List of cities in the North East and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands by population
||It has been suggested that this article be split into multiple articles. (Discuss) Proposed since December 2013.|
This is a list of urban agglomerations and cities (those not included in the Urban Agglomerations), with a population above 100,000 as per 2011 census in the Indian states of Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands:
List of cities by population
|Sr. No.||Name||State||Type*||Population 2011||Male||Female||Population
below 5 yrs
|13||Port Blair||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||City||100,608||53,247||47,361||9,358||89.76|
|* UA=Urban Agglomeration|
In the census of India 2011, an Urban Agglomeration has been defined as follows:
“An urban agglomeration is a continuous urban spread constituting a town and its adjoining outgrowths (OGs), or two or more physically contiguous towns together with or without outgrowths of such towns. An Urban Agglomeration must consist of at least a statutory town and its total population (i.e. all the constituents put together) should not be less than 20,000 as per the 2001 Census. In varying local conditions, there were similar other combinations which have been treated as urban agglomerations satisfying the basic condition of contiguity.”
Constituents of Urban Agglomerations in the North-East
The constituents of Urban Agglomerations in the North-East, with a population of 1 lakh or above, are noted below:
- Guwahati Urban Agglomeration includes Guwahati (M Corp.) and Narengi (OG).
- Silchar Urban Agglomeration includes Silchar (MB), Silchar XI (OG), Tarapur VIII (OG), Tarapur VII (CT), Kanakpur I (CT), Ambicapur Part-X (CT), Silchar Part-X (CT), Uttar Krishnapur Part-I (CT) and Kanakpur Part-II (CT).
- Dibrugarh Urban Agglomeration (UA) includes Dibrugarh (MB), Mahpowalimara Gohain Gaon (OG), Tekela Chiring Gaon (OG), Niz-Mankata (CT) and Barbari (AMC area) (CT).
- Bongaigaon Urban Agglomiration (UA) includes Bongaigaon (MB), Dhaligaon (OG), BGR Township (CT), New Bongaigaon Railway Colony (CT), Dangtol (OG), Borpara (OG), Chapaguri (OG), Kukurmari (OG), Bengtol Gate Area (OG), Dolaigaon (OG).
- Jorhat Urban Agglomeration (UA)includes Jorhat (MB), Chengeli Gaon (OG), Gohain Tekela Gaon (OG), Duliagaon (OG), Cinnamara Grant (OG), Toklai Cha Bagicha (OG), Sarbaibandha (OG), Chowdang No.1 (OG), Bohotia Gaon (OG), Sonari Gaon (OG), Kamalabaria Gaon (OG), Nakari Bamun Gaon (OG), Barbheta Chapari (OG), Kamalabaria N.C.(CT), Kumar kaibarta Gaon (CT) and Chekonidhara (CT).
- Nagaon Urban Agglomeration (UA) includes Nagaon (MB), Nartam Gaon (OG), Kachalukhowa (OG), Dimaruguri (CT), Chota Haibor (CT) and Morongial (CT).
- Tinsukia Urban Agglomeration (UA) includes Tinsukia (MB), Lahari Kachari Gaon (OG), Hengaluguri Gaon (OG), Bajatoli Gaon (OG), Hijuguri Gaon (OG), Tinsukia Town 24 No. Sheet (OG) - Ward No. 20, Kachujan Gaon (CT) and Bahbari gaon (CT).
- Tezpur Urban Agglomeration includes Tezpur MB, Bamun Chuburi Gaon (OG), Dekar Gaon (OG), Prabatia Gaon (OG), Hazarpar Dekar Gaon (OG), Deuri Gaon (OG), Barika Chuburi (CT), Majgaon (CT) and Gutlong Gaon (CT).
- Imphal Urban Agglomeration includes Lilong (Thoubal) (NP), Lilong (Imphal West) (Core Town) (NP), Langthabal Kunja (OG), Langthabal Mantrikhong (Part) (OG), Naorem Leikai (OG), Imphal (M Cl), Bijoigovinda (OG), Oinam Thingel (OG), Porompat Plan Area (OG), Kongkham Leikai(OG) (part), Lamshang (Core Town) (NP), Lamjaotongba (CT), Langjing (CT), Naoria Pakhanglakpa (CT), Takyel Mapal (CT), Sagolband (Part) (CT), Porompat (CT), Torban (Kshetri Leikai) (CT), Khongman (CT), Laipham Siphai (CT), Lairikyengbam Leikai (CT), Khurai Sajor Leikai (CT), Chingangbam Leikai (CT), Thongju (CT) and Kiyamgei (CT)
- Shillong Urban Agglomeration includes Shillong Cantonment (CB), Shillong Municipality (M), Mawlai (CT), Pynthorumkhrah (CT), Nongmynsong (CT), Mawpat (CT), Umpling (CT), Nongthymmai (CT), Madanrting (CT), Nongkseh (CT), Umlyngka (CT) and Lawsohtun (CT).
- Abbreviations: M Corp. = Municipal corporation, M= Municipality, M Cl = Municipal Council , MC = Municipal Committee, MB = Municipal Board, CT = Census town, OG= Out Growth, CB = Cantonment Board, NT = Notified Town
Urban Agglomeration constituents
Urban Agglomerations constituents with a population above 100,000 as per 2011 census are shown in the table below.
|Urban Agglomeration||Name of Constituent||State||Type||Population 2011||Male||Female||Population
below 5 yrs
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Urban Agglomerations and Cities". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Constituents of urban Agglomerations Having Population 1 Lakh & above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.