List of commemorative months
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (April 2013)|
The following is a list of notable observed commemorative months, that is, recurrent months that are used by various governments, groups and organizations to raise awareness of an issue, commemorate a group or event, or celebrate something.
- American Heart Month
- Black History Month (USA)
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month (Australia)
- Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
- LGBT History Month (UK)
- FBLA-PBL Inc. Week
- Irish-American Heritage Month
- National Celery Month
- National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
- National Essential Tremor Awareness Month
- National Nutrition Month
- National Professional Social Work Month
- National Women's History Month
- National Poetry Month
- Mathematics Awareness Month
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Child Abuse Prevention Month
- Parkinson Awareness Month
- Confederate History Month (Southern United States)
- National Safe Digging Month
- Autism Awareness Month
- National School Library Month
- National Minority Health Month
- National Arab-American Heritage Month
- National Fair Housing Month
- National Greyhound Adoption Month 
- ALS Awareness Month (United States)
- National Bike Month
- South Asian Heritage Month
- Haitian Heritage Month
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
- Asthma Awareness Month
- National Pet Month
- Celiac Awareness Month
- National Guide Dog Month (2008, 2009)
- Jewish American Heritage Month
- National Foster Care Month
- Williams Syndrome Awareness Month
- Adopt-a-Cat Month (United States)
- Freshman Awareness Month (Canada)
- Caribbean American Heritage Month
- LGBT Pride Month (United States)
- National Dairy Month (United States)
- National Safety Month (United States)
- Child Support Awareness Month (USA) 
- National Immunization Awareness Month (USA)
- Psoriasis Awareness Month - www.psoriasis.org.
- Life Insurance Awareness Month
- National Chiari Malformation Awareness Month
- National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- National Guide Dog Month (2010 to present)
- National Hispanic Heritage Month (U.S.; September 15 to October 15)
- National Honey Month
- Lymphoma Awareness Month
- National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
- National Preparedness Month (U.S.)
- Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
- National Yoga Month
- American Archives Month
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Black History Month (UK)
- Dyslexia Awareness Month 2012 
- National Book Month
- National Work and Family Month
- National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- National CyberSecurity Awareness Month
- Filipino American History Month
- LGBT History Month
- National Bullying Prevention Month
- National Down Syndrome Awareness Month
- National Youth Justice Awareness Month
- Spina Bifida Awareness Month
- National Pregnancy and Child Loss Awareness Month
- Dwarfism Awareness Month
- National American Indian & Alaska Native Heritage Month
- National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)
- National Epilepsy Awareness Month 
- Lung Cancer Awareness Month 
- National Caregivers' Month 
- National Hospice Palliative Care Month 
- National Adoption Month 
- List of observances in the United States by presidential proclamation
- Awareness days
- International observance
- List of environmental dates
- List of food months
- "NATIONAL MENTORING MONTH - Mentoring Works!". NationalMentoringMonth.org. 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Ovarian Cancer Australia. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- "Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: CTE Month". Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- "March 2013 Bizarre and Unique Holidays". Holiday Insights.com. 2013. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Rem, Kathryn (March 9, 2010). "Yesterday was National Crabmeat Day and you missed it". The State Journal-Register.
- "National ET Awareness Month". International Essential Tremor Foundation. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "National Nutrition Month". American Dietetic Association. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Mathematics Awareness Month".
- "Sexual Assault Awareness Month".
- "April is child abuse prevention month", The Milwaukee Sentinel, April 3, 1984
- History of National Child Abuse Prevention Month:, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- "Parkinson Awareness Month".
- "National Safe Digging Month".
- Autism Society:National Autism Awareness Month
- American Librarian Association: School Library Month, www.ala.org/
- National Minority Quality Forum: National Minority Healthy Month, http://www.nmqf.org/
- The Greyhound Project, Inc
- "Announcements: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Awareness Month – May 2011". Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. May 6, 2011. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- "May is Asthma Awareness Month". US EPA. 2010-10-04.
- "May is National Foster Care Month...You Can Change a Lifetime!".
- Williams Syndrome Association: Williams Syndrome Awareness Month
- "Adopt-A-Cat Month". . Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- Aglukkaq, Leona (Minister of Health, Government of Canada) (June 2010). "ALS Awareness Month (Lou Gehrig's Disease)". Health Canada. Retrieved March 30, 2012.
- "Presidential Proclamation--National Caribbean-American Heritage Month". White House Office of the Press Secretary. 2012-02-01.
- The White House Press Office: Presidential Proclamation--Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture: Celebrating All Things Dairy for National Dairy Month
- National Safety Council: National Safety Month 2013
- "Smart Irrigation Month- July".
- National Recreation and Park Association
- "National Health Observance Toolkit - August". Healthfinder.gov. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Conquer Chiari".
- OvarianCancerAwareness.org, a joint project of National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (Massachusetts Chapter), Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center, and M. Patricia Cronin Foundation. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- National Ovarian Cancer Coalition. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- "Presidential Proclamation--National Preparedness Month, 2010". White House Office of the Press Secretary. 27 Aug 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "American Archives Month: The Power of Collaboration". Society of American Archivists. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "October is National Book Month". National Book Foundation. 2008-10-31.
- "October is National Work and Family Month". Alliance for Work-Life Progress. 2011-10-01.
- "Presidential Proclamation--National Cybersecurity Awareness Month". White House Office of the Press Secretary. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- National Association for Down Syndrome
- "OJJDP Recognizes National Youth Justice Awareness Month". Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "October is National Spina Bifida Awareness Month" Spina Bifida Association: http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/site/c.evKRI7OXIoJ8H/b.8361041/
- "Native American Heritage Month". Library of Congress. 2011-02-04.
- National Novel Writing Month home page
- Epilepsy Foundation home page
- Lung Cancer Alliance
- Administration on Aging