List of districts of Haryana
Haryana a state in the northern region of India and is the nation's seventeenth most populous. The state borders with Punjab and Himachal Pradesh to the north and Rajasthan to the west and south. The river Yamuna defines its eastern border with Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh. Haryana also surrounds Delhi on three sides, forming the northern, western and southern borders of Delhi. Consequently, a large area of Haryana is included in the National Capital Region.
On 1 November 1966 Haryana emerged as a separate state with seven districts, according to the partition plan of the then East Punjab. The partition was based on the linguistic demographics and was held after the recommendation of Sardar Hukam Singh—the then Speaker of the Lok Sabha—Parliamentary Committee. A further 14 districts were added later by re-organizing the erstwhile districts.
A district of Haryana state is an administrative geographical unit, headed by a Deputy Commissioner or District Magistrate, an officer belonging to the Indian Administrative Service. The district magistrate or the deputy commissioner is assisted by a number of officers belonging to Haryana Civil Service and other state services.
A Superintendent of Police, an officer belonging to the Indian Police Service is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues of the district. He is assisted by the officers of the Haryana Police Service and other Haryana Police officials.
A Deputy Conservator of Forests, an officer belonging to the Indian Forest Service is responsible for managing the Forests, environment and wild-life related issues of the district. He is assisted by the officers of the Haryana Forest Service and other Haryana Forest officials and Haryana Wild-Life officials.
Sectoral development is looked after by the district head of each development department such as PWD, Health, Education, Agriculture, Animal husbandry, etc. These officers belong to the various State Services.
- The details of the twenty-one districts of Haryana state are as follows:
|District||Code||Headquarters||Established||Area (in km²)||Population (As of 2011[update])||Map|
|Ambala||AM||Ambala Haryana||1 November 1966||1,574||1,136,784|
|Bhiwani||BH||Bhiwani||22 December 1972||4,778||1,629,109|
|Faridabad||FR||Faridabad||2 August 1979||1,792||1,798,954|
|Fatehabad||FT||Fatehabad||15 July 1997||2,538||941,522|
|Gurgaon||GU||Gurgaon||1 November 1966||1,253||1,514,085|
|Hisar||HI||Hisar||1 November 1966||3,983||1,742,815|
|Jhajjar||JH||Jhajjar||15 July 1997||1,834||956,907|
|Jind||JI||Jind||1 November 1966||2,702||1,332,042|
|Kaithal||KT||Kaithal||1 November 1989||2,317||1,072,861|
|Karnal||KR||Karnal||1 November 1966||2,520||1,506,323|
|Kurukshetra||KU||Kurukshetra||23 January 1973||1,530||964,231|
|Mahendragarh||MA||Narnaul||1 November 1966||1,859||921,680|
|Mewat||MW||Nuh||4 April 2005||1,874||1,089,406|
|Palwal||PL||Palwal||13 August 2008||1,359||1,040,493|
|Panchkula||PK||Panchkula||15 August 1995||898||558,890|
|Panipat||PP||Panipat||1 November 1987||1,268||1,202,811|
|Rewari||RE||Rewari||1 November 1989||1,582||896,129|
|Rohtak||RO||Rohtak||1 November 1966||1,745||1,058,683|
|Sirsa||SI||Sirsa||26 August 1975||4,277||1,295,114|
|Sonipat||SO||Sonipat||22 December 1972||2,122||1,480,080|
|Yamuna Nagar||YN||Yamunanagar||1 November 1989||1,768||1,214,162|
- "Districts of India – Haryana". india.gov.in. Government of India. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Size, Growth Rate and Distribution of Population – Ranking of States and Union Territories by population: 2001 and 2011" (PDF). censusindia.gov.in. Ministry of Home Affairs – Office of the Register General & Census Commissioner. p. 47. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "Haryana". Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 2011. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Khanna, C. L. (2008). Haryana General Knowledge. Delhi: Upkar Prakashan. pp. 10–11. ISBN 81-7482-383-2.
- "Districts of India". Statoids.com. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "NIC Policy on format of e-mail Address". mail.nic.in. National Informatics Center. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- "District-wise Population of Haryana" (DOC). censusindia.gov.in. Ministry of Home Affairs – Office of the Register General & Census Commissioner. Retrieved 18 July 2011.