List of municipalities in Nova Scotia
This is a list of incorporated municipalities in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia. Incorporated municipalities in Nova Scotia are either counties, towns or regional municipalities and are incorporated under the Municipal Government Act. This act gives municipal councils the power to make bylaws for “health, well being, safety and protection of persons” and “safety and protection of property” in addition to a few express powers. There are no incorporated cities in Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia has three regional municipalities.
Nova Scotia has three former cities, which were added to the regional municipalities in the 1990s. They are:
- Halifax, was the capital city of Nova Scotia, but became part of the Halifax Regional Municipality, which remains Nova Scotia's capital
- Dartmouth, was the second largest city in Nova Scotia, but became part of the Halifax Regional Municipality
- Sydney, was the smallest city in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island's largest settlement, but became part of the Cape Breton Regional Municipality
A town is a type of municipality in the Canadian Province of Nova Scotia. Towns are incorporated by order by the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board pursuant to sections 383 through 388 of Nova Scotia's Municipal Government Act.
Nova Scotia had 31 towns at the time of the 2011 Census. This total was reduced to 30 when Canso dissolved on July 1, 2012 to become part of the Municipality of the District of Guysborough. In the 2011 Census, the remaining 30 towns had a cumulative population of 106,564 and an average population of 3,552. Nova Scotia's largest and smallest towns are Truro and Annapolis Royal with populations of 12,059 and 481 respectively.
Nova Scotia has 12 municipal districts.
List of municipalities
|Cape Breton||Regional Municipality||97,398||102,250||−4.7||2,433.35||40.0|
|East Hants||Municipal District||22,111||21,397||3.3||1,786.47||12.4|
|St. Mary's||Municipal District||2,354||2,587||−9.0||1,909.59||1.2|
|West Hants||Municipal District||14,165||13,871||2.1||1,241.95||11.4|
|Total regional municipalities||-||498,411||486,106||2.5||10,316.48||48.3|
|Total municipal districts||-||124,077||126,359||−1.8||17,004.18||7.3|
- Demographics of Nova Scotia
- Geography of Nova Scotia
- List of census agglomerations in Atlantic Canada
- List of communities in Nova Scotia
- List of counties of Nova Scotia
- List of designated places in Nova Scotia
- List of population centres in Nova Scotia
- List of towns in Nova Scotia
- List of villages in Nova Scotia
- "Municipal Government Act". Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly. June 19, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Nova Scotia)". Statistics Canada. December 18, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Decision NSUARB-MB-10-2". Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board. January 19, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2013.