List of best-selling singles by year in the United Kingdom
This is a list of the best-selling singles on the UK Singles Chart for each year. Note that the Number sold section denotes the amount sold within the year, not in total, as very often the single continues to sell more in later years (and sometimes other singles released within a particular year will go on to outsell the year-end winner (e.g. Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan's "Especially for You" (from 1988) ultimately outsold "Mistletoe and Wine")).
Best-selling singles by year
* denotes cause/charity release
- General (list positions)
- Lane, Dan (18 November 2012). "The biggest selling singles of every year revealed! (1952-2011)". London: Official Charts Company. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- The Complete Book of British Charts by Warwick/Kutner/Brown (sales for earlier years)
- BPI certifications - Best sellers 2001 - 2005[dead link]
- Hunter Davies Official Biography
- Billboard Magazine, 7 January 1967, Page 38
- "Shaggy's single is UK's best-seller". BBC News. 27 December 2001. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Leona sells most singles in 2007". Newsround. CBBC. 31 December 2007. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Billboard. "Alexandra Burke top selling single of 2008". Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- What HiFi? Sound and Vision. "Discs and downloads". Retrieved 10/1/2010. Check date values in:
- The Official Charts Company. "Eminem/Rihanna & Take That scoop 2010 crowns". Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- The Official Charts Company. "The Top 20 biggest selling singles of 2011 revealed!". Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- "The Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles of 2012 revealed!". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- Official Charts Company. "The Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles Of 2013". Retrieved 2014-01-01.