List of compositions by Michael Finnissy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Eph-phatha (1989) 22.214.171.124-126.96.36.199-perc-hp-pno-str 13'
- Glad Day (1994) 2 (or recorders).0.0.0-0.2.0.0-hp (or theorbo)-chamber organ-str (min 188.8.131.52 (or bass violins).0) 13'
- Plain Harmony (1993) unspecified orchestral ensemble 12'
- Red Earth (1988) 3(III=picc).3.0.3-0.3.3.0-2didjeridus-4perc.2timpani-2 hp-str (min 10.10.8.6.7) 19'
- Speak its Name! (1996) 184.108.40.206-220.127.116.11-2vibraphones.timp-harp-¼ tone keyboard-strings (min 18.104.22.168.3) 22'
Chamber and instrumental music
- Bright Future ignoring Dark Past (2000) violin, cello, piano 3'30"
- Ének (1990) solo violin 9'
- Greatest Hits of all time (2003) oboe solo, picc.cl-pno-1perc-vla.vlc.cb 13'
- In stiller nacht (1990, rev. 1997) Independence Quadrilles (1995) violin, cello, and piano 7' & 5'
- Kulamen Dilan (1990) soprano saxophone [or oboe, or any clarinet] and percussion 10'
- Mars + Venus (1993) fl.ob.cl.bn-hn.tpt.tbn-perc-pno-2vn.va.vc.cb 15'
- Molly-House (2004) unspecified instrumental ensemble (players choose from a set of conventionally, and partially, notated parts alongside 17 'transcribed' Handel arias) variable duration
- Nowhere else to go (1989, rev. 2003) fl(+picc).cl(+bcl)-pno-vn.vc-tape 30'
- Obrecht Motetten I (1989) fl.cl.bn-tpt.tbn-perc-vn.va.vc 5'
- Obrecht Motetten II (1989) mandolin, guitar, and harp 10'
- Obrecht Motetten III (1989–93) viola solo or viola with ensemble: fl.cl.bn-2tpt.tbn-mandolin.gtr-hp 5'
- Obrecht Motetten IV (1990) brass quintet 14'
- Obrecht Motetten V (1992) fl(+picc).3ssax-hn.3tpt.3tbn-pno-cb 18'
- Plain Harmony (1993) string quartet 8'
- Post-Christian Survival Kit (2005) unspecified instruments or instrumental components, unspecified percussion, physical actions which inadvertently produce a sound c. 10'
- Recent Britain (1998) clarinet, bassoon, cello, and piano 25' ISBN 0-19-356450-5
- Seterjentens fridag (2003) hardanger fiddle or violin (either solo or with accompaniment for reed organ and piano, or either one (live or pre-recorded) and instrumental quartet) 7'
- Traum des Sängers (1994) clarinet, guitar, vibraphone, violin, viola, cello, and double bass 13'
- Two Scenes from "Shameful Vice" (1995) solo harp 6' not yet published
- Unknown Ground (1991) for baritone and piano trio
- Various Nations (1992) narrator and chamber ensemble: fl(+picc).cl-hn-perc-gtr-vn.vc 10'
- WAM (1991) piano and two unspecified treble instruments 15'
- Collected Shorter Piano Pieces Volume 1 solo piano Mazurka Op 142 No 2 - Two Pasodobles - Autumnall - Freightrain Bruise - Kemp's Morris - Short but... - GFH - BS - Taja - Lylyly li - Pimmel - Strauss-Walzer
- Collected Shorter Piano Pieces Volume 2 solo piano Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man - Romeo and Juliet are Drowning - Mazurka Op 142 No 1- Vieux Noël - Svatovac - Terekkeme - Australian Sea Shanties (Second Set) - William Billings - Liz - Rossini - John Cage - There never was such hard times before - Wenn wir in höchsten Nöthen sind - Cibavit eos - Cozy Fanny's Tootsies - My love is like a red, red, rose - De toutes flours - How Dear to Me - Stanley Stokes, East Street 1836 – Note on Stanley Stokes - Sometimes I... – French Piano - New Perspectives on Old Complexity - ...desde que naçe... – Yvaroperas 1–4
- English Country Tunes (1977/rev.1982–1985) solo piano
- Folklore (1993–4) solo piano I: 12', II: 25', III: 20', IV: 16'
- Gershwin Arrangements (1975–88) based on melodies by George Gershwin (solo piano): How long has this been going on? - Things are looking up - "A Foggy Day" - Love is here to stay - They can’t take that away from me - Shall we dance? - They’re writing songs of love, but not for me - Fidgety feet - Embraceable you - Waiting for the sun to come out - Innocent ingenue baby - Blah, blah, blah - Boy wanted. Score ISBN 0-19-372639-4 (for copyright reasons, this score is not available for sale or performance in the USA)
- More Gershwin (1989–90) based on melodies by George Gershwin (solo piano): Limehouse Nights - Wait a Bit, Susie - I'd Rather Charleston - Isn't It Wonderful! - Nobody But You - Swanee - Dixie Rose - Someone Believes in You - Nashville Nightingale.
- The History of Photography in Sound (1995–2001)
- 1. Le démon de l'analogie 25' - 2. Le réveil de l'intraitable réalité 15' - 3. North American Spirituals 20' - 4. My parents' generation thought War meant something 40' - 5. Alkan - Paganini 12' - 6. Seventeen Immortal Homosexual Poets 40' - 7. Eadweard Muybridge - Edvard Munch 25' - 8. Kapitalistisch Realisme (met Sizilianische Männerakte en Bachsche Nachdichtungen) 75' - 9. Wachtend op de volgende uitbarsting van repressie en censuur 12' - 10. Unsere Afrikareise 30' - 11. Etched bright with sunlight 25' - piano solo c. 320' (one of the longest non-repetitive piano pieces ever written)
- Is there any future for new music (2006)
- Tangos (1962–99) a collection of 23 short pieces solo piano 25 minutes
- Wee Saw Footprints (1990) nine short easy teaching pieces with a supplement solo piano 15'
- Four Organ Symphonies (2002–2009)
- Shameful Vice (1994) 3 sopranos, tenor, baritone, bass 2 clarinets, 2 trumpets, harp, guitar, 2 violins, and double bass text by the composer, based on the last days of Tchaikovsky's life 40'
- Thérèse Raquin (1992–3) soprano, mezzo-soprano, counter-tenor, baritone, and piano stage work based on the novel and play by Émile Zola 90'
- The Undivine Comedy (1986–8) soprano, counter-tenor, tenor, 2 baritones 2 piccolos, 2 oboes, 2 percussion, violin, viola, and cello stage work based on the play by Zygmunt Krasiński 110'
- Mankind (2007–08) - written for St. Peter's School, Solihull. Baritone and Alto soloists, male actor, three boys voices, SA semi-chorus, SATB choir, large unison chorus (150+) + string trio, piano, organ and ripieno children's orchestra. Dedicated to Leah and Stephen Lansberry and first performed in Olton Friary September 2008 - conducted by Stephen Lansberry. Based on the 15th-century morality play of the same name