List of generating stations in Newfoundland and Labrador
This is a list of electrical generating stations in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
Newfoundland and Labrador has forty-eight power stations, and mainly rely on hydropower for its generation needs. The province's main power station, the 5,428-megawatt Churchill Falls Generating Station, mainly supplies Quebec, under a 65-year contract, due to expire in 2041.
Newfoundland Power, a subsidiary of St. John's-based Fortis Inc., is the retailer of electricity for most areas in the province. Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, a subsidiary of government-owned Nalcor Energy, owns and operates most generation, the transmission grid and sells directly to large industrial customers. The company also serves remote communities not connected to the main power grids, in Newfoundland and in Labrador.
List of hydroelectric power stations in Newfoundland and Labrador.
List of all wind farms in Newfoundland and Labrador.
|Fermeuse Wind Project||27||Fermeuse||SkyPower||Wind|||
|Ramea Wind-Hydrogen-Diesel Energy Project||0.3||Ramea||Nalcor Energy||Wind, Diesel, Hydrogen|||
|St. Lawrence Wind Project||27||St. Lawrence||NeWind Group Inc.||Wind|||
List of other power stations in Newfoundland and Labrador.
|Corner Brook Biomass Cogen.||15||Corner Brook||Kruger Energy||Biomass|||
|Holyrood Thermal Generating Station||490||Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro||Fuel oil|||
|Hardwoods Turbine Station||1976||50||Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro||Diesel Turbine|
|Stephenville Turbine Station||50||Stephenville||Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro||Diesel Turbine|
- Most of the station generation is sold Hydro-Québec under a 65-year contract expiring in 2041.
- This generating station is under contract by Hydro-Québec to serve off-grid loads in the Schefferville, Quebec area.
- This generating station was put into extended shutdown in 1974, and the water diverted to Churchill Falls.
- Statistics Canada, Electric Power Generating Stations, 2004 (Catalog 57-206), Ottawa: Statistics Canada, pp. 19–50, quoted in: Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro (2006), IC-1 NLH, NLH Capital Budget, St. John's, NL: Board of Commissioners of Public Utilities - Newfoundland and Labrador, retrieved 2010-08-30
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Bay d'Espoir Hydroelectric Generating Facility, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2008), An Act To Return To The Crown Certain Rights Relating to Timber and Water Use Vested in Abitibi-Consolidated and to Expropriate Assets and Lands Associated with the Generation of Electricity Enabled by those Water Use Rights (S.N.L., chapter A-1.01), retrieved 2010-08-29
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Cat Arm Hydroelectric Generating Station, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Nalcor Energy, Churchill Falls, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Hydro-Québec (April 2010), Shaping The Future : Annual Report 2009, Montreal, p. 52, ISBN 978-2-550-58101-7, ISSN 0702-6706, retrieved 2010-04-08
- Kruger Energy, Deer Lake Power, retrieved 2010-08-30
- Newfoundland Power (21 April 2010), Sustainable Energy Report, retrieved 2010-08-30
- Fortis Inc. (3 November 2003), Exploits River Hydro Partnership brings 30-Megawatt Beeton Unit On-line Two Months Ahead of Schedule, retrieved 2010-08-29
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Granite Canal Hydroelectric Generating Station, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Hinds Lake Hydroelectric Generating Station, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro (15 November 2007), Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Hydro-Québec and Iron Ore Company of Canada reach an agreement to supply electricity to three northern Québec communities, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Paradise River Hydroelectric Generating Station, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Algonquin Power, Rattle Brook, retrieved 2010-08-25
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Roddickton Hydro Plant, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Snook Arm and Benams Bight, retrieved 2010-08-24
- Enel North America, Star Lake Hydroelectric Project, retrieved 2010-08-29
- Roberts, Terry (21 February 2009), "Province made bid for Star Lake", The Telegram (St. John's), retrieved 2010-08-29
- Green, Peter, The History of Churchill Falls, IEEE Canada, retrieved 2010-08-31
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Upper Salmon Hydroelectric Generating Station, retrieved 2010-08-24
- SkyPower (2 July 2009), SkyPower Achieves Commercial In-service Designation for North America's Most Easterly Wind Power Project, Toronto, retrieved 2010-08-22
- Nalcor Energy (January 2010), Ramea Report, retrieved 2010-08-22
- ENEL North America (16 September 2010), First Canadian Wind Farm Inaugurated by ENEL Green Power, retrieved 2010-08-22
- Kruger Energy, Brompton Biomass Cogeneration Plant, retrieved 2010-08-22
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, Thermal Generation, retrieved 2010-08-22
- Churchill Falls Labrador Corporation Limited
- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro
- Newfoundland Power
- Energy in Canada
- List of power stations in Canada