List of cities in Luxembourg
There are twelve cities in Luxembourg, as defined by statute. Despite the status as cities, they are not coherent urbanised areas. They are similar to communes, but are elevated to a different legal status. There is a technical difference between the statuses of commune and cities, but this is limited in practicality. One difference is that échevins in cities are formally appointed by the Grand Duke, whereas échevins for other communes are appointed by the Minister for the Interior.
Historically, this status was derived from a city's possession of a city charter, but city rights are now granted and regulated by statute. In the modern era, the status was first conferred on 24 February 1843, when seven of the eight cities that had previously been granted charters were reinstated as cities (Clervaux was not). They were (in the order given in the law): Luxembourg City, Diekirch, Grevenmacher, Echternach, Wiltz, Vianden, and Remich.
For over sixty years, no more cities were added, but the vast demographic shift during the last part of the nineteenth century made it impossible to leave the arrangements unchanged. Thus, on 29 May 1906, Esch-sur-Alzette was promoted; Esch was followed by Differdange, Dudelange, Ettelbruck, and Rumelange on 4 August 1907. An area of the (now extinct) commune of Hollerich was conferred the title on 7 April 1914, under the title of 'Hollerich-Bonnevoie'; this status was lost when Hollerich was merged into Luxembourg City on 26 March 1920.
The last such statute affecting city status in Luxembourg was the Loi communale du 13 décembre 1988. In the order outlined in that legislation (i.e. alphabetical, except with Luxembourg City first), the twelve communes with city status are: Luxembourg City, Diekirch, Differdange, Dudelange, Echternach, Esch-sur-Alzette, Ettelbruck, Grevenmacher, Remich, Rumelange, Vianden, and Wiltz.
List of cities
|Coat of arms||Name||Canton||District||Area
(As of 2005[update])
|Date of law|
|Diekirch||Diekirch||12.42||6,165||24 February 1843|
|Esch-sur-Alzette||Luxembourg||22.18||19,005||4 August 1907|
|Esch-sur-Alzette||Luxembourg||21.38||17,618||4 August 1907|
|Echternach||Grevenmacher||20.49||4,507||24 February 1843|
|Esch-sur-Alzette||Luxembourg||14.35||28,000||29 May 1906|
|Diekirch||Diekirch||15.18||7,364||4 August 1907|
|Grevenmacher||Grevenmacher||16.48||3,966||24 February 1843|
|Luxembourg||Luxembourg||51.46||76,420||24 February 1843|
|Remich||Grevenmacher||5.29||2,986||24 February 1843|
|Esch-sur-Alzette||Luxembourg||6.83||4,495||4 August 1907|
|Vianden||Diekirch||9.67||1,561||24 February 1843|
|Wiltz||Diekirch||19.37||4,587||24 February 1843|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cities in Luxembourg.|
- (French) "Mémorial A, 1988, No. 64" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1843, No. 17" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-09-07.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1906, No. 34" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-09-07.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1907, No. 42" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-09-07.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1914, No. 18" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-10-06.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1920, No. 23" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- (French) "Mémorial A, 1988, No. 64" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-09-07.