List of coupled cousins
- Johann Sebastian Bach and his second cousin, Maria Barbara Bach
- Josiah Bartlett, second signer of the United States Declaration of Independence, and his first cousin, Mary Bartlett
- Christine Boutin and her first cousin, Louis Boutin.
- Wernher von Braun and his first cousin, Maria Luise von Quistorp.
- Charles Bulfinch and his first cousin, Hannah Apthorp 
- John C. Calhoun, seventh Vice President of the United States, and his first cousin once removed, Floride Calhoun
- Jeanne Calment, the oldest person whose age was verified by official documents, and her second cousin, Fernand Calment 
- Benedict Swingate Calvert, third Proprietor Governor of Maryland and father of Eleanor Calvert, and his first cousin once removed Elizabeth Calvert
- Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the only Roman Catholic signer of the United States Declaration of Independence, and his second cousin, Mary Darnall 
- Charles Darwin and his first cousin, Emma Wedgwood. In addition, their grandparents, Sarah Wedgwood and Josiah Wedgwood, were third cousins.
- Mazo de la Roche and her orphaned younger cousin Caroline Clement
- Alfred I. du Pont, great-grandson of DuPont founder and his cousin-by-marriage, Bessie Gardner, as well as his second cousin, Alicia Bradford Maddox
- Andrew Jackson Donelson and his first cousin, Emily Donelson.
- Andrew Jackson Donelson and his first cousin, Elizabeth Martin Randolph.
- Albert Einstein and his first cousin (through his mother) and second cousin (through his father), Elsa Löwenthal née Einstein
- William Greenleaf Eliot, founder of Washington University in St. Louis (and grandfather of poet T. S. Eliot), married his first cousin once removed but more notable is that his father, mother, and wife were first cousins of each other.
- William Ellery, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his first cousin once removed, Abigail Cary
- William Crowninshield Endicott, former US Secretary of War, and his first cousin, Ellen Peabody
- Vivian Fuchs, British explorer, and his cousin Joyce Connell.
- John F. Fitzgerald, former mayor of Boston and grandfather of John F. Kennedy, and his second cousin Mary Josephine Hannon.
- Carlo Gambino, a mob boss, and his first cousin, Catherine Castellano
- André Gide, Nobel Prize-winning French author, and his cousin, Madeleine Rondeaux.
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman, American author, and her first cousin, George Houghton Gilman
- Carl Giles, cartoonist, and his cousin and wife, Joan Giles
- Rudy Giuliani, mayor of New York, 1994–2001, and his second cousin once removed, Regina Peruggi
- Duncan Grant, Scottish painter, who was in a relationship with his male cousin, the English writer Lytton Strachey.
- Edvard Grieg, Norwegian composer, and his first cousin, Nina Hagerup
- Benjamin Harrison V, American revolutionary leader, and his second cousin, Elizabeth Bassett
- Alexander Herzen, Russian writer and political activist, and his cousin, Natalya Zakharina.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., the poet, and his second cousin, Amelia Lee Jackson
- Stephen Hopkins, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his second cousin, Sarah Scott
- Saddam Hussein and his first cousin Sajida Talfah
- Jesse James and his first cousin, Zerelda "Zee" Mimms 
- Thomas Jefferson and his third cousin, Martha Wayles
- Jón Sigurðsson, leader of the 19th-century Icelandic independence movement, and his first cousin, Ingibjörg Einarsdóttir.
- Naoto Kan, former Prime Minister of Japan, and his first cousin, Nobuko
- Arthur Henry King married his second cousin Patricia.
- Nobusuke Kishi, former Japanese statesman, and his first cousin, Yoshiko Kishi
- David Lean, British film director, and his first wife (first cousin, Isabel Lean).
- Jerry Lee Lewis, rock and roll musician, and his first cousin once removed, Myra Gale Brown
- Abbott Lawrence Lowell, president of Harvard University, and his distant cousin, Anna Parker Lowell
- John A. Macdonald, first prime minister of Canada, and his first cousin, Isabella Clark
- Rob Roy MacGregor married his cousin Mary Helen MacGregor of Comar in January 1693.
- Gerardo Machado y Morales, fifth president of Cuba, and his first cousin, Elvira Machado Nodal
- Maeda Toshiie, Japanese Daimyō in the 15th century, and his cousin, Matsu.
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates, and his first cousin, Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum
- Thomas Malthus, British academic, and his first cousin once removed, Harriet Eckersall
- Delarivier Manley, British playwright and political satirist, and her first cousin John Manley
- Mao Zedong, founder of the People's Republic of China, and his second cousin Luo Yixiu
- Francis Marion, American revolutionary leader also called the "Swamp Fox," and his first cousin, Mary Esther Videau
- Abraham Maslow, father of humanistic psychology, and his first cousin, Bertha Goodman
- Matthew Fontaine Maury married his first cousin, Ann Hull Herndon, sister of Captain William Lewis Herndon, who died on his ship SS Central America.
- Darius Milhaud, French composer, and his first cousin, Madeleine Milhaud.
- Christopher Robin Milne, son of author A. A. Milne and the Christopher Robin of the Winnie-the-Pooh books, and his first cousin Lesley Sélincourt.
- Marina Mora, Peruvian beauty queen and former Miss Peru, and her first cousin Gustavo Mora.
- Mōri Terumoto, Japanese Daimyo in late 15th and early 16th century, and his cousin (first wife), Minami no Kata.
- Samuel Eliot Morison, historian, and his first cousin once removed, Agnes Priscilla Randolph Barton
- Samuel F. B. Morse, inventor of the Morse code, and his first cousin once removed, Sarah Elizabeth Griswold, his second wife
- Ignacy Mościcki,Polish chemist and president and his first cousin, Michalina Czyżewska
- Muhammad and the daughter of the sister of his father, Zaynab bint Jahsh
- Naoe Kanetsugu, Japanese samurai and Karō of the Uesugi clan in 15th and 16th century, and his cousin, Osen.
- Ōtomo no Yakamochi, Japanese statesman and waka poet in the Nara period, and his cousin, Sakanoue no Ōiratsume.
- Edgar Allan Poe and his cousin, Virginia Clemm
- Bolesław Prus, Polish novelist, and his cousin, Oktawia Trembińska.
- Sergei Rachmaninoff, composer, and his cousin, Natalia Satina
- Satyajit Ray, Indian film-maker, and his first cousin, Bijoya Ray
- José Rizal, Philippine national hero who had a relationship with his second cousin Leonor Rivera.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, US president, and his fifth cousin once removed, Anna Eleanor Roosevelt
- Eisaku Sato, prime minister of Japan, and his cousin, Hiroko Sato
- Greta Scacchi, actress of Presumed Innocent, and her first cousin, Carlo Mantegazza 
- Igor Stravinsky, composer, and his first cousin, Katerina Nossenko
- Mario Vargas Llosa, Peruvian writer and 2010 Nobel Prize laureate, and his first cousin Patricia Llosa.
- Martin Van Buren, US president, and his first cousin once removed, Hannah Hoes
- H. G. Wells, author, and his first cousin, Isabel Mary Wells (first wife)
- Zack Wheat, baseball player, and his second cousin, Daisy Forsman.
- William Whipple, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his first cousin, Catherine Moffatt
The royal couples listed below are but a sampling of the innumerable marriages that have occurred between cousins, of varying degrees, from royal or noble houses. Such royal intermarriages have been common, as it has generally been deemed inappropriate for royals to marry commoners.
Due to the constitutional interest that has attached to royals' marital status, as well as the fact that genealogical records for royal houses tend to be more readily available than those for commoners, their bloodlines are generally better known than those of commoners.
- Airlangga, regional king of Bali, Indonesia and his first cousin
- King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand and his first cousin once removed Mom Rajawongse Sirikit Kitiyakara
- Prithviraj Chauhan of India and his first cousin once removed Sanyogita.
- King Darius I of Persia and his third cousin, Atossa
- Emperor Ichijō of Japan and his wife Fujiwara no Akiko
- Emperor Kōbun of Japan and Empress Tōchi
- King Kamehameha the Great of Hawaiʻi and his second cousins: Queen Kaahumanu, Queen Kaheiheimālie and Queen Namahana Piʻia
- Alexander Liholiho King Kamehameha IV of Hawaiʻi and his second cousin, Queen Emma Kaleleonalani Naʻea
- Hussein of Jordan and his first cousin once removed Sharifa Dina bint 'Abdu'l-Hamid
- Prince Hamzah bin Al Hussein and his second cousin Princess Noor Hamzah
- Prince Nagaya of Japan and his wife Princess Kibi
- Prince Shōtoku of Japan and his wife Princess Uji no Kaitako
- Zaitian, the Guangxu Emperor and his first cousin, Yehenara Jingfen
- Emperor Hirohito of Japan and his distant cousin Princess Nagako of Kuni
- Crown Prince Sado of Joseon and his fourth cousin twice removed Lady Hong Hyegyeong
- Vajiralongkorn, Crown Prince of Thailand and his first cousin Mom Luang Soamsavali Kitiyakara
- Zaichun, the Tongzhi Emperor and his second cousin Lady Alute
- Emperor Taizong of Tang and his second cousin Consort Yang
- Emperor Zhongzong of Tang and his first cousin Lady Zhao
- Emperor Xianzong of Tang and his first cousin once removed Lady Guo
- Emperor Wen of Western Wei and his first cousin Lady Yifu
- Takako, Princess Suga of Japan and her distant cousin Hisanaga Shimazu
- Emperor Wu of Han and his first cousin Chen Jiao
- Emperor Guangwu of Han and his fifth cousin once removed Guo Shengtong
- Puyi, Xuantong Emperor and his fourth cousin thrice-removed Gobulo Wan Rong
- Princess Wen Ying (younger sister of Puyi) and her fourth cousin thrice-removed Gobulo Runliang (full older brother of Wan Rong)
- Princess Wen Wing (younger sister of Puyi) and her fourth cousin thrice-removed Gobulo Runqi (younger half-brother of Wan Rong)
- Princess Baling of Tang (daughter of Emperor Taizong of Tang) and her first cousin Chai Lingwu, Duke of Xiangyang
- Emperor Ruizong of Tang and his second cousin Consort Dou
- Princess Taiping of Tang (daughter of Emperor Gaozong of Tang) and her first husband and first cousin Xue Shao, as well as her second husband and second cousin Wu Youji, Prince Zhongdian of Ding
- Li Xianhui, Lady Yongtai (daughter of Emperor Zhongzong of Tang) and her first cousin Wu Yanji, Prince of Wei
- Li Guo'er, Princess Anle and her first husband and second cousin Wu Chongxun, Prince of Gaoyang, as well as her second husband and first cousin Wu Yanxiu, Prince of Huaiyang
- King Muyeol of Silla and his first cousin once removed Kim Mun-hui (posthumously known as Queen Munmyeong)
- Princess Cheonmyeong of Silla (daughter of King Jinpyeong of Silla) and her first cousin once removed Kim Yongsu
- State Princess Wenxian (daughter of the Kangxi Emperor) and her second cousin Tunggiya Shun’anyan
- King Xerxes I of Persia and his first cousin Amestris
- King Antiochus III the Great of the Seleucid Empire and his first cousin Princess Laodice of Pontus
- King Mithridates III of Commagene and his first cousin Princess Isias Philostorgos of Cappadocia
- King Antiochus VIII Grypus of the Seleucid Empire and his first cousin Princess Tryphaena of Egypt
- Gaius Julius Archelaus Antiochus Epiphanes and his fourth cousin or third cousin once removed Claudia Capitolina
- This Day in History in 1828, www.history.com. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- HOASM: Johann Sebastian Bach, Here of a Sunday Morning. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Goodrich, Charles A. (1829). Lives of the Signers to the Declaration of Independence, pp. 131-38. New York: William Reed & Co.
- "Christine Boutin poursuivra en justice ceux qui l'attaquent sur son mari (et cousin germain)", ozap.com, 5-29-2013.
- Bob Ward. Dr. Space: The Life of Wernher von Braun. p. 72.
- Charles Bulfinch biography, nndb. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Floride Bonneau Colhoun Calhoun (Mrs. John C. Calhoun), Clemson University. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Jeanne Calment, World's Elder, Dies at 122, The New York Times. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- THREE GENERATIONS OF CARROLLS, Charles Carroll House. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Intimate Disclosures in Darwin Letters, The New York Times, 8-29-1915. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Peter Raven & George Johnson (1995). Understanding Biology 3rd Edition. Wm. C. Brown Communications. p. 287. ISBN 0-697-22213-6.
- "THE MYSTERY OF MAZO DE LA ROCHE". Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Alfred I. duPont Papers". Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Albert Einstein -- Great Minds, Great Thinkers, edInformatics. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Notable Kin: NEW HAMPSHIRE, RHODE ISLAND, AND CONSTITUTION SIGNERS[dead link], New England Historic Genealogical Society. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Notable Kin: Boston Cousins of Queen Victoria and Yankee Ancestors of Mrs. Thomas Philip, New England Historic Genealogical Society. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Beau Riffenburgh. Encyclopedia of the Antarctic - Volume 1. Taylor & Francis. p. 424.
- Goodwin, Doris Kearns (2001). The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys: An American Saga. Simon and Schuster. pp.88-89.
- Carlo Gambino, His Rise As New York's Mafia King, John J. Flood and Jim McGough. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Jocelyn Van Tuyl (2012). Andre Gide and the Second World War: A Novelist's Occupation. SUNY Press. p. 5.
- Biographies - Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Gale Group. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Jeffrey Ian Ross. Encyclopedia of Street Crime in America. SAGE. p. 177.
- Spalding, Frances. Duncan Grant: A Biography. Random House. ISBN 0-7126-6640-0.
- Edward and Nina Grieg, Peter Hughes. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- The Bloodlines of Statesment and Noblemen, Pat Roberts. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Monica Partridge. Alexander Herzen: 1812-1870. p. 21.
- Notable Kin - The Flowering of New England, Part Two: The Poets Bryant, Holmes, Longfellow, J.R. Lowell, and Whittier[dead link], Gary Boyd Roberts. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Notable Kin: NEW HAMPSHIRE, RHODE ISLAND, AND CONSTITUTION SIGNERS[dead link], New England Historic and Genealogical Society. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Zee James - Wife of Jesse James, Kathy Weiser. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Roberts, Gary Boyd (April–May 1993). "The Royal Descents of Jane Pierce, Alice and Edith Roosevelt, Helen Taft, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Barbara Bush". American Ancestors. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
...Mrs. Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson (1748-82), wife of Bathurst Skelton and Thomas Jefferson, was a third cousin of her second husband...
- Subtle change of seasons, The Economist. Retrieved 8-06-2010.
- Nobusuke Kishi Biography, Encyclopedia of World Biography. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Howard Maxford. David Lean. p. 14.
- Myra Lewis-Williams Interview
- The Straight Dope: What's wrong with cousins marrying?
- Harvard's Unitarian Presidents - Abbott Lawrence Lowell, Katia Savchuk. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- The Great Enterprise, CBC. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Gerardo Machado, History of Cuba. Retrieved 1-29-2010.
- Conversations with Maltus, Dr Suzanne Rickard. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- , Delarivier Manely
- Mao's paternal grandmother and Luo's paternal grandfather were siblings
- Brigadier General Francis Marion of the American Army, myrevolutionarywar.com. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Abraham Maslow, nndb. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Madeleine Milhaud: Actress wife of the composer, The Independent. Retrieved 9-6-2010.
- , "Marina Mora se casa con su primo hermano ". Retrieved 9-21-2010.
- Morse Papers, Library of Congress. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Outlines of English and American Literature, William J. Long. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Tyszkiewicz, Teresa (1971). Bolesław Prus. Warsaw: Państwowe Zakłady Wydawnictw Szkolnych. pp. 28–30.
- Biography of Sergei Rachmaninoff, Sonal Panse. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Arup Kr De, "Ties that Bind" by The Statesman, Calcutta, 27 April 2008. Quote: "Satyajit Ray had an unconventional marriage. He married Bijoya (born 1917), youngest daughter of his eldest maternal uncle, Charuchandra Das, in 1948 in a secret ceremony in Bombay after a long romantic relationship that had begun around the time he left college in 1940. The marriage was reconfirmed in Calcutta the next year at a traditional religious ceremony."
- Biography of Eleanor Roosevelt, FDR Library. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- The Wife Tells All, Time Magazine. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- This much I know: Greta Scacchi, actor, 48, Sussex, The Observer. Retrieved 1-04-2009.
- Igor Stravinsky, nndb. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Shogun and Samurai - Tales of Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, and Ieyasu, Okanoya Shigezane. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Williams, Raymond L. (2001), Vargas Llosa: otra historia de un deicidio, Mexico: Taurus, p. 54, ISBN 968-19-0814-7
- Martin van Buren, The New Netherland Institute. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- H.G. Wells, Free Online Library. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- , "Society for American Baseball Research"/ Retrieved 4-8-2012.
- William Whipple and the Declaration of Independence, Speech given by Comrade Joseph Foster, Paymaster U.S. Navy, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, 11-20-1892. Retrieved 3-13-2008.
- Traditio 23. Canonical Implications of Richard III's Plan to Marry His Niece. Kelly, H.A. 1967 pp. 269-311.
- Les Cahiers de Saint Louis. Dupont, Jacques and Saillot, Jacques. 1987. Angers et Nantes, p. 755. (In French).
- Europäische Stammtafeln Neue Folge. Armagnac, Cte d' (Lomagne). Schwennicke, Detlev, editor. Volume III, Section 3, Table 571. (In German)
- Also uncle and niece
- Both were great-grandchildren of the Jiaqing Emperor
- Both were great-grandchildren of General Dugu Xin
- His father (Emperor Gaozong) and her mother (Princess Changle) were siblings.
- They were both grandchildren of Emperor Gaozu of Tang and his wife Duchess Dou
- Xue Shao was the son of Princess Chengyang, Emperor Gaozong's sister, by her second husband Xue Yao
- Both were grandchildren of Wu Shihuo, Duke Ding of Ying.
- Eldest son of Wu Zetian's nephew Wu Chengsi, Prince Xuan of Wei.
- Both were great-grandchildren of Wu Shihuo, Duke Ding of Ying. Princess Anle was the granddaughter of Wu Shihuo's second daughter Empress Wu Zetian, while Wu Chongxun was the grandson of Wu Shihuo's elder son Wu Yuanqing.
- Second son of Wu Zetian's nephew Wu Chengsi, Prince Xuan of Wei.