List of converts to Hinduism from Islam
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of converts to Hinduism from Islam.
- Bukka I – King of Vijayanagara empire who converted to Islam, then reconverted. The early life of Bukka as well as his brother Hakka (also known as Harihara I) are relatively unknown and most accounts of their early life are based on theories.
- Vavar – a Muslim saint who became a devotee of Lord Ayyappan
- Khusro Khan - Forced to convert into Islam first, later he converted back to hinduism.
- Chander Mohan - Politician, converted to Islam upon marriage, later converted back to Hinduism.
- Nafisa Ali - Actress.
- Annapurna Devi (born Roshanara Khan) – surbahar (bass sitar) player and music teacher in the North Indian classical tradition. She converted to Hinduism upon marriage.
- Harilal Mohandas Gandhi – son of Mahatma Gandhi. Upon converting to Islam he adopted the name Abdullah Gandhi, but later again reverted to Hinduism.
- Asha Gawli – (born Ayesha) Wife of Arun Gawli, notorious gangster turned politician from Mumbai, India. She converted to Hinduism upon marriage.
- Harihara I – King of Vijayanagara Empire who converted to Islam, then reconverted
- Aashish Khan (born Aashish Khan Debsharma) – Indian musician
- Hassan Palakkode – Malayali writer on Islam
- Netaji Palkar – Maratha noble and commander-in-chief of the army of Shivaji, 19 June 1676.
- Sarmad – 17th century mystical poet and sufi saint, arrived from Persia to India, beheaded for assumed heresy by the Mughal emperor, Aurungzebe. Sarmad renounced Judaism, briefly converting to Islam and then Hinduism. He later denounced all religions and rejected belief in god.
- Anwar Shaikh – British author.
- Ifa Sudewi – Chief judge for the 2002 Bali bombing trials
- Khushboo Sundar – Tamil movie actress. She converted to Hinduism upon marriage.
- Haridas Thakura – Prominent Vaishnavite saint, instrumental in the early appearance and spread of Hare Krishna movement.
- Zubeida – Hindi film actress, on whose life story the film Zubeidaa was based. She converted to Hinduism upon marriage.
- Nalini Patel (born Nayyara Mirza) – Miss India finalist of 1967, was the first Muslim to participate in the pageant. She converted to Hinduism after marriage. She is settled in the USA.
- Sonam (born Bakhtawar Murad) – Wife of Bollywood director Rajiv Rai. She converted to Hinduism upon marriage. She is the niece of character actor Raza Murad and granddaughter of veteran character actor Murad. She is the cousin of actress Sanober Kabir.
- Dr.Mahendra al arya-hindu scholar and challenger to zakir naik.
- Bukka I
- Chopra, P.N. T.K. Ravindran and N. Subrahmaniam.History of South India. S. Chand, 2003. ISBN 81-219-0153-7
- Advanced Study In The History Of Medieval India - Vol I, Volume 1 By Jaswant Lal Mehta, pg. 185
- Nafisa Ali: A Lady Making A Difference
- Unveiling the mystique of a reclusive artiste The Hindu – June 28, 2006
- Watching 'Gandhi my Father' was painful: Tushar
- Daddy in jail, Mummy seeks votes for both – Indian express
- Indian musician goes back to roots OneIndia – August 23, 2006[dead link]
- Muslim scholar embraces Hinduism The Tribune, Chandigarh – April 7, 2000
- Sarmad, the mystic poet
- Hazrat Sarmad Shaheed: The Naked Sufi Martyr
- Hindu response to the demographic challenge – Koenraad Elst
- Five bombers were prepared to die in Bali – The Sunday Telegraph – Australia – Newstext
- Five bombers were prepared to die The Australian – May 25, 2003
- Southern siren Namitha has a temple NDTV – July 10, 2008
- Haridasa Thakura
- Zubeidaa’s secret Times of India – July 11, 2003
- "1964–1970". The Times Of India.