List of butters
This is a list of notable butters. Butters are spread food products that are prepared in a paste, syrup or liquid style, often from ground foods such as fruits and nuts. Butters are commonly used as a spread or filling on or in other foods. A well-known butter is the common butter dairy product that is made by churning fresh or fermented cream or milk.
- Hazelnut butter
- Illipe butter
- Kokum butter
- Mango butter
- Maple butter
- Moambe – also referred to as palm butter, or palm cream, is a type of sauce or dish usually made from the pericarp (not the seeds) of palm nuts, the fruit of the African oil palm (Elaeis guineensis) tree, in western Middle Africa.
- Nut butter
- Nutmeg butter
- Palm butter – a spread made of palm oil designed to imitate dairy butter
- Peanut butter
- Pistachio butter 
- Plum butter
- Sal butter
- Shea butter
- Soybean butter – generally called "soynut butter" and made from soynuts (roasted soybeans)
- Sunflower butter
- Sirop de Liège
- Walnut butter
- Yak butter
Packaged dairy butter
Freshly-prepared clarified butter
Shea butter is mainly used in the cosmetics industry for skin and hair related products.
- Ardekani, A. S. H.; Shahedi, M.; Kabir, G. (2009). "Optimizing Formulation of Pistachio Butter Production" (PDF). Journal of Science and Technology of Agriculture and Natural Resources 13 (47): 49–59.
- Ardakani; Shahedi, M.; Kabir, G. (2006). Optimizing of the process of pistachio butter production. Acta Horticulturae 726. pp. 565–568.
- Shurtleff, W.; Aoyagi, A.. 2012. "History of Soynuts and Soynut Butter... (1068-2012)." Lafayette, California: Soyinfo Center. 590 pp. (1,336 references, 114 photos and illustrations. Free online).
- Krampner, Jon (2013). Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food. Columbia University Press.