List of current Indian chief ministers
In the Republic of India, a chief minister is the head of government of each of twenty-eight states and two union territories (Delhi and Puducherry). According to the Constitution of India, at the state-level, the governor is de jure head, but de facto executive authority rests with the chief minister. Following elections to the state legislative assembly, the governor usually invites the party (or coalition) with a majority of seats to form the government. The governor appoints the chief minister, whose council of ministers are collectively responsible to the assembly. Given he has the assembly's confidence, the chief minister's term is usually for a maximum of five years; there are no limits to the number of terms he/she can serve.
Since February and March 2014 respectively, the offices of Chief Minister of Delhi and Andhra Pradesh have been vacant, as President's rule is in force there. Of the 28 incumbents, 3 are women—Jayalalithaa in Tamil Nadu, Mamata Banerjee in West Bengal, and Vasundhara Raje in Rajasthan. Serving since December 1994 (for 19 years, 126 days), Sikkim's Pawan Kumar Chamling has the longest incumbency. Parkash Singh Badal (b. 1927) of Punjab is the oldest chief minister, while Jharkhand's Hemant Soren (b. 1975) is the youngest. Eleven incumbents belong to the Indian National Congress and five are from the Bharatiya Janata Party; no other party has more than one chief minister in power.
Current Indian chief ministers
- Colour key for parties
- This column only names the chief minister's party. The state government he heads may be a complex coalition of several parties and independents; these are not listed here.
- When President's rule is in force in a state, its council of ministers stands dissolved. The office of chief minister thus lies vacant.
- Although Delhi and Puducherry each have an elected legislature and a council of ministers (headed by the chief minister), they are officially union territories.
- List of current Indian governors
- List of female Indian chief ministers
- List of chief ministers from Bharatiya Janata Party
- List of chief ministers from Communist Party of India (Marxist)
- Durga Das Basu. Introduction to the Constitution of India. 1960. 20th Edition, 2011 Reprint. pp. 241, 245. LexisNexis Butterworths Wadhwa Nagpur. ISBN 978-81-8038-559-9.
- Ajoy Ashirwad Mahaprashasta. "Bucking the trend". Frontline. Volume 29, issue 6, 24 March – 6 April 2012.
- Amberish K. Diwanji. "A dummy's guide to President's rule". Rediff.com. 15 March 2005.
- "Telangana Bill signed by President, Andhra Pradesh now under President's Rule". NDTV. 1 March 2014.
- Sushanta Talukdar. "Nabam Tuki sworn in as Chief Minister". The Hindu. 2 November 2011.
- Chief Minister of Assam profile. Government of Assam. Retrieved on 17 February 2013.
- "Nitish promises 'good governance'". The Hindu. 25 November 2005.
- Aarti Dhar. "Raman Singh takes oath". The Hindu. 8 December 2003.
- "President’s rule imposed in New Delhi". The Indian Express. 17 February 2014.
- Prakash Kamat. "Parrikar promises to wipe out corruption". The Hindu. 9 March 2012.
- Manas Dasgupta. "Modi sworn in Gujarat CM amidst fanfare". The Hindu. 8 October 2001.
- Rajesh Ahuja. "Hooda sworn in Haryana Chief Minister". The Hindu. 6 March 2005.
- "Virbhadra Singh sworn in as CM". The Hindu. 26 December 2012.
- Shujaat Bukhari. "Omar sworn in J&K Chief Minister". The Hindu. 6 January 2009.
- Anumeha Yadav. "Hemant Soren becomes ninth Chief Minister of Jharkhand". The Hindu. 14 July 2013.
- "Siddaramaiah sworn in as Chief Minister of Karnataka". The Hindu. 13 May 2013.
- "Chandy sworn in as Kerala Chief Minister". The Hindu. 19 May 2011.
- "Shivraj Chauhan sworn in Chief Minister". The Hindu. 30 November 2005.
- "Prithviraj Chavan, Ajit Pawar sworn in". The Hindu. 12 November 2010.
- "SPF stakes claim to form ministry in Manipur". The Hindu. 3 March 2002.
- "Mukul Sangma sworn in as Chief Minister". The Hindu. 21 April 2010.
- "Lal Thanhawla sworn in as Mizoram chief minister". The Times of India. 11 December 2008.
- Sushanta Talukdar. "Rio sworn in Nagaland Chief Minister". The Hindu. 13 March 2008.
- N. Ramdas. "Naveen Govt. installed". The Hindu. 6 March 2000.
- "Rangasamy sworn in Puducherry CM". The Hindu. 17 May 2011.
- "Parkash Singh Badal, 17 Ministers sworn in". The Hindu. 3 March 2007.
- "Vasundhara swearing-in, a show of strength". The Hindu. 13 December 2013.
- Biodata Of Hon'ble Chief Minister. Government of Sikkim. Retrieved on 17 February 2013.
- T. Ramakrishnan. "Jayalalithaa sworn in, gives clearance to new proposals". The Hindu. 17 May 2011.
- "Manik Sarkar sworn in as Tripura CM". Rediff.com. 11 March 1998.
- "Akhilesh may start off with a small Cabinet". The Hindu. 15 March 2012.
- Kavita Upadhyay. "Harish Rawat sworn in Uttarakhand Chief Minister". The Hindu. 1 February 2014.
- "Mamata, 37 Ministers sworn in". The Hindu. 21 May 2011.