List of best-selling albums in the Philippines
This is a list of best-selling albums in the Philippines. This list can contain any types of albums, including studio albums or extended plays, live albums, greatest hits or compilations, various artists, and soundtracks, either from domestic or international artists. The Philippine Association of the Record Industry or PARI is the organization responsible for awarding record certifications in the Philippines. Album certifications include both physical and digital sales. PARI is a member of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).
Music certifications before 1990 were only awarded by record labels of their artists through their own guidelines until PARI took the obligation. PARI's early policy at that time was that released albums in the country can only be certified Platinum if they were sold at least 40,000 copies, eventually they would receive Diamond award when they reach ten times, at 400,000. This rule was granted until 2006 when PARI changed it down to 30,000 units. It was not until October 2007 that thresholds for albums were distinguished between the local and international repertoire. In local release, PARI made it into 30,000 copies, same that of the previous rule, but parted away from the international release, decreased it into 20,000 copies. On February 2008, PARI again decided to change the guidelines. This time, they made 25,000 copies for local albums and 15,000 for international albums. This latter did not take until December 2009 when PARI decreased five-thousand copies for local albums for a requirement as a Platinum-certified album when they made it to 20,000, while still remained 15,000 for international-released albums, same from the previous one.
Currently, domestic repertoire again shares the same thresholds along with the international repertoire, same that of the 1999—2006/2007 rule. As the album could be one of the best-sellers, a new criteria was told that the figure must be published by a reliable or acceptable source and that the album must have sold at least 150,000 units for both domestic and international albums in the country which was already implemented on March 2012. This is the reason why album(s) such as Fearless, although considered, has not been fully included on this list.
Some albums that were released before 1999, though they were only sold 150,000 copies or a little bit higher from that without following a certain prior era of required certification, are now included on the list. For instance, those albums such as Regine Velasquez's Retro and Gary Valenciano's Greatest Hits album which both were only sold 160,000 units each and released in 1996 and 1997, as well as Jolina Magdangal's Jolina, only sold 180,000 copies, released in 1998, though didn't make it up to sell 200,000 copies and above, are now allowed to include on the list which they follow the March 2012 of PARI's certification requirement.
On the list, Thalía's Nandito Ako is the best-selling album of all time in the Philippines, and it is estimated to have sold one million copies nationwide. The two albums of Jose Mari Chan, Constant Change and Christmas in Our Hearts, are still remaining the best-selling albums by a local artist in the country with the estimated sales of 800,000 copies of each of these albums (16 million copies in total).
Regine Velasquez currently has the highest number of albums on the entry with five (along with her soundtrack album Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw). Other artists such as Eraserheads and Rivermaya have three albums on the list, while Gary Valenciano, Jaya, Jolina Magdangal, Jose Mari Chan, MYMP, Smokey Mountain and Westlife each have two.
|pink||Released before PARI began awarding certifications|
|purple||Released after PARI began awarding certifications|
|†||Disregarded but still included on the list as its sales may increase|
|cyan||Formerly disregarded, but are now included based on the current criteria of certification|
|No.||Album||Artist||Year of release||Number of copies sold||Number of times
|1||Nandito Ako||Thalía||1997||1,000,000||2× (Diamond)|||
|2||Christmas in Our Hearts||Jose Mari Chan||1990||800,000||23×|||
|3||Constant Change||Jose Mari Chan||1989||800,000||20×|||
|8||Coast to Coast||Westlife||2000||270,000||9×|||
|11||Born for You: His Best & More||David Pomeranz||1999||255,000
|12||Isn't It Romantic?||Sharon Cuneta||2006||250,000||10×|||
|13||Smokey Mountain||Smokey Mountain||1989||245,000||8×|||
|14||Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw||Original soundtrack||2000||240,000||6×|||
|17||Ten Years Together||APO Hiking Society||1980||224,000||7×|||
|18||Just Can't Help Feelin'||Jessa Zaragoza||1997||223,000||7×|||
|19||Pagdating ng Panahon||Aiza Seguerra||2001||220,000||7×|||
|20||Popstar: A Dream Come True||Sarah Geronimo||2003||216,800||9×|||
|21||Habang May Buhay||Donna Cruz||1995||210,000||7×|||
|25||Kitchie Nadal||Kitchie Nadal||2004||215,000||7×|||
|28||Versions / Beyond Acoustic||MYMP||2005||211,000||7×|||
|30||A Wonderful Christmas||Christian Bautista||2010||200,000||10×|||
|31||In The Raw||Jaya||1997||200,000||5×|||
|32||Regine Live: Songbird Sings the Classics||Regine Velasquez||2001||200,000||5×|||
|33||Covers, Vol. 1||Regine Velasquez||2004||200,000||4×|||
|36||Greatest Hits||Gary Valenciano||1997||160,000||4×|||
|37||On Memory Lane||Jolina Magdangal||2000||160,000||4×|||
|40||Fearless †||Taylor Swift||2008||135,000 †||9×|||
- Music in the Philippines
- Philippine Association of the Record Industry
- List of best-selling albums: by country, or worldwide
- "2006 - Oct. 2007 International Certification Award levels". IFPI. Archived from the original on January 9, 2007.
- "Oct. 2007 - Feb. 2008 International Certification Award levels". IFPI. Archived from the original on February 27, 2008.
- "Feb. 2008 - Dec. 2009 International Certification Award levels". IFPI. Archived from the original on June 25, 2008.
- "Dec. 2009 - Mar. 2012 International Certification Award levels". IFPI. Archived from the original on February 15, 2010.
- "International Certification Award levels as of March 2013". IFPI.
- A video from Rommel R. Llanes courtesy of Peparazzo (2012-11-21). "Ogie Alcasid: "'Nandito Ako,' sold more than a million records..."". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 08-11-2013.
- Camille Banzon (2013-08-19). "Happy 50th Birthday, Cassette Tape: 50 Trivia to Celebrate Your Invention!". FHM Philippines. Summit Media. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Ricky Lo (12-02-2011). "The story behind Joe Mari's double-diamond Christmas song". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Peachy Vibal-Guioguio (2005-12-12). "ASAP launches 1st Platinum Circle Awards". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Ricardo F. Lo (10-12-2009). "20 years with Constant Change". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- Ruben Cruz, Jr. (2001-05-15). "Westlife Brings 'Coast To Coast' Tour in Manila". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Don Jaucian (2012-08-25). "The life and death of OPM". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Nina turns diamond". BusinessWorld. 03-04-2010.
- David Gonzales (1999). "Global Music Impulse". Billboard. Google Books. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Rodelito Mamuad (2009-09-23). "20 to try: Filipino albums (page 1)". The Knowledge. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- Rodelito Mamuad (2009-09-23). "20 to try: Filipino albums (page 2)". The Knowledge. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- David Gonzales. "David Pomeranz's 'Born for You: His Best & More' : An Overview". Allmusic. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- David Pomeranz. "Sold Out Across the Philippines". The Official Website of David Pomeranz. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Belle Yambao (03-10-2011). "Filipina Divas: Over 20 Female Singers". Female Network. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Regine Velasquez Top 8 in 100 Stars Who Ruled The Decade by YES! Magazine, May 2010 Issue". Summit Media. 05-01-2010.
- "The girl with the Platinum touch". The Philippine Star's. Pilipino Star Ngayon. 2000-12-24. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Regine's Awards". RegineMultimedia.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Rodelito Mamuad (2009-09-23). "20 to try: Filipino albums (page 3)". The Knowledge. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "Sarah Geronimo About OFFICIAL by Viva Interactive". Viva Interactive. Viva Interactive Staff. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "Sarah Geronimo's Big Moment". The Philippine Star. 2005-08-25. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Rodelito Mamuad (2009-09-23). "20 to try: Filipino albums (page 4)". The Knowledge. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "Christian Bautista Receives Elusive Diamond Record Award". Courtesy of Manila Bulletin. Published on 12-06-2011.
- y Abby Mendoza (12-06-2011). "Christian Bautista is now a Diamond Record artist". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Gary V Has a Lot to be Thankful for". Courtesy of Manila Bulletin. Published on 07-18-2004.
- "Gary V. gets multi-platinum award". The Philippine Star. 2004-07-20. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Gary V's Platinum & Gold Harvest". The Philippine Star. 12-03-2000. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- PRSP. "Jolina Magdangal". Performers Rights Society of the Philippines. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Sponge Cola receives Diamond Record Award for 'Tambay'". Courtesy of Manila Bulletin. Published on 12-08-2011.
- "Sponge Cola's Tambay EP sold more than 150,000 units". Philippine Entertainment Portal. 12-08-2011. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Taylor Swift receives 9X Platinum Award for her Fearless album". Philippine Entertainment Portal. GMA New Media and Summit Media. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2011-06-16.