List of current NHL captains and alternate captains
The National Hockey League (NHL) is a professional ice hockey league composed of 30 teams, founded in 1917. Each team may select a captain, who has the "privilege of discussing with the referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the progress of a game". Each team is also permitted to select alternate captains, who serve when the captain is not on the ice. Captains are required to wear the letter "C" on their uniform for identification; alternate captains wear the letter "A". Both letters are 3 inches (7.6 cm) in height.
Some teams in the NHL have no captain, either by choice or due to injury. Rule 6.2 of the 2008–09 Official NHL Rulebook indicates that "[only] when the Captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game." Many NHL teams with a named captain select more than two alternate captains and rotate the "A" among these players throughout the season.
Goaltenders are not permitted to act as captains during games. This rule was instituted in 1948 after teams complained that it took Montreal Canadiens goaltender Bill Durnan too long to skate to talk with the officials and back to his crease. However, Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo served as captain for two seasons 2008-09 and 2009-10, but because of the NHL rule against goaltender captains, the league did not allow Luongo to serve as captain on-ice. As a result, the Canucks were allowed to dress three alternate captains in games, as opposed to the league standard of two. Two (of the three) alternate captains handled on-ice duties in Luongo's place. Luongo was not allowed to wear the "C" on his jersey, but it was incorporated into the artwork on the front of his mask. Other than Durnan and Luongo, five other goaltenders have captained their team: John Ross Roach of the Toronto St. Patricks, George Hainsworth of the Montreal Canadiens, Roy Worters of the New York Americans, Alex Connell of the Ottawa Senators, and Charlie Gardiner of the Chicago Black Hawks.
When named, Gabriel Landeskog of the Colorado Avalanche became the youngest permanent captain in NHL history. Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Vincent Lecavalier, former captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning, are the second and third-youngest when first named captains. In 1984, Brian Bellows was named interim captain of the Minnesota North Stars when Craig Hartsburg was injured, and is the youngest player to captain a team in NHL history. However, because Bellows served only as an interim captain, Gabriel Landeskog retains the distinction of being the youngest permanent captain in NHL history. Mark Messier holds the distinction as the only player to captain two separate teams to Stanley Cup championships. He captained both the 1990 Edmonton Oilers and the 1994 New York Rangers.
The following list shows the captains and alternate captains appointed for the 2013–14 NHL season.
- "Rule 6 - Captain and Alternate Captains". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- Buffery, Steve (2008-10-09). "Stalled Stajan". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- "Kings' Brown, Sabres' Rivet named captains". Canwest News Service. 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- The Canadian Press (2008-10-05). "Luongo sports captain's 'C' on goalie mask". CBC Sports. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Canucks name goaltender Luongo as team captain". The Sports Network. 2008-09-30. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- Joe Pelletier (2008-09-30). "Captain Puckstopper". Joe Pelletier. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Toews named 34th captain in team history". Chicago Blackhawks. 2008-07-18. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- McKeon, Ross (2007-12-10). "Mailbag: More Crosby". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- "Anaheim Ducks team roster". Anaheim Ducks. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Boston Bruins team roster". Boston Bruins. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Buffalo Sabres team roster". Buffalo Sabres. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Calgary Flames team roster". Calgary Flames. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Carolina Hurricanes team roster". Carolina Hurricanes. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Chicago Blackhawks team roster". Chicago Blackhawks. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Colorado Avalanche team roster". Colorado Avalanche. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Columbus Blue Jackets team roster". Columbus Blue Jackets. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Dallas Stars team roster". Dallas Stars. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Detroit Red Wings team roster". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "Edmonton Oilers team roster". Edmonton Oilers. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Wescott, Chris. "Ference tabbed as leader of Oilers". edmontonoilers.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Staples, David. "Edmonton Oilers name alternate captains including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Florida Panthers team roster". Florida Panthers. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Los Angeles Kings team roster". Los Angeles Kings. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Minnesota Wild team roster". Minnesota Wild. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "Montreal Canadiens team roster". Montreal Canadiens. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- "Nashville Predators team roster". Nashville Predators. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "New Jersey Devils team roster". New Jersey Devils. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "New York Islanders team roster". New York Islanders. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "New York Rangers team roster". New York Rangers. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Ottawa Senators team roster". Ottawa Senators. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Philadelphia Flyers team roster". Philadelphia Flyers. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Phoenix Coyotes team roster". Phoenix Coyotes. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Pittsburgh Penguins team roster". Pittsburgh Penguins. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "St. Louis Blues team roster". St. Louis Blues. Retrieved 2013-03-30.
- "San Jose Sharks team roster". San Jose Sharks. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Tampa Bay Lightning team roster". Tampa Bay Lightning. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Toronto Maple Leafs team roster". Toronto Maple Leafs. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Vancouver Canucks team roster". Vancouver Canucks. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Washington Capitals team roster". Washington Capitals. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "Winnipeg Jets team roster". Winnipeg Jets. Retrieved 2013-11-16.