List of current heads of state and government
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
This is a list of current heads of state and government, showing heads of state and heads of government where different, mainly in parliamentary systems; often a leader is both in presidential systems. Some states have semi-presidential systems where the head of government role is fulfilled by both the listed head of government and the head of state.
The list includes the names of the recently elected or appointed heads of state who will take office on an appointed date.
Member states and observers of the United Nations
- Legend: Names in small font generally denote acting, transitional, temporary leaders or representatives. Other notes and exceptions are provided in the References section below.
The following states control their territory and are recognised by at least one UN member state.
These alternative governments are recognized as a sovereign state by at least one UN member.
|Government||Also claimed by||Head of State||Head of Government|
|Syrian Interim Government||Syria||President - Hadi al-Bahra||Prime Minister - Ahmad Tu'mah|
- List of current foreign ministers
- List of current presidents of assembly
- List of current vice presidents
- List of current dependent territory leaders
- List of elected or appointed female heads of government
- List of elected or appointed female heads of state
- Lists of office-holders
- List of current state leaders by date of assumption of office
- List of current longest ruling non-royal national leaders
- List of longest-ruling non-royal national leaders since 1900
- Lists of state leaders by year
- List of state leaders in 2014
- Lists of state leaders
- List of current Permanent Representatives to the United Nations
- List of countries by system of government
- List of leaders of dependent territories
- The President of France and the French Co-Prince of Andorra are positions held by the same person
- Queen Elizabeth II is separately and equally monarch of 16 sovereign states and 2 associated states sometimes known collectively as the Commonwealth realms. In each of these countries, with the exception of the United Kingdom (where she predominantly resides), she is represented at the national level by a governor-general (unhyphenated in Canada as governor general). In some of these countries, opinion differs as to whether the Queen or governor-general should be designated as head of state; there is no questioning of the Queen's position as sovereign, above the governors-general, however.
- The Governor-General of New Zealand and the Governor-General of Niue are positions held by the same person.
- Supreme Leader is used as a description, for sake of brevity, rather than being an offical title of single office. The actual offices held by Kim Jong-un are: First Secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, First Chairman of the National Defence Commission, Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army.
- The Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly accepts the credentials of foreign ambassadors, signs treaties, receives visiting heads of state and represents North Korea on all state visits—the ceremonial functions normally performed by a head of state in other countries. The Chaiman of the Presidium has held these duties since 5 September 1998, when the Constitution of North Korea was revised.
- States in free association with New Zealand.
- The three-member presidency is the head of state collectively.
- The seven-member Swiss Federal Council is the collective Head of State and the government of the Swiss Confederation. Within the Council, the President of the Swiss Confederation serves solely in a primus inter pares capacity for one year.
- Mikayla Bouchard (23 September 2014). "Syrian Opposition Leader: 'We Need Your Assistance'". ABC News. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- United Nations list of heads of state, heads of government and foreign ministers
- List of current heads and State of Government by CIDOB (Spanish)
- Rulers.org List of rulers throughout time and places
- List of official websites for heads of state