Lord Rawdon.
- Battle of Fort Royal – 29–30 April – Indecisive naval battle
- Battle of Pensacola – 9 March – 8 May – Spanish victory in Florida
- Shirley's Gold Coast expedition – Start of the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War
- Battle of Dogger Bank – Indecisive naval battle between Britain and the Netherlands
- Battle of the Chesapeake – 5 September – French fleet, under Admiral Comte de Grasse, defeat British fleet under Admiral Thomas Graves, seals Cornwallis' fate. This French victory is a strategic victory that leads Cornwallis to surrender in Yorktown.
- Battle of Groton Heights – 6 September – British seize fort, Benedict Arnold triggers a gunpowder explosion.
- Battle of Eutaw Springs – 8 September – Greene is defeated.
- Battle of Yorktown – 28 September – 19 October – French and Americans begin siege of Cornwallis.
- Siege of Negapatam 21 October – first British major offensive military action on the Indian subcontinent
- Second Battle of Ushant – 12 December – French convoy destroyed by British before escort ships can react.
- 1782 –
- Battle of Fort Elmina (1782) 18 February – British expedition against Dutch colonial outposts on the Gold Coast of Africa
- Second Battle of Tucson – 1 May – Spanish victory over Apache warriors
- Battle of St. Kitts – 25–26 January – British outmaneuver French but unable to save island.
- Battle of Sadras – 17 February – French admiral Suffren (12 ships) meets a British squadron of 9 ships under Admiral Sir Edward Hughes.
- Battle of Wuchale – 14 March – Emperor Tekle Giyorgis pacifies a group of Oromo near Wuchale.
- Battle of the Saintes – 12 April – Admiral Sir George Rodney defeats the Comte de Grasse by breaking through the French line.
- Battle of Providien – 12 April – French and English squadrons clash in an indecisive engagement.
- Battle of Negapatam – 6 July – Indecisive engagement between British and French fleets
- Battle of Blue Licks – 19 August – Decisive British victory
- Battle of Trincomalee – 3 September – British fleet under Hughes damages French fleet under Suffren but withdraws.
- Battle of Chillicothe – 10 November – George Rogers Clark defeats Shawnees in last battle of war.
- 1783 Battle of Cuddalore – 20 June – French fleet drives British fleet off shore of Cuddalore. Last of the five battles between Suffren and Hughes
- Fourth Battle of Tucson – 21 March – Apache/Navaho victory over Spanish forces
- 1788 Battle of Madab – Ras Ali, Dejazmach Hailu Eshte, and the Emperor Tekle Giyorgis I defeat the allied forces of Ras Haile Yosadiq, Dejazmach Gebre, and Wolde Gabriel; Dejazmach Wolde Gabriel is killed in battle and the pretender Baeda Maryam was captured.
- 1789 Battle of Turnhout – 27 October – Belgian rebels defeat Austrian army.
- 1790 –
- 1791 Battle of the Wabash – Arthur St Clair defeated by Indians.
- Battle of Zieleńce – 18 June – Josef Poniatowski wins a battle against a Russian army group under command of General Markov.
- Battle of Verdun (1792) – 20 August – Prussians defeat French Revolutionaries.
- Battle of Valmy – 20 September – French win and proceed to declare war on Europe.
- Battle of Jemappes – November – French army, under General Dumouriez, defeats Austrians under General Saxe-Tenchen.
- 1793 –
- Battle of Neerwinden – Austrians defeat French army.
- Siege of Toulon – Napoleon's first battle – the French Republicans defeat a combined Allied force in a crucial siege.
- Battle of Méribel – Combined Savoy, Piedmont and Valdot forces fought the French occupying Savoy.
- Battle of Hondschoote (1793) – French army, under General Houchard, defeats British, Hanoverians and Hessians under General Walmoden.
- Battle of Wattignies – 15 and 16 October – French army, under Generals Jourdan and Carnot, defeats Austrians under General Saxe-Coburg.
- Battle of Kaiserslautern – 28–30 November – Prussian army under Brunswick defeats French Army under Hoche.
- Battle of Gilette – French army, under General Dugommier, defeats Austrians, Piedmontese and Sardinian army.
- Battle of Woerth – 22 December – French army, under General Hoche, defeats Austrians under General Hotze.
- Battle of Geisberg – 26 December – French army, under General Hoche, defeats Austrians under Wumrser and Prussians under Brunswick.
- 1794 –
- Battle of Racławice – 4 April – Polish forces under Tadeusz Kościuszko defeat larger Russian force but are unable to give chase.
- Warsaw Uprising of 1794 – 17–19 April – Polish drive Russians out of city.
- Wilno Uprising of 1794 – 22 April – Russians expelled from city.
- Battle of Boulou – 30 April – French army, under General Dugommier, defeats Spanish army.
- Glorious First of June – 28 May – 1 June – British Admiral Lord Howe defeats a French squadron under Villaret.
- Battle of Szczekociny – 6 June – Tadeusz Kościuszko defeated by Russo-Prussian army.
- Battle of Mouescron – 29 April – French army, under General Moreau and General Souham, defeats Austrians and Hanoverians under General Saxe-Coburg.
- Battle of Tourcoing – 18 May – French army, under General Souham, defeats Austrians, British and Hanoverians under General Saxe-Coburg.
- Battle of Fleurus (1794) – 26 June – French army, under General Jourdan, defeats Austrian army under General Saxe-Coburg.
- Battle of Sprimont – September – French army, under General Jourdan, defeats Austrians under General Clairfayt.
- Battle of Aldenhoven – 2 October – French army, under General Jourdan, defeats Austrians under General Clairfayt.
- Battle of Fallen Timbers – 20 August – Wayne defeats Indians, ends menace.
- Battle of Maciejowice – 10 October – Koscuiszko defeated by two Russian forces, wounded, and captured.
- Battle of Praga – 4 November – Russian forces retake Warsaw, massacring civilians and devastating the city.
- Battle of San Lorenzo de la Muga – 20 November – French army, under General Perignon, defeats Spanish army.
- 1795 –
- Battle of Richmond Hill - Major battle of the Hawkesbury and Nepean Wars
- Capture of Trincomalee (1795) – The taking by force of the port of Trincomalee in the island of Ceylon
- Battle of Muizenberg 7 August – British gain control of Cape Colony over the Dutch.
- Battle of Krtsanisi – Persians annihilate the Georgian army and proceed to massacre Tbilisi.
- Battle of Loano – November – French army, under General Andre Massena, defeats Austrians, Piedmontese and Sardinian army.
- 1796 –
- Battle of Montenotte – 12 April – Napoleon's first victory in the Italian Campaign, French army defeat Austrians.
- Battle of Dego – April – French army, under General Napoleon Bonaparte, defeats Austrians under General Beaulieu.
- Battle of Lodi – 10 May – French army, under Gen. Napoleon Bonaparte, defeats Austrians under General Beaulieu.
- Battle of Derbent – 10 May – Russians storm the Persian citadel of Derbent.
- Battle of Castiglione – 5 August – French army, under Napoleon Bonaparte, defeats Austrians under General Wurmser.
- Battle of Würzburg – 3 September – Karl Habsburg defeats French under Gen. Jourdan.
- Battle of Bassano – - 8 September – French army, under Bonaparte, defeats Austrian army.
- Battle of the Bridge of Arcole – 17 November – French army, under Bonaparte, defeats Austrian army.
- Battle of Millesimo – French army, under Bonaparte, wins a victory in Italy against Austrians and Piedmontese.
- Battle of Mondovì – French army, under Bonaparte, wins a victory in Italy against Austrians and Piedmontese.
- 1797 –
- Battle of Rivoli – 14 January – Napoleon's first decisive victory, French army wins a great victory against Austrians under General Alvinzy.
- Battle of Tagliamento French army, under general Napoleon Bonaparte, defeats Austrians under Archduke Charles.
- Battle of Neuwied (1797) – 20 April – French army, under General Hoche, defeats Austrians under General Wenecek.
- Battle of Dierscheim – 20 April – French army, under General Moreau, Desaix and Davout, defeats Austrians under Kray.
- Battle of Cape St Vincent – 14 February – British admiral Jervis defeats Spanish fleet.
- Battle of Camperdown – British fleet under Admiral Duncan defeats a Dutch fleet.
- 1798 –
- Battle of Ballymore-Eustace – 24 May – Rebels unable to take stronghold during Irish Rebellion of 1798.
- Battle of Naas – 24 May – Rebel attack barely thwarted during Irish Rebellion of 1798.
- Battle of Kilcullen – 24 May – Government cavalry charge defeats rebels.
- Battle of Carlow – 25 May – Rebels defeated by two ambushes after believing they had won.
- Battle of Tara Hill – 26 May – British victory, spread of rebellion halted.
- Battle of Oulart Hill – 27 May – Wexford militia annihilated by Rebels.
- Gibbet Rath massacre – 29 May – Unprovoked British attack
- Battle of Three Rocks – 30 May – Rebel victory during Irish Rebellion of 1798
- Battle of Bunclody – 1 June – British surprise counterattack after apparent Irish victory routs rebels.
- Battle of Tuberneering – 4 June – Rebel victory in Ireland
- Battle of New Ross – 5 June – British victory, spread of rebellion into two counties halted.
- Battle of Antrim – 7 June – British victory, Lord O'Neill mortally wounded.
- Battle of Arklow – 9 June – British victory, Wexford rebels forced onto the defensive.
- Battle of Prosperous – 23 May – 19 June – settlement changes hands twice, ultimately controlled by Government forces.
- Battle of Foulksmills – 20 June – British victory during Irish Rebellion of 1798
- Battle of Vinegar Hill – 21 June – British retake Wexford.
- Battle of Ballyellis – 30 June – British charge into a disaster, thinking they were attacking the rearguard of fleeing forces.
- Battle of the Pyramids – 21 July – Napoleon defeats Mameluks in Egypt.
- Battle of the Nile – 1 August – French fleet in Abukir Bay destroyed by Horatio Nelson.
- Battle of Castlebar – 27 August – Franco-Irish army defeats British forces.
- Battle of Ballinamuck – 8 September – British forces defeat Ireland and France.
- Battle of Civita Castelana – 4 December – French and Poles under Gen. Macdonald defeat Neapolitans under Gen. Mack.
- 1799 –
- Siege of El Arish – 19 February – French capture Ottoman fort.
- Siege of Jaffa – 7 March – Napoleon captures city.
- Siege of Acre – 20 March – 21 May – Unsuccessful attempt by Napoleon to capture city
- First Battle of Zürich – 4 June – 7 – Austrians defeat French, later driven out.
- Battle of Trebia – 17 June – 19 – Russians and Austrians defeat French during War of the Second Coalition.
- Battle of Abukir (1799) – 25 July – Napoleon and Joachim Murat defeat Turks.
- Battle of Novi (1799) – 15 August – Austrian and Russians beat French, Joubert is defeated and killed.
- Battle of Callantsoog 27 August – Amphibious landing by a British invasion force, Dutch were forced to retreat.
- Battle of Krabbendam 10 September – British division had established a bridgehead in the extreme north of Holland.
- Battle of Bergen – 19 September – French beat English and Russians.
- Battle of Linth (1799) – 25 September – French army, under General Soult, defeats Austrians under General Hotze.
- Second Battle of Zurich – 25 September – French under General Massena defeat Russians under Alexander Korsakov.
- Battle of Alkmaar – 2 Oktober – Dutch-French coalition prevents a Russian-English invasion in Holland.
- Battle of Castricum 6 Oktober – Franco-Dutch force defeats an Anglo-Russian force.
- 1800 –
- Battle of Engen – 3 May – French army, under General Moreau, defeats Austrians under General Kray.
- Battle of Stokach – 3 May – French army, under General Lecourbe, defeats Austrians.
- Battle of Möerskirch – 15 May – French army, under General Moreau, defeats Austrians under General Kray.
- Battle of Montebello – 9 June – French army, under General Lannes, defeats Austrians under General Ott.
- Battle of Marengo – 14 June – French army, under Bonaparte, defeats Austrians under Baron von Melas.
- Battle of Höchstädt (1800) – 19 June – French army, under General Moreau, defeats Austrians under General Kray.
- Battle of Hohenlinden – 3 December – French army, under General Moreau, defeats Austrians and Bavarians under Archduke John.
- Battle of Pozzolo – 25 December – French army, under General Brune, defeats Austrians under General Bellegarde.