List of colleges and universities in Rhode Island
This is a list of colleges and universities in the U.S. state of Rhode Island, colleges and universities defined as being so listed by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education. There are currently 12 such institutions operating in the state, including nine universities, one associates college, and two special-focus institutions.
The state's three public institutions are administered by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education. The state operates two public universities, the University of Rhode Island and Rhode Island College, as well as the Community College of Rhode Island, which offers degrees at six locations. The Naval War College, operated by the federal United States Navy, is located in Newport. The oldest school in the state is Brown University, a member of the Ivy League and the only Rhode Island institution founded before the American Revolution. The newest is the Community College of Rhode Island, founded in 1964 in Providence as Rhode Island Junior College. Enrollment sizes range from the Naval War College at 550 students to the state's flagship public university, the University of Rhode Island, which serves over 15,000 students.
|Mount Saint Joseph College||Wakefield||1975|
|Rhode Island College of Pharmacy and Allied Sciences||Providence||1902||1957|
|Seminary of Our Lady of Providence||Warwick||1939||1975|
- Higher education in the United States
- List of American institutions of higher education
- List of recognized higher education accreditation organizations
- List of colleges and universities
- List of colleges and universities by country
^a The types listed here are as categorized in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
- "Institutions and Organizations". Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Membership Roster: Postsecondary Institutions New Hampshire". New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Archived from the original on 2007-10-13. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)". U.S. Department of Education National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2007-12-01.
- "History of Brown". Brown University. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Quick Facts About Bryant". Bryant University. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Our History". Community College of Rhode Island. Archived from the original on 2007-05-02. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- "The History of Johnson & Wales". Johnson & Wales University. Archived from the original on 2007-08-22. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Iraq War energizes Naval War College". Associate Press. 2003-04-01. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- Naval War College. "NWC History". Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- Eltsworth, Peter (2006-05-10). "NEIT trains tomorrow's auto pros". The Providence Journal. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- http://www.lincolnedu.com/campus/lincoln-ri. Retrieved 2007-10-05. Missing or empty
- "College History". Providence College. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "About RIC - History". Rhode Island College. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "RISD: About RISD". Rhode Island School of Design. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "History & Traditions". Roger Williams University. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Quick Facts". Salve Regina University. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "History of the University". University of Rhode Island. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- Page 123, Rhode Island: A Guide to the Smallest State (Federal Writers' Program, 1937)
- Page 244, The Civic and Architectural Development of Providence, 1636-1950 (John Hutchins Cady, 1957)
- "History: The Beginnings of Catholicism in Rhode Island". Roman Catholic Diocense of Providence. Retrieved 2007-12-19.